Jeff Garcia

major

Garcia's whole career is sort of as a Doug Flutie clone?

Flutie clone? Hardly. Dougie would have loved to have been a Garcia clone, though:

NFL Careers (Does anyone care about their CFL careers?)

GP PA Compl. Pct. Yards TD INT RATING

Garcia - 124 3,676 2,264 61.6 25,537 161 83 87.5

Flutie - 92 2,151 1,177 54.7 14,715 84 68 76.3

Flutie clone? Hardly. Dougie would have loved to have been a Garcia clone, though:

grey cups

WELL, given Flutie's size disadvantage, he did alright. Flutie also seemed to have a knack for winning, Garcia hasn't shown this as much.

The Bills offense was certainly more fluent when Flutie was in the game.

And you say it doesn't matter, but duing their times in the CFL Flutie was much better, he was the best quarterback who ever played in the CFL, period.

He never really got his shot in the NFL because he wasn't the prototypical quarterback that teams look for.

My two cents.

He's not a Trent clone in the least. At least not stylistically. Trent is a pocket passer. Garcia flushes out as soon as possible.

For those who would denigrate Garcia's career, pretty much all of us would be better at what we do if we were as good as he is at what he does.

I love this (original) post because I've always felt Garcia was a Flutie clone. He's a totally unconventional quarterback who ad-libs very much and moves his team and wins more often than not. Also he's a guy who has been an underdog his whole life and as a result, has overcompensated for this insecurity. He has a bit of the little dog syndrome. That said, he could be a great pickup. We need someone who can win games for us, as either a starter or a backup.

Is he a great player? Not really but he's been a very good player throughout his career.

Is he the long term answer? No, he's too old.

Would he be a good pickup? That's the big question. He could be brought in under the understanding that he competes for the starting job. We'd be competitive in every game he played.

He's unconventional as I said, he doesn't have the measurables but he's the ultimate gamer and like Flutie, would be a very capable starter.

My only reservation is how he would react if he lost the starting job to Trent and if he would still be an asset to the team. It really rankled him last year when Gruden went to Griese and he was a bit of a malcontent in Cleveland when things went south when he was there.

The Bills would have to make it clear that he could be the starter but that he might not be and they would need assurances from him that if he was second string, that he'd be a good soldier. This is not out of the realm of possibility as a lot of high maintenance players became more graceful at the very end of their careers because they were more cognizant of what their legacy might be. Flutie (and I was a huge fan) was a bit divisive in Buffalo but exited gracefully in San Diego.

In exchange for a shot at starting, perhaps Garcia would agree to set his ego aside a bit. He, like Kerry Collins and Kurt Warner views himself as a high end starting quarterback. But the reality is that none of the above will be playing three years from now.

If the Bills make him an offer with an understanding of his role, it might be the best option he has. It might also be the best option the Bills have.

If the Bills were to sign Garcia, it would be for only one reason. To start. After 4 years of QBs with no business starting in the NFL starting, I'd love to see a real proven NFL QB in town starting for the Bills. It wouldn't hurt Trent to learn from Jeff for a year or two and then step back in as starter. Jeff would probably miss a few games due to injury, so Trent could get some experience. He'd be in much better shape to do it then.

WELL, given Flutie's size disadvantage, he did alright. Flutie also seemed to have a knack for winning, Garcia hasn't shown this as much.

The Bills offense was certainly more fluent when Flutie was in the game.

And you say it doesn't matter, but duing their times in the CFL Flutie was much better, he was the best quarterback who ever played in the CFL, period.

He never really got his shot in the NFL because he wasn't the prototypical quarterback that teams look for.

That's nice that Flutie was the best CFL QB....for a quitter. I'm sure when he hit that Hail Mary pass that is still shown today, 25 years later, as one of the greatest college plays ever, his first thought was..."Wow, Phalen caught the ball and we win, now I can become the greatest QB in the CFL!"

