Could Peters hold out cost him his starting job?

PromoTheRobot

I think no but it may cost him another shot at the pro-bowl. If he misses 2 or 3 games and then takes some time to get back to the level he was at last year? He could lose some of his credibility. It always seems easier for players to get back to the pro-bowl than it is to get there the first time, but he is making it harder this year IMO.

There aren't many great LT in the AFC. If the Bills make the playoffs it will easier for Peters to make it again based on name recognition.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I say they let Peters sit and play Chambers as long as Chambers continues to play well. I dont see any reason to renogiate Peters contract,aside from the fact he will holdout again next summer.Hes getting what he had coming to him, talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth. :angry:

Jason Peters did something that didn't help the Bills at all. I understand your anger; at the end I was even pissed off, but he will be back as soon as he is ready. He is too good to sit, it just won't happen.

What I am hoping is that BADOLBILZ and other true draftniks will read this and explain to me how Chambers lasted until round 6, and was then cut. Make no mistake, I am not calling him a pro bowl OT, but he looked very good out there, and these guys are worth their weight in gold. He can even play LT in a pinch.

Talking about contracts? Chambers has 3 kids and is probably playing for the minimum, or close to it. They should offer him a 5 year deal and see if he grabs it.

Bill. I defy you to find "anger" in my post. I asked a legitimate question: "Do you put Peters in if your current O-line is playing well?" I didn't ask: "How long do you punish Jason Peters for holding out?" You are making a huge leap by suggesting this is motivated by some vendetta against Peters. What I'm saying is that Peters miscalcluation could lose him his starters position. In the NFL you don't give someone a shot at your job because there is always the chance they will take it, no matter how good you think you are.

PTR

what's the point? if he exceeds his deal he could hold out and people like you, mickey, etc will support him for it and if he falls on his face then the bills will never see the signing bonus again. Seems like a lose/lose proposition for the bills, no?

in all seriousness, i think it's a little early to go over the moon on chambers.......yes, he played a very good game yesterday, and yes i'm very excited he'll be the #3 tackle on the roster (barring injury to peters and/or walker) for the remainder of the year, but it's only one game from someone who to this point has always been a journeyman

It's only a problem if Chambers pulls a Jason-Peters-style schitt fit.

PTR

Yup.

The OL only has to screw up one play for your QB to go down and your season with it. Zero reason not to have your best athletes on the field.

So what you are saying is that Jason Peters never screws up? Never gave up a single sack? Or is it that once you make the pro Bowl you get a "guaranteed to never screw up" card?

PTR

Bill. I defy you to find "anger" in my post. I asked a legitimate question: "Do you put Peters in if your current O-line is playing well?" I didn't ask: "How long do you punish Jason Peters for holding out?" You are making a huge leap by suggesting this is motivated by some vendetta against Peters. What I'm saying is that Peters miscalcluation could lose him his starters position. In the NFL you don't give someone a shot at your job because there is always the chance they will take it, no matter how good you think you are.

PTR

I am not inside your head to see if you are angry, but your tone about this issue does come off this way. If I am confusing you with other posters, I am sorry.

I like Chambers a lot, but he is not, nor will he ever be as good as Peters. it won't happen. When Peters is ready, he plays. Talk of anything else is silly and vindictive.

Sorry again....jmo.

I am not inside your head to see if you are angry, but your tone about this issue does come off this way. If I am confusing you with other posters, I am sorry.

I like Chambers a lot, but he is not, nor will he ever be as good as Peters. it won't happen. When Peters is ready, he plays. Talk of anything else is silly and vindictive.

Sorry again....jmo.

Bill, your ability to see things that aren't there never ceases to amaze me.

PTR

I thought Chambers played lights out !! but are you kiddin me? someone asks, how do you tell Chambers hes gotta go to the bench now ? something like this, "great job Kirk, our best(and 1 of leagues best) LTs is ready to roll so keep your head in the game, your only ever 1 play away from starting again"

The better question is how do you tell the team your gonna stick with Chambers and sit Peters ? players wanna win, this really was a silly question to ask, IMO.

I thought Chambers played lights out !! but are you kiddin me? someone asks, how do you tell Chambers hes gotta go to the bench now ? something like this, "great job Kirk, our best(and 1 of leagues best) LTs is ready to roll so keep your head in the game, your only ever 1 play away from starting again"

The better question is how do you tell the team your gonna stick with Chambers and sit Peters ? players wanna win, this really was a silly question to ask, IMO.

