Oregon State Beats USC!

The Dean

Great quote by the Oregon St. RB Rodgers (rushed for 185 and 2 TDs) -- when asked why the USC defenders couldn't get their hands on him, he said "I was behind a lineman...I'm a little dude, and they couldn't find me."

Hilarious.

Great quote by the Oregon St. RB Rodgers (rushed for 185 and 2 TDs) -- when asked why the USC defenders couldn't get their hands on him, he said "I was behind a lineman...I'm a little dude, and they couldn't find me."

Hilarious.

Crazy performance by that kid. I can't remember the last time a saw a guy weave in and out of holes like that! Awesome game.

Ha. You forget about the BCS. If they can find a way to get USC back up to 1, they will.

What a huge upset that was. Goes to show, " That's why they play the game. " The pac 10 is down this year, so a conference loss will make it very tough for USC to be considered for the BCS championship. There is a long way to go though. Alabama-Georgia should be a great game to watch on Saturday.

What a huge upset that was. Goes to show, " That's why they play the game. " The pac 10 is down this year, so a conference loss will make it extremely unlikely for USC to be considered for the BCS championship. There is a long way to go though. Alabama-Georgia should be a great game to watch on Saturday.

Fixed. There are too many good teams in the SEC and Big 12 (not to mention Penn State and Wisconsin in the Big 10). Folks were already worried about the possibility of 3 or 4 undefeated teams at the end of the season.

Color the Trojans done. Which is nice, because I'm getting tired of Pete Carroll's mug.

was lucky enough to watch the gae from the beginning. the Rodgers brothers killed USC, as well as the quick release QB, and I've never seen a defense play that far out of their helmets. Their intensity level was ridiculous. Oregon St definitely was the better team tonight, they wanted it more.

was lucky enough to watch the gae from the beginning. the Rodgers brothers killed USC, as well as the quick release QB, and I've never seen a defense play that far out of their helmets. Their intensity level was ridiculous. Oregon St definitely was the better team tonight, they wanted it more.

What is so unbelievable is that Oregon State has looked horrible for most of the season. They could not get out of their own way against Penn St(who I do not think is that good) & they got beat by a sub standard Stanford team. They looked pretty good against UH last week at home. Just goes to show you, every road game is a tough game.

I would like to say this to all you Penn St. Paterno should be ashamed of himself for the schedule he plays. It is not even the pushovers he schedules every year. I mean when the Oregon State game was scheduled he probably did think that would be a top 20 team. Would it kill the guy to play an early season out of conference game against a halfway decent opponent on the road? Why does he always have to play his early season OOC games in Happy Valley. My friend at work went to Pitt & hates Paterno more then anything. Now this is what he tells me so do not shoot the messenger. He says once Pitt started beating Penn St on a semi regular basis Paterno told Pitt that if they want to continue the series it needs to be a 2 for 1 format where Pitt has to play in Happy Valley twice for everytime Penn ST plays at Pitt. What kind of crap is that. Your going to tell one of your oldest rivals they need to do that. I heard he tried pulling the same crap with Alabama too. Your going to tell a school as prestigious as Alabama something like that???? They probably laughed in the old man's face. & Before you say they played SU at the dome last week, I am a disgraced alumni from SU, they are not a div 1 football team this year.

I hope Penn St gets their clocks cleaned saturday night against Illinois.

What is so unbelievable is that Oregon State has looked horrible for most of the season. They could not get out of their own way against Penn St(who I do not think is that good) & they got beat by a sub standard Stanford team. They looked pretty good against UH last week at home. Just goes to show you, every road game is a tough game.

I would like to say this to all you Penn St. Paterno should be ashamed of himself for the schedule he plays. It is not even the pushovers he schedules every year. I mean when the Oregon State game was scheduled he probably did think that would be a top 20 team. Would it kill the guy to play an early season out of conference game against a halfway decent opponent on the road? Why does he always have to play his early season OOC games in Happy Valley. My friend at work went to Pitt & hates Paterno more then anything. Now this is what he tells me so do not shoot the messenger. He says once Pitt started beating Penn St on a semi regular basis Paterno told Pitt that if they want to continue the series it needs to be a 2 for 1 format where Pitt has to play in Happy Valley twice for everytime Penn ST plays at Pitt. What kind of crap is that. Your going to tell one of your oldest rivals they need to do that. I heard he tried pulling the same crap with Alabama too. Your going to tell a school as prestigious as Alabama something like that???? They probably laughed in the old man's face. & Before you say they played SU at the dome last week, I am a disgraced alumni from SU, they are not a div 1 football team this year.

a lot of teams do that, especially in the Big 10 it seems (see Ohio St. and Michigan)

basically, what it comes down to is: SEC >>> the world

Oregon St. is a house of horrors for USC.

