Peters holdout lacks a cheering section

Mike32282

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But didn't we have that pro bowler/left tackle last season?

Yep, in his first full season thereat. We also had a (however promising) rookie qb, JP Losman, rookie running back, weak DTs, Dick Jauron, a tough schedule, tons of injuries, etc. It was also the first year the OL played together.

This team will probably go nowhere without Jason Peters. Very freaking sad, but true.

Wow, over 100 posts and no one has surmised that perhaps Walker's injury has turned the players' opinion against Peters and made the FO dig in their heels a bit more. Of course injuries are part of the game, but don't tell me that there isn't grumbling inside the organization that now they need to try a patchwork on the line, there's a greater chance of someone getting hurt.

But, but, but, "GG," you say, "Isn't that Peters' & Parker's grand plan - to show how indispensable Peters is?" Sure, if his job was flipping burgers. But when there are 10 other guys on O that rely on him, or if I'm the guy who spent the day in the hospital writhing in pain, somehow the sympathy for Peters' contract demands go out the window. He's not the only one with an ego in that locker room. Especially the guy who has the checkbook.

With each passing day, P&P are whittling any goodwill that Peters has, and he better perform like he's the next coming of Orlando Pace.

I've read Graham's column which states that a few unnamed players now doubt even if Peters shows at this late juncture he'll contribute very little. I'm not quibbling over a statement, but the article itself does not paint any unknown players as being completely anti-Peters. I'd anticipate that could change if he carries this thing deep into the regular season and Walker or whomever plays OLT becomes a liability.

It is telling that some agent or agents agree with the Bills stance, because this impasse has surpassed every other holdout in the NFL. I'll be interested in what the players think after Week 1, as I can see that becoming a point of no return for Peters' teammates.

Yep, in his first full season thereat. We also had a (however promising) rookie qb, JP Losman, rookie running back, weak DTs, Dick Jauron, a tough schedule, tons of injuries, etc. It was also the first year the OL played together.

This team will probably go nowhere without Jason Peters. Very freaking sad, but true.

But when [bill from NYC] saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to sink, he cried, saying, [Jason], save me.

And immediately [Langston Walker] stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt?

Senator 14:30-31 :thumbsup:

(19 and 0 baby!!!! :ph34r: )

(19 and 0 baby!!!! :ph34r: )

You are right.

I know who I will blame if things go bad. If I'm not watching a Bills game this January, the Bills' front office will receive the worst typelashing of thier lives.

But until then I shouldn't let one player get me down. GO BILLS!!!!

If the entire season of this franchise comes down to the presence or absence of 1 offensive lineman; then this team is a whole lot worse off than any of us or any one in the media thinks.

Jason Peters does not a team make.

You are right.

I know who I will blame if things go bad. If I'm not watching a Bills game this January, the Bills' front office will receive the worst typelashing of thier lives.

But until then I shouldn't let one player get me down. GO BILLS!!!!

Damn right - with or without Peters, I expect to be watching the Bills play in Superbowl 43 on February 1st, 2009!!!!!

(And I expect Lynch, Poz, Trent Edwards, Moorman, Lindell, Schobel, et al to represent the Bills in the Hawaii, while 'pro bowler' Jason Peters stays home & oils the lanes! :ph34r: )

Bill, I've just gotta ask -- did you father an illegitimate son in the early 80s with a full-figured gal from Queen City, Texas?

If the entire season of this franchise comes down to the presence or absence of 1 offensive lineman; then this team is a whole lot worse off than any of us or any one in the media thinks.

Jason Peters does not a team make.

You have a point, but as an avid fan, I am still not totally sure about what seperates winning teams from losing teams. It would seem to me that the biggest factors would be both lines, quarterbacking and coaching.

In this sense, the Bills range from painfully thin (OL), hopefully good (DL), and very shaky (head coach). Few teams are, but the Bills, because they use their best resources on defensive backs and/or gadget players, are totally unprepared to lose their best blocker. In this sense, at least we can all hopefully agree that it is good that he didn't tear an ACL in pre-season while holding out.

