Peters holdout lacks a cheering section

Mike32282

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Peters is pretty football smart. I remember McNally saying how fast he picked things up. The play he made to block the kick and score a TD one of his first games, he fooled the OL. He played four different positions in college, and a couple years at Arkansas they didn't even have a TE coach, the position he mostly played. Then learned to play RT and then LT at an alarming pace, and he doesn't seem to make many mental mistakes at all. The guy just wants a lot of money, his linemate right next to him that he's better than makes 4 million more than him, and his contemporaries that he is as good as make 5-8 million more a year. It's pretty easy to see where Parker and Peters are coming from, just as easy as it is to see where The Bills are coming from.

He also hasn't missed a game yet. IF he decided to sit out this season, then I will re-evaluate his business acumen. But I very much doubt that he will.

You're confusing being football smart (not that hard, actually -- my seven year old picked up the game very quickly last year and played more than one position) with analytical intelligence off the field. You said not very long ago that Peters wouldn't miss one game. It appears that he now will, so don't be shocked if he surprises you again. It's a pretty ugly situation.

dave,

i have to disagree about the bills not trading peters.

i could see him getting dealt for 2 firsts (or even a first and conditional). atl, houston, maybe even cinci could trade for him.

You may be right. That may be my heart rather than my head talking. I don't want them to trade him under any circumstances, but perhaps I'm approaching this too emotionally.

I am repeating myself again, but I have found 2 prior clients of Parker's who held out with 2 years left. Hester and Seymour. Both were rewarded with new contracts.

The other agents probably think the holdouts are stupid because they put teams in tough situations making negotiations very adversarial. You back someone into a corner and they will try to fight their way out.

I would much rather negotiate a deal when both sides are moving towards a goal that they feel will be mutually beneficial.

The problem is, Parker has been very succesful with holdouts.

Very good point, Parker uses holdouts because, as maddening as they are, they work. In that context, rather than being an idiot for advising a holdout, he would be an idiot to advise against one.

We have had confirmation from several sources now on a key point including this most recent article, that the team refuses to give him a new deal this year regardless of whether he reported on time or not. So there was never anything to negotiate given their starting positions.

The next decision point is whatever date costs Peters a game check. If he is still at home on that date, we will know that neither side is bluffing. That would be a helluva thing.

Peters is pretty football smart. I remember McNally saying how fast he picked things up. The play he made to block the kick and score a TD one of his first games, he fooled the OL. He played four different positions in college, and a couple years at Arkansas they didn't even have a TE coach, the position he mostly played. Then learned to play RT and then LT at an alarming pace, and he doesn't seem to make many mental mistakes at all. The guy just wants a lot of money, his linemate right next to him that he's better than makes 4 million more than him, and his contemporaries that he is as good as make 5-8 million more a year. It's pretty easy to see where Parker and Peters are coming from, just as easy as it is to see where The Bills are coming from.

He also hasn't missed a game yet. IF he decided to sit out this season, then I will re-evaluate his business acumen. But I very much doubt that he will.

Kelly, what do you see as the possibilities if it becomes clear that the stalemate will continue past opening day?

I think Peters is getting bad advice from his agent. Remember, Peters is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. Even if he did report, I think he will be too far behind in our new offense be be effective. He may even be a liability. I'm all for the Bills holding their ground. They kept this guy around for years developing him, renegotiate his contract in 06, and even offer to redo his deal again starting in 09. If he can't play this year for $3.2M thenlet him get nothing at all!

1) You make a great point. Fans would rather blame an agent than the player. This is a fact. I don't pay $100.00 per ticket, airfare, hotels, and everything else to cheer agents. Anybody who has read any of my posts knows that Peters is my favorite Buffalo Bill and with good reason; he is the best player on the team. I wish it was close. Still, I refuse to blame Parker. This mess is the fault of Peters, Ralph, and his stooges.

2) You know, I read about his low wonderlic test score when he was playing RT. It concerned me to the point that I asked someone on this board who really knows his schitt if he could make the transition to LT. This poster told me it would be no problem whatsoever. He was right, and I am going to take this stance at this time. People laying on the turf that he just knocked on their asses aren't going to worry about his I.Q.

Good God I wish they would settle this mess. :thumbsup:

On point 2, you and some other posters make good points-- Peters may, in fact, have major "football smarts." I surely hope so, because I'd love to see him back on the field w/o a hitch asap.

You're confusing being football smart (not that hard, actually -- my seven year old picked up the game very quickly last year and played more than one position) with analytical intelligence off the field. You said not very long ago that Peters wouldn't miss one game. It appears that he now will, so don't be shocked if he surprises you again. It's a pretty ugly situation.