In 2004, when USC went undefeated and romped Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl, they ALMOST lost to Oregon St. in a misty, foggy game up there. I believe Leinart threw a late TD pass to win a close one. In 2006, USC got down 33-10, battled back furiously, but had a 2-pt conversion go incomplete at the buzzer to lose 33-31. And then yesterday, getting down 21-0 at half, they just couldn't put it together after they finally woke up at halftime. USC had an INT go right thru their hands in the end zone and caught by an OSU receiver on the final play of the 1st half...If it was only 14-0, USC may have been able to feel lucky and come out firing in the 2nd half. Not so. Like somebody mentioned, OSU was better last night and wanted it more.

a lot of teams do that, especially in the Big 10 it seems (see Ohio St. and Michigan)

Not true, Ohio State has played in recent years @ Washington, @ Texas & at USC. Michigan has had home & home series with Notre Dame & a while ago Colorado. Illinois has played Missouri home & home & Wisconsin recently just went out to Fresno State.

If the National Championship Game was played somewhere in the North, on occasion, I think it might be a different story.

But, as it is, since 2000 a non SEC team has won the National Championship more than 50% of the time. So "the world" always seems to have a fighting chance.

Based on size, it looked like USC was playing a Pop Warner club. But, that seemed to help, in a way. Watching the USC D trying to catch Jaq Rogers was like watching a big buy trying to catch a mouse.

The score was close, the game was not. OSU DESTROYED USC!

What a game. I guess we know who won't be the #1 team in the nation, this year.

Didn't turn it on until half time. Saw the score and said, "oh well 21-0 USC", nothing to see here. Took a few minutes for it to register it was the Beavers with the lead. Once I saw that, I had to check out the second half. USC will drop and most likely not see #1 again. The Pac 10 is perceived to be weak this year, so an in-conference loss kills them. I don't watch enough Pac 10 football to agree or disagree with the perceived conference weakness, but I hear it on all the sports talk shows.

I flew to LAX yesterday; turned on the radio in the rental car to hear the local ESPN station performing an all-day hummer on USC. The 'experts' all predicted this would be a very one sided game; they all agreed that OSU would be lucky to score 10 points while SC cruised with their usual 30 to 40.

Imagine my delight when we got home from dinner last night and I turned on the game at the end of the 3Q. Great finish, great job by OSU. Nothing better in college football than watching Pete Carroll lose.

USC will drop and most likely not see #1 again.

Possibly true. However, last year's national champion had two losses.

They always say it's better to lose early rather than later....But the problem with the down PAC 10 this year isn't necessarily the loss....It's the fact that there isn't a Cal or Oregon or ASU who will be ranked in the top-10, that USC could blow out and have a chance to win some voters back. All of USC's remaining games are PAC 10 or Notre Dame. Not much there.

It's also a damaging loss for Ohio St.

We'll see what happens. Last season my have been an aberration, with the top-5 in constant flux...Or it could be the new norm in college football...Any given Saturday....

Possibly true. However, last year's national champion had two losses.

They always say it's better to lose early rather than later....But the problem with the down PAC 10 this year isn't necessarily the loss....It's the fact that there isn't a Cal or Oregon or ASU who will be ranked in the top-10, that USC could blow out and have a chance to win some voters back. All of USC's remaining games are PAC 10 or Notre Dame. Not much there.

It's also a damaging loss for Ohio St.

We'll see what happens. Last season my have been an aberration, with the top-5 in constant flux...Or it could be the new norm in college football...Any given Saturday....

The only 2 loss team that has any chance of playing in the NC is a SEC team. MY opinion is USC is done. Like you indicated, down year for the Pac 10, no marquee matchups left on the schedule. As far as Ohio St goes there is noway the BCS System is voting Ohio St in to get humiliated in the National Championship again. The BCS would rather see BYU or Utah before Ohio St gets another chance.

The only 2 loss team that has any chance of playing in the NC is a SEC team. MY opinion is USC is done. Like you indicated, down year for the Pac 10, no marquee matchups left on the schedule. As far as Ohio St goes there is noway the BCS System is voting Ohio St in to get humiliated in the National Championship again. The BCS would rather see BYU or Utah before Ohio St gets another chance.

I wouldnt be shocked to see Ohio St. in it again. Sure, if theres a smattering of 1 loss teams, then Ohio St would probably be out. But, if a situation like last year arises where Ohio St runs the table and only has 1 loss, you CANNOT put a 2 loss SEC team in the championship over a 1 loss Ohio St.

