Peters holdout lacks a cheering section

Mike32282

I will say this, Tim's off to a very good start in his new gig. I especially liked that he 'worked the story' and contacted at least seven agents, rather than simply regurgitate what we already know, or opinionize like most other writers/talking heads.

Maybe I shouldn't give up hope on the availability of worthwhile NFL coverage just yet...

Agreed. The exception that proves the rule? Or, maybe Tim just likes to do his job properly. Didn't he say he was a WNY guy? Jaworski, and maybe soon to be Tim here, the only NFL analysis worth bothering with?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This holdout reeks of something else going on...it just doesn't make any sense. when players and other agents are agreeing with the team something is up.

I hope it doesn't have to do with his injury last year....I have to believe that he nor his agent are not THAT dumb.

They (or at least Pat Kirwan) say money is undefeated in the NFL. We shall soon see, but this has the makings of blemishing that undefeated record.

So how long do the boos/jibes last from Bills fans at the stadium if/when Jason suits up?

Oh yeah, Eugene Parker can blow me.

Why do we blame Parker?????? I mean peters can nut up and fire the dude anytime he wants. I may not know all the rules, but at least at this point( I think) Peters owes Parker squadoosh, as no new contract. Do not leave Peters totally out of the equation of being a meathead

Why do we blame Parker?????? I mean peters can nut up and fire the dude anytime he wants. I may not know all the rules, but at least at this point( I think) Peters owes Parker squadoosh, as no new contract. Do not leave Peters totally out of the equation of being a meathead

Parker gets blamed because he is behind most of the holdouts in the NFL.

Hey, that is pretty good. Interesting insinuation about the mood in the locker room; I'd be VERY interested to know the source of that, because the players normally stick together on contract issues.

What was that writer's name again? Oh, yeah. This guy. :thumbsup:

He only referred to two guys out of what, 75? I get it was JP and Edwards, its their keesters that are going to get killed if Peters doesn't play or plays out of step due to the missed time.

The article confirmed what a number of us have said all along, that his absence from camp isn't the issue, the team flatly refuses to give him a new deal this year and he flatly refuses to play without one:

"They also have made it known to Peters' agent, Eugene Parker, they're not willing to renegotiate 2008, insisting any additional money will be paid next year forward."

If either of them are bluffing, the team or Peters, we will know soon enough as pretty soon he is going to start missing game paychecks. Until then, this holdout just doesn't really cost Peters anything and as we saw with Walker's near injury, you never know how the deck could be reshuffled.

As for the 7 other agents, they are Parker's competitors and I bet they would love to see him get fired so they can take a run at a new client. Besides, they are agents for goodness sakes, if they told the truth to anyone besides their clients they wouldn't be doing their jobs.

Great article.

Two comments related to the article:

1) Maybe it's not Parker, but Peters driving this thing. If every agent in the world thinks this is stupid, maybe Parker does too, but Peters is calling the shots.

2) Great point in the article re. Peters falling behind. From what I recall, Peters isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Combine that with a new offense, being relatively new to the position, and being rusty, my guess is he might be useless for a while. And if that's the case, what does that do to his value on a new deal after 2008?

Great point in the article re. Peters falling behind. From what I recall, Peters isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Combine that with a new offense, being relatively new to the position, and being rusty, my guess is he might be useless for a while. And if that's the case, what does that do to his value on a new deal after 2008?

And the part of that which galls me is he can at least still collect his $3.5 mil while being useless

Parker gets blamed because he is behind most of the holdouts in the NFL.

He's replaced Drew Rosenhaus as the scum bag of the NFL. Rosenhaus learned his lesson and doesn't hold out his players anymore. He knows that it hurts in the long run.

They (or at least Pat Kirwan) say money is undefeated in the NFL. We shall soon see, but this has the makings of blemishing that undefeated record.

Good point. It should blemish that undefeated record, unless Peters gets what he really wants and the Bills trade him.

I think the favored term is "peckerhead" at the moment. You have to judge them all on the end result. So far this hasn't really cost Peters much...providing that if nothing happens soon, he comes in soon enough so that he doesn't miss a game check. If he does come in, I don't think it costs him all that much. As for the team, they get him for one more year, but he won't be very effective for 2-3 weeks and yet they will have to pay him his salary. They also have to worry about the long term effect of a now disgruntled pro bowler. I imagine Parker will have to reduce the fee he takes when Peters does get a deal to cover the fines. So Parker loses some coin sooner or later, the team loses their best OT for 2-3 games and has a headache in the making for next year and Peters ends up with a much longer vacation and none the worse for the effort. He does have some fans calling him peckerhead though, so I guess he will have to somehow live with that.

It would really be something if he holds out long enough to start missing game checks. I can't recall the last time I saw that with a veteran player as opposed to a rookie like Russell. I have no idea how that would end up.

1) Maybe it's not Parker, but Peters driving this thing. If every agent in the world thinks this is stupid, maybe Parker does too, but Peters is calling the shots.

Parker's record speaks for itself.

You look at Parker's client list, google '[insert player] & holdout' and you will find that almost 1/2 of them have held out in some capacity.

Parker held out 3 veteran clients this year alone.

Just in case anyone is keeping track of my opinions, I am not switching sides, I am just offering facts that people seem to have missed.

And the part of that which galls me is he can at least still collect his $3.5 mil while being useless

Like I have said before, Peters isn't really losing much by giving the holdout a try. In response, many have argued that had he reported he would have indeed been given that new deal but that notion has been debunked many times. This article does so one more time for old times sake:

"They also have made it known to Peters' agent, Eugene Parker, they're not willing to renegotiate 2008, insisting any additional money will be paid next year forward."

