What young QB would rather have than Edwards?

C.Biscuit97

Who would you rather have than Edwards?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Pick'em

• Tyler Thigpen/ Rookie
    • Brady Quinn
    • JaMarcus Russell
    • Aaron Rodgers
    • Jason Campbell
    • Jay Cutler
    • Kellen Clemens
    • Kyle Orton
    • Matt Leinart (possibly)
    • Taravis Jackson
    • Joe Flacco
    • Matt Ryan

Obviously, one of the big topic on this board is whether or not Edwards is the franchise guy or now. While there are definitely some serious doubts (arm strength and injury concerns), I think there is a lot to be excited about. He is entering his 3rd year, which typically is where most players have their breakout season. I think the problem with us as fans is that the crap feast of the last decade has jaded us (and probably rightly so). But Edwards and most of this young team has only been around for a few years. If we stepped back and looked at the situation as an outsider, it is not as bleak as most of us think.

So for the sake of argument, which QBs would rather have and why.

I'm obviously a big supporter of Trent, I think he has got what it takes to take us to the promise land with the right system and personnel. Having said that, If I had to take someone out of the group that you just mentioned, it would be Cuttler. Strong Arm, Accurate and Fiesty. Makes some dumb mistakes, but he is young. Most qb's don't hit their stride until after their 5th year or so.

Obviously, one of the big topic on this board is whether or not Edwards is the franchise guy or now. While there are definitely some serious doubts (arm strength and injury concerns), I think there is a lot to be excited about. He is entering his 3rd year, which typically is where most players have their breakout season. I think the problem with us as fans is that the crap feast of the last decade has jaded us (and probably rightly so). But Edwards and most of this young team has only been around for a few years. If we stepped back and looked at the situation as an outsider, it is not as bleak as most of us think.

Living in S.W. Fla & being a Bucs fan (my 2nd favorite team) I had a chance to watch Matt Ryan & he looks like the real deal. He did not look like a rookie last year and I have heard his teammates say he did not act or play like a rookie. My 2nd choice would be Flacco with Quinn #3. I still think the Fins made a HUGE mistake taking Ginn instead of Quinn.

Living in S.W. Fla & being a Bucs fan (my 2nd favorite team) I had a chance to watch Matt Ryan & he looks like the real deal. He did not look like a rookie last year and I have heard his teammates say he did not act or play like a rookie. My 2nd choice would be Falco with Quinn #3. I still think the Fins made a HUGE mistake taking Ginn instead of Quinn.

Keanu Reeves? :thumbsup:

Myself I think I would take Culter, Flacco, and Ryan over Trent Edwards. I like Trent, but I think these guys are all blue chip studs in the NFL.

GO BILS!

I definitely agree with the players you mentioned. I am torn on Flacco. I love his arm but I really believe Edwards would have similar success in Baltimore. But I think both guys have good futures and it will be interesting to see how they progress.

Surprisingly, I have a lot of support for Trent, still sport his Jersey, and hope he develops into all his hype. My posts about him have been strictly related to why we dont win now...yes I know he is young, but when I post about him or the QB production in general, its about why we are where we are, not where we are going.

That being said, Trent has potential and I like the kid, but his regression and injuries do have me concerned and I really think he needs someone in camp to push him.

As far as your post here, it is a slam dunk for me...Cutler or Rodgers...since I cant vote for two, it would be Cutler. The others have promise, but these two have the makings of upper echelon QB's in this league while the others have question marks still.

you forgot to add the Pats* Kevin O'Connell from San Diego State to the list...the Pats* took him in the third round last year and before Cassell's breakout season he was supposedly the heir apparent to Brady.

He's 6'5 230 lbs and supposedly had the best arm in the class last year. Now with Cassell's days likely over in NE* bc of economics (or at least after 2009 season), O'Connell will probably be the 2nd string in the future. Give him a few years in Bellichick's system and we might hear his name again after Tom Brady's days are over.

But he might also just be a Belichick system QB, and his appeal right now is strictly because he's in the perfect situation

Total votes 21...Votes for Matt Ryan 15.......HMMMMMMMMMM...LOL---6 voters with bad eyesite probbly

I'd take Quinn. He's a physical specimen at the QB position, he's not scared in the pocket, never shown any real durability issues, has pretty good mobility, has a good arm, has the brains necessary to play the position, and is accurate with the football. I'm also an ND "homer" who watched basically every game he played in college. I think that he''ll be a good QB whether he plays his whole career in Cleveland or goes elsewhere. Oh, and my vision is good Tcali :thumbsup:

Here's an idea. Let's do this like intelligent people instead of morons. I know it's a strange and novel concept but please play along with me.

What young quarterback would you rather have than Trent Edwards (3rd round, 92 overall) based on where they were selected?

Tyler Thigpen 7th round, 217 overall

Brady Quinn 1st round, 22 overall

JaMarcus Russell 1st round, 2nd overall

Aaron Rodgers 1st round, 24 overall

Jason Campbell 1st round, 25 overall

Jay Cutler 1st round, 11th overall

Kellen Clemens 2nd round, 49 overall

Kyle Orton 4th round, 106 overall

Matt Leinart 1st round, 10th overall

Tarvaris Jackson 2nd round, 64 overall

Joe Flacco 1st round, 18 overall

Matt Ryan 1st round, 3rd overall

(Strange how he's being compared to 8 quarterbacks taken in the first round)

Here's an idea. Let's do this like intelligent people instead of morons. I know it's a strange and novel concept but please play along with me.