No, after following up that play with the Heisman Trophy, I'm sure ego-manicial Doug was thinking more along the lines of breaking every passing record in the NFL, or at least becoming known as the next Fran Tarkington and making the Hall of Fame. Instead, he quit on the NFL in the prime of his career, only 5 years into it, because he could not take the pressure of being too short in the eyes of stupid NFL coaches. Instead of forcing NFL teams to play him by working harder and having a good patient attitude, he took his game to the CFL.

By your screen name, I see that means something to you, and I have nothing against the CFL. But it is not the NFL, and the way Flutie played in Buffalo those three seasons late in his career, and his one year starting in San Deigo even later, it proves that he would have found his place in the NFL if he would have just stayed here!

Met garcia at a bar in santa monica when he was still a 49ner. This guy is gay I'm not joking he is a homosexual...you know it the minute you start talking to him....the girls I was with didn't know who he was and knew he was gay...don't want him in a bills uni

Firstly Garcia has the effeminate lisp but so does Tim Tebo and Tebo's possibly the baddest ass quarterback ever.

Secondly, Garcia's wife is 2004 Playboy Playmate of the Year and according to Wikipedia the two are expecting their second child. Granted it could be a cover but then again it might not.

Thirdly, who the hell cares if he's gay?

You don't think there are already gays in the NFL or on the Bills?

According to the 2000 census, 1.5% of Americans consider themselves gay.

According to a study by the United Stated Department of Health and Human Services, that number is about 2.5 to 3%.

Based on those percentages and the fact that there are approximately 2000 NFL football players at any one time, there are likely at least 30 gays in the NFL and as many as 60. Because of the culture, very few players have admitted their "gay-ness."

The most recent in memory is Esera Tuaolo, a nose tackle who played nine years in the NFL.

Another gay, Jackie Smith is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Garcia has made four Pro Bowls, most recently in 2007. If he is gay, I'd rather have him at quarterback for the Bills than a lot of the mediocre heterosexual QBs in the league.

And finally, what were you doing in a gay bar in Santa Monica?

Based on those percentages and the fact that there are approximately 2000 NFL football players at any one time, there are likely at least 30 gays in the NFL and as many as 60. Because of the culture, very few players have admitted their "gay-ness."

While you may be right about there being many closeted players, the percentages do not need to line up with those of the general public.

Met garcia at a bar in santa monica when he was still a 49ner. This guy is gay I'm not joking he is a homosexual...you know it the minute you start talking to him....the girls I was with didn't know who he was and knew he was gay...don't want him in a bills uni

post(s) of da day

I thought he was married to a super model? & what is the difference if he is gay or not. I am so sick of losing if he could win us some games I would not care if he dressed in a pink Tuttu & did swan lake across the ralph field turf before the games.

According to who? I posted percentages that are cited by our government. Where is your documentation? Or do you mean they don't necessarily line up?

I meant that there may not be the same percentage of gay players as there are gay Americans. I do not think there needs to be any documentation to make that point.

Because he's gay??? SO WHAT!! He can turn a tight end into a wide receiver.

I meant that there may not be the same percentage of gay players as there are gay Americans. I do not think there needs to be any documentation to make that point.

Yes except you stated it as a fact, not an educated guess. That's why I wrote exactly what I wrote. Then I let you off the hook by suggesting that you were only stating an opinion.

If you hadn't stated it as fact I wouldn't have asked for documentation.

I thought he was married to a super model? & what is the difference if he is gay or not. I am so sick of losing if he could win us some games I would not care if he dressed in a pink Tuttu & did swan lake across the ralph field turf before the games.

Now...*that* was the post of the day...

Our decidely masculine QBs aren't helping us win...Hell, I'm for a female QB with balls and gumption coming in here and embarrassing these bunch of overpaid *&%^$# into overperforming in their respective roles. I don't care. I just want them to play with some fire. If it's flaming, so be it...

C

The main difference between garcia and flutie is that garcia is good.

Couldn't disagree more Ramius. I'm not being a jerk when I ask you, do you have adult memories of 1998 and 1999? It seems like very few people who post here do.

