C or TE in 1st rd

Numark

I have a strong feeling he is going to drop to 8-12, and depending on how bad we play. WE may be able to get him. if he is there, i don't care what anyone says aobut needs, we grab him

And i know pass rush is by far the weakest part of the defense, our defense is still good/average. Our offense is terrible. Having a nice tall, fast tight end such as brandon pettigrew would help the offense and specifically trent edwards who would love to pass to tight ends all day. We are a C and good G for depth away from having a good offensive line, and our defense is still some positions away from being a great defense. But in my opinion, Fine is not going to be the answer, don't kid yourself. He may turn out to be a good tightend, but we want a playmaker. Fine is not playmaker.

If we pick a center, tightend, linebaker, or defensive end in the first round, I will be very happy. I just prefer a tightend at this point. This draft has 2 great pass-catching tight ends. has some great centers, specifically mack. Has some great OLBs in curry and cushing. And has some very good DEs.

This draft has the positions we need for once. So lets not screw this up.

I don't think anyone has ever made this observation before, but ... DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS. And good to average defenses DON'T.

If we ever make the playoffs, we will start to see GREAT QBs. Because Brady was injured this year, we did not see ONE great QB against us this year, except Kurt Warner. Anybody remember the score of that game?

If we had seen Brady also, it would have reminded us what it is like to see a really good QB pick us apart like a cat with a dying bird. Good QBs with lots of time don't lose games. In the playoffs next year, we will see Peyton Manning, Big Ben, probably Brady and some improving young guys. And they will annihilate us unless we can rush them.

Again, outside of Warner, we didn't see one single excellent QB against us this year. That's why many of us are calling our defense decent and not screaming for a pass rush.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Free agency is loaded with LB'ers and DE's that can rush the passer, and not so much with tight ends and centers. The best bet is to fill the pass rush need in free agency, because you're going to have to draft your TE if you want one.

For that reason, I think grabbing Jermaine Gresham in the 1st round is the best option, assuming we can target a pass rusher in free agency. Center is not a big enough need at this point to waste a 1st round pick on. There are some excellent centers that will be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

What pass rushers that we can REALISTICALLY get are available in free agency. I don't mean 4-sacks-a-year guys. I mean, say 8 sacks and up, serious threats.

And Peppers is going nowhere, he will be re-signed.

Assuming/hoping we draft top 10, the thought of drafting a pass rushing DE scares me. I know we need one terribly, but we cannot afford other bust. Gholston hardly saw the field this year, and I think we need more of an immediate impact type of player.

Busts come at every position. Not just pass rushers. And Gholston may be a sensational player yet. It's extremely rare that a pass rusher plays well in his first year.

Free agency is loaded with LB'ers and DE's that can rush the passer, and not so much with tight ends and centers. The best bet is to fill the pass rush need in free agency, because you're going to have to draft your TE if you want one.

For that reason, I think grabbing Jermaine Gresham in the 1st round is the best option, assuming we can target a pass rusher in free agency. Center is not a big enough need at this point to waste a 1st round pick on. There are some excellent centers that will be available in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Gresham is only a junior - I don't know if he's planning on entering the draft yet, but he'd be a target if he does.

I think Sage hit the nail on the head - pass rush is the weakest part of the team, so it's as simple as going for a pass-rushing DE in the first round. Considering that first round picks are usually made on play-makers and are the "sexy" picks, it's really best to go for someone like that in the first round. What I don't know is whether or not we'll do this because of the money that Kelsay is getting.

That said, we'll have to wait until the FA period begins and see what's available. Unless a major philosophy change happens with this front office, I wouldn't bet too much on a stud DE.

I suspect it will be a linebacker or Defensive lineman, either end or tackle. I know our offense is hurting, but I think that will be addressed in free agency.

Ditto. Best available at any of those 3 positions. My one concession would be if a monster O-lineman dropped in our laps.

I'm in agreement with C/TE in R1. The Bills have desperately needed both for a decade or more, and while they might be able to find a quality C in FA (and they'd probably be better off), they won't find a good TE this year. As with another poster, Jermaine Gresham would be my first round target as it stands right now. If he does not declare for the draft, its likely that I'd look to LB, DT or possibly DE. In any event, these bottom five finishes the last several years offensively are not good enough and are the reason this team does not win.

As big of a need as DE is, its a position that scares the hell out of me in R1. Its almost as difficult to find a good DE as it is to find a good QB. The last two seasons, 9 college DEs have gone in R1. They currently have posted a grand total of 19 sacks in the 2008 NFL season; Chris Long and Gaines Adams have half of those. Last year's board favorite, Derrick Harvey, has 12 tackles and 1.5 sacks (and those sacks came against the Lions). The point is, if the Bills draft a DE, they'd better know what they're doing, as its an unusually difficult position to draft effectively. I don't mind them picking one, but if they have any questions about the guy at all, they should walk away and turn their focus elsewhere. We don't need another Chris Kelsay or Ryan Denney making $4M per year.

Use Schobel and/or Kelsay as a trade (move up in the first to take an elite DE).

Use Peters/Fowler/or Preston as a trade (move up and take an elite OL). Was I too soon go give up on Peters, maybe.

Sweet. We can use preston and fowler in the draft to trade up from round 7 pick #12 to round 7 pick #8.

well if we do go TE or OC in the 1st round, which I doubt - there are really only 4 candidates at this point

Jermaine Gresham - Oklahoma - TE - great receiver and good blocker - 6'6, 260

Brandon Pettigrew - Oklahoma State - TE - great blocker and very good receiver - 6'6, 260

Max Unger - Oregon - versatile, smar, can play all interior positions - 6'5, 300

Alex Mack - Cal - very smart with good size - 6'4, 315

but we've got to go pass rusher. one of these guys might still be there in the 2nd round. A potentially elite pass rusher won't be.

This is my feeling

If there is a pass rusher in the draft that could make an immediate impact I dont know HOW you could possibly pass that up. We have NO pass rush and it isn't that great when Schrobel IS in the game....

Pass Rush has an effect at other positions on the field......Corner? Safety? Linebacker? turnovers?

I think we have to go DE unless all the good ones are taken.

You shouldn't hate on those guys...they never got proper coaching in Buffalo, you watch, they'll go to another team and be really really good.

You're right. I should be blaming them and them alone for being the reason the Bills have been losing the last 2 games and aren't going to the playoffs.