Lee Evans locked up long-term

silvermike

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heard it at work, held that in all day. And for the people bitching about the money, you need to realize a few things.

1) He would have gotten just as much, if not more in FA.

2) I would gladly pay a little extra to a player who keeps his mouth shut, and comes into to work everyday without any drama.

3) Don't mention his numbers, look who has been playing along side of him. (Losman, Price, Fairchild)

4) After the next few WR's get signed (Boldin) this deal will look pretty good.

5) This also sends a message to the other players. Show up do your job, and you get payed (Evans). Hold out and act like an anus (Peters), and you won't see another dime.

I have a question for the folks that question this deal: if the team let Lee go after this season, what would you suggest as a replacement? It's generally agreed that a team needs a deep threat because opposing defenses will play to the advantage of a short field. There are no deep threats on this team other than Lee. The leaves either the draft or free agency for next year. I don't suppose you'll argue that a rookie is going to be an immediate deep threat, even if we draft in the top 5. For the free agent route, would we pay less than this deal for someone of comparable skills? I haven't looked at the potential free agents for next year, but it might be the case that top receiver just got taken off that list.

Roy Williams, and he's better suited to our offense. Lee is not suited for this offense. I could be wrong, but going deep for 2-4 receptions and 80 yards is not what we need from a #1. We need first downs, tough catches over the middle when we need them, and someone who is going to get 8 TDs a season. Williams will be cheap as he is over-shadowed by Calvin Johnson for the moment. Williams produces the same #s as Evans, is bigger, and is perfect for this offense. His lower numbers with the emergence of Johnson would make him around Berrian money with a bigger upside for the game plan we run.

It's early and I will give the offense more time, but this is not an Evans offense and he's not worth #1 money unless you are a homer at this point (maybe I'm wrong, but not right now). Lee is good, but not a top 15 WR. He's missing for big chunks of the game because he will only play as an outside receiver. I've never seen the guy go over the middle.

Like Lee Evans, great guy and all, but not worth this money whatsoever unless he becomes effective over the middle and makes himself a target to more than outside routes.

Yeah, he's good. But at that chunk of salcap, the question is "Is he great?"

He grabs fewer balls, scores fewer TD's and gains fewer yards than all those guys. And probably makes more money than any of them.

He's a great guy and a very good player, but 9 million dollars a year is an awful lot of money to give to a 190lb wr who catches 60 balls a year, has only hit 1,000 yards once and has never caught 10 TD's.

I'm glad he'll be around for a few but this signing is likely to cost us a good player or two down the road. Don't know whether it'll be worth it, particularly if it's a Stroud and/or a LWalker. :sick:

I agree with you.

I didn't want to see Evans walk next year and as long as the Bills aren't up against the cap, I guess I shouldn't care how much they pay him(He looks like a steal compared to the 7 mil they are paying Dockery).

That being said, I hope they plan on involving him a lot more than 3.5 catches a game that he has averaged so far.

For those who are whining about the money Lee is getting.......................is it coming out of your pocket? :lol:

Didn't think so...................STFU!

Actually, it probably is in a ticket raise next year.

Here is the deal. It was alot of money & Evans is not a top 5 receiver. He is not Fitzgerald, he is not TO, he is not Steve Smith & the fact is he probably never will be. I think he falls in that 2nd tier of #1 receivers. With that being said, this is a deal the bills had to get done. You want to take the next step you need to take care of your young good players. Evans is one of them. If the Bills lost Evans, their #1 priority in the offseason would of been searching for his replacement. It is a good deal for both sides & remember only 18 mill is guaranteed. Not only that, Evans is a true professional, he is not some prima donna wr that most of the big names are. He handled his contract situation with true class & integrity & should be a force on this team for years to come.

I like evans, but holy crap was this a stupid move. I would have waited and signed bolden in the offseason for the same money. Evans isnt even close to Anquan.

Again, I like evans, but he shouldnt get top 5 money. I can think of several receivers who i'd rather have/be willing to pay over evans:

1. Chad Johnson

2. TJ

3. TO

4. Randy Moss

5. Fitzgerald

6. Anquan bolden

7. Steve Smith

8. Jennings

9. Marquis Colston

10. Brandon Marshall (beast)

11. Burris

12. Braylan edwards

13. Santana Moss

14. Reggie Wayne

15. Andre Johnson

16. Bowe

17. Roy Williams

Evans is a #1, but not a top 5 #1. Frivilous spending. Is George Bush running the BILLS?

Isn't bolden locked up for 3 more years?

Yeah he got too much money from the Bills. But we don't need another position to have to fill. Still, on the open market in free agency, he would have gotten more. And if time teaches us anything in professional sports, what seems like too much money today is a bargain 1-2 years later. Look at the Sabres with Drury and Briere and how that played out

So I'm OK with signing him

and if any of you deluded dillweeds think Anquan Boldin wants to come to Buffalo even if he is a free agent please wake up and smell it. This guy will never leave the south. Roy Williams might if Buffalo made him the highest paid WR but will probably end up in Dallas. This was a great move for SOOOO many reasons.......

I was kinda trying to be funny, but for every joke there always is a little truth.

What I figured, actually.

I can see it, two years from now, people will be praising how great Evans has played, and how few issues he causes for a top flight WR..."and can you believe how reasonable his contract is?"

The Wall make me laugh, sometime.

and if any of you deluded dillweeds think Anquan Boldin wants to come to Buffalo even if he is a free agent please wake up and smell it. This guy will never leave the south. Roy Williams might if Buffalo made him the highest paid WR but will probably end up in Dallas. This was a great move for SOOOO many reasons.......

100% correct. Boldin will go to the Dolphins for a monster new contract. Roy Williams will go to the Cowboys for another one (5 years, $60 mil). Housh will sign a similar deal with the 49ers. And suddenly the Evans deal will look more reasonable...

I was all pumped to check out our salary cap stats and everything, so I went over to askthecommish.com, only to read this disappointing message board which insults our team for paying Evans, and insults Evans.

I can't believe this is the perception of Evans and the Bills around the league.

I was all pumped to check out our salary cap stats and everything, so I went over to askthecommish.com, only to read this disappointing message board which insults our team for paying Evans, and insults Evans.

I can't believe this is the perception of Evans and the Bills around the league.

I don't get it. There wasn't much of anything in that post.