Andre Reed...wow...

Big Turk

I started watching some old Bills highlights on youtube and I remembered all over again just how good he was...he was a master at running over the middle on crossing routes and creating an angle that made the DB think he could make a tackle and they would get close, but just couldn't quite get there, usually lunging out with one hand to try and tackle Reed as he angled away from him...It truly was remarkable at just how good he was at doing this, it looks like the DB is in position to make the play and then Reed takes this angle and the DB ends up diving or lunging at him as he runs right by them and in many cases into the endzone....

I really wish we had a guy on our current Bills teams that could run patterns across the middle like that...it would make Evans SO much more effective as a deep threat...

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I started watching some old Bills highlights on youtube and I remembered all over again just how good he was...he was a master at running over the middle on crossing routes and creating an angle that made the DB think he could make a tackle and they would get close, but just couldn't quite get there, usually lunging out with one hand to try and tackle Reed as he angled away from him...It truly was remarkable at just how good he was at doing this, it looks like the DB is in position to make the play and then Reed takes this angle and the DB ends up diving or lunging at him as he runs right by them and in many cases into the endzone....

I really wish we had a guy on our current Bills teams that could run patterns across the middle like that...it would make Evans SO much more effective as a deep threat...

You see the last Larry Fitzgerald touchdown in the Superbowl....Andre Reed invented that.

People on this board who say Reed was good to very good have no idea.

I just wished we had a true reciever on our team period. Lee evans is nothing more than a number two guy. I have love for the guy to he is an excellent deep threat receiver. Seriously he is nothing more than that, I would like him to be a smith, or a fitgerald having the combination of speed and wr posseion capability but hes not and it doesnt apper he will hes only good at running down the field and catching the ball as he blows by the slower corners in the leaugue.

I just wished we had a true reciever on our team period. Lee evans is nothing more than a number two guy. I have love for the guy to he is an excellent deep threat receiver. Seriously he is nothing more than that, I would like him to be a smith, or a fitgerald having the combination of speed and wr posseion capability but hes not and it doesnt apper he will hes only good at running down the field and catching the ball as he blows by the slower corners in the leaugue.

No, I think Lee runs great routes and has excellent hands. He just isn't strong enough or consistent enough to break double teams. But, I agree, he is NOT a bonafide #1.

You see the last Larry Fitzgerald touchdown in the Superbowl....Andre Reed invented that.

Amen brother, you hit the nail right on the head. Also, as far as Lee Evans, besides never having a threat on the other side, he has never had a QB anywhere close to Kelly when it comes to making the right decisions and being able to get them the ball.

Andre Reed is my favorite Bill of all time but you are selling Evans way short. He is off to the best start of any Bills' receiver in history and has played with average to below avearge QBs his entire career. Reed got to play with a HOFer for most of his and they complimented each other very well. Additionally, I give a slight edge (and by slight I mean Grand Canyon) to Reed's supporting cast over Evans'.

When all is said and done I would be willing to bet that Fitzgerald is in the Hall before Andre....I liked Andre but he disapeared in Superbowls..Wouldnt go over the middle after he was hit in the big games and lost his cool in the big game..If you could take out the Super Bowls he wouldve made it I gander..Lynn Swann had less numbers than Andre but he performed when it counted and he is in..You gotta play not crap your pants when it counts...

:w00t:

How the hell did this go from a discussion about how great Andre was to a discussion of the current Bills receivers in three posts! <_<

When all is said and done I would be willing to bet that Fitzgerald is in the Hall before Andre....I liked Andre but he disapeared in Superbowls..Wouldnt go over the middle after he was hit in the big games and lost his cool in the big game..If you could take out the Super Bowls he wouldve made it I gander..Lynn Swann had less numbers than Andre but he performed when it counted and he is in..You gotta play not crap your pants when it counts...

Explain please?

IMO, the people who say Reed was afraid to go over the middle didn't watch many games in the early 90's because over the middle was one of his bread and butter plays.

Nobody during his time or since was better at YAK. He belongs in the hall before Carter.

:w00t:

How the hell did this go from a discussion about how great Andre was to a discussion of the current Bills receivers in three posts! <_<

Explain please?

IMO, the people who say Reed was afraid to go over the middle didn't watch many games in the early 90's because over the middle was one of his bread and butter plays.

After the second qtr of Super Bowl 25 after he was smashed a few times going over the middle he alligator armed a few his way during the game...He stopped goinig over the middle..He was taken out of the game by getting hit enough times to not want to pay the price anymore..The Giants effectively took that weapon away from Kelly..Hope that explains it enough..I have it on VHS still and have tortured myself over a 100 times watching and disecting the game along with the other 3 losses..He did make a living going over the middle during the regular season and early rounds of the playoffs..But when he needed to shine the most he became a dull nightlite..You just dont make the HOF doing it..thats my only fault with Andre..He choked on the biggest stage moreso than most other Bills in my eyes..(excluding Norwood):D

You can't say that Evans isn't a legitimate #1 just because he isn't as good as Fitz or Smith, that's just ridiculous. Evans is still a better receiver than the majority of #1 receivers in the league. Guys like Matt Jones, Ted Ginn (who isn't a superstar like we made him seem), Jerricho Cotchery, Derrick Mason, Kevin Curtis, Deion Branch...they are all #1 guys on their teams. How can you say Evans isn't legit?

Lee Evans needs to make Lee Evans better. Elite receivers find a way to make it happen.

After the second qtr of Super Bowl 25 after he was smashed a few times going over the middle he alligator armed a few his way during the game...He stopped goinig over the middle..He was taken out of the game by getting hit enough times to not want to pay the price anymore..The Giants effectively took that weapon away from Kelly..Hope that explains it enough..I have it on VHS still and have tortured myself over a 100 times watching and disecting the game along with the other 3 losses..He did make a living going over the middle during the regular season and early rounds of the playoffs..But when he needed to shine the most he became a dull nightlite..You just dont make the HOF doing it..thats my only fault with Andre..He choked on the biggest stage moreso than most other Bills in my eyes..(excluding Norwood):w00t:

Norwood didn't choke. Frank Reich did. Look at the laces again. They were pointing in the same direction as the kick.

No, I think Lee runs great routes and has excellent hands. He just isn't strong enough or consistent enough to break double teams. But, I agree, he is NOT a bonafide #1.

I agree harsh to say he is a #2 more like a 1B but his smaller size diminishes his ability to fully threaten a defense.

Andre Reed wouldn't go over the middle? Did you ever see him play? I know the trend at Two Bills Drive is to rip anything that was truly great in Bills history, because the current team is so wrethced... but this post sums it up pretty well... Bills fans aren't any more knowledgable, as a whole, than fans of any other teams. In some cases, even less... :wallbash:

Andre Reed will go down as perhaps the most unappreciated Bills great of all time... he'll never make it to the Hall of Fame, when supposed fans of his team, can't even acknowledge what a tremendous player he was. The notion that Reed didn't "show up" for big games, or disappeared in Super Bowls is demented. Guy is one of the all-time leading receivers in NFL playoff history, and was the leading receiver in Super Bowl history, until he was surpased by Jerry Rice, as a Raider. Sure, the results in those games weren't great, but you can't fault Reed for that. Fellow teammates, and HOF'ers like Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas struggled even more in those Super Bowls.

I agree...At this point Lee Evans is in the same level as Don Beebe....We do not have a Andre Reed caliber player.