Bone head play of the week...

Alphadawg7

This guy has a terrible challenge record, so I wonder if this contributed to it. Wes Welkers first quarter 40 yard catch was so 100% clearly out of bounds and they dont challenge...result NE TD a few plays later. Half of his foot was out of bounds and they had PERFECT angles on this...why on earth would he not challenge here.

Is this him or did our guys in the booth screw up? All I know is that this was one of the dumbest no challenges I have seen, especially since the play put NE in scoring position. It needs to be someones azz this week for that bone head play!

This guy has a terrible challenge record, so I wonder if this contributed to it. Wes Welkers first quarter 40 yard catch was so 100% clearly out of bounds and they dont challenge...result NE TD a few plays later. Half of his foot was out of bounds and they had PERFECT angles on this...why on earth would he not challenge here.

Is this him or did our guys in the booth screw up? All I know is that this was one of the dumbest no challenges I have seen, especially since the play put NE in scoring position. It needs to be someones azz this week for that bone head play!

I'm totally fed up with the ineptitude regarding challenges. Plays like that can make-or-break games. The refs are already saying "just give it to 'em" when it comes to the Pats. Do we really need our head coach saying "just give it to 'em", as well?!!

The Bills have always looked like amateurs in this respect. I really can't understand why this is so difficult. I'm usually 6 beers deep during a game and even I know when to challenge and when not to (and I'm not the only one). EVERYONE in the bar knows when to challenge. WTF!?!

Just give me DJ's cell phone number and I'll text him and tell him what to do. I'll do this for FREE!

What is the effing problem here?

Before this year, I always thought that DJ made good challenge decisions.

I think what DJ has been struggling with this year is when to challenge plays. Challenging the Welker play made sense because it was early in the 1st half (i.e., we could afford to blow a time out), and it was a big play on that drive. I think once you get into the second half when time-outs matter and you want to keep time-outs and have opportunities to challenge right up to the 2-minute warning, that's when you have to be more judicious with your challenges.

Frankly, I think I would be pretty good at being the Bills' challenge booth guy. :blink:

Guest dog14787
Jauron did throw the red flag on this play, but the official did not see it. Can't really put that one on Dickie J.

Except 99.9% of the head coaches would have been standing there in plain day, with the red flag in their hand making sure the official was going to notice them one way or the other, being a shy, soft spoken head coach is BS and I'm sick of it.

I'm not calling for Jauron's head , I'm calling for him to make a change in the shy, nervous way he acts. Stand up and act like a leader of men, act like a head coach, is that to much to ask? :blink:

Do we have someone competent in the booth to actually see if it's a good idea to challenge?

I heard the guy had to piss real bad and was in the can at the time of the play and replay.

Jauron did throw the red flag on this play, but the official did not see it. Can't really put that one on Dickie J.

Actually DJ didn't "throw" the flag per se, he admittedly "dropped" the flag on the sidelines where no one could see it. In other words, our coach rides the short bus to all games.

DJ needs to be a little more....err.....ALOT more assertive!

He's not that variety of Dick.

Some Dick's are assertive, they are hard headed and take charge Dicks.

Other Dick's are not so assertive, they are soft at their core & don't want to stand out. You can change his raincoat all you want but he'll still shrink away from the action.

Before this year, I always thought that DJ made good challenge decisions.

I think what DJ has been struggling with this year is when to challenge plays. Challenging the Welker play made sense because it was early in the 1st half (i.e., we could afford to blow a time out), and it was a big play on that drive. I think once you get into the second half when time-outs matter and you want to keep time-outs and have opportunities to challenge right up to the 2-minute warning, that's when you have to be more judicious with your challenges.

Frankly, I think I would be pretty good at being the Bills' challenge booth guy. :blink:

Exactly, the time it happened is the most frustrating thing. I could see if it was in the 2nd half & you did not want to burn a timeout. This was on the 1st drive, who gives a sh*t if you burn a timeout in the 1st half.

Hesitation will get you killed everytime in the NFL. You seen what happened in the AR/SF game. The coaches were unsure of themselves & in the end it cost SF the game. Well, I think right now Dick & the Boys are unsure of what they are doing & that is why they are hesitant. Hopefully, they get the kinks ironed out. The season is on the line monday night.

Yes all of this is true and frustrating but the defense still had some chances after that to make some plays and they failed.

All I know is that this was one of the dumbest no challenges I have seen, especially since the play put NE in scoring position. It needs to be someones azz this week for that bone head play!

I think an arguement could also be made for calling the time-out right before punting at the end of the 1st half. There was absolutely no reason for the time-out and completely wasted a possible scoring opportunity after the great punt stuck them inside the 10. There still could have been 45 seconds left when NE punted if they had just done it right away.

Do we have someone competent in the booth to actually see if it's a good idea to challenge?

I know sometimes we at Home get a Replay before the Booth (at least that's what they tell us...still don't understand that fully...), but it was crystal clear from the 1st Replay that Welker was out-of-bounds...I was celebrating...Then they showed the Replay, in slow-mo, at least twice before The Pats got the snap off...I'm not sure if they showed the Replay on the screen in NE...Maybe not...But there really was NO excuse...All anyone had to do was see that Replay once to know it would be overturned because not only was Welker's first foot out-of-bounds, but He also did not have control of the Ball when He went out-of-bounds...It was a no-risk, no-brainer challenge...No-brains, but the HC still has to have a pulse in order to run out and make damn certain The Refs see the red flag...Ol' Dead Dick just could not seem to move and that weak ass crap about "I dropped the flag but it was on the sidelines and the Refs did not see it!?!?" I'm not saying The Bills would have Won the Game, because that's still unlikely...But make no mistake that was a HUGE Play in this Game...It set The Patsies up for their only TD of the Game until Late in the 4th Quarter...That non-challenge turned out to be pretty huge...

Way to go Dick! :blink:

DJ did throw the challenge flag. The refs ignored it. Get your facts straight before you whine.

DJ did throw the challenge flag. The refs ignored it. Get your facts straight before you whine.

Yep, he threw it, didn't get the refs attention and proceeded to let NE get a free 30 yard play that set up a touchdown in what turned out to be a close scoring game. Brilliant, simply brilliant.

Part of the reason the challenge didn't happen is because NE knew damn well they got away with one and quickly lined up to snap the ball.

RIGHT THERE the Bills should have had a clue. So, when the officials didn't see Jauron quietly holding the red hanky, contemplating a challenge, why doesn't one of the Bills defensive players, recognizing the situation, jump offsides unabated to the QB or do something else to delay the play from happening?

And don't they now have electronic communication with the defensive players? If the coaches upstairs had acted quickly enough, maybe they could have had some on-field assistance from the player with the communication device to help the officials look to Jauron or find a way to delay the snap.

This is another idiot thread. The premise is that Jauron is terrible on challenges. Actually, despite some mistakes this season, he has a very good record on challenges. And the coach has to heavily depend on whoever is in the booth as to when to throw the flag.