Question For Long Time Posters

Bill from NYC

The general frustration is that things have not turned around in almost ten years, and we are all having a hard time identifying the problems and even whether our team or individual players are talented. The frustration is exacerbated by Miami (and other teams, such at Atlanta) turning things around in one year and a sense that this team is soft (probably not true, but it is weird that we do not know if Trent can play in poor weather conditions). Finally, the easiest schedule in years and the Toronto situation (and constant anxiety about the team moving from Buffalo) add to the overall feeling of utter frustration.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been getting worse every year. There are exceptionally intelligent posters, but they tend to get drowned out by those who deal in absolutes and enjoy being angry (You people have no idea if I'm refering to you either). Rationality has given way to lunacy and I don't think it has much to do with the 5-1 start.

I agree with the concept of internet anonymity reducing accountability. For those who are interested in this, The Lucifer Effect makes a very good reading- it goes in depth as to how anonymity and such things eliminate all accountability. A bit off topic here though

I do not know for other people, but that game on Sunday was as bad as I have EVER felt watching a Bills game. I am 46 in a few months, and have seen some truly god-awful teams in my life. But, watching htem in that dome, with that crowd, with zero emotion, was just to much for me. (And, I must preface by saying I was one of the folks who said a game in Toronto okay by me if it keeps in Buffalo.)

I usually hate the "even my wife" statements, but even my wife chimed in on Sunday. She of course the one who always says I take the games to seriously, get to worked up, stop yelling at the TV no one can here you, its only a game type of spouse. Really never watches the games with me, but she was sick on Sunday and on the couch, and it was just to damn cold for me to watch outside, so she was stuck.

When she finally figured out this was a home game for the Bills, saw how pathetic the crowd was, how pathetic the ofense was etc, she actually felt bad for me as a Bills fan for the first time in 17 years. Thats why I think after that game the venom has spewed worse than ever

Yeah, it's worse this season because, in Year 3 of the Jauron/Levy era, people have finally lost patience whereas in previous seasons, there was still a prevailing "let it play out" attitude. Year 3 is always a critical year in a rebuild. Hence, much caterwauling about what we have witnessed.

I think each passing year of futility builds into the crescendo of anger you see before you. What has made this year even more entertaining is that we started so well and had the expectations pulled out from under us. No worries though, but this time next year, we will be asking the same questions....

I'm a 38 year old lifelong Bills fan and I've never been as frustrated or disgusted with this team. I'm seriously considering giving up on the time, energy, emotion, and money that I invest in this apparent lost cause. A lot of the reasons have been covered in this thread... fast start/collapse, 9 year playoff drought, other franchises recovering fast and leaving us "in their dust", early belief that NE was vulnerable, and the hope we gained from Stroud, Mitchell, and some of our young guys coming into their own.

My additions to that list...

- LAST place in the AFCE. - 0-4 in the division. - 3-4 at home. You obviously want to win them all but it starts by winning at home, "NOT in OUR house", but so far this season, we've bent over at home for the Jets, Browns, 9'ers, and Dolphins. During the "glory years" there was an aura of invincibility that surrounded Rich Stadium. Teams knew that they had an uphill battle just coming here. Now this gutless, heartless, group of losers rolls out the red carpet and allows any sub-par team to come in here, punch them in the mouth , and leave with a win. It's a disgrace and the fans of this team truly deserve better. That leads to my last point of frustration. Where is the passion with this team? Where is the hunger to win, the anger at losing? From the owner, to the coach and his staff, and the players. Where is the evidence that they HATE to lose and want to win. I just don't see it. And if I don't see things change soon, I'm going to stop caring too.

This team sucks. There's plenty of talent and depth at multiple positions, yet the players have absolutely no 'fire in the belly'. They're perfectly content to suck out loud and lose every Sunday. We have not had a game-day coach in what now seems like ages who knows how to exploit an opposing defense, make adjustments at half-time, and manage the game clock, timeouts, & challenges wisely. It also seems the coaching staff has no ability to teach, as the team is regressing rather than improving. Ergo, both the coaching staff and player personnel are worthless.

So yeah, I think fans are just sick of it, and it shows on TSW. !@#$ the Bills.

I agree with those who point the the fast start - we were flying high and when we fell we fell from a distance and it seems to hit harder.

I'd also add a few more factors:

1. The injury to Tom Brady in week 1 had many people believing that the division was up for grabs - no longer a forgone conclusion that the Pats would win it and to see the playoffs you'd need a wildcard. The Pats were tantalizingly vulnerable.

2. After the 2007 season and all the injuries, we were finally healthy - half our starters were not on IR - now we could realy show how good a team were were!

3. Trent and other young players who had shown flashes had full offseason and training camp to get better

4. We though we filled some key holes - Stroud at DT and a tall #2 WR in Hardy - we were going to stop the run and have a red zone threat - a guy you could lob the ball up to in the corner and he'd go get it

You have some really good points here.

To add one more regarding the AFC East, the Fins were coming off a 1-15 year with yet another new head coach, which is the kiss of death, right? And NY made Brett a Jet, ostensibly to fill seats and sell T shirts & hats. And who would have thought that Geezer Favre would actually take a team heading downhill and make THAT much of an impact in the first new offense he's seen in, what, 47 seasons?

