Crowell now on IR

VABills

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing that kills me is that San Diego has Merriman with a torn ACL or whatever the heck it is and he is going to play because he loves football and can't imagine not playing. And then there is our guy, who apparently waits all off season and pre-season before he says, I think I need a procedure to check out my knee and will miss the next 4-6 weeks. Hope ya don't mind. Unbelievable.

The thing that kills me is that San Diego has Merriman with a torn ACL or whatever the heck it is and he is going to play because he loves football and can't imagine not playing. And then there is our guy, who apparently waits all off season and pre-season before he says, I think I need a procedure to check out my knee and will miss the next 4-6 weeks. Hope ya don't mind. Unbelievable.

Well, you have to give Merriman credit for having heart, but is playing with 2 torn ligaments very intelligent? If he loves the game so much, he would serve himself better to get his knee repaired so that he can add more years to his career. To continue as he is doing, he may be playing his last few games ever.

First of all - since the beginning of training camp I was worried about his knee. It seemed like a chronic thing all along -if he had to continually keep sitting out for periods during just low/non-contact practices - how the hell did anyone think he could last the rigors of a full season?

Second - I'd think normally the decision for players to go under the knife is based on the assessment of team doctors and mutual agreement between the player and the team - I don't think players just show up and announce - "Oh by the way I'm going to have surgery today".

If there's "more to the story" as so many of you claim, then why hasn't it been reported yet? If they did find out the injury is worse than originally announced, isn't it in the Bills best interest to get that out there immediately? Wouldn't they WANT their fans to understand why they did this?

There's really no need for the secrecy. Maybe we'll hear something Friday. Then again, maybe management made an error and jumped the gun here.

Maybe Crowell will retire by Sunday..............cut him!

:lol:

They in effect have cut him. Sounds like a pissing match on a schoolyard. If you dont play hurt, i will make sure you dont play and you wont get paid next year. :lol: This is the first step in looking forward to another coaching staff next year. Another step towards rebuilding for next year. The sh-- heads upstairs continue to make me believe this team is only about making money for ralph. dont pay your best lineman. let your qb of the future be exposed to getting killed due to your greed. Losman will be starting by week 3. bunch of friggin morons.

If you believe what BB.com is saying about this:

Crowell is scheduled to undergo a knee scope as a result of a chronic condition that slowed the linebacker each of the past two training camps. In a surprise decision Crowell made the choice to have surgery on the knee Thursday morning, just three days before the season opener.

Is scheduled to undergo...so those of you supposing that a worse injury was discovered during a scope that doesn't appear to be the case.

Apparently the Bills coaching staff decided they would be too shorthanded in the 2-4 week window in which Crowell would need to recover and created a roster spot by putting the veteran linebacker on injured reserve.

2-4 week window, not anticipating a major rehab time.

Is that all there is to it? Nope. More to follow I suspect.

BB link

Is that all there is to it? Nope. More to follow I suspect.

If there were more to follow, and some mysterious explanation that will take everyone from tar and feathering the brass to praising them, I don't understand the secrecy. Why not just let Chris Brown in on the scoop, and quell the masses? Its just good PR.

If there's "more to the story" as so many of you claim, then why hasn't it been reported yet? If they did find out the injury is worse than originally announced, isn't it in the Bills best interest to get that out there immediately? Wouldn't they WANT their fans to understand why they did this?

There's really no need for the secrecy. Maybe we'll hear something Friday. Then again, maybe management made an error and jumped the gun here.

Yes, you would think they would consult with us before making a decision like this. Who do they they they are?

Yes, you would think they would consult with us before making a decision like this. Who do they they they are?

This isn't a situation where letting everyone in on their line of thought can hurt them in anyway imaginable, if they do have a decent explanation for this. Letting the rest of us in on it can only be a good PR move, right?

From AP:

COLTS’ CENTER TO REHAB KNEE Despite a torn ligament in his right knee, Indianapolis Colts center Jeff Saturday said he was not planning surgery anytime soon. Saturday, a three-time Pro Bowl selection who was hurt in the Colts’ preseason loss to Buffalo two weeks ago, will instead continue his rehabilitation work amid hopes for a quick return.

