A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

1) There are not enough good things to say about Marcus Stroud. He goes all out on every play and even chases plays downfield. He fires up his teammates and the crowd. He is always pushing the pocket and occupying blockers, yet he still makes tackles. LT? Sure, but there are few other examples that come to mind in terms of one player changing an entire defense so much. This in itself is scary, but I am going to enjoy the ride.

2) We need more production from our DEs, especially Schobel.

3) Poz spends a ton of time in pass coverage. This is a great example of how numbers never tell the entire story. The pass that he broke up while fully extended was a pivotal play. This is a very exciting player who might wind up scary good if he stays healthy.

4) People, Butler, had a brutal game, his second in a row. This has got to stop, and quite frankly I don't know what the problem is.

5) The crowd was fabulous. There were several times when Russell appeared to have problems with the noise.

6) As I said last week, I really do believe that Trent has a particularly good chemistry with Josh Reed. Perhaps they worked together a lot when Trent was the 2nd stringer. Not sure why, but he can find this guy and place the ball in the exact spot he needs to for Josh to make the play. Josh is small, so I don't imagine this is so easy to do.

7) OK.....Trent? The kid is amazing. That's right, flat out amazing! Those who wish to should certainly go ahead and pick apart every little thing he does wrong, but he is a winner. Period. His brain gives him a huge edge, but it isn't all about intellect. He is crafty. He throws tight spirals that die in our receivers hands making his passes easy to catch. He doesn't rattle, and has a perfect, winning attitude. As a good friend said at the game, he has a chance to be something VERY special. That is what sets him apart. He will have bad games. I know this because they all do. At this point, I am so pumped and elated that it is hard for me to visualize this happening. :w00t:

8) RWS was going fully beserk after the kick. When I calmed myself down to be more of an observer than a participant in the madness, it struck me just how much WNY deserved that game and a winning team.

9) I am not going to embarrass people and name names, but thanks to those at Lot 1/Pole 5 for the fun, friendship, hospitality, and yes.....teaching me yet more about NFL Football. I am already planting "playoff seeds" in terms of getting permission from my wife to come back up there. I suppose I should be more macho and just insist, right? Or, maybe not. :w00t:

10) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4) People, Butler, had a brutal game, his second in a row. This has got to stop, and quite frankly I don't know what the problem is.

Yes, I mentioned this last week but couldn't get traction around here. I'm very concerned about his play, and we just signed him to an extension. There is no reason for a guy that strong to get bullied around so much. Granted, we just played 3 good front-fours, but considering we play NE twice a year, we should be designing our line accordingly. Again, I'm concerned.

I didn't notice Butler too much, he had a great pull on the 2nd Lynch touchdown. The Raiders line generally was bullying us through most of the first three quarters. Tommy Kelly is a tough player. Surprised you didn't mention Peters' struggles. He truly had a brutal game. Chambers came in for him for a series after he gave up the sack/fumble.

I didn't notice Butler too much, he had a great pull on the 2nd Lynch touchdown. The Raiders line generally was bullying us through most of the first three quarters. Tommy Kelly is a tough player. Surprised you didn't mention Peters' struggles. He truly had a brutal game. Chambers came in for him for a series after he gave up the sack/fumble.

FWIW, I heard Joe Delamaliure (sp?) on WGR this morning who believed that Butler's problem was a "scheme" issue. He felt the particular job he was supposed to do (i.e. step back and then power-block out) was not in the best interest of the play. At least that's what I heard him say. Joe D also agrees that JP is very rusty (no kidding!). They did better in the second half after adjusting, though, which is all that matters. Maybe they can adjust sooner?

Surprised you didn't mention Peters' struggles. He truly had a brutal game. Chambers came in for him for a series after he gave up the sack/fumble.

He did struggle, and I agree with the other poster who said he is "rusty." He had a few awesome blocks on running plays, and I am sure he will come around very soon.

What does Reed's size have anything to do with his ability for the QB to find him? Seems to me the coaching staff is putting him into situations where he can succeed. Being tall or "big" has nothing to do with a WRs ability to get open or the QB's ability to find him on the field. Trent can find him because Reed is a heady player who knows where he needs to go to get open and/or in the QBs vision.

I'd be interested to hear your take on the Whitner tackle of Higgins...I"m glad he did that because it wasnt a cheap shot and i like the message it sent that this team will not put up with any bull sh-- in our house. Thusfar, he and stroud are the heart of this very good defense.