I don't think I am confusing the two. He may not be an academic All-American but there isn't a lot to make me believe he doesn't know what he is doing. I found it pretty hard to believe that you compared your seven year old picking up a position in Pop Warner to playing LT in the NFL but okay.

I don't even think it is all that ugly a situation. People understand the business side. Both sides have valid points. The Bills have the most valid, IMO. He still has basically two weeks and we're simply coming down to the time where one of the sides gives in. I surely suspect that will be Peters and Parker that give in. I still don't think Peters misses a game (although he may not be in great shape or top form) although it's possible.

I would be surprised if he is not named to the Pro Bowl at the end of the year (partially, of course, because once you go once you're often annointed) and he will need to play at a top level to get the major contract next year. I still think this probably, ultimately, gets him a few more dollars on his deal, unfortunately rewarding bad behavior.

So there was never anything to negotiate given their starting positions.

If 2008 is off the table, the Bills should talk to Peters about 2009. He may come in and play this year for the pitiful sum of 4 mil (if he meets incentives) if he signs a deal granting him a roster bonus of 10 mil on March 1st.

There is a solution to this problem.

Peters is to dumb to think of it.

Parker is to arogant to look for it.

Wilson is to stuborn to consider it.

Kelly, what do you see as the possibilities if it becomes clear that the stalemate will continue past opening day?

That he will eventually come in. He has to. The Bills hold about 50 of the cards, and Peters holds something like a three of clubs and five of hearts, which do him little good. If he then plays great all will be forgotten. If he plays less than he did last year there will be a lot of grumbling from everyone, especially the fans, and he's not likely going to get the huge deal he would get if he just comes in and plays. That's why I think that Parker will get him in soon.

On point 2, you and some other posters make good points-- Peters may, in fact, have major "football smarts." I surely hope so, because I'd love to see him back on the field w/o a hitch asap.

His talent is just amazing. DEs are sure that they have the angle, but he is fast and agile enough to stay with the fastest of them. Then, he is so freaking strong that he pushes them out of the play with his strong and very long arms.

He plays a Walter Jones style imo. Jones is more nimble, but Peters is stronger, and weighs much more. Pace was different. He was even stronger than Peters, and would just flat out destroy his opponents. R.Rich will dispute this, but I think that Pace was the best ever.

Still, Peters already has displayed everything one could possibly want in a LT, and miraculously, he was on our football team, the Buffalo Bills.

I wish I cared less, because I am sick to my stomach with this f :thumbsup: king b.s.

That he will eventually come in. He has to. The Bills hold about 50 of the cards, and Peters holds something like a three of clubs and five of hearts, which do him little good. If he then plays great all will be forgotten. If he plays less than he did last year there will be a lot of grumbling from everyone, especially the fans, and he's not likely going to get the huge deal he would get if he just comes in and plays. That's why I think that Parker will get him in soon.

But if he doesn't, don't the Bills end up with a choice between trading him or having a valuable asset go to waste? I don't know how he would manage to afford to stay home all season, with his income level he must have some pretty steep bills but if he went through with it and simply refused to come back, what then? It never happens so I don't see it happening here but I don't know, he is got to be getting pretty close to the date where he will lose a game check.

But if he doesn't, don't the Bills end up with a choice between trading him or having a valuable asset go to waste? I don't know how he would manage to afford to stay home all season, with his income level he must have some pretty steep bills but if he went through with it and simply refused to come back, what then? It never happens so I don't see it happening here but I don't know, he is got to be getting pretty close to the date where he will lose a game check.

Yeah, it's getting close. He will lose a game check as soon as he misses a game. I think players get paid right after the game.

His talent is just amazing. DEs are sure that they have the angle, but he is fast and agile enough to stay with the fastest of them. Then, he is so freaking strong that he pushes them out of the play with his strong and very long arms.

He plays a Walter Jones style imo. Jones is more nimble, but Peters is stronger, and weighs much more. Pace was different. He was even stronger than Peters, and would just flat out destroy his opponents. R.Rich will dispute this, but I think that Pace was the best ever.

Still, Peters already has displayed everything one could possibly want in a LT, and miraculously, he was on our football team, the Buffalo Bills.

I wish I cared less, because I am sick to my stomach with this f :thumbsup: king b.s.

I'm feeling it too. Think of all the late round project guys we wasted time with hoping to find a diamond in the rough in the past. Remember the norwegian weight lifter? We finally get one and bam, holdout city. I just don't get it. We paid Schobel and Kelsay like sailors drunk on shore leave trying to secure the last two prostitutes left in port. Peters is the guy they decide to make an example of?

We will know soon enough if this is going to end or be a season long issue.

