Hit on Edwards dirty?

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

profootballtalk.com thinks so (from pft):

FINE SEEMS ALMOST CERTAIN FOR WILSON

Posted by Mike Florio on October 5, 2008, 8:23 p.m.

A week after a key player for the Arizona Cardinals was knocked out (literally) by a helmet-to-helmet hit, a member of the Cardinals used his hat as a weapon, and almost certainly will be fined for it.

Safety Adrian Wilson sent Bills quarterback Tent Edwards to the showers early by putting the crown of Wilson’s helmet into Edwards’ facemask. The play took on an even higher level of violence as Wilson seemed to intentionally drive his hat into Edwards’ jaw when the two of them hit the ground.

If the goal is to stop these kinds of hits, then Wilson needs to lose a significant chunk of his pay for the week.

Meanwhile, NBC’s Keith Olbermann will likely generate a flurry of calls and e-mails for his comment while narrating highlights of a disoriented Edwards being carted off the field.

“I can see Russia from here” was the line Olbermann attributed to Edwards. It was an objectively funny line, but the pro-Palin viewers in the audience, who surely are already looking for reasons to complain about the polarizing Olbermann’s involvement in a sports show, probably won’t see the humor in it.

Meanwhile, NBC’s Keith Olbermann will likely generate a flurry of calls and e-mails for his comment while narrating highlights of a disoriented Edwards being carted off the field.

“I can see Russia from here” was the line Olbermann attributed to Edwards. It was an objectively funny line, but the pro-Palin viewers in the audience, who surely are already looking for reasons to complain about the polarizing Olbermann’s involvement in a sports show, probably won’t see the humor in it.

Fukk that smug little pinched-face pusbag, Keith Olbermann. I would love to hear him squeal with delight while I repeatedly smacked his fat ass with a cricket paddle as he crawled naked around a circus ring in front of thousands of cheering spectators.

Seriously, who could get bent out of shape by a remark like that? Certainly nobody is so humorless to let a stupid joke set them off.

Fukk that smug little pinched-face pusbag, Keith Olbermann. I would love to hear him squeal with delight while I repeatedly smacked his fat ass with a cricket paddle as he crawled naked around a circus ring in front of thousands of cheering spectators.

Oh.

Never mind.

That's his normal Saturday night.

I thought it was pretty clean, but I can see the argument for unecessarily driving Trent into the ground. If he was a DT and not a S, it would have been a penalty I think. Refs are human and I think sometimes its easier to hold the flag when the tackler is the smaller player.

Now him ripping of Marshawn's helmet...that was some sht. I was hoping someone would slap him around for that. In fact, I was really hoping Reed would find himself blocking Wilson at some point.

Keith Olberfuhrer

The only reason his head was under Edwards chin was because Edwards is tall. I didn't think it was dirty. Just hard.

If the call on Garrad by Harrison was Roughing the Passer, then the hit by Wilson was definitely dirty.

I thought it was pretty clean, but I can see the argument for unecessarily driving Trent into the ground. If he was a DT and not a S, it would have been a penalty I think. Refs are human and I think sometimes its easier to hold the flag when the tackler is the smaller player.

Bingo.

Folks....please keep in mind when deciding whether or not that was a dirty hit that at some point this season we are going to see one of our defensive players flagged for roughing the passer for doing a lot less then what Wilson did....

The defender knows that his helmet needs to be NOWHERE near the helmet of the QB.....and driving him into the ground like that is a intent to injure.

I fully believe that hit made the difference between winning and losing today.....I know the defense played like crap but I still believe our D would not have been on the field as much because Edwards would have made plays to keep their offense OFF the field.

If I am Mark Kelso I am on the phone to Trents agent and the FO and anyone else who will listen to me to buy some of my goofy looking helmets. The big head bills should lead the NFL to the land of no head injuries. Seriously.

We don't want a great QB lost for his career because of a PREVENTABLE problem.

