Heard on ESPN radio/Van Pelt Bills interested in acquiring Cassell

Willis990

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about we let each team keep their QBs and we swap the rest of our rosters and coaches. What good is bringing in another QB when he won't have the players around him to succeed. The Bills problem isn't QB.

HA... thats comical... He may be good one day, but he isnt close to that yet, so until he gets there, QB play will still be a problem. And if ever gets there, the question still remains if he can stay healthy...

I have said before that I dont think our staff is as sold on Trent as a lot of the posters on this board. The mysterious injury so JP could play the second half seems real fishy to me. Not to mention, he regressed this year as the season went on and seemed rattled even with time in the pocket.

So, for arguments sake, lets assume the Bills do have interest in Cassel but a trade does NOT get finalized for what ever reason. Does that open the door that the Bills may surprise us all and grab Stafford or Sanchez if either falls to us at #11?

It is one of them.

QB is not a priority issue, he just needs players around him. He's shown when he has protection and WRs open, he can make the plays. The team would be in better shape with a stronger pass rush, a complimentary WR and TE to Evans, a more consistant offensive line, and better coaching, then a change at QB.

QB is not priority issue, he just needs players around him. He's shown when he has protection and WRs open, he can make the plays. The team would be in better shape with a stronger pass rush, a complimentary WR and TE to Evans, a more consistant offensive line, and better coaching, then a change at QB.

Huh? No offense, but did you watch the Bills this year?

As the season went on, Trent consistently didnt see wide open WR's and checked down way too often. He had a 4 game stretch of 3 TD's and 11 turnovers. He is very slow in his reads which leads to his checkdowns. He struggled even with a lot of time in the pocket. You put a player such as McNabb on this squad this past year and we would have won our division and made a strong push for the SB. QB is the most important position on the field, and ours has been subpar where he has thrown for less than 200 yards in almost half his starts (11 times in 23 games) and only passed for more than 1 TD this year once...

He could take a big step forward this year, but right now that is just speculation. People like to talk about his potential as if it has translated to on field production. The most boggling thing on this board for me is how often potential is confused for actual on field play.

Again, he may make a big leap this year, but his play last year definitely doesnt suggest that its a certainty, especially when you consider he regressed as the year progressed.

Great, Ralph is picking the QB again and they're giving up on another.

Two things could happen this offseason that would make it hard to remain a Bills fan:

1. Peters is traded for draft picks. That cements the reality that it's not about building a winner, but saving dollars.

2. Buffalo gives up draft picks to acquire another QB from the Patriots. Belichick has already out-done this team once. If, and it's a huge if, they make a trade for Cassel it's over for this franchise. Not saying MC is a bad QB, but he was in a perfect system in NE.

I'm not sold on Trent Edwards, but I definitely think that Ralph needs to mind his business in regards to personnel of the team. He "really liked" Edwards.. He "really liked" Dwayne Wright. STICK TO OWNING THE TEAM G-DAMMIT

2. Buffalo gives up draft picks to acquire another QB from the Patriots. Belichick has already out-done this team once. If, and it's a huge if, they make a trade for Cassel it's over for this franchise. Not saying MC is a bad QB, but he was in a perfect system in NE.

I am curious....what makes NE a perfect system to the point that MC wouldn't be a good player somewhere else? Last I looked, their running game was inconsistent and the OL struggled most of the year and his TE's werent healthy either. He still managed to put up pretty good numbers and actually got better as the year went on. I know Moss and Welker are great WR's, but Moss didnt do much in Oakland with bad QB play, yet Moss was still pretty good this year with Cassel at QB.

I know Bellicheat is looked at as the best coach or one of the best coaches in the NFL, but the players still have to execute and Cassel did a pretty good job and showed considerable growth and poise considering he hadnt played since HS.

Two things could happen this offseason that would make it hard to remain a Bills fan:

1. Peters is traded for draft picks. That cements the reality that it's not about building a winner, but saving dollars.

Aren't numbers 1 & 2 opposites?

On the one hand you say you don't want to trade a disgruntled player for draft picks.

On the other hand you say you don't want to trade draft picks for a gruntled player.

"Wilson really liking him"??

Remember the last time that happened?

Remember "he reminds me of a Monet...."?

Rob Johnson was that masterpiece.

You have no idea how much it pains me to admit I agree with a person (I'm looking in your direction WEO) who accused me of having peenis (sic) envy for Tedy Bruschi, but I can be the bigger man (even if I have penis envy I guess :( ), I was just going to say, I think we've seen this one-trick-dog-and-pony-show before.

(yes I know I screwed up the saying it's for beerball's benefit) <_<

Aren't numbers 1 & 2 opposites?

On the one hand you say you don't want to trade a disgruntled player for draft picks.

On the other hand you say you don't want to trade draft picks for a gruntled player.

No.

Peters is a known commodity. His 08 season was lackluster, but the skill-set is there to be an outstanding LT.

OTOH, I'm not convinced of Cassel's ability to be a franchise QB. He rarely threw the ball more than 15 yards downfield and if people think Edwards' arm isn't great, they'll feel the same about Cassel. And he won't have Randy Moss and Wes Welker to throw to wherever he goes. Nor Belichick and Brady to guide him when things go wrong.

I think that is a bad idea...not sure why but Cassell reminds me of another Rob Johnson scenario. He had one good year in a friendly system surrounded by a lot of very good players.

Johnson had one good game, Cassell had one good season. However, either the Patriots are geniuses at player development and scouting, or their system makes a lot of QBs look better than the otherwise would be. I think it's the latter. And if so, Cassell is more the second-coming of Steve Bono than anything else.

I also would like someone to point to an example where the Patriots made a mistake in trading someone away.