Trent played a garbage 1st 3 quarters but stepped it up in the 4th in crunch time. He simply knows when he needs to get it done and goes out and does it, which is something this franchise has been sorely lacking. In only 12 starts, he's brought us from behind in the 4th 4 times already. That is something you simply cannot teach. He played his nuts off in the 4th yesterday and pretty much took over the game.

I'd be interested to hear your take on the Whitner tackle of Higgins...I"m glad he did that because it wasnt a cheap shot and i like the message it sent that this team will not put up with any bull sh-- in our house. Thusfar, he and stroud are the heart of this very good defense.

I liked the message, but I cannot condone an intentional penalty. If you want to classify Stroud and Whitner as the "heart of our defense," I think you are mistaken to omit Poz. The unit is playing without Crowell, and Poz has huge responsibilities. He is a very hard hitter, and is way more agile than I thought he was. It's all good.

1) There are not enough good things to say about Marcus Stroud. He goes all out on every play and even chases plays downfield. He fires up his teammates and the crowd. He is always pushing the pocket and occupying blockers, yet he still makes tackles. LT? Sure, but there are few other examples that come to mind in terms of one player changing an entire defense so much. This in itself is scary, but I am going to enjoy the ride.

Stroud is having such a huge impact not only because he is playing his heart out, but because he fits the scheme perfectly. His build and strengths are made for the Bills defensive line scheme. Great, isn't it?

It sure does seem that way, at least on the pass rush side of things (I'm pretty impressed with their run-stopping). I'd be interested in finding some stats online for QB Pressures, but I don't know of any site that has it. Do you know of one Bill? Perhaps Lori can help...

I've been marching to the beat of the "replace Butler" drum for a while now, although not many people agreed with me last year. I hope I'm wrong and he'll turn it around, but we could sure use an upgrade there.

5) The crowd was fabulous. There were several times when Russell appeared to have problems with the noise.

Was hard to hear over the idiots in our sports bar yelling "RAIIIIIIIIIDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRSSSSSSSSS" the whole game, but trust me, we got em back at the end. :w00t:

6) As I said last week, I really do believe that Trent has a particularly good chemistry with Josh Reed. Perhaps they worked together a lot when Trent was the 2nd stringer. Not sure why, but he can find this guy and place the ball in the exact spot he needs to for Josh to make the play. Josh is small, so I don't imagine this is so easy to do.

You're seeing such an improvement in Josh Reed because one of Trent's strengths is finding receivers in the short-middle part of the field. Reed has generally been good at finding soft spots in zones, and we have a QB that can actually find him now.

7) OK.....Trent? The kid is amazing. That's right, flat out amazing! Those who wish to should certainly go ahead and pick apart every little thing he does wrong, but he is a winner. Period. His brain gives him a huge edge, but it isn't all about intellect. He is crafty. He throws tight spirals that die in our receivers hands making his passes easy to catch. He doesn't rattle, and has a perfect, winning attitude. As a good friend said at the game, he has a chance to be something VERY special. That is what sets him apart. He will have bad games. I know this because they all do. At this point, I am so pumped and elated that it is hard for me to visualize this happening. :w00t:

Unbridled enthusiasm, eh Bill? I agree, Trent should be given a ton of credit for winning that game, being a leader on the bench, and willing them to victory. Been a long time since we've had that kind of leader on offense.

That being said, I've noticed something with Trent that makes me a bit anxious: He seems to lock onto receivers (or at least sides of the field) at times. I've noticed it in each game so far this year - and it's caused him to miss some open throws. However, if this is his biggest weakness and he continues to not turn the ball over, I'll be very happy to live with it. :w00t:

Some of my other thoughts on the game:

- I'm still not sold on Ko Simpson, and getting beat on that 4th quarter touchdown didn't help his cause.

- While Dick Jauron continues to make some coaching errors, his management style and motivational skills more than make up for it. The one problem with it? He seems to be a delegator, so he's heavily dependent on everyone else. Right now, it seems as though we have a solid staff other than Jauron, but if one of the coordinators gets replaced by another Fairchild, we could be in trouble. Luckily, that shouldn't happen any time soon.

- Someone needs to see if the ballboy was playing a trick, greasing all the footballs.

- Lynch isn't the fastest back in the league, isn't the the shiftest, isn't the toughest, but he's damn good at everything, and continues to impress me with his balance and leg drive. Is there a back in the league better at picking up the extra yards?

- After playing two solid games, Mitchell had some bad moments this past week. Here's to hoping it's just a fluke.

- I saw a few good plays by Spencer Johnson, who is quietly showing why he was a pretty good pickup. I recall a play or two when he ended up running across the field to make a tackle on a RB.