In '98 we got off to a 1-3 start with Rob Johnson. The Bills were trying to sell enough luxury seating to trigger a lease clause which would keep the Bills in Buffalo for 10 more years. "Buffalo Backs the Bills" and local banker Erkie Kailbourne were put in charge of selling these club seats/suites to the business community. Sales on the luxury seating was lagging badly. At the time it looked like the sky was falling.

Flutie came in for an injured Johnson and after Johnson's 1-3 start led us to a 10-6 record. The Flutie buzz was huge and the luxury seats suddenly sold like hotcakes. The Bills made the playoffs and it's not a reach to say that Flutie rescued the franchise in Buffalo. If we hadn't sold out the luxury seats the lease would have aborted early and it's likely that the team would have been moved by now.

In '99 Flutie led us to an 11-5 record and another playoff berth. We lost that year in the "Music City Miracle" and have not been to the playoffs since. Flutie was 21-10 during his Bills career. He made the Pro Bowl in '98 and was also Comeback Player of the Year. Rob Johnson during his time with the Bills set the all time record for most sacks per passing attempt (with the same team that Flutie excelled with).

It's amazing to me:

1) How many people don't know/remember/want to admit that Flutie saved the franchise in Buffalo.

2) Don't give him credit for being a very good player. Some people are so conventional in their view of quarterbacking that they'd rather have someone like Kyle Boller or Rob Johnson (conventional tall, strong arm etc) than a guy like Flutie.

3) How many people seem to have been influenced by the low-brow, moron, negativity-monger, former coach Chuck Dickerson who slandered Flutie on an almost daily basis and seems to have been successful in revising Flutie's legacy in Buffalo by pandering to young, uninformed fans who have no historical context for what really was happening at the time.

I'm not attacking you Ramius but I don't see how anyone who was a knowledgeable football fan at the time (1998-99) would not view Flutie as a good quarterback. He never got a fair shake in his career (Ditka called him "America's Favorite Midget") because of prejudice that he was only 5'9" tall. He was 36 years old by the time he finally got a fair chance in the NFL in 1998.

Couldn't disagree more Ramius. I'm not being a jerk when I ask you, do you have adult memories of 1998 and 1999? It seems like very few people who post here do.

In '98 we got off to a 1-3 start with Rob Johnson. The Bills were trying to sell enough luxury seating to trigger a lease clause which would keep the Bills in Buffalo for 10 more years. "Buffalo Backs the Bills" and local banker Erkie Kailbourne were put in charge of selling these club seats/suites to the business community. Sales on the luxury seating was lagging badly. At the time it looked like the sky was falling.

Flutie came in for an injured Johnson and after that 1-3 start led them to a 10-6 record. The Flutie buzz was huge and the luxury seats suddenly sold like hotcakes. The Bills made the playoffs and it's not a reach to say that Flutie rescued the franchise in Buffalo. If we hadn't sold out the luxury seats the lease would have aborted early and it's likely that the team would have been moved by now.

In '99 Flutie led us to an 11-5 record and another playoff berth. We lost that year in the "Music City Miracle" and have not been to the playoffs since. Flutie was 21-10 during his Bills career. He made the Pro Bowl in '98 and was also Comeback Player of the Year. Rob Johnson during his time with the Bills set the all time record for most sacks per passing attempt (with the same team that Flutie excelled with).

It's amazing to me"

1) How many people don't know/remember/want to admit that Flutie saved the franchise in Buffalo.

2) Don't give him credit for being a very good player. Some people are so conventional in their view of quarterbacking that they'd rather have someone like Kyle Boller or Rob Johnson (conventional tall, strong arm etc) than a guy like Flutie.

3) How many people seem to have been influenced by the low-brow, moron, negativity-monger, former coach Chuck Dickerson who slandered Flutie on an almost daily basis and seems to have been successful in revising Flutie's legacy in Buffalo by pandering to young, uninformed fans who have no historical context for what really was happening at the time.

