Could Peters hold out cost him his starting job?

PromoTheRobot

People here said Chambers sucked, and yet he plays great against a solid opponent. Now people still say he sucks because...people say he sucks. How about judging him on how he plays rather than the popular opinion of posters? BTW...i'm not advocating keeping Peters on the bench. I'm just asking if the O-line is getting playing well, do you mess with something that ain't broken?

PTR

Didn't say he sucked. I don't think he played as well as others are saying. If the situation was different and Peters was injured, would you put him back in the line-up when became healthy?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't say he sucked. I don't think he played as well as others are saying. If the situation was different and Peters was injured, would you put him back in the line-up when became healthy?

If Peters was injured there would be an expectation, though not a guarantee, that he would get his job back. But can you equate this holdout with being injured? Peters was hoping the Bills would lose games without him. That has to rub some of his teammates the wrong way. So if you hold out and your replacement wins your job, then no, its not the same as an injury. That said, Peters will be back, if only because someone will get nicked eventually. There just isn't a rush to do it. Plus I don't know how much Peters has to learn to get caught up since he hasn't even been to an OTA.

PTR

I just watched every play on offense and only keyed on Chambers. First, he was better than I thought on pass blocking, very good throughout the game. He only got beat a couple times and it never really hurt us. Trent did a very good job stepping up when Chambers man was about to get him. He really impressed me with his pass blocking all game. As good as he was in pass blocking, he was just as lousy in run blocking. He gets zero push at the LOS. He gave up on a few plays too early. He was pushed back a lot. And the times that he successfully took his man out of the play so he couldn't make a tackle, Chambers basically pass blocked his opponent on run plays. He back-pedaled and then just pushed the man out. It worked often enough, although rarely when the play was called near him. There was one play he made a nice cut block. He stinks as a run blocker for the most part.

I just watched every play on offense and only keyed on Chambers. First, he was better than I thought on pass blocking, very good throughout the game. He only got beat a couple times and it never really hurt us. Trent did a very good job stepping up when Chambers man was about to get him. He really impressed me with his pass blocking all game. As good as he was in pass blocking, he was just as lousy in run blocking. He gets zero push at the LOS. He gave up on a few plays too early. He was pushed back a lot. And the times that he successfully took his man out of the play so he couldn't make a tackle, Chambers basically pass blocked his opponent on run plays. He back-pedaled and then just pushed the man out. It worked often enough, although rarely when the play was called near him. There was one play he made a nice cut block. He stinks as a run blocker for the most part.

Peters was just as weak in run blocking. Still Seattle's line is very good against the run, and Marshawn still averaged 4+ yds per carry.

PTR

Peters was just as weak in run blocking.

PTR

That is just utter nonsense. Peters bulldozes his opponent at times, pancakes them at times, blocks 2-3 guys on certain plays. He isn't great, he could get better, he's better at pass blocking, he doesn't always get push, but he is light years ahead of Chambers as a run blocker.

Thanks for your analysis KFBD. Sitting behind the tunnel end zone, it's hard to see OL play across the field, especially on the Lynch score. It seemed to me the Bills ran behind the left side, and with Dockery and Walker's size, I could certainly understand why. Was that something you saw?

i would not be surprised if peters is offseason trade bait.. if they could get 2 first rounders in next yrs draft id give it serious consideration,,

chambers and walker did far better than most anyone imagined .. if they continue ,i would nt rule out a trade..

in a interveiw today peters sounded like he had chip on his shoulder.. he still doesnt get it..he got chumped by his agent...not the bills/.........

and consider what we may be able to get in the 09 draft ..ray maaluga,, james laurinitis , george .selvie.,tyson jackson, brian cushing , micheal oher??? id take any two of them over jason peters with a bs attitude

Peters was just as weak in run blocking. Still Seattle's line is very good against the run, and Marshawn still averaged 4+ yds per carry.

PTR

You may not realize this, but the LT and RT positions are very specialized. A LT is expected to be a better pass protector who can handle any type of pass rusher whereas RT's are usually not as nimble but excel as run blockers.

Even so, Peters' was judged in 2005 good enough to start 10 games at RT. He started another 8 games in 2006 for a new coaching staff at RT before moving to LT.

Was Peters just sitting on his ass, loafing and eating bon-bons when he was sitting out?

“We do all kinds of testing and we tested him and his weight is probably better than it was a year ago,” said Jauron. “As far as his playing weight he’s a little bit under it. His percentage body fat is really good. So he’s obviously been doing something and working out. And he’s a very unique guy anyway physically.”

Here is the transcript of Peters interview.

http://buffalobills.com/wireless/story.asp?news_id=6554

i would not be surprised if peters is offseason trade bait.. if they could get 2 first rounders in next yrs draft id give it serious consideration,,

chambers and walker did far better than most anyone imagined .. if they continue ,i would nt rule out a trade..

in a interveiw today peters sounded like he had chip on his shoulder.. he still doesnt get it..he got chumped by his agent...not the bills/.........

and consider what we may be able to get in the 09 draft ..ray maaluga,, james laurinitis , george .selvie.,tyson jackson, brian cushing , micheal oher??? id take any two of them over jason peters with a bs attitude

Respectfully disagree. Won't happen.

I'm sorry, but I read through this topic and I continue to feel like I just watched a completely different game than those arguing that Peters should sit even if he's ready, or even that he's trade bait (ha!). Chambers had a very solid game, for a backup tackle. To think that means we shouldn't get our best 5 offensive linemen out there as quickly as possible is just crazy talk.