- McKelvin hasn't been a great kick returner so far, it seems like he's missing holes and running into defenders.

- I think we miss some of our kick coverage people from last year.

- Way to blow the fake FG play on a time when the defense was expecting you to go for it anyway.

- I never expected to be going "wow" at some of the tackles Youboty has made this year. Glad to see the kid turning it around.

He did struggle, and I agree with the other poster who said he is "rusty." He had a few awesome blocks on running plays, and I am sure he will come around very soon.

That's what's killing me. He has been pulverizing people, especially sealing the edge for Lynch, but his mistakes are costly. I hope he's taking his poor play to heart, knowing he has to play even harder after that idiotic holdout. I'd like to see a week without a blindside sack for a fumble.

Regarding Trent, what can you say? The kid is THAT good. The Int wasn't even his but whatever. He's got three 200 yard games in a row. JP did that in the last 3 games of 2006 (and 1 was 200 on the button). Bledsoe was the last guy to do that (in 2005, he had something like 6 200+ yard games in a row) before Losman. Three 200 yard games doesn't sound like much but considering the last two years of QB drought, it's an oasis.

Surprised you didn't mention Peters' struggles. He truly had a brutal game. Chambers came in for him for a series after he gave up the sack/fumble.

He's his biggest cheerleader....tough for the guy to call it like it is on that one. I have to watch the game a second time, but on first viewing, it looked like Peters was awful in pass protection.

I have to watch the game a second time, but on first viewing, it looked like Peters was awful in pass protection.

Whoever the guy Peters was up against, he made him look like Bruce Smith is his prime. Consistently beat Peters with upfield speed rushes

The offense gets a lot of credit for pulling it out at the end, but what impressed me almost as much was the defense. The last two raider posessions, if this was last year they would have run out the clock by getting 4-5 yards per carry. This year Stroud, Williams, and company held 4 run plays to about 1 total yard, causing a punt or a slant pass, that allowed us to get the ball back quickly.

But Butler cosistently grades out highest out out everybody on the line......

You can mock him all you want with inane comments but the FACT is that he may well have graded out as well or better than anybody else last year, regardless of how snarky you are.

He's struggled quite a bit this year and nobody else has claimed otherwise, so your sarcasm is empty and pointless.

- Way to blow the fake FG play on a time when the defense was expecting you to go for it anyway.

I'll bet my house they weren't running a fake. At the time I just thought they were trying to get the Raiders to burn one of their time-outs to make things harder on their offense in case the Bills didn't convert. It was a sound strategy but the Raiders were smart enough to keep their D unit on the field as it was obvious that going for it was the right move.

I was disappointed that our front four by themselves wasn't generating much pressure - at least for the first part of the game

3) Poz spends a ton of time in pass coverage. This is a great example of how numbers never tell the entire story. The pass that he broke up while fully extended was a pivotal play. This is a very exciting player who might wind up scary good if he stays healthy.

I'm definitely in the minority, but I think Poz still has a lot of work to do on his game. He still seems to get out of position and got pushed right out of the way on some of those gashes up the middle. I don't know what it is - something weird about maybe I am just watching him on his worst plays - but on multiple occasions I've also seen him seem to just give up on plays - almost start jogging - if they get by him - I guess maybe that's one of those things that comes with experience

I thought the crowd was great - given the crappiness of the first 3 quarters - but I'm surprised some people are calling it the loudest crowd they ever heard. To me it was one of those games where the crowd was dying to be able to blow up and go crazy cheering for something positive, but the play on the field wasn't really helping. At one point in the 3rd I actually apologized to my daughter (first game) for the game she was seeing and that the crowd was usually more crazy. Again - the crowd was great and very loud/crazy when the Bills gave us something to cheer about - but I definitely wouldn't count that as overall one of the loudest games I've seen.

It was fun taking the walk into the stadium with my daughter (10 yrs old). My son (also 10) has gone for the last few years so knew what to expect , but my daughter's previous NFL game experience was seeing a pre-season Bills/Panthers game in Charlotte a couple years ago. I told her this was going to be very different - but not sure she realized how different. As we walked in through the parking lots and tailgates her eyes were the size of quarters. At one point after experiencing the 'atmosphere' for a few minutes I let her know "You're going to hear the F word a lot" and she just looked at me and kind of smiled like "Yeah - no kidding Dad". Our experience was pretty good this game as far as drunks went - mostly just enthusiastic people - no real completely out of control obscene idiots. Saw no fights on the way out either. Oakland fans in our section were mostly respectful (as were Bills fans).

