Crowell now on IR

VABills

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a contract year, he probably was ticked that he didn't get an extension and decided to have surgery and "screw" the Bills for a couple weeks and show his worth. Bills played hardball and put him on IR, which probably cost him millions in FA next year.

My question is, are agents testing Brandon, or do they just have no respect for him?

It does cost him if they don't reach an injury settlement and release him. If they hold him it tells you that they are royally pissed at him for having surgery so late. You don't put a player on IR before the season starts if he's only going to be out 2-4 weeks. The Bills got some criticism last year for putting POZ on IR. He could have come back and played late in the year, but the team was already hurting by week 3 with some major injuries, and his time missed would have been greater than 2-4 weeks.

Serious question here, but I can't believe I'm asking it...is there any way that Crowell was POed that his teammates 'took the C away from him' and he decided to show everyone what was what? An adult couldn't be that petty right?

There has to be more to this story. It surely doesn't sound right. It sounds petty, and can't sit well with the players either. This is a pretty big blow unfortunately. I'm not comfortable with Ellison starting the entire season. It's possible, however, that if Stroud and the DL can bust up the line, Ellison can use his speed to fill gaps and make tackles near the LOS.

Let me premise what I'm about to say by saying first that I think losing Crowell is potentially very damaging to this defense.

But...do hear me out here.

Ellison, while not the biggest guy out there, can fly around a bit in the defensive back and midfield. If our defensive line is truly improved, and I see no reason why it really CAN'T be, Ellison's speed might not exactly be a bad thing here. Additionally, and this is really stretching it, we did play without Crowell last year at times, as well as not having Poz all year and we didn't have Kawika then, either (who I'm really stoked about, BTW). Yet, this defense last year, without Stroud and Spencer Johnson, kept the Bills in contention with the most boring offense in the world. I think that even without Crowell, this overall defense is better than last years, and even if it's roughly the same, maybe the "new" offense can score a few more points to make up the difference.

I guess my moral is, don't panic just yet.

Besides, I think Crowell is at fault here. Me thinks he was angling for some more cash, didn't get it, so said, "fine, I'll take my knee and leave"...to which the Bills simply replied, "OK...enjoy your new offseason". I mean, really...this guy couldn't scope this knee months ago?

It does cost him if they don't reach an injury settlement and release him. If they hold him it tells you that they are royally pissed at him for having surgery so late. You don't put a player on IR before the season starts if he's only going to be out 2-4 weeks. The Bills got some criticism last year for putting POZ on IR. He could have come back and played late in the year, but the team was already hurting by week 3 with some major injuries, and his time missed would have been greater than 2-4 weeks.

Serious question here, but I can't believe I'm asking it...is there any way that Crowell was POed that his teammates 'took the C away from him' and he decided to show everyone what was what? An adult couldn't be that petty right?

Good post....an actually I thought the same thing when I was reminded he was a captain last year.

Crowell's career is done in Buffalo. The Bills made that very clear by placing him on the ir rather than let him rehab and come back in 4 or 5 weeks. Now we know where the Bills will look in the 1st round next year and see who they will team with Poz and Mitchel for 09.

Crowell cant be that dumb or can he? Why do you wait until a few days before the season to anounce that you are having surgery? He let down his teammates. I like how the Bills acted quickly and Im sure Crowell never would have thought things would have played out like this. This along with how the Bills are handling the Peters situation sends a very loud message that they are in charge- not the players.

You guys really think this was an "FU" move by the Bills brass? I'd like to believe they have the best interest of the team in mind and if AC was only going to be out 2 to 4 weeks, they would have kept him on the roster. My guess is that the injury is more severe than we think. If he had his meniscus (cartilidge) repaired instead of simply shaved, or had a cartilidge transplant into the knee, thats a season ending surgery easily but not a path usually taken by athletes looking to get back on the field quick.

RTB

You guys really think this was an "FU" move by the Bills brass? I'd like to believe they have the best interest of the team in mind and if AC was only going to be out 2 to 4 weeks, they would have kept him on the roster. My guess is that the injury is more severe than we think. If he had his meniscus (cartilidge) repaired instead of simply shaved, or had a cartilidge transplant into the knee, thats a season ending surgery easily but not a path usually taken by athletes looking to get back on the field quick.

RTB

Not really. Teams have 53 players, only 45 suit up. If they needed another player they cut an inactive and Crow sits out 2-4 weeks. There is more to this, and I suspect he'll get an injury settlement and booted out of Orchard Park for good. The writing was on the wall when he said he'd be playing MLB last year and they gave the job to a rookie, and then when said rookie got injured that gave it to Di. He was not in the Bills plan and when he just pulled this crap 3 days before the season it sealed it.

If he is only going to be out 2-3 weeks why are we putting him on the IR? Or was something else revealed showing the scope won't fix the problem?

Sounds almost punitive. He made the decision to have the knee scoped after a meeting with team doctors, boy would I like to know what they said. I can't believe he would have opted for surgery against their advice.

Crowell's career is done in Buffalo. The Bills made that very clear by placing him on the ir rather than let him rehab and come back in 4 or 5 weeks. Now we know where the Bills will look in the 1st round next year and see who they will team with Poz and Mitchel for 09.

Crowell cant be that dumb or can he? Why do you wait until a few days before the season to anounce that you are having surgery? He let down his teammates. I like how the Bills acted quickly and Im sure Crowell never would have thought things would have played out like this. This along with how the Bills are handling the Peters situation sends a very loud message that they are in charge- not the players.

How dare he get injured? What a rotten bastard.

RTB

I agree, Dick Jauron doesn't strike me as the FU kind of guy.

You never know with situations like this. What if Crowell met with team Docs, and they advised him and/or the Bills that he'd need more extensive surgery, or that if he only got it scoped that he'd risk re-injuring it when he came back? Maybe he chose to try the scope?

According to Paul Hamilton Dick J was angry when he announced AC injury and them putting him on IR. If you read between the lines this is a big FU to Crowell from the front office for not having surgery before the regular season starting and placing himself in front of the teams needs.

I'm not a huge fan of Crowells but hes definitely bent over the Bills on this one. I just hope this knee jerk reaction from Jauron and company by placing him on IR doesn't come back and bite us in the a$$

IIRC, Poz later said that he really couldn't have played at the end of last year, and surely wasn't completely healed. He was just so anxious to get in there that he said, at the time, that he could play.