I think that the Bills could be very competitive this year, or, they could fold like a house of cards. Again, the Bills were thin up front with Peters. I think that Edwards and Lynch are good but they are kids, and really do need a top LT like Peters to play up to their potential.

The Bills have sucked at LT for the better part of 15 years. Fina was God Awful at the end, yet was making 5 million per season, and was even designated the "Franchise Player." There should have been an outrage, but we are the most loyal of fans.

If Peters never plays another game in a Bills uniform, don't count on Jauron to replace him. Even if he trades him for another 1st round pick, look for him to select a safety and another corner. This is of course if he is our coach next season, and I am not banking on this by a longshot.

You have a point, but as an avid fan, I am still not totally sure about what seperates winning teams from losing teams. It would seem to me that the biggest factors would be both lines, quarterbacking and coaching.

In this sense, the Bills range from painfully thin (OL), hopefully good (DL), and very shaky (head coach). Few teams are, but the Bills, because they use their best resources on defensive backs and/or gadget players, are totally unprepared to lose their best blocker. In this sense, at least we can all hopefully agree that it is good that he didn't tear an ACL in pre-season while holding out.

I think that the Bills could be very competitive this year, or, they could fold like a house of cards. Again, the Bills were thin up front with Peters. I think that Edwards and Lynch are good but they are kids, and really do need a top LT like Peters to play up to their potential.

The Bills have sucked at LT for the better part of 15 years. Fina was God Awful at the end, yet was making 5 million per season, and was even designated the "Franchise Player." There should have been an outrage, but we are the most loyal of fans.

If Peters never plays another game in a Bills uniform, don't count on Jauron to replace him. Even if he trades him for another 1st round pick, look for him to select a safety and another corner. This is of course if he is our coach next season, and I am not banking on this by a longshot.

why this blanket statement? Some would argue that CB's are the most important position on the field - see big deals for Champ Bailey, Asante Samuel etc. A lockdown corner is exactly that - he doesnt need anyone to slide coverage (LB, S or another CB), which means said player can focus elsewhere. I have no problem with DJ picking Donte Whitner 3 years ago (see how important dominant safties are on PLAYOFF teams - Bob Sanders, Troy P...), and certainly not going CB this year as CB was arguably our weakest/least depth position last year. I feel like I read alot (whether its you or not i dont know) about people compaining about DJ 'always picking DB's'....

Langston is not Jason Peters, but he has played well in the preseason...and last i checked our first team O has looked much better than last year. With Turks' quick dropbacks/throws, hopefully we wont need to rely AS much on the line as previous years.

Building a winning team is not an exact science but it is hard to argue with the notion that you do not get better by losing your best players.

Nice work Bill. You somehow managed to turn a jason peters related post into a post bashing DBs.

Building a winning team is not an exact science but it is hard to argue with the notion that you do not get better by losing your best players.

Care to run a tally of players gained vs. players lost during the current (i.e., post-Donahoe) administration's existence?

Let me know when you've determined the Bills let their best players go.

why this blanket statement? Some would argue that CB's are the most important position on the field - see big deals for Champ Bailey, Asante Samuel etc. A lockdown corner is exactly that - he doesnt need anyone to slide coverage (LB, S or another CB), which means said player can focus elsewhere. I have no problem with DJ picking Donte Whitner 3 years ago (see how important dominant safties are on PLAYOFF teams - Bob Sanders, Troy P...), and certainly not going CB this year as CB was arguably our weakest/least depth position last year. I feel like I read alot (whether its you or not i dont know) about people compaining about DJ 'always picking DB's'....

Langston is not Jason Peters, but he has played well in the preseason...and last i checked our first team O has looked much better than last year. With Turks' quick dropbacks/throws, hopefully we wont need to rely AS much on the line as previous years.

Preseason is preseason, that is to say, it is meaningless.

The offense scored 14 points in the opener, 17 against the Steelers and only 13 last week. Defense and ST scores account for the rest. I am crediting them with the FG they kicked after ST's recovered a fumble on the opening kick in the opener at the Redskin 30. The offense did nothing to earn that 3 but I'll give it to them just to be generous.

