Kelvin Hayden signs HUGE deal

K-Gun10

Colts Hayden signing means big $$ for Greer

By Chris Brown - Posted February 19th, 2009

With the Colts re-signing impending free agent CB Kelvin Hayden to a deal that averages more than $8M per season, things are looking awfully good for Bills free agent to be Jabari Greer.

NFL Network’s Adam Schefter is reporting it to be a 5-year deal worth $43.5M with a huge $22.5M guaranteed. Prior to the offseason the Giants signed CB Corey Webster to a similar deal (5-$43.5M-$20M guaranteed).

Just looking at the career stats of all three players they’re comparable. Hayden (27 starts, 6 INTs), Greer (26 starts, 4 INTs), Webster (31 starts, 5 INTs).

Much like I indicated after the Webster signing in December, Greer could very well be looking at close to $8M per season.

Tags: Corey Webster, Jabari Greer, Kelvin Hayden

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been saying this for weeks now, and lot's of people thought he would get under $5 Million a year. I was hoping we could get him for that figure. We should still try to sign him for around the $5 Million and see if he bites on it. I hate to see what Mcgee will get. There may be a real chance that we lose both of them.

I've been saying this for weeks now, and lot's of people thought he would get under $5 Million a year. I was hoping we could get him for that figure. We should still try to sign him for around the $5 Million and see if he bites on it. I hate to see what Mcgee will get. There may be a real chance that we lose both of them.

That is why Jauron is pushing the FO to draft another corner in rd 1 this yr!!

That should make concession and parking prices rise...

I'm always skeptical of this - generally, it seems to me like NFL owners would maximize revenue regardless of what they're paying out - ticket prices as high as can fill the stadium, concessions the most that will sell, etc. This does give them better cover to sell price increases, though.

Asomugha will be re-signed today and Dunta Robinson was franchised. The options at CB are dwindling with these two moves.

Now is the time to franchise Greer to trade him, as plenty of teams are seeing their UFA options grow smaller.

Should the Bills allow Greer to leave, it's akin to letting draft picks walk out the door. Then again, it's this kind of inactivity I've come to expect from OBD.

Colts Hayden signing means big $$ for Greer

By Chris Brown - Posted February 19th, 2009

With the Colts re-signing impending free agent CB Kelvin Hayden to a deal that averages more than $8M per season, things are looking awfully good for Bills free agent to be Jabari Greer.

NFL Network’s Adam Schefter is reporting it to be a 5-year deal worth $43.5M with a huge $22.5M guaranteed. Prior to the offseason the Giants signed CB Corey Webster to a similar deal (5-$43.5M-$20M guaranteed).

Just looking at the career stats of all three players they’re comparable. Hayden (27 starts, 6 INTs), Greer (26 starts, 4 INTs), Webster (31 starts, 5 INTs).

Much like I indicated after the Webster signing in December, Greer could very well be looking at close to $8M per season.

Tags: Corey Webster, Jabari Greer, Kelvin Hayden

We all know that Greer is gonna get a lot of money. When Webster signed back in December, we knew the CB market was hitting the roof, once again.

And I'm quite sure the Bills are going to let him go without any compensation, because that's how they roll.

The thing is, can we really franchise and trade him? The tag (before any other signings this offseason) was 9.96 million. That's more money that Asante and Nnamdi...and Nnamdi's signing is probably going to make the number go higher.

Obviously, if we do franchise and trade, any team isn't going to pay him 10 a year...they'll make it long term and with a less amount. But I don't think he's worth 10 mil a year, and his agent, once franchised, might demand that kind of money per year.

Do you think that such a high number would scare teams off? That's what I wonder if the Bills franchised him.

I'm hoping that if they do, they could get a third, possibly a second for him. I don;t know.

Way too much to pay for what is going to amount to our 3rd corner. Greer has been a great guy in Buffalo and a good player. Best of luck to him <_<

My sentiments too. I think this all but confirms we lose Greer. :(

I hate this part of FA. We're getting a helluva rep as 'the leagues best DB drafters. Just wait 'til the kids' 1st contract is up and snatch 'em'!

There's an impressive group of former Bills BD's among the league...

Asomugha will be re-signed today and Dunta Robinson was franchised. The options at CB are dwindling with these two moves.

Now is the time to franchise Greer to trade him, as plenty of teams are seeing their UFA options grow smaller.

Should the Bills allow Greer to leave, it's akin to letting draft picks walk out the door. Then again, it's this kind of inactivity I've come to expect from OBD.

At this point we would be absolute idiots not to franchise him.

At this point we would be absolute idiots not to franchise him.

Let's not get crazy here, franchising Greer would be about what 8 or 9 Mil? Not sure at all, but it would imagine it would be in that range. Greer is a nice player, but he is far from an elite player. Wow, Greer in the 8 to 9 Mil range? Who would have thought that a couple years ago? He was always the guy that lit it up in training camp and disappeared during the season. He had a nice season, but is not an all star. I like Greer and would love to have him back next year. Maybe I am in the minority, but I really don't think he is worth that much.

Edit: Trufant was franchised at $9,465,000 for 2008. So maybe it's about 10Mil this year, Greer is not worth that. The Bills are definitely not "absolute idiots" for not franchising him, no way...

Let's not get crazy here, franchising Greer would be about what 8 or 9 Mil? Not sure at all, but it would imagine it would be in that range. Greer is a nice player, but he is far from an elite player. Wow, Greer in the 8 to 9 Mil range? Who would have thought that a couple years ago? He was always the guy that lit it up in training camp and disappeared during the season. He had a nice season, but is not an all star. I like Greer and would love to have him back next year. Maybe I am in the minority, but I really don't think he is worth that much.

The value to tag a CB is 9.9M in 2009. I agree Greer isn't worth that kind of money, but the leverage will be with Buffalo when UFA opens up and plenty of teams looking for a CB have the cap room to take on JG. I can almost guarantee that someone would give no less than a 3rd rounder for him in trade.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating his re-signing. But why let a guy leave when he has value on the open market. Last year, GB franchised DL Corey Williams and ended up getting a 2nd for him because DL were and always will be in demand.

Rarely does a team have something the rest of the leagues wants, only to get nothing. If Greer leaves, it'll mark the 2nd time in 3 off-seasons when they let guys go without any compensation.

No tag for Greer. He's a good Cb, but it never ceases to amaze me how teams overpay for this position. How did Bly work out for the Broncos? Clements for the 49ers? Did we suffer without Clements?

It's just not a position that has the impact to justify this crazy money.

Trade him if you can't sign him. How will we be worse off?