Oh no he didn't... :angry:

Not if he is the backup all year.

PTR

I was with you on the holdout but there is no way Peters sits once he is ready. Chambers was not that great. I noticed on at least 2 replays that he was holding and got away with it. Not putting him down but Peters needs to be in there, and will be.

I was with you on the holdout but there is no way Peters sits once he is ready. Chambers was not that great. I noticed on at least 2 replays that he was holding and got away with it. Not putting him down but Peters needs to be in there, and will be.

People here said Chambers sucked, and yet he plays great against a solid opponent. Now people still say he sucks because...people say he sucks. How about judging him on how he plays rather than the popular opinion of posters? BTW...i'm not advocating keeping Peters on the bench. I'm just asking if the O-line is getting playing well, do you mess with something that ain't broken?

PTR

People here said Chambers sucked, and yet he plays great against a solid opponent. Now people still say he sucks because...people say he sucks. How about judging him on how he plays rather than the popular opinion of posters? BTW...i'm not advocating keeping Peters on the bench. I'm just asking if the O-line is getting playing well, do you mess with something that ain't broken?

PTR

He played great and if he continues to play at a high level the Bills will have plenty of leverage with Mr Peters.The longer Chambers plays the cheaper Peters gets and this whole holdout may very well blow up in his face.Thanks in advance Eugene,signed Bills fans :angry:

Sorry again....jmo.

I find it ironic that you are arguing in a positive way about two good starter-caliber linemen and ... both of them were not drafted in the early rounds.

So what you are saying is that Jason Peters never screws up? Never gave up a single sack? Or is it that once you make the pro Bowl you get a "guaranteed to never screw up" card?

PTR

Where exactly did I say that Peters never screws up? I said putting your best players on the field minimizes the chance of an error. Do you really not understand the difference? :sick:

But don't let me or anyone else stop you from your silly little crusade. :angry:

As soon as he's ready, he starts at LT. Walker moves back to RT. Chambers goes to the bench, and the Bills (for you obie wan!) have great depth at OT.

Yeah I think that is the way it will happen to.

- We are paying Peters way too much money to sit on the bench WHEN he is ready. As much as I hate what he did he is still one of the very top Left Tackles in the game.

- Kirk Chambers can now be the most popular OT on the team....much like the backup QB. And we now can feel good knowing we have solid depth at that spot going forward.

On a side note......I must apologize on my opinion of Kirk Chambers....I thought he was a LOUSY offensive linemen but he has proven me wrong.

While they did play well yesterday, it is hard to base an argument on one game. As soon as Peters is in good shape and has the offence under his belt he should immediately be inserted into the lineup, sending Walker back to the right side and feeling good knowing Chambers is a capable backup. Peters is a freak athlete and we need him.

I think almost all the posts I read here agree that Peters plays as soon as the coaches are conviced he'll perform at a higher level than Chambers. The disagreement seems to be if that is next week, or later, due to conditioning and learning the playbook. As for the argument that Peters might permanently lose his LT job, sure it's hypothetically possible, but given what we know now, it's a one in 100,000 chance. (And if that happened, we'd see him go to RT... or play TE - - never mind, this hypothetical is absurd.)

I personally guess the O-line will stay in their current positions against the Jags, and Peters will play some, but not all of the series. More interesting is who is cut and who is made inactive. Can we sneak Bell to the PS?

There's sticking to your guns, and then there's cutting off your nose to spite your face. I'm glad the Bills didn't give in to Peters, and I'm ecstatic the line performed as well as it did against Seattle. However, when Peters is in game shape, it would be ludicrous to keep him off the field to prove some further point, IMO. Saying that the Bills line is better without him is wishful thinking at its finest.

Ahh, rational thought. How refreshing.

I think almost all the posts I read here agree that Peters plays as soon as the coaches are conviced he'll perform at a higher level than Chambers. The disagreement seems to be if that is next week, or later, due to conditioning and learning the playbook. As for the argument that Peters might permanently lose his LT job, sure it's hypothetically possible, but given what we know now, it's a one in 100,000 chance. (And if that happened, we'd see him go to RT... or play TE - - never mind, this hypothetical is absurd.)

I personally guess the O-line will stay in their current positions against the Jags, and Peters will play some, but not all of the series. More interesting is who is cut and who is made inactive. Can we sneak Bell to the PS?

Matt Murphy is cut as soon as Peters is activated