I wouldnt be shocked to see Ohio St. in it again. Sure, if theres a smattering of 1 loss teams, then Ohio St would probably be out. But, if a situation like last year arises where Ohio St runs the table and only has 1 loss, you CANNOT put a 2 loss SEC team in the championship over a 1 loss Ohio St.

Please do not say that. I do not want to see Ohio St anywhere near the NC this year. But you do make a good point, Ohio St has some marquee matchups left with playing Penn ST & Wisky, assuming both of them remain undefeated at a time when they play OSU, they will certainly be top 10. Win those & we see the chaos that happened last year & I guess you never know.

You're dead to me :lol:

Please do not say that. I do not want to see Ohio St anywhere near the NC this year. But you do make a good point, Ohio St has some marquee matchups left with playing Penn ST & Wisky, assuming both of them remain undefeated at a time when they play OSU, they will certainly be top 10. Win those & we see the chaos that happened last year & I guess you never know.

I don't care it happens, but given the current system, NO 2 loss team should be in the title game ahead of a 1 loss team from a BCS conference. If the BCS were ever to do that, then simply do away with the entire system and let the coaches/AP randomly pick their "favorites" to play for the "title."

First time a beaver was ever hard on a trojan

The original ESPN.com hed: Beavers Trap Trojans.

Obviously, it was quickly changed.

Nice anti-PSU rant, Gordio, but relying on a Pitt fan for information about the program is like asking a Yankees fan to tell you about the Red Sox. Penn State plays most of their OOC games at home because the football program props up the entire athletic department, and they need at LEAST seven home games every year to make up for all those empty seats at the basketball games. Big 10 only gives them four, so when they were still playing an eleven-game schedule, almost all of the non-con games were guaranteed to be at home. I will note that since the turn of the century, PSU has played ranked non-conference opponents USC (at a neutral site), Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Miami (all on the road). They go to Alabama in 2010, and they also have another home-and-home lined up with the Huskers.

And if Pitt and Syracuse wanted to continue the home-and-home football series with PSU, I guess they shouldn't have screwed them over vis-a-vis the Big East back in 1983.

Yeah, it's because Pitt started beating Penn State. :lol:

Fact is, Penn State has won six of the last seven games in the series. And it would take a hell of a lot of two-for-ones to equal the number of games played in Pittsburgh, since Penn State had exactly SEVEN home games in the series between 1903 and 1969. Indeed, it never became a true home-and-home until after Paterno took over.

What will be interesting to watch is to see how far USC falls in the polls. Ohio St. got killed in the polls after losing to #1 USC. USC should easily drop into the teens, but smart knowledge and pro-USC bias says that they'll drop no further than 7 or 8.

What will be interesting to watch is to see how far USC falls in the polls. Ohio St. got killed in the polls after losing to #1 USC. USC should easily drop into the teens, but smart knowledge and pro-USC bias says that they'll drop no further than 7 or 8.

Kind of like the treatment your team used to get from the pollsters?

Let me preface by saying I am a Maryland alumni and ACC fan, and not a Pete Carroll guy.

I think somewhere 8-12 would be about right. That's still an NFL defense they have. Oregon St deserves some credit for the scheme they put together. They had a great gameplan, executed to perfection in the first half, and didn't fold up under pressure in the second half.

Regarding the pro-USC bias- Is it wrong? Is it wrong to chalk it up to an "off day" and still rate them highly? The team has won 11+ games every year since 2002, won a BCS national championship and two AP national championships, and has gone 5-1 in BCS bowl games since 2002, losing only once by 3 points to undefeated Texas. Besides the BCS bowl games, they have trounced their regular season non-conference competition, beating the likes of Auburn, Arkansas, Virginia Tech, Nebraska, BYU, Colorado, Ohio St, and Notre Dame since 2002. They have played all of those teams, on the road on campus, and brought it. Only the VT game was a neutral site, and that was still cross country in Virginia, at FedEx Field.

Is there another program who could lose 10 starters to the NFL last year (including seven picked in rounds 1 and 2) and still field a championship-caliber team?

I don't disagree with you that USC should fall out of the top-10, especially with the trouble Oregon St has had this season. But chalking up USC's rankings to media bias just seems ridiculous. At some point, they get the benefit of the doubt for their performances under Pete Carroll.

Ohio State fell so far in the polls because everyone is tired of watching them lay an egg on the biggest stage. Not only do they lose, they get creamed. USC shows up at their best in big games, but every year they have trouble in at least one conference game that they are favored to win by 4 TDs.

Can't they just decide now that the national championship game is the SEC Championship game?

Oklahoma and Mizz both can both beat anyone in the SEC. Certainly wouldn't blow them out or anything, but they would be good games. I don't quite put Texas on the same level, but they are good enough that it certainly wouldn't be an upset if they beat any of those teams.