Care to run a tally of players gained vs. players lost during the current (i.e., post-Donahoe) administration's existence?

Let me know when you've determined the Bills let their best players go.

I made a general statement I think is a truism, I wasn't being critical specifically of the current, ie, 2 year old regime. Need a little more time for that. However, it has been a problem for this team which, as far as I know, has been owned by the same guy for a lot longer than 2 years.

I am not sure what you mean? Are you saying that all good players gained were gained only because we let other good players go? I always thougt the idea was to keep the good players and replace the bad ones. If you see it as a gain to let good players go and replace them with good players then I can see why you seem so convinced that a team that has been as mediocre as we have been has made no mistakes. To me, it explains why hovering within a game or two of .500 is the best we have managed to accomplish.

I'd mention guys like Clements, Winfield and Pat Williams but apparently you have never heard of them.

Controversial though it may seem, I am going to stick to my guns that you don't get better by losing good players. Way out on a limb, I know, but there it is.

Why do they play the games then? What's really meaningless is when you take stats for the entire game and use them to characterize the performance of the starting offense. Somehow, I'm not too concerned that the offense scored just 17 points against the Steelers when the starters put up 14 of those points on the first two drives.

Why do they play the games then? What's really meaningless is when you take stats for the entire game and use them to characterize the performance of the starting offense. Somehow, I'm not too concerned that the offense scored just 17 points against the Steelers when the starters put up 14 of those points on the first two drives.

They play them to get a look at the rookies, get some practice in, make a little extra coin and to get people like you all googly eyed over a full dress scrimmage.

It is meaningless in terms of predicting success during the regular season. The worst preseason teams the Bills ever had were their best regular season teams.

The point is that it would be utterly ridiculous to make long term, critical decisions based solely on a fistful of preseason games.

I am not reading much positive or negative from the preseason, the other guy was. I just pointed out that preseason doesn't mean much (a universally accepted axiom by the way) but if you are going to make a big deal out of it, you might want to take note that it wasn't all beer and skittles.

The offense scored 14 points in the opener, 17 against the Steelers and only 13 last week. Defense and ST scores account for the rest. I am crediting them with the FG they kicked after ST's recovered a fumble on the opening kick in the opener at the Redskin 30. The offense did nothing to earn that 3 but I'll give it to them just to be generous.

The Bills are the 6th highest scoring team in the conference and tied for 2nd for the most touchdowns, and they're 2-1 against some damn good teams. Maybe it's preseason, but they don't suck at all.

I made a general statement I think is a truism, I wasn't being critical specifically of the current, ie, 2 year old regime. Need a little more time for that. However, it has been a problem for this team which, as far as I know, has been owned by the same guy for a lot longer than 2 years.

Correction. It was a problem for the team under Donahoe. If you want to blame Ralph for that, go ahead, but at least he realized his mistake and corrected it. Since that time, covering the past three offseasons, tell me how any reasonable person could come to any conclusion other than the Bills are markedly more talented on both sides of the ball.

I am not sure what you mean? Are you saying that all good players gained were gained only because we let other good players go? I always thougt the idea was to keep the good players and replace the bad ones. If you see it as a gain to let good players go and replace them with good players then I can see why you seem so convinced that a team that has been as mediocre as we have been has made no mistakes. To me, it explains why hovering within a game or two of .500 is the best we have managed to accomplish.

Please tell me you're not this obtuse. What did I mean? It's pretty obvious. The Bills have more good players now than they did three years ago, and the ONLY good player they've lost is Clements.

I'd mention guys like Clements, Winfield and Pat Williams but apparently you have never heard of them.

You'd mention them out of context, since the complaints being leveled at the Bills have to do with the way the current administration is running things. Donahoe made the Winfield and Williams decisions.

Controversial though it may seem, I am going to stick to my guns that you don't get better by losing good players. Way out on a limb, I know, but there it is.

How coy of you. The truth is the Bills aren't losing good players under the current regime; they're gaining them.