Does anyone know where Adam Scheffter got this info that Peters would not play in the opener? I wonder how that can be, considering that according to all reports, no one has actually spoken with Parker or Peters.

Seems fishy.

I don't think I am confusing the two. He may not be an academic All-American but there isn't a lot to make me believe he doesn't know what he is doing. I found it pretty hard to believe that you compared your seven year old picking up a position in Pop Warner to playing LT in the NFL but okay.

I don't even think it is all that ugly a situation. People understand the business side. Both sides have valid points. The Bills have the most valid, IMO. He still has basically two weeks and we're simply coming down to the time where one of the sides gives in. I surely suspect that will be Peters and Parker that give in. I still don't think Peters misses a game (although he may not be in great shape or top form) although it's possible.

I would be surprised if he is not named to the Pro Bowl at the end of the year (partially, of course, because once you go once you're often annointed) and he will need to play at a top level to get the major contract next year. I still think this probably, ultimately, gets him a few more dollars on his deal, unfortunately rewarding bad behavior.

My larger point is that understanding the finer points of popular team sports isn't very hard, and certainly isn't that taxing on the brain. Anyone who thinks it is would have to explain the very large number of knuckle draggers and borderline psychos who populate the NFL (I'm exempting the QB position). There are plenty of intelligent players, of course, but it's certainly not a requirement, particularly along the lines and on the edges, where brute strength, speed, and (not least) a mean streak determine if one is capable of playing in the NFL. It ain't rocket surgery.

Also, if it's not an ugly situation, what is??? A player under contract for three more years who drops off the face of the earth after hiring a very combative agent is lined up against a team that refuses to budge and is apparently thinking about trying to take back money from him in a legal action (i.e. recover a portion of the bonus). That to me seems like the epitome of an ugly situation.

Of course, I hope it gets resolved before the start of the season. Maybe it will.

So much for the ridiculous arguments that this ill-advised and utterly futile holdout has, so far, has cost Peters "abolutely nothing". :thumbsup:

In addition to $460K in fines, he's lost the support of the majority of fans, and now looks like his teammates ain't too pleased with him either.

But hey, he is a pro bowler - maybe he can get a job at Thruway Lanes.

I'm feeling it too. Think of all the late round project guys we wasted time with hoping to find a diamond in the rough in the past. Remember the norwegian weight lifter? We finally get one and bam, holdout city. I just don't get it. We paid Schobel and Kelsay like sailors drunk on shore leave trying to secure the last two prostitutes left in port. Peters is the guy they decide to make an example of?

We will know soon enough if this is going to end or be a season long issue.

Yeah, and your post about the Evans contract situation while totally true, did little to help my mood.

Here we are, trying to develop a young, and potentially very freaking good quarterback, and we seem to be playing hard ball with his LT and his best wide receiver. WTF. you know? :thumbsup:

Stuckincincy made a great point....the team could probably sell for more with less outstanding contract debt. This is great for Ralph, but pretty freaking bad for us as fans. Is this what we freaking deserve? :lol:

It sucks, no matter which side a fan thinks is "right" in this instance.

So much for the ridiculous arguments that this ill-advised and utterly futile holdout has, so far, has cost Peters "abolutely nothing". :thumbsup:

In addition to $460K in fines, he's lost the support of the majority of fans, and now looks like his teammates ain't too pleased with him either.

But hey, he is a pro bowler - maybe he can get a job at Thruway Lanes.

OK, you are right. Maybe Ralph will get more for the team when he sells and we will never have a playoff game in Buffalo (or perhaps not even a team). But, Peters will work in a bowling alley, and you will be right in some abstract way.

Senator, it all sucks at this point. :lol:

i cant disagree with anything in your post Bill. but i do not think that the Bills (or any team) should negotiate with players who hold out. ESPECIALLY a hold out like this. even if we agree that he wouldve been worth $10million this season - at this point, missing camp, missing learning the new offense, missing getting into game shape, missing building chemistry with the rest of the line... i think he has managed to knock himself down to only being worth a couple mil. Which, given the fines he now owes the team, works itself out perfectly. this whole stupid hold-out in order to get paid this year, only made him lose value. it was the anti-negotiating tactic. he MAY have been worth $8-10mil back in March, but now he's not.

the Bills have a LOT of young players who are on rookie contracts or who have not come into their own. Most of which will need to be re-signed within the next 3 years. As a Bills fan, i do not want to see these guys hold the team hostage and force themselves out of the city. If you can say "Ralph has the money, he should spend it" then I can say "$3.5million should be enough for anyone, he shouldnt want more". neither really makes sense.

id just like to reiterate the bold part... and its good to see that his team mates are starting to agree