You want an honest assessment of what i saw with little dougie? In 1998, Flutie was very good. He was a shot in the arm the franchise needed, and yes, he had a lot to do with selling the boxes at the Ralph. Of course, Flutie fumbled away our chances at victory against miami in the wildcard. Yes, there were other plays during that game (the moulds fumble, reed getting tossed) that affected the outcome, but flutie mistake was the game ender.

As for 1999, Flutie didn't "lead the team to the playoffs" Flutie rode the backs of an amazing defense. The offense could barely get out of its own way during that regular season. 55% completion with 19 TD and a 16 INTs isn't "leading" a team anywhere. Flutie played just good enough to win some games the defense kept us in. But dont make it sound like Flutie was the savior. As for the playoff game, Flutie should have started, because he was our starting QB in 1999. What ralph did for the playoff game was BS.

But the '99 season was the epitome of little dougie. Once teams got some game film on him, he was extremely easy to stop. He simply wasn't a very good QB. Then, you toss in the fact that the guy is an egomanical self-centered prick, and its no wonder why legions of people don't like him. He actively divided the locker room in buffalo. His schtick of "I won the game, but we lost it" got old in a hurry.

Don't start with the "21-10" record either. Records for QBs are bogus, which is why no one outside of TBD cares about them. That was more a function of our spectacular defense during dougie's time here other than anything. Flutie was not this magic little QB wo never got a fair shot. He got his shots, and wasn't very good. Little dougie was a mediocre QB who had 1 good season.

Yes except you stated it as a fact, not an educated guess. That's why I wrote exactly what I wrote. Then I let you off the hook by suggesting that you were only stating an opinion.

If you hadn't stated it as fact I wouldn't have asked for documentation.

Actually you misread or misunderstood what I wrote. I am not really sure why you are trying to pick a fight about your misunderstanding.

People hated RJ because he was terrible. Trent's young and is the future for us. He's still getting HURT.

FIXED.

I like Trent and I hope he can stay healthy.

I liked JP, I hoped he would learn to read a defense.

I liked RJ, I hoped he would learn to read and defense and stay healthy

I liked Flutie, I hoped he would grow 5 inches.

I liked Jim Kelly, I hoped we would have found his successor by now....

But the '99 season was the epitome of little dougie. Once teams got some game film on him, he was extremely easy to stop. He simply wasn't a very good QB. Then, you toss in the fact that the guy is an egomanical self-centered prick, and its no wonder why legions of people don't like him. He actively divided the locker room in buffalo. His schtick of "I won the game, but we lost it" got old in a hurry.

I think he also wore down as the season went on (arm & legs).

Flame away, but as BS a move as it might have been to turn the reins over to Johnson we stood no chance with Flutie. He had taken the team as far as he was able. With Johnson you didn't know at the time.

Garcia > Flutie (IMO)

While you may be right about there being many closeted players, the percentages do not need to line up with those of the general public.

Sorry IDK, I wasn't trying to pick a fight. I actually did not see the words (highlighted above) the first time I read your post. "Need to" changes the whole meaning. Sorry dude.

The main difference between garcia and flutie is that garcia is good.

On NFL live, today, someone (I think Marcellus Wiley) referred to the Garcia situation as, Flutie 2.0.

That made some sense to me...I might say Flutie 3.0.

A lot like Flutie 1.0, but newer and faster/better/more reliable.

You want an honest assessment of what i saw with little dougie? In 1998, Flutie was very good. He was a shot in the arm the franchise needed, and yes, he had a lot to do with selling the boxes at the Ralph. Of course, Flutie fumbled away our chances at victory against miami in the wildcard. Yes, there were other plays during that game (the moulds fumble, reed getting tossed) that affected the outcome, but flutie mistake was the game ender.

As for 1999, Flutie didn't "lead the team to the playoffs" Flutie rode the backs of an amazing defense. The offense could barely get out of its own way during that regular season. 55% completion with 19 TD and a 16 INTs isn't "leading" a team anywhere. Flutie played just good enough to win some games the defense kept us in. But dont make it sound like Flutie was the savior. As for the playoff game, Flutie should have started, because he was our starting QB in 1999. What ralph did for the playoff game was BS.