If there were more to follow, and some mysterious explanation that will take everyone from tar and feathering the brass to praising them, I don't understand the secrecy. Why not just let Chris Brown in on the scoop, and quell the masses? Its just good PR.

Considering the whole story started breaking late this afternoon, it's not a surprise that you haven't seen more follow up on it yet. Buffalo News hasn't gone to print, neither has D&C, nor any other papers. I'm guessing right now sports radio is going on rumor & innuendo, just like this place.

Life will still go on if more news about this situation hits tomorrow morning, or even afternoon.

Agreed, GG.

If the Bills have a good explanation for this move, they have no reason not to go public with it.

Therefore, if the Bills don't offer a good explanation for this, it probably means they don't have one.

Friday will be an interesting day, and silence may be more telling than breaking news...

Unbelievable...they did the same thing with Poz last year, although his was a little bit longer time table for a return...Do our 52nd and 53rd players playing 6-8 plays a game(probably kickoff coverage) warrant putting a starting LB and a key component of the defense on the shelf for the entire year when he is only going to be out only 2-4 weeks?? I strongly doubt it. Is Blake Costanzo or whoever they get to replace Crowell's roster spot a player the Bills can't live without for a few weeks?? Not like Crowell would have been gone for 10 weeks or something...If anything why wouldn't they put Fine on IR?? He has what sounds like the more serious of the injuries....

Now, I am not saying Crowell should get a free pass on this whole thing...the guy has a responsibility to play football and take care of what he needs to take care of before the season starts. If he really was that injured during camp, why wasn't the procedure done then? Why wait until 3 days before the season to get it done? That shows a pretty poor commitment to the team and his teammates to do something like that---thats pretty shady on Crowell's part. However, the IR thing was a complete overreaction by the Bills---unless Crowell said something mouthy to them like "I really don't care what you think, I gotta make sure I am ready to hit the FA market next year and get a big contract...my loyalty is to my wallet, not the Bills..." Something must have happened between the team and Crowell, because this just doesn't make any sense on its face...

Player 53 on the roster could be missed on the roster with little to no effect...its not like he is going to be in on any plays anyways...

Unbelievable...they did the same thing with Poz last year, although his was a little bit longer time table for a return...Do our 52nd and 53rd players playing 6-8 plays a game(probably kickoff coverage) warrant putting a starting LB and a key component of the defense on the shelf for the entire year when he is only going to be out only 2-4 weeks?? I strongly doubt it. Is Blake Costanzo or whoever they get to replace Crowell's roster spot a player the Bills can't live without for a few weeks?? Not like Crowell would have been gone for 10 weeks or something...If anything why wouldn't they put Fine on IR?? He has what sounds like the more serious of the injuries....

Now, I am not saying Crowell should get a free pass on this whole thing...the guy has a responsibility to play football and take care of what he needs to take care of before the season starts. If he really was that injured during camp, why wasn't the procedure done then? Why wait until 3 days before the season to get it done? That shows a pretty poor commitment to the team and his teammates to do something like that---thats pretty shady on Crowell's part. However, the IR thing was a complete overreaction by the Bills---unless Crowell said something mouthy to them like "I really don't care what you think, I gotta make sure I am ready to hit the FA market next year and get a big contract...my loyalty is to my wallet, not the Bills..." Something must have happened between the team and Crowell, because this just doesn't make any sense on its face...

Player 53 on the roster could be missed on the roster with little to no effect...its not like he is going to be in on any plays anyways...

How do YOU know how long Crowell will be out for? Before he was put on IR, he headed in for a simple scope that would have him out for a month or so.

After that scope, he was put on IR. Was there more damage than all involved thought? Did Crowell choose to have actual SURGERY as opposed to a routine scope/clean up?

Let's wait until all the facts come out before making more ridiculous assumptions, shall we?