It's a two conference battle this year, unless Penn St. can prove to be as good as they are pretending to be so far (sorry guys, but you can't get excited over big wins when they come against such horrible competition. No, not bad....HORRIBLE). While Ill. isn't a top team, this will at least be a good test for them. If they can look close to the same team this week, you have to add them to the race.

And then you have the BCS. All of these Big 12 and SEC schools will be playing each other. Chances are not good that we will see two undefeated teams by the end of the season. And while USC has a much weaker schedule than any team in the other two divisions, they will almost always be the top 1 loss team. Just how the system works.

The original ESPN.com hed: Beavers Trap Trojans.

Obviously, it was quickly changed.

Nice anti-PSU rant, Gordio, but relying on a Pitt fan for information about the program is like asking a Yankees fan to tell you about the Red Sox. Penn State plays most of their OOC games at home because the football program props up the entire athletic department, and they need at LEAST seven home games every year to make up for all those empty seats at the basketball games. Big 10 only gives them four, so when they were still playing an eleven-game schedule, almost all of the non-con games were guaranteed to be at home. I will note that since the turn of the century, PSU has played ranked non-conference opponents USC (at a neutral site), Notre Dame, Nebraska, and Miami (all on the road). They go to Alabama in 2010, and they also have another home-and-home lined up with the Huskers.

And if Pitt and Syracuse wanted to continue the home-and-home football series with PSU, I guess they shouldn't have screwed them over vis-a-vis the Big East back in 1983.

Yeah, it's because Pitt started beating Penn State. :lol:

Fact is, Penn State has won six of the last seven games in the series. And it would take a hell of a lot of two-for-ones to equal the number of games played in Pittsburgh, since Penn State had exactly SEVEN home games in the series between 1903 and 1969. Indeed, it never became a true home-and-home until after Paterno took over.

Like I said, do not shoot the messenger. He did also say that Jo Pa is one of the most if not the most hated sports figure in the city of Pittsburgh, which I kinda was surprised by that.

Your budget thing holds no water though. Every big time school faces this dillemma. Do they schedule that 7th home game or do they actually go challenge themselves & play someone decent on the road & lose some revenue. We all know how Jo Pa likes to do things.

Anyways, I really do not hate Penn State but I will say this, if they are lucky enough to run the table this year & find themselves playing USC in the Rose Bowl instead of the NC because of their schedule, I do not want to hear Penn State fans crying saying we got robbed. Maybe they should of thought about that before they scheduled Coastal Carolina opening weekend.

Oklahoma and Mizz both can both beat anyone in the SEC. Certainly wouldn't blow them out or anything, but they would be good games. I don't quite put Texas on the same level, but they are good enough that it certainly wouldn't be an upset if they beat any of those teams.

It's a two conference battle this year, unless Penn St. can prove to be as good as they are pretending to be so far (sorry guys, but you can't get excited over big wins when they come against such horrible competition. No, not bad....HORRIBLE). While Ill. isn't a top team, this will at least be a good test for them. If they can look close to the same team this week, you have to add them to the race.

And then you have the BCS. All of these Big 12 and SEC schools will be playing each other. Chances are not good that we will see two undefeated teams by the end of the season. And while USC has a much weaker schedule than any team in the other two divisions, they will almost always be the top 1 loss team. Just how the system works.

You callin' Oregon State horrible when PSU pounds them, then celebrating their win over No. 1?

But yeah, Coastal Carolina, Cuse, and Temple aren't exactly Meeechigan, Wisky, and tOSU.

(Well, let me rethink that Michigan part. Of course, until PSU actually beats them sometime this century, I'm not exactly in a position to lay down any smack about their current struggles ...)

And while USC has a much weaker schedule than any team in the other two divisions, they will almost always be the top 1 loss team. Just how the system works.

It is how the system works, but it was also decided on the field...USC beating Ohio St. will allow them to lay claim to that spot. That's why that was such a big game.

The problem with the system is that OU and Mizzou could both play as undefeateds for the Big 12 crown, with the loser left out of the national title picture. Depending on what happens in the SEC title game, USC could slide into the BCS championship as #2, because they lost their game in September, even though Oregon State might not be a .500 team by the end. That would be a raw deal for an 11-1 OU/Mizzou team.

However, that said, two years ago #1 Ohio St beat #2 Michigan in a close game in the last game of the season, and some were squawking about a rematch for the BCS title. Both proceded to get SLAMMED (OSU by FL, UM by USC) in their BCS games.

It's a crazy setup. Where's Jim Mora when you need him? PLAYOFFS???