So you had NE without Brady, NY with an AARP QB that was getting tutored on the sidelines between plays and Miami with a new head coach and a new "noodle armed" quarterback who had to learn a new offense.

If this was EVER the year the Bills practically had the AFC East handed to them, this was it. At least on paper.

But as I used to say when I was teaching programming, "All programs work on paper".

I still think it was the high hopes after the 5-1 start that makes it hurt so much now. The Bills looked hungry, and focused and determined. They even engineered 4th quarter comebacks, though admittedly not against the likes of the Steelers or Giants. But, the higher you are on the ladder, the more it hurts when you fall off.

The sad (tragic really) fact is that no matter what the Bills have tried doing since the Levy and Kelly era, nothing has really worked to bring the Bills back to that level.

I started following the Bills in 1960 at age 15 and have had season tickets forever. The only years I missed were 66-68 because of military service. I've been addicted to this team for all these years and have never been so frustrated at the product thats been rolled out. People, I've lived through many long suffering losing seasons but this late crop of teams have somehow reached a lower low. They go through the motions and lose in embarrasing ways. Watch other teams play and they show a decent offense, score points and/or have a decent defense. We look lost, passionless with a who cares attitude. Tired of the same old cliches. We need to work harder, execute better. It'a all BS. These guys need to show some spirit and if you have to lose, at least go down fighting.

I'll continue to support the Bills as long as they're in town, win or lose, but I can't stomach the apathy I'm seeing now........

Personally, I believe the fans are so disgruntled because our coach isn't. Win or lose he is exactly the same. Does he know how annoying that is. I want to know that he is pi$$ed when they lose and has an answer on how to fix it the next time.

He gets up there in the post-game press conferences and says,"we did X well, and we did Y well, but we'll have go back at look at this and see how we can fix Z." Dick, don't pi$$ on my leg and tell me it's raining. You haven't fixed the same things for 3 years, why should I believe that you can fix them now?

Well...I guess that's why I'm mad. The futility of it. At least when there is a train wreck it eventually smashes and is over. There is really no end in sight with this thing.

It's basically like reading daily temper-tantrums on the wall. One thing is clear though, firing head coaches every 2 to 3 years is the recipe for not having a playoff team for another decade. Another thing is clear, if not for a couple of missed, field goals that should have been made, we are 8-6 and not having these conversations.

Or look at it this way: if not for 3 4th quarter comebacks early on against lousy teams (Rams, Raiders, Jags), the team is 3-10 and we're marching RWS with pitchforks.

To answer Bill's question, I agree. I know I haven't been this frustrated in a long time. For me, it's that I really thought this team could make a run at the playoffs for the first time in a really long time. Then, in the last 2 weeks in particular, against only "OK" teams, at home(ish), the Bills played heartless.

That's upsetting. Also upsetting to admit that this team is further away than we all thought. Jets are much better. Dophins too. Next year Pats get Brady back. The Bills? They'll get some FAs to fill holes and won't be much different. Ugh.

I was still most upset with the 2003 team, the most gutless bunch cowards ever to wear the Bills uniform. :censored:

I had already come to grips that it is the beginning of the end, so all this year's team has done is added to the overall disappointment. I don't think anything significantly changes for the better until Ralph is dead.

ICE Hogboy Soparano...JSP :censored: ...this year is not too much different than another bad year over the last 8 or 9...

Maybe so, but I've seen even some fairly new posters come on here and just start blastin away at people who don't agree with their opinions or dispute their points. It certainly seems like everyone is a bit more chippy around here lately though.

It's basically like reading daily temper-tantrums on the wall. One thing is clear though, firing head coaches every 2 to 3 years is the recipe for not having a playoff team for another decade. Another thing is clear, if not for a couple of missed, field goals that should have been made, we are 8-6 and not having these conversations.

- I've been on the wall since '01 or '02 under different names and passwords long lost to time.

If I had a dollar for every post that said JP called himself out in the Jacksonville game, I could take my wife out to a nice dinner & then get her liquored up. :censored: Dick called himself out every bit as much as JP before the season started saying the Bills will make the playoffs, & anything else is unacceptable. I agree changing coaches every three years is not the recipe for success, however keeping a POOR HC is also not the recipe for success. Regarding the field goals, I can also say, if not for NUMEROUS missed blocks, poor play calling, dropped passes etc.. JP & Trent would have both looked a lot better. IF.....IF....IF.....COULDA WOULDA SHOULDA DICK MUST GO.

I can't speak for others, but yeah it's worse than usual for me. I can tell because I'm not angry about it or looking for causes and solutions.

I'm not looking to see who next years free agents are, or imagining any college prospects donning the red, white and blue during their first press conference at One Bills Drive.

I'm not even debating with other posters about the team. I can barely make myself interested enough to read and click the thread titles.

I just don't care.

It's weird for me because usually I do care. I'll usually watch the meaningless games anyway and try to understand why the season went wrong. This is where I begin to rationalize and gain hope for the next season.

But I have very, very little hope right now. And why should I?