Thoughts on James Hardy's play today.

clownments22

I was predicting a big day for James today. I thought he'd have 4 to 6 catches for 40-60 yards with at least one touchdown. He obviously was in the game plan, as we attempted to throw to him 4 times on the first two drives with zero success.

While all the balls that were thrown to him were not perfect strikes, I feel like all 4 of them were catchable balls, but he didn't come down with a single one of them. The coverage was good also, but I feel like he's got to come down with one of those balls. He was then abandoned for the rest of the day.

If he makes one of those big catches at the beginning of the game I feel like today's game is completely different. The bills get out to an early lead, and carry it all day long for an easy victory; or at least easier than it turned out to be.

What do you think, were they bad throws, or does James need to do something different to make a play in one of those spots?

An aside: I missed the first 3 or 4 minutes of the game because the bar wasn't on top of things, and I was wondering what happened at the very beginning of the game. We started watching a couple plays before we kicked the first FG. The reason I ask is because I was not anticipating the Bills receiving the ball to start the second half.

he played like a 1st year player still learning how to play in the NFL...

Yep. He'll go to practice this week, work with his position coaches, break down the film, and learn from today's struggles. Nothing more than growing pains for a youngster at a position where development is usually slow.

He should be cut now. Right?

yup...he can join Yobouty who the Bills should have cut or traded this offseason...err...wait a minute...who was that making big time tackle after big time tackle?? Wasn't that Yobouty?? Where did HE come from??

I have to admit I was disappointed. I guess I figured that a guy that put up the numbers that Hardy did in college would know how to use his body to screen the defender a little better...even at this early point in his pro career.

Reed and Parrish are nice slot guys but nothing more. The fact that we don't have a legit #2 receiver opposite Lee Evans is going to bite us in the a$$ soon. I'm surprised it hasn't yet. Outisde the TD catch against Jax, Hardy has shown absolutely nothing. I don't buy into the rookie WR excuse. Good players manifest themselves immediately, and we haven't heard a peep from Hardy with the season 1/4 over. Lord help us if Lee goes down. :rolleyes:

he played like a 1st year player still learning how to play in the NFL...

4 And 0 Baby!!!!!

Yep. He'll go to practice this week, work with his position coaches, break down the film, and learn from today's struggles. Nothing more than growing pains for a youngster at a position where development is usually slow.

hardy did make a td catch this season.... he missed a lot of catches today..... i think him and edwards needs more chemestry. We can't expect him to be a star in the begining. we can expect him to get better as time goes on. and just having him out there will draw coverage away from the rest of the WRs

EXCUSES EXCUSES EXCUSES :rolleyes:

EXCUSES EXCUSES EXCUSES :rolleyes:

they are not excuses for anything. hardy did play poorly today. but it can be fixed. he just needs to position himself better. And one of the throws thrown to him was throw too high for him to catch it. it was edward's fault. it is funny how people think that the transition from college to the nfl is easy and call someone a bust when they play less than 20 plays. have you ever played a day of football in your life?

Watching Hardy, I honestly feel that he is incredibly talented who just hasn't quite realized how to use his body to his benefit. True, some of those passes were off a bit, but a good WR can adjust and make the play.

Hardy is still very raw, but he is so talented and you can really see it. He just needs some polish. Once he learns to run crisp routes and proper body control/adjustment to passes he'll be a beast. It'll just take time. I have no doubt he'll get there.

they are not excuses for anything. hardy did play poorly today. but it can be fixed. he just needs to position himself better. And one of the throws thrown to him was throw too high for him to catch it. it was edward's fault. it is funny how people think that the transition from college to the nfl is easy and call someone a bust when they play less than 20 plays. have you ever played a day of football in your life?

I'm certainly not calling him a bust, and I didn't really think anyone else was. But is it so much to ask of him to catch one of those 4 balls? He's obviously capable of making those plays and the coaching staff and Trent had the faith in him to call the plays to him. I know he'll be fine, I just was disappointed today because I really thought it was his day and so did the staff.

If he makes a big play at the beginning of the game, we come out of that game feeling like it was a much more complete victory, because we wouldn't be sitting here saying... "If only we had played better in the first half" because that one play would have made it a good first half of football. That's the difference one play makes. Next week...

Watching Hardy, I honestly feel that he is incredibly talented who just hasn't quite realized how to use his body to his benefit. True, some of those passes were off a bit, but a good WR can adjust and make the play.

Hardy is still very raw, but he is so talented and you can really see it. He just needs some polish. Once he learns to run crisp routes and proper body control/adjustment to passes he'll be a beast. It'll just take time. I have no doubt he'll get there.

that is what i thought. if you look at his waste, he was twisting his body/neck and there is no way you are going to catch a ball like that, even if it is thrown perfectly to you.

But yes, Mr. Wonderful is right. good players are good in the begining. so lets cut youboty. he is good now, but he wasn't in the begining. dump that late bloomer now!

