Andre Reed...wow...

Big Turk

Andre Reed wouldn't go over the middle? Did you ever see him play? I know the trend at Two Bills Drive is to rip anything that was truly great in Bills history, because the current team is so wrethced... but this post sums it up pretty well... Bills fans aren't any more knowledgable, as a whole, than fans of any other teams. In some cases, even less... :wallbash:

Andre Reed will go down as perhaps the most unappreciated Bills great of all time... he'll never make it to the Hall of Fame, when supposed fans of his team, can't even acknowledge what a tremendous player he was. The notion that Reed didn't "show up" for big games, or disappeared in Super Bowls is demented. Guy is one of the all-time leading receivers in NFL playoff history, and was the leading receiver in Super Bowl history, until he was surpased by Jerry Rice, as a Raider. Sure, the results in those games weren't great, but you can't fault Reed for that. Fellow teammates, and HOF'ers like Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas struggled even more in those Super Bowls.

Reread my post before you go putting me in a class of unknowledgeable..I said he didnt do it in the big game..Thats all...If thats what your reputation is and thats what the team relies on you to do and you dont do it in the SUPERBOWL tyou dont deserve the hall of fame..I like Andre and I enjoyed watching him..I just didnt enjoy watching him puke in the SuperBowl..He doesnt deserve it in my opionion..The facts are there he disapeared when it counted most..Everyone saw it and If you would like I can ship you the Tapes and you can check it out for yourself again and be reminded..

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree...At this point Lee Evans is in the same level as Don Beebe....We do not have a Andre Reed caliber player.

This comment is so ridiculous that it probably doesn't even deserve to be answered...in his first 5 years as a Bill, Evans has gained more yards and scored more TDs than any other Bill, including Reed(by about 350 yards and 1 TD) and Moulds(by about 500 yards and 9 TDs). So to compare Evans to Beebe who he has outgained by 2700 yards and 18 TDs is an absoulte insult to Lee Evans and to the intelligence of Bills fans from everywhere, to be perfectly honest. Next time know your facts before you post this complete rubbish. Beebe's best season came in 1992 when he gained 554 yards. Evans' WORST season came his second year when he gained 783 yards to go with 7 TDs...

Reread my post before you go putting me in a class of unknowledgeable..I said he didnt do it in the big game..Thats all...If thats what your reputation is and thats what the team relies on you to do and you dont do it in the SUPERBOWL tyou dont deserve the hall of fame..I like Andre and I enjoyed watching him..I just didnt enjoy watching him puke in the SuperBowl..He doesnt deserve it in my opionion..The facts are there he disapeared when it counted most..Everyone saw it and If you would like I can ship you the Tapes and you can check it out for yourself again and be reminded..

I think the glorification of the tournament final is overrated. Reed was one of the top performers ever and the bestthat ever was across from him was James Lofton- who despite his greatness, wasn't nearly as good. You want to talk big games? Check out what he did in the Houston playoff game. Look at what he did in the KC playoff games. He changed the way teams defended us and that is a hall of famer, IMHO.

Who showed up in most of those superbowls anyways- aside from the first Superbowl, what did Bruce, Kelly and Thurman do in the Superbowl games? They are all legit hall of famers. As big as people want to believe the Superbowl is, it is just one game. Hall of Fame is based on body of work.

I think the glorification of the tournament final is overrated. Reed was one of the top performers ever and the bestthat ever was across from him was James Lofton- who despite his greatness, wasn't nearly as good. You want to talk big games? Check out what he did in the Houston playoff game. Look at what he did in the KC playoff games. He changed the way teams defended us and that is a hall of famer, IMHO.

Who showed up in most of those superbowls anyways- aside from the first Superbowl, what did Bruce, Kelly and Thurman do in the Superbowl games? They are all legit hall of famers. As big as people want to believe the Superbowl is, it is just one game. Hall of Fame is based on body of work.

don't forget how he terrorized the Dolphins all those years...

don't forget how he terrorized the Dolphins all those years...

The two plays I will always remember were his over the shoulder catch vs KC in the playoffs and his touchdown against New England, when he pinballed off at least 8 defenders

The two plays I will always remember were his over the shoulder catch vs KC in the playoffs and his touchdown against New England, when he pinballed off at least 8 defenders

mine are the 3 TDs against the Oilers in the comeback game and him running thru the snow for like a 65 yard TD against the Dolphins as he split the safeties on the first drive to set the tone....

