Favorite Dead song

Corp000085

So, it's a boring Friday evening and I'm very interested in what you guys and gals think is your favorite Grateful Dead song. If you can, provide a youtube link for our viewing and listening enjoyment. Right now, my favorite is black muddy river. In the youtube link, Jerry's voice is shot, and its a stupid audience video, but I've been perfecting it on my guitar. Therefore, it is my favorite song at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsZ5aBPKAM4

Stuck at home myself.

How do you pick one Dead song? Discipline!

My favorite:

To answer your question, it is literally impossible to pick one. Basically, you either love the dead, or hate them. if you hate them, you cringe any time you hear jerry's guitar. if you love them, you pick a song and roll with it for a few days. Then you go to the next one... It's a love affair. That's all i'm posting, so i bid you all goodnight. lay down my dear brother, lay down and take a rest... oh won't you lay your head upon jesus' breast. for i love you, oh but jesus loves you the best. And we bid you goodnight, goodnight, goodnight!

So, it's a boring Friday evening and I'm very interested in what you guys and gals think is your favorite Grateful Dead song. If you can, provide a youtube link for our viewing and listening enjoyment. Right now, my favorite is black muddy river. In the youtube link, Jerry's voice is shot, and its a stupid audience video, but I've been perfecting it on my guitar. Therefore, it is my favorite song at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsZ5aBPKAM4

shake it shake it sugarrry...or whatever that song is called.................-They would be brilliant for the first five songs--then you would need heavy drugs to appreciate the experience...--Deadheadism---a cult ..but a cult of generally good people..

To answer your question, it is literally impossible to pick one. Basically, you either love the dead, or hate them. if you hate them, you cringe any time you hear jerry's guitar. if you love them, you pick a song and roll with it for a few days. Then you go to the next one... It's a love affair. That's all i'm posting, so i bid you all goodnight. lay down my dear brother, lay down and take a rest... oh won't you lay your head upon jesus' breast. for i love you, oh but jesus loves you the best. And we bid you goodnight, goodnight, goodnight!

I am the exception to that rule, I guess. It's fairly well know that I'm an insufferable music snob who dislikes almost everything. But, I like the Dead, OK. I used to have several of their albums. I have seen them in concert a few times (once they were great, and once they sucked). I think Jerry is a pretty talented guy and underrated musician.

But, I don't get the whole Deadhead thing, at all. I mean, I guess I "get it", but I don't feel it, at all. I think their entire catalog is a little spotty, but the best stuff is pretty good. I feel better defending them against their knee-jerk critics, than talking some reason into their knee-jerk fans, if you get my drift.

I can't really pick a favorite tune, I don't think. "Uncle John's Band" is pretty fuc#ing good.

Overall, though, I like The Band, better than The Dead.

The band is great too... However, it seems like you have to appreciate the entire body of work of the grateful dead. They are basically three distinct groups: studio work, live work that sucks, and live awesomeness. You can't listen to a 9/16/1991 singing of not fade away and come to a conclusion that the dead sucks. But dean, I love UJB too... god damn, well i declare..

I've always liked the Dead without being a huge fan. Never saw them live and never bought any albums or CD's.

is my favorite.

Likewise...I think I was always turned off by the fans...but I guess I always liked their music. They have all the elements that I like in my music, and I guess I am a sucker for that country tinged rock, when it is done right. I saw the Dead live, once, at the Aud in 1981. It was the night before going to see the Stones at Rich Stadium. My best friend and I headed straight from the Aud to Rich, to camp out for the Stones. I also saw the Kinks that same week...good times. Ironically, I remember my buddy giving me sh-- for going to see all these old geezers...that was 27 years ago...and a lot of these guys (the living ones) are still cranking it out! That

My favorites:

"Shakedown Street" (just a cool sounding song)

"Ripple" (obvious I know)

"Tennessee Jed" (great lyrics...a buddy of mine recorded a cover of this, and it made me "hear" the song for the first time, even though I had listened to it a numerous times...)

I am the exception to that rule, I guess. It's fairly well know that I'm an insufferable music snob who dislikes almost everything. But, I like the Dead, OK. I used to have several of their albums. I have seen them in concert a few times (once they were great, and once they sucked). I think Jerry is a pretty talented guy and underrated musician.

But, I don't get the whole Deadhead thing, at all. I mean, I guess I "get it", but I don't feel it, at all. I think their entire catalog is a little spotty, but the best stuff is pretty good. I feel better defending them against their knee-jerk critics, than talking some reason into their knee-jerk fans, if you get my drift.

I can't really pick a favorite tune, I don't think. "Uncle John's Band" is pretty fuc#ing good.

Overall, though, I like The Band, better than The Dead.

Hey man I just got a tape from '71 at Portland OR potfest. I can arrange to send it to you.

i used to be anti-dead, mainly because of the whole deadhead culture and never really got into them musically........then i went to my first show.....i was instantly hooked....

btw friend of the devil may be my favorite song,

Likewise...I think I was always turned off by the fans...but I guess I always liked their music. They have all the elements that I like in my music, and I guess I am a sucker for that country tinged rock, when it is done right. I saw the Dead live, once, at the Aud in 1981. It was the night before going to see the Stones at Rich Stadium. My best friend and I headed straight from the Aud to Rich, to camp out for the Stones. I also saw the Kinks that same week...good times. Ironically, I remember my buddy giving me sh-- for going to see all these old geezers...that was 27 years ago...and a lot of these guys (the living ones) are still cranking it out! That

My favorites:

"Shakedown Street" (just a cool sounding song)

"Ripple" (obvious I know)

"Tennessee Jed" (great lyrics...a buddy of mine recorded a cover of this, and it made me "hear" the song for the first time, even though I had listened to it a numerous times...)

That's hard to answer. It depends on what I'm doing while listening. If I'm playing drums, it's Franklin's Tower. If I'm hanging outside with a drink, it's US Blues. If I'm cruising up the Coast Hwy with the windows down, it's Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad. If I'm tripping on acid (which I haven't done in nearly 30 years) it's Blues for Allah.