Lee Evans locked up long-term

silvermike

What's that saying about you can't please all the people all the time? It is soooo true. Throughout the summer and training camp, we have to read post after post saying, pay the man, Ralph is cheap, the Bills are a farm team. Now, they pay the man and the other side chimes in - that's too much, he's not worth it, Ralph's overpaying. I really wish I had the time to research and track the posters to see who falls into which category.

There's only one thing to not like about this deal - it's only 4 years. I wonder if that was what was hanging it up? Either that or the last month convinced the FO to pay Lee the money he was asking for. Lee is a key to our offense. Lee is a top wide out. There's no one you're going to bring in or draft that will fill his shoes in the short term. Why worry about the money? It's not ours and we're not in salary cap trouble.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's that saying about you can't please all the people all the time? It is soooo true. Throughout the summer and training camp, we have to read post after post saying, pay the man, Ralph is cheap, the Bills are a farm team. Now, they pay the man and the other side chimes in - that's too much, he's not worth it, Ralph's overpaying. I really wish I had the time to research and track the posters to see who falls into which category.

There's only one thing to not like about this deal - it's only 4 years. I wonder if that was what was hanging it up? Either that or the last month convinced the FO to pay Lee the money he was asking for. Lee is a key to our offense. Lee is a top wide out. There's no one you're going to bring in or draft that will fill his shoes in the short term. Why worry about the money? It's not ours and we're not in salary cap trouble.

Remember the bashing on how much Walker and Dockery were paid? Does Walker look to be overpaid now?

Ralph is too cheap to get anyone good, and overpays!

Remember the bashing on how much Walker and Dockery were paid? Does Walker look to be overpaid now?

Ralph is too cheap to get anyone good, and overpays!

Yep, we're building a rather impressive list of overpaid players:

Walker

Dockery

Schobel

Kelsay

Reed (not so much overpaid as much as just being paid when he should be cut)

Evans

And one player that we should overpay:

Peters (of course, once he's paid, he'll become overpaid)

I just wish we could sign players that could win us some games.

Yep, we're building a rather impressive list of overpaid players:

Walker

Dockery

Schobel

Kelsay

Reed (not so much overpaid as much as just being paid when he should be cut)

Evans

And one player that we should overpay:

Peters (of course, once he's paid, he'll become overpaid)

I just wish we could sign players that could win us some games.

1st 4 games not good enough for you?

1st 4 games not good enough for you?

Nope. With all the money going to those overrated guys, we should have won at least 7 games by now. :lol:

(Of course, I'm being sarcastic. I donn't want to be accused of using Crayonzian logic.)

Hopefully the lord is listening so we won't end up with any more players like...............

Lee Evans!? :lol:

Do you honestly think Donahoe would have renegotiated his contract mid-season, making him one of the highest paid WRs in the NFL?

I highly doubt it, regardless of whether or not he drafted him.

I am guessing, but imo the 4 year deal was probably Evan's agent's idea. It makes sense, because 18 million is guaranteed, and if he stays healthy, another (larger) bonus is in order after the contract expires. At this time, Evans will only be 32.

Again, imo, this was perfect for both sides. If Lee would have had a career ending injury against the Cards he would have made 0 after this contract. Now, he has 18 mil guaranteed, a chance at an even bigger payday in 4 years, and the Bills kept a very important player for the immediate future. Even if they do let him go down the road, they have more than enough time to find his replacement, and are not forced to single out this particular position in the draft (see Clements).

As you can see, I am thrilled by this development. With a few more smart moves and some luck, our big day could be right around the corner. :lol:

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm very impressed that it's only 4 years... While he becomes the highest paid Bill's player in history by annual salary (including bonus), it isn't forever.

Sure, at 32 he'll be "young" when this contract expires... but not a spring chicken any longer and probably around his peak.

It's a win for both sides.

If Greer makes more plays like last week... he'll put himself in an unreachable position for the Bills imho this offseason. But, you never know. And, McKelvin will have a year of experience.

Some people are sick, and others (So-Called "Bills Fans") make me sick.

We are 4-0 and our offense has looked the best I have seen in a LONG time...and nobody wanted to pay Lee Evans for what he has earned and accomplished. All you critics are BRILLIANT...let 1 of our 2 offensive weapons walk, when we are building a GREAT team and trying to break in and mold a new FRANCHISE QB.

Greg Jennings? Dwayne Bowe? Marcus Colston? WOW!!! Greg Jennings has lined up opposite Donald Driver and has had Brett Favre slinging passes to him. Dwayne Bowe is on a team that has nothing but him, and he aint that good. Marcus Colston came outta nowhere, and is on an explosive offense with a SOLID QB. They are all taller than Evans too.

People need to get a grip and read up on some more football, cause ya obviously dont know much. You all wanna keep things the same way they have been...don't sign our CORE players entering their PRIME? That will help us win!

I WILL GUARANTEE THAT LEE EVANS HAS A HUGE GAME THIS SUNDAY...Showing he is worth the money he received.

*As a Bills fan, you are either on board with the team and the front office...or you dont deserve to call yourself a fan.

Some people are sick, and others (So-Called "Bills Fans") make me sick.

We are 4-0 and our offense has looked the best I have seen in a LONG time...and nobody wanted to pay Lee Evans for what he has earned and accomplished. All you critics are BRILLIANT...let 1 of our 2 offensive weapons walk, when we are building a GREAT team and trying to break in and mold a new FRANCHISE QB.

Greg Jennings? Dwayne Bowe? Marcus Colston? WOW!!! Greg Jennings has lined up opposite Donald Driver and has had Brett Favre slinging passes to him. Dwayne Bowe is on a team that has nothing but him, and he aint that good. Marcus Colston came outta nowhere, and is on an explosive offense with a SOLID QB. They are all taller than Evans too.

People need to get a grip and read up on some more football, cause ya obviously dont know much. You all wanna keep things the same way they have been...don't sign our CORE players entering their PRIME? That will help us win!

I WILL GUARANTEE THAT LEE EVANS HAS A HUGE GAME THIS SUNDAY...Showing he is worth the money he received.

*As a Bills fan, you are either on board with the team and the front office...or you dont deserve to call yourself a fan.

Tell me that when Stroud, Edwards, Greer, and Peters wants to get paid and we don't have the money.

On a side note, congrats to Lee Evans for being the first Bills 1st round draft pick to sign a 2nd contract with the team since Eric Moulds. :wallbash:

I'm not sure to cheer or jeer at that stat...

B.

Tell me that when Stroud, Edwards, Greer, and Peters wants to get paid and we don't have the money.

I doubt they resign Greer, but it won't have anything to do with the Evans contract.

This is what the salary cap era is all about and that whole parity thing. I honestly don't know our salary cap situation but I don't think that is to bad from what I remember. You can't be scared to pay top players good money. If you don't pay your top players and let them walk, then you do become a "farm team." This is part of changing the culture back to a winning culture. What happens with Edwards if Evans walks? Perhaps he gets frustrated, they can't get another wideout of his caliber in here, his performance suffers, and that frustration leads him to walk at the end of his contract anyway. If you can find another wideout of his caliber than it's all a moot point. I like the signing, I think it goes back to changing the culture and direction of the franchise.