Marshawn Lynch looking for the homerun on every run play

Lynch4mvp

This makes a lot of sense what Merrill just said.... It seems Lynch is always trying to be too cute and juke everyone instead of just pounding it for 3, 4 yds everytime. If he does that then those longer runs will come after pounding them. He needs to just hit the hole, there is too much dancing going on

This makes a lot of sense what Merrill just said.... It seems Lynch is always trying to be too cute and juke everyone instead of just pounding it for 3, 4 yds everytime. If he does that then those longer runs will come after pounding them. He needs to just hit the hole, there is too much dancing going on

Problem is, I haven't seen any holes that he or Jackson can hit.

i think on a number of plays he is looking to do too much, instead of what is there and open.

however, on 75%(?) of the plays, he is just barreling into the backs of his Olinemen who have been stood up at the LOS. and churning out 2 or 3 tough yards. which is exactly what Hodge wants him to do.

the bigger question is, why does it seem we only run him between the guards? every sweep or pitch we have given him this year goes for big gains. get him outside, where he can pick a hole and explode through some space.

No, it's not being cute. We've all watched him... get the ball, power into the line of scrimmage... get hit, and either amazingly spin out or drag people 2-3 extra yards. Jenkins is just too good a play to spin away from or overpower. Very rarely does Marshawn have a hole open up in which he is not touched until 4 yards down the field.

I wonder the same thing keepthefaith. Seems like they always drop 8 at the right time. Blowing up the center of the line doesn't help the run but it does seem like we are easy to figure out. it's a copy cat league and I am sure Belechek will employ some of the same looks this week until the Bills show they can stop it.

WHAT HOLE! :P:wallbash::rolleyes:

Where are the misdirection plays? Where are the draws? The screens? The imagination? It's simply gone....

Had one beautiful screen set up yesterday.

Did not see one toss/pitch.

Did not see one reverse to slow down pursuit.

I do remember a draw and it didn't work. Too much penetration by the jests line yesterday.

Had one beautiful screen set up yesterday.

Did not see one toss/pitch.

Did not see one reverse to slow down pursuit.

I do remember a draw and it didn't work. Too much penetration by the jests line yesterday.

Had 2 beautiful screens... but one was a drop by Jackson for the second game in a row... He needs to stop worrying on those screens. CATCH THEN GO!

I referenced this in another thread about Fred Jackson vs Marshawn...nobody responded, but I think it bears some consideration.

Recently, I heard Lindy Ruff talking about the improvement of Thomas Vanek. Lindy said something, that I think might apply to Marshawn...and I am paraphrasing:

"Once Thomas (Marshawn?) learned to move more efficiently, his game improved all the way around. Once he learned that he could make one move, instead of three, and have the same result, the "light" came on." It is the same problem that Lindy claims has afflicted Max Affinigenov, but he hasn't learned that yet.

I love Marshawn, and I love the way he plays. But, there may be something to Lindys' "economy of moves" that applies to him. It is odd that Fred Jackson seems to have an easier time running up the middle, than Marshawn. He doesn't do anything spectacular, not a lot of moves, but he just seems to find the holes, as small as they may be, easier.

well maybe---but perhaps hes trying to juke cuz he is facing a non moving brick wall every time

All the people sitting around me in the box agreed yesterday, that Lynch dances way too much. Many times he moves laterally when approaching the line of scrimmage. It works in college but in the NFL he's just not faster than the defenders. The O-line does him no favors either but Marshawn has to hit the hole and run straight. He wastes so much time moving lateral.

I referenced this in another thread about Fred Jackson vs Marshawn...nobody responded, but I think it bears some consideration.

Recently, I heard Lindy Ruff talking about the improvement of Thomas Vanek. Lindy said something, that I think might apply to Marshawn...and I am paraphrasing:

"Once Thomas (Marshawn?) learned to move more efficiently, his game improved all the way around. Once he learned that he could make one move, instead of three, and have the same result, the "light" came on." It is the same problem that Lindy claims has afflicted Max Affinigenov, but he hasn't learned that yet.

I love Marshawn, and I love the way he plays. But, there may be something to Lindys' "economy of moves" that applies to him. It is odd that Fred Jackson seems to have an easier time running up the middle, than Marshawn. He doesn't do anything spectacular, not a lot of moves, but he just seems to find the holes, as small as they may be, easier.

I completely agree with what you're saying. I've thought since last season that Lynch dances a little too much, as opposed to just hitting the hole with a head of steam. However, I think we have to all remember that as good as Lynch has been... he's only in his 2nd season. Yes, I know some players come right out and lead the league from day one, but certainly that's an exception and not the norm.

Much like Trent, we have some very young players that are just now beginning to learn what they can become. They make mistakes. They sometime fail. But, more importantly they have the heart, desire, and temperament to grow and succeed. It's going to be really fun when the game begins to slow down for these guys.