Oh - and special idiot props to the moron in 309 who was trying to *start the wave* (which is bad enough) *when the Bills had the ball* and trying to drive for a comeback in the 4th quarter :w00t:

Reed had a great game - but I'm not sure it is possible for a WR to look slower than Reed appeared to be on the overthrow down the sideline - like he was running in wet sand or something :lol:

8) RWS was going fully beserk after the kick. When I calmed myself down to be more of an observer than a participant in the madness, it struck me just how much WNY deserved that game and a winning team.

It took me a while to comprehend that we actually won. Is there anything better than the bedlam in those situations where you turn around and start high fiving and slapping/hugging complete strangers like they are your best friends in the whole world :w00t:

Other thoughts

- When Ellison went out with a stinger I noticed they went right to the nickel with Youboty - and he was playing up near the line almost like a LB looking like he just wanted to attack someone - and then I think he did :w00t:

- It was one of those games where it got to the point that everytime a receiver caught the ball I was just praying that they wouldn't fumble - all I could think was "Get down!". That made the comeback all the more unbelievable for me - just one mis-step/turnover there in the last part of the game (after the way the first part had gone) and it was over

- I don't think it can be overstated what Trent has done for this team

- Marshawn is a beast - was there anything more beautiful than seeing that pile push five yards into the endzone - then see him walk out of it standing up?

- The TD pass to Roscoe was a *great* throw that maybe has been overlooked a bit - there was someone bearing right down Edwards and he knew he was going to get absolutely hammered (and he did) but he stood right in there and made the throw - he said when he let go of it he couldn't see Roscoe but knew he was supposed to be there

But Butler cosistently grades out highest out out everybody on the line...... :thumbsup:

Thank you! Brad Butler might be the best guy on our O-line. Last year, Butler started every game at right guard and allowed one, count em, one sack all year. Compare that to Jason Peters' six. And, I don't believe Butler has allowed one this year, either. On top of that, we tend to run for more yards per carry to the right than to the left. But, for whatever reason, we insist on pounding the left more often.

So why all the hating on Butler?

Thank you! Brad Butler might be the best guy on our O-line. Last year, Butler started every game at right guard and allowed one, count em, one sack all year. Compare that to Jason Peters' six. And, I don't believe Butler has allowed one this year, either. On top of that, we tend to run for more yards per carry to the right than to the left. But, for whatever reason, we insist on pounding the left more often.

No hating unless he hires Parker as his agent.

Peters has to be rusty after the long layoff and will only cost himself $$ in the end.

Agents = dickheads

Although I strongly disagree about Butler being anywhere near as good as Peters, my goal is/was not to rag on Butler as a young, fairly good RG. I mentioned him because I am in fact used to a higher level of play from him, and he has looked not so good in the last 2 games.

Often when this happens, there can be a good reason for this, such as a "hidden" injury, or the player next to him screwing up. The Bills need production from Butler because a poor RG playing next to Fowler would create a rather huge problem up front. I was glad when they extended Butler's contract, and expect him to come around. I hope it happens this week. :thumbsup:

Great analysis Bill! 2 things to add to the Trent praise: Lee Evans may have played his worse 3/4 of a game as a pro. But everytime he dropped/fumbled/had the ball stolen, Edwards went right back to him to show he was counting on him and help him get over the errors. Sideline shots of Trent remind me of Unitas. His expression is always the same. You can't tell if he just threw a pick-6 or engineered a 96 yard TD drive.

The stuff of legends. :thumbsup:

I'm not mocking Butler, I just don't think he has the proper frame to do the job a RG is supposed to be able to do, push his guy BACK on a regular basis on running plays. On the other hand, his height probably makes him a better pass protector that you expect out of your RG. We could do a lot worse, but I don't put much stock in the "grading system" or YPC to a particular side. I hope Butler gets better as a run blocker, but he sure beats the hell out of Tuten Reyes and Joe Panos!!!

I didn't really notice Butler had too bad of a game either. Maybe he is just trying to cover up for his rusty right tackle and undersized center, who actually I thought was really kind of crap in this game too. I liked him before this, but I see what people are complaining about now, he really gets pushed back and has trouble holding out a big guy at times. They certainly don't try to run up the middle with him in there much, which seems like it would be natural for ML. I think coupled with the rusty one it was hard to watch.

I think the whole offense had some crappy plays coupled with bad FIELD POSITION the first 3 quarters. But that can happen at times. I was soooooo like "CRAPPP AGAIN?" when we were starting from the 4 in that 96 yard drive. To think, I almost turned it off, so I could wake up for work in 4 hours (I live in Bangkok) but didn't, couldn't........