BTW watching the replay on NFL highlights it looked fairly clean but I could see him getting a fine just because it is the QB and he did knock him out (not that I think it would be fair).

Olberman is usually very funny and very smart. Republicans hate him, Democrats don't. It's as simple as that. And it's not amusing to me, however, when a guy gets a head injury. That changed the entire game.

Politics don't belong on a football highlight show. Besides Olberdork is a psycho.

profootballtalk.com thinks so (from pft):

FINE SEEMS ALMOST CERTAIN FOR WILSON

Posted by Mike Florio on October 5, 2008, 8:23 p.m.

A week after a key player for the Arizona Cardinals was knocked out (literally) by a helmet-to-helmet hit, a member of the Cardinals used his hat as a weapon, and almost certainly will be fined for it.

Safety Adrian Wilson sent Bills quarterback Tent Edwards to the showers early by putting the crown of Wilson’s helmet into Edwards’ facemask. The play took on an even higher level of violence as Wilson seemed to intentionally drive his hat into Edwards’ jaw when the two of them hit the ground.

If the goal is to stop these kinds of hits, then Wilson needs to lose a significant chunk of his pay for the week.

Thank GOD someone in the media confirms what alot of us saw with our own eyes. To be clear, it wasn't Wilson's HELMET, per se, that drove Edwards' head backwards to create the force necessary for the back of his head to slam into NATURAL GRASS so hard to cause a concussion. It was literally Wilson's FACEMASK that he drove willingly and intentionally into Edward's jawbone, meaning he SAW what he was doing and didn't pull up, no, just the opposite.

Again, that's natural grass Edwards landed on, not the usual cement floor under thin artificial turf. The ONLY reason he sustained a concussion is because Wilson intentionally tucked his head, grasped Edwards tight, and arched himself into the hit so Edwards' head was the first thing to hit the ground, with Wilson's entire weight behind it. If it WAS artificial turf, I shudder to think of what COULD have resulted. Edwards' injury could have been MUCH worse.

Face it, if one seriously questions Wilson's intent to injure on his many hits today, they have TWO plays to look at, first the massace of Edwards after he released the ball, and then, later, the OBVIOUS rip of Lynch's helmet, followed by a KNEE to the FACE, which the ridiculously blind TV announcers even pointed out, in awe and disgust. The fact that neither of these plays even invoked a flag is indicative of the absolute sh-- we have for referees nowadays. Pure crap.

And if people want to say I'm advocating sissy football because of this, or am being hypocritical, so be it. That's your right. But I've been watching this game for 30 years, and I recognize teams with a chip on their shoulder when I see them. Wisenhunt's entire squad was out for blood today. A blind gopher could see that. The only Bills player who seemed to realize this, and respond in kind, was Kawika Mitchell. Even Dick Jauron, with his sheepish refusal to toss the challenge flag when the replay clearly showed the ground causing Royal's fumble, seemed to be completely demoralized and listless today. Sickening to watch.

Furthermore, I guarantee you that Kawika would welcome a fine of his own with open arms if the League actually intended to review Wilson's brutal tactics with as critical an eye as they seemed to with that questionable hit on Anquan Boldin a mere week previous. Talk about hypocritical. If the Cards want to continue to whine about the hit on Boldin, which was accidental at BEST, after Wisenhunt's clinic today on head hunting, then they re-define the word "Audacious", in my opinion.

And if you think I'm just a homer, I also believe, always have, that Bruce Smith SHOULD HAVE been fined and suspended when he drove Boomer Esiason's head into the ground in that Jets game way back when, basically ending that guy's career. The way Edwards' career would have been ended today, had that game been played anywhere but on natural grass.

I remember about 10 years or so ago a breakaway helmet was pitched to the NFL with documentation that it reduced concussions. They didn't want it. My guess is they felt if helmets kept breaking away during a game it would slow the game down and be cost prohibitive. I can't believe that there hasn't been greater advances though since Kelso wore his helmet.

If Kelso's helmet really helped reduce concussions why aren't they mandatory? Who gives a crap what they look like?