Right now, it's no biggie. I expect he will learn from these mistakes. But (and this isn't to excuse Hardy) the end zone pass wasn't thrown the way it should have been. It was very catchable, and Hardy should have used his body better to bring it in, but, Trent should have tossed that ball higher so that only Hardy could get a hand on it.

The WR coaches now have to get down to business with Mr. Hardy to teach him to be a legit WR in the NFL.

I figured that a guy that put up the numbers that Hardy did in college would know how to use his body to screen the defender a little better...

He knows how, it's just that now he's not playing against future insurance salesmen from Northwestern U. The talent is there, but he'll have to learn to play stronger and meaner against this caliber of opponent.

Right now, it's no biggie. I expect he will learn from these mistakes. But (and this isn't to excuse Hardy) the end zone pass wasn't thrown the way it should have been. It was very catchable, and Hardy should have used his body better to bring it in, but, Trent should have tossed that ball higher so that only Hardy could get a hand on it.

Yep, it should have been higher, while the first one was too high. The 2nd incompletion to Hardy looked like a miscommunication on the route.

Yep, it should have been higher, while the first one was too high. The 2nd incompletion to Hardy looked like a miscommunication on the route.

Here's another miscommunication: your brain to your fingertips. Obviously your post encountered a fatal error. If the ball hits you in the hands, you should catch it.

Reed and Parrish are nice slot guys but nothing more. The fact that we don't have a legit #2 receiver opposite Lee Evans is going to bite us in the a$$ soon. I'm surprised it hasn't yet. Outisde the TD catch against Jax, Hardy has shown absolutely nothing. I don't buy into the rookie WR excuse. Good players manifest themselves immediately, and we haven't heard a peep from Hardy with the season 1/4 over. Lord help us if Lee goes down. ;)

True that!

I'm sure it's that simple in your world.

Yes, I am a simple knave. I think that if you are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to catch an inflated pigskin, then perhaps, you should catch that inflated pigskin when it hits you in the hands.

I guess I'm old fashioned and simple that way.

I'm sure it's that simple in your world.

While it may have been a rude way to say it, he has a point. While not all balls that hit you in the hand should be caught per se, all balls that hit you in the hands could be caught, and I'm sure that any WR in the NFL would agree to that. I'm pretty sure all 4 of those balls hit Hardy in the hands today.

While it may have been a rude way to say it, he has a point. While not all balls that hit you in the hand should be caught per se, all balls that hit you in the hands could be caught, and I'm sure that any WR in the NFL would agree to that. I'm pretty sure all 4 of those balls hit Hardy in the hands today.

As Simon mentions, he didn't get his hands on the Z-out. The first pass was with him in full stretch and the ball glanced off his fingertips. And on the fade, the defender played it perfectly because the pass wasn't high enough. The point being, Trent and James need to work together more. Trent already seems to be in-synch with Lee and Josh, and without Roscoe for another 4-6 weeks, James is the man.

As Simon mentions, he didn't get his hands on the Z-out. The first pass was with him in full stretch and the ball glanced off his fingertips. And on the fade, the defender played it perfectly because the pass wasn't high enough. The point being, Trent and James need to work together more. Trent already seems to be in-synch with Lee and Josh, and without Roscoe for another 4-6 weeks, James is the man.

Great post. Your memory is better than mine. I know James is going to be great, I'm just lamenting over what could have been huge for him and for our team.

Guy is retarted... hopefully he catches on soon, its his job. All 5 balls were catchable for sure.

I'd say, actually, two of them were arguably "catchable," in that it was likely all Hardy's fault for not bringing the ball in. One of these was a bit over thrown by Trent and would have required a very good effort to bring in the ball. The two down the field throws that were to Hardy, one was thrown way out of bounds and he had no chance at, and on the other, he might have been able to catch the ball had #22 not been grabbing his arm and yanking on his jersey. Sorry, but to say that all of them were catchable is a bit of a stretch.

As for it "being his job," that is a true statement, sure enough. But the problem is, one of the hardest transitions to make is from WR in college to WR in the NFL. The schemes and routes are different and the plays and timing are much faster. It takes every receiver at least a season to get acclimated. For proof, check out the first year stats of Andre Reed, Lee Evans, Josh Reed, and then look at them for most of the better guys who have played in this league. The majority of them have poor first and mediocre second season stats. Not all, but most. Hardy will get better as he sees more playing time and more passes thrown his way. More importantly, he will improve with more practice.

Reed and Parrish are nice slot guys but nothing more. The fact that we don't have a legit #2 receiver opposite Lee Evans is going to bite us in the a$$ soon. I'm surprised it hasn't yet. Outisde the TD catch against Jax, Hardy has shown absolutely nothing. I don't buy into the rookie WR excuse. Good players manifest themselves immediately, and we haven't heard a peep from Hardy with the season 1/4 over. Lord help us if Lee goes down. ;)

I think that Trent probably shouldn't have trown that TD pass to him in Jax, because he's not a good player who can't manifest himself immediately. I agree. He should be cut now or have his game check taken away.

Sorry excuse for a player.