Don't start with the "21-10" record either. Records for QBs are bogus, which is why no one outside of TBD cares about them. That was more a function of our spectacular defense during dougie's time here other than anything. Flutie was not this magic little QB wo never got a fair shot. He got his shots, and wasn't very good. Little dougie was a mediocre QB who had 1 good season.

Hey Ramius,

Thanks for the intelligent, if a bit acerbic reply (I think you set a record for saying "little dougie").

Yeah he was brilliant in that game in Miami where he outgained Marino in total yards 389-234. We were also screwed by an officials call in the 4th quarter on a pass to Reed. Flutie was heroic in that game leading us back and he was definitely not the reason we lost. I'll never forget that game.

As for '99 you can say we rode a great defense because that was a great defense. In fairness though, Flutie's record in those years with that defense was 21-10 (.667 winning percentage). With the same team, Rob Johnson was 9-17 (.346 winning percentage). In other words, Flutie won nearly twice as often with the same team. I know you would probably argue that the stats say more about Johnson than they do Flutie. Whatever.

I agree that statistics are not the greatest way to make/break arguments but they are the only objective means. Anything non-statistical is unfortunately a subjective evaluation of performance. In every industry, statistics are used to evaluate performance.

Of all the stats I feel the best (albeit flawed) stat for quarterbacks is winning percentage. Very few good quarterbacks have bad winning percentages and very few bad quarterbacks have good winning percentages. I choose to believe that he had great intangibles that made him a winner throughout his entire football career. I don't think that can be argued when you look at his accomplishments.

I agree that he was not as effective in taking us to our last playoff appearance in '99 but we certainly wouldn't have gotten there with Johnson under center.

As I've said in other posts, Flutie and Garcia and a lot of guys are insecure athletes. Because of how small they are or how they're perceived, or how they speak or where they were drafted, etc etc etc. A lot of these guys have "little man syndrome" aka Napoleon Complex, aka Little Hitler Complex. If you read a lot of Garcia's quotes it's the same thing. Me, this is my team, my value, being disrespected, etc. The upside of this is that it shows a competitive fire and "little Dougie" also had quite a bit of competitive fire. No successful 5'9" NFL QB wouldn't have a blast furnace for a heart.

Finally, I believe the guy saved the franchise. I used to be a producer for Van Miller and I've had a discussion with Van and with Mark Gaughan about this. Many people in Buffalo believe he saved the franchise but you never hear anyone who's grateful to him for that. It's like a forgotten fact and people would rather focus on the negatives instead of all the very exciting and wonderful things he did when he was there. I just don't get it.

I respect your opinion Ramius but I will go to my grave believing that he was a good quarterback and more importantly I'll always be grateful that he did more than anyone to keep the Bills in Buffalo. I wish more people were.

I don't get the revisionist history on Doug Flutie either. OK, so he fumbled late in that playoff game. He passed for 360 yards! Maybe if some other guys had made a few more plays it wouldn't have come down to that. He had a good game, but we lost. Heck, I've seen the immortal Brett Favre blow it late in playoff games too and he's not trashed forever for it. I also don't get when people say other teams had figured him out and he was easy to defend. Well if he was, he still won way more than he lost. 10 out of his last 15 as a starter. That's having teams having you figured out and can stop you?

He had a winning style and attitude about him that caused his teammates to pickup their game. I was at a game in his last season at the Ralph where Rob Johnson was sucking and the Bills were doing nothing. RJ got hurt and Flutie came in and immediately it looked like a new team. The lady in front of me said "they play different when he's in there". You can't coach that. Either you got it or you don't. Tom Brady's got it. Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw. Big Ben, Jim Kelly are other examples.

He fumbled in the '98 playoff game. Get over it. Still doesn't mean he wasn't good. It's like complaining cuz you had to wear a sweater at Disney Land. 98 and 99 were some exciting seasons. What I wouldn't do to get to the playoffs and lose a close first round playoff game late again someday ...