Sorry, but you said, and I quote: "Wouldnt go over the middle after he was hit in the big games and lost his cool in the big game.." To me you were distinguishing big games (like playoff games?) from thebig game (Super Bowl?) You point out that he "disappeared when it mattered most".... so can I assume you don't think Thurman Thomas or Jim Kelly belong in the HOF either? Thurman had a fine first Super Bowl, but was a non-factor for the rest of them. You might even be able to make the argument that Thurmans' head burying funk in SB XXVIII was a major contributer to their disaster of a second half. Nobody (except TT in SB XXV) had a really good Super Bowl for the Bills, in all those years...so should they all be kept out of the HOF?

neither did kelly or thomas

Unfortunatley for Andre the panel of Hall of Fame Voters put a much larger stock in Super Bowl performances than home town team fans do...I just dont see Andre getting in..And I dont disagree..Was he a fun to watch?? Yes..Was I glad he was on the Bills???Yes...Was I a fan of his? yes...

I dont think he changed the way teams defended us..Thurman and Kelly changed the way teams defended us..Reed was a part of it yes but he didnt change the way a team defended us..He was number 3 on the list of things teams did to try and stop us..Teams that wanted to beat the Bills wanted to stop Thurman and the runninggame first and foremost..Stop Thurman get to Kelly then stop Reed and the wr's..Teams that beat us did those in that order..

When all is said and done I would be willing to bet that Fitzgerald is in the Hall before Andre....I liked Andre but he disapeared in Superbowls..Wouldnt go over the middle after he was hit in the big games and lost his cool in the big game..If you could take out the Super Bowls he wouldve made it I gander..Lynn Swann had less numbers than Andre but he performed when it counted and he is in..You gotta play not crap your pants when it counts...

What he said.

What he said.

???

Andre Reed had a phenomenal game against the Cowboys in the Bills third Super Bowl, consistently getting the team in great scoring position (8 catches for 152 yards). If the other players played as well as he did (i.e., didn't turn the ball over virtually every other play), they may well have won.

???

Andre Reed had a phenomenal game against the Cowboys in the Bills third Super Bowl, consistently getting the team in great scoring position (8 catches for 152 yards). If the other players played as well as he did (i.e., didn't turn the ball over virtually every other play), they may well have won.

No, no, he was a non-factor in playoff games! Half the Bills fans here insist he was... :D

Unfortunatley for Andre the panel of Hall of Fame Voters put a much larger stock in Super Bowl performances than home town team fans do...I just dont see Andre getting in..And I dont disagree..Was he a fun to watch?? Yes..Was I glad he was on the Bills???Yes...Was I a fan of his? yes...

I dont think he changed the way teams defended us..Thurman and Kelly changed the way teams defended us..Reed was a part of it yes but he didnt change the way a team defended us..He was number 3 on the list of things teams did to try and stop us..Teams that wanted to beat the Bills wanted to stop Thurman and the runninggame first and foremost..Stop Thurman get to Kelly then stop Reed and the wr's..Teams that beat us did those in that order..

Warren Moon got in for his Superbowl performances, didn't he. Same for Archie Manning and Fran Tarkington. The superbowl is overrated.....face it. How did Derrick Thomas do in the Superbowl- he's a hall of famer too. Is Doug Williams or that RB from Washington who ran wild in the superbowl against the Broncos get it. The Superbowl is just another game- like it or not

Warren Moon got in for his Superbowl performances, didn't he. Same for Archie Manning and Fran Tarkington. The superbowl is overrated.....face it. How did Derrick Thomas do in the Superbowl- he's a hall of famer too. Is Doug Williams or that RB from Washington who ran wild in the superbowl against the Broncos get it. The Superbowl is just another game- like it or not

They didnt choke in them either..Its a moot point to argue..He isnt getting in..Whine all you want..I am not the only one that feels that way..He only had 3 1000 yard seasons if I remember correctly..He wasnt the main reason the Bills got to four SuperBowls and he certainly didnt help them win any

The SuperBowl is THE ONLY GAME THAT MATTERS..You better win it.. :D ..I guess years of losing them and not making the playoffs will misguide ones thinking

???

They were blown out..The Cowboys went to a prevent..Throw the stats away...

They didnt choke in them either..Its a moot point to argue..He isnt getting in..Whine all you want..I am not the only one that feels that way..He only had 3 1000 yard seasons if I remember correctly..He wasnt the main reason the Bills got to four SuperBowls and he certainly didnt help them win any

The SuperBowl is THE ONLY GAME THAT MATTERS..You better win it.. :D ..I guess years of losing them and not making the playoffs will misguide ones thinking

I'm not whining- if he gets in, he gets in. If he doesn't, thats no sweat off my back....its only football and football is only a game. The Superbowl is based on one season- maybe less. The Hall of Fame is body of work.