What young quarterback would you rather have than Trent Edwards (3rd round, 92 overall) based on where they were selected?

As has been pointed out by Trent fans before, Tom Brady was taken in the 6th round while a number of BUSTS have been taken in the 1st. It does not matter where a player was taken, the only thing that matters is how they play.

Interesting...I get the Rodgers pick, but surprise you left Cutler off and added Quinn, Flacco, and Ryan...

Any particular reason why?

Still not a Cutler fan. Maybe I've just picked the wrong games to watch the Broncos, but he seems to make too many stupid decisions, and puts his team in bad situations. Plus, he seems like a bit of a jerk.

Quinn, Flacco and Ryan have better overall skills than Trent, and all seem bright and capable. I'm not suggesting that all three will end up better than Trent, but right now I'd feel a little bit more confident with any of them. I sincerely hope that I am wrong, and Trent outplays them all. But, Trent can still be a fine QB and not surpass any, or all, of these other QBs.

Once a guy is on your team, and starting, it really doesn't matter where they were selected, does it? That's interesting when you are talking about the ability of a front office to find gems in the later rounds, but when you are discussing who you would rather have as your QB, why do you care where they were drafted? Is Tom Brady great BECAUSE he was drafted in the 6th round? I'd expect us to like our QB because he plays well...not because he plays better than the round in which he was picked.

Still not a Cutler fan. Maybe I've just picked the wrong games to watch the Broncos, but he seems to make too many stupid decisions, and puts his team in bad situations. Plus, he seems like a bit of a jerk.

Quinn, Flacco and Ryan have better overall skills than Trent, and all seem bright and capable. I'm not suggesting that all three will end up better than Trent, but right now I'd feel a little bit more confident with any of them. I sincerely hope that I am wrong, and Trent outplays them all. But, Trent can still be a fine QB and not surpass any, or all, of these other QBs.

I get ya...was just curious. He has a cannon arm and a mean streak, so I like that about him. I am not sold on Quinn or Flacco yet, too soon to tell. Ryan though (I know he has the same amount of starts as Flacco) showed a lot more potential to me than Flacco during his season. He made some big time throws, so I can see why you put him on there. Flacco I am just not sold on yet...he has promise though, thats for sure. Quinn just didnt get much playing time as he got hurt shortly after he got the job, but I really liked him coming out of college, so I will be curious to see how he comes in as the starter next year.

I would probably take Cutler over Trent, although Trent just kicked Culter's hind-end on the field in Week 16. :thumbsup:

Based on what we saw last year, I would also take Ryan. I am not so sure about Flacco.

I would prefer Rodgers NOW, but he has been in the league a couple years longer and got to sit and watch behind Favre. Remember, there was a time when many of us preferred JP to Rodgers.

You make a fair point. Since Trent was a 3rd rounder, his expectations are much lower. If worst case scenario is that he becomes a very good backup (which I have no doubts he very easily will be), it is still a very good pick for the Bills.

However since he is now a NFL starter, he needs to be compared to starters. On gameday, no one cares where you were drafted.

You make a fair point. Since Trent was a 3rd rounder, his expectations are much lower. If worst case scenario is that he becomes a very good backup (which I have no doubts he very easily will be), it is still a very good pick for the Bills.

However since he is now a NFL starter, he needs to be compared to starters. On gameday, no one cares where you were drafted.

Thank you for deciphering the post just as it was intended. Flbillsfan#1 also made a similar and fair response.

I agree that Trent Edwards has to be judged as a starter regardless of where he was chosen.

But it needed to be pointed out that at most only four of the quarterbacks on that list would be arguably upgrades over Trent and they were all taken in the first round.

We should be pleased so far with what he's given us and what he may yet produce. Trent Edwards is one of the best draft picks we've had in a long time. Does anyone think he'd be selected in the 3rd round today if NFL teams knew that he would play this well?

For the sake of developing this discussion further and hopefully constructively, I researched all quarterbacks drafted in the 3rd round since 2003. Here's the list.

3rd Round Quarterbacks since 2003

2003: David Ragone, Chris Simms

2004: Matt Schaub

2005: Charlie Frye, Andrew Walter, David Greene

2006: Charlie Whitehurst, Brodie Croyle

2007: Trent Edwards

2008: Kevin O'Connell

Flacco is not a blue chip.. im sorry. He plays for a good team. His stats are like worse than Trents...

I agree!

I watched Flacco play on numerous occasions and other than his arm strength, I didn't see anything to me that screamed out anything special.

I think his name and the Ravens record is what brought on all the Flacco Hype this year. My guess is next year, the expectations of what people have for him, will be high, and he won't live up to them, then we will see him for what he really is.

Average

Still believe in TE and support him. Picked Cutler but would take the one guy not on there and his name is Phillup Rivers! The kid seems to have "it" and wanted him when he came out. That being said I belive TE can and will get it done and look for a big step forward this year!! :w00t:

MOdrak wanted to draft Cutler..Levy took Whitner instead..