They really could use a sweep with the speed they have on this side of the line (when Jason shakes off the rust, that is and what else do you use a fullback for? Actually with the cuts into the seams that both ML and FJ can make, it really would make some sense, winter is coming). I also wondered when they would misdirection the defense more (we have a screen pass in the playbook no?) the pass out to the right after the pretty playaction showed how effective that it is not to go where they expect you to. The Raiders were blitzing and teeing off a lot, they could have used more slow developing misdirection to counter it. I wondered if Trent is reading it or Turk doesn't want to make it too complicated. They also really take so much longer when they are in the huddle at times (pass) that it telegraphs the play to the other team before they are at the line.

Okay enough with the negitivity.

I am so really impressed with ML and TE and the kinds of stuff they have done in the first 3 games. These guys are both in their second years (what a frigging draft!!! Poz too!). They both have the true grit that we so badly needed (again Poz too and Whitner, it may of been a late tackle but you could see they were fired up after it). Actually let me add Reed to it too. He played great, he blocks like a Muther F*&\ker, and came up big with some great routes. I think he is the Greer of the O this year. Lee really had a bad day LOL, it was good he stepped up.

I really thought Trent wasn't going to get up after the Parish TD (That was 380 lbs landing on him at full charge). The extra conditioning really seems to have payed off. I loved seeing him walking down the sideline and revving the guys up too. I also noticed JP when he was congratulating someone after a big play. I wonder, if they go far, will he still be itching so bad to get out of here, he does have a role here if he wants it and is willing to stay.

I have some stuff to say about the Faders (wow, that fits that team on Sunday) I kind of think that both of Oakland's lines are pretty dammed impressive. Why they went to zone and playing not to lose is beyond me though (I am pretty damm happy they did though, too). Their secondary is good as well, the LBs well......... can't have everything.

Maybe the D coach is really trying to get the HC fired, or he never watched the Bills defensive efforts in some heartbreakers last year. The have some players that I didn't ever consider to be that good before (and if you watched the Denver game they played badly and you know what I mean, but first games can be like that). I think we beat a pretty good team with a good amount of talent that is maybe 2 - 4 players and a Qb getting some maturity away from being in the post season (sound familar?). They really have to get crazy Al to do something though. If he leaves this wound open, he will be stuck with more losses and no choices, and another great draft pick LOL. The LBs need an upgrade that is for sure. They have plenty of weapons on O but they just can't do much more than run at this point. I expect if things go well and they handle the coaching problem better they will be damm good for a few years again.

I thought field position had a lot to do with the play on both sides of the ball, I was miffed as to why Roosco took that one ball deep that cost us points (although he redeemed himself). I wonder if McKelvin should be back there at times but maybe he is learning on the job and it will pay off big soon. He seems to have a knack for getting tackled by the kickers though LOL (although theirs is a big beastly guy, got say and for the most part he killed us with his punts). Our STs need some time to gel, again, they are going to get good, the youngest players on the team made the mistakes. Johnson got plowed over at least twice that I saw (I think it was him). Wilson was a monster out there though, Ellison too. It will come together, I have faith in Bobby. But lousy Field Position is tough, the D can really tee off more.

Our D got some of that let them down to the gate, then don't open it, that we saw soooo much of last year and it really saved the game that they didn't give up the TDs early. Some of them were in on every play, I thought Denny looked good too, but I was like stoppppp bending! already. I think we will miss Crow a bit too but we solidified and showed containment when it counted, they played a good game to keep us in it. Youboty makes a nice LBer and really isn't that much different of a size then Ellison, kind of interesting to see them go to the 5 CBs when he was out with the pointer. I was really impressed with them all on the run game and that TD pass was just a good ball to a fast guy in the right place, I doubt Poz misses the next one like that.

Let's face it some days the team is going to stink up the joint (arrgh costly penalties!!! and bad line play). They are young and making strides though. The most important thing about the ugly win, is it points out mistakes to the players and coaches, that they can adjust as time goes by................... and they WON! How great is that...........! Great for building confidence on and great for keeping things in perspective.

9) I am not going to embarrass people and name names, but thanks to those at Lot 1/Pole 5 for the fun, friendship, hospitality, and yes.....teaching me yet more about NFL Football. I am already planting "playoff seeds" in terms of getting permission from my wife to come back up there. I suppose I should be more macho and just insist, right? Or, maybe not. :thumbsup:

What ever works! lol