All he had to lose by giving it whirl was the fines and I doubt he ever pays them or if he does, it comes out of Parker's eventual fee.

Galling? Probably but definitely not stupid.

Parker's record speaks for itself.

You look at Parker's client list, google '[insert player] & holdout' and you will find that almost 1/2 of them have held out in some capacity.

Parker held out 3 veteran clients this year alone.

Just in case anyone is keeping track of my opinions, I am not switching sides, I am just offering facts that people seem to have missed.

That's a good point. But even the other agents will tell you that it's a different story. Peters has 3 years left on his deal and that's already a new contract that was renegotiated 2 years ago and was a good contract back then.

He only referred to two guys out of what, 75? I get it was JP and Edwards, its their keesters that are going to get killed if Peters doesn't play or plays out of step due to the missed time.

The article confirmed what a number of us have said all along, that his absence from camp isn't the issue, the team flatly refuses to give him a new deal this year and he flatly refuses to play without one:

If either of them are bluffing, the team or Peters, we will know soon enough as pretty soon he is going to start missing game paychecks. Until then, this holdout just doesn't really cost Peters anything and as we saw with Walker's near injury, you never know how the deck could be reshuffled.

As for the 7 other agents, they are Parker's competitors and I bet they would love to see him get fired so they can take a run at a new client. Besides, they are agents for goodness sakes, if they told the truth to anyone besides their clients they wouldn't be doing their jobs.

Has it occurred to anyone that Peters is, you know, kinda dumb? As in 9-on-the-Wonderlic dumb? In other words, it's not just the agent. I can't say this with any certainty (no one can say anything with certainty), but I suspect that Bills will neither give him more money nor trade him come hell or high water. He will lose a year of his career plus 3+ million dollars that will not be reimbursed, while the Bills will have a worse offensive line. However, Langston Walker looks to be at least reasonably competent (as good as Jonas Jennings in his prime), and the team appears to be planning on winning with defense anyway given the looks of things. Given that the Bills have a better coordinator and an improved QB, I'm thinking that they're thinking they can get by. Whether Peters will be thinking he can get by come week 6 or whenever the final deadline kicks in is anyone's guess. At this point, he's not going to be any good for the first 2-4 games anyway, so why not stick it to him? Since it has dragged out so long, it's not as if they're going to be losing a pro-bowl caliber player for the first third of the season. They'll be losing an out-of-football shape malcontent who will bucking to get out of Buffalo. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

Has it occurred to anyone that Peters is, you know, kinda dumb? As in 9-on-the-Wonderlic dumb? In other words, it's not just the agent. I can't say this with any certainty (no one can say anything with certainty), but I suspect that Bills will neither give him more money nor trade him come hell or high water. He will lose a year of his career plus 3 million dollars, while the Bills will have a worse offensive line. However, Langston Walker looks to be at least reasonably competent (as good as Jonas Jennings in his prime), and the team appears to planning on winning with defense anyway given the looks of things. Given that the Bills have a better coordinator and an improved QB, I'm thinking that they're thinking they can get by. Whether Peters will be thinking he can get by come week 6 or whenever the final deadline kicks in is anyone's guess. At this point, he's not going to be any good for the first 2-4 games anyway, so why not stick it to him? Since it has dragged out so long, it's not as if they're going to be losing a pro-bowl caliber player for the first third of the season. They'll be losing an out-of-football shape malcontent who will bucking to get out of Buffalo. I wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

Peters is pretty football smart. I remember McNally saying how fast he picked things up. The play he made to block the kick and score a TD one of his first games, he fooled the OL. He played four different positions in college, and a couple years at Arkansas they didn't even have a TE coach, the position he mostly played. Then learned to play RT and then LT at an alarming pace, and he doesn't seem to make many mental mistakes at all. The guy just wants a lot of money, his linemate right next to him that he's better than makes 4 million more than him, and his contemporaries that he is as good as make 5-8 million more a year. It's pretty easy to see where Parker and Peters are coming from, just as easy as it is to see where The Bills are coming from.

He also hasn't missed a game yet. IF he decided to sit out this season, then I will re-evaluate his business acumen. But I very much doubt that he will.

That's a good point. But even the other agents will tell you that it's a different story. Peters has 3 years left on his deal and that's already a new contract that was renegotiated 2 years ago and was a good contract back then.

I am repeating myself again, but at least 2 prior clients of Parker's who held out with 2 years left. Hester and Seymour. Both were rewarded with new contracts.

The other agents probably think the holdouts are stupid because they put teams in tough situations making negotiations very adversarial. You back someone into a corner and they will try to fight their way out.

I would much rather negotiate a deal when both sides are moving towards a goal that they feel will be mutually beneficial.

The problem is, Parker has been very succesful with holdouts.

Great article.

Two comments related to the article:

2) Great point in the article re. Peters falling behind. From what I recall, Peters isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. Combine that with a new offense, being relatively new to the position, and being rusty, my guess is he might be useless for a while. And if that's the case, what does that do to his value on a new deal after 2008?

1) You make a great point. Fans would rather blame an agent than the player. This is a fact. I don't pay $100.00 per ticket, airfare, hotels, and everything else to cheer agents. Anybody who has read any of my posts knows that Peters is my favorite Buffalo Bill and with good reason; he is the best player on the team. I wish it was close. Still, I refuse to blame Parker. This mess is the fault of Peters, Ralph, and his stooges.

2) You know, I read about his low wonderlic test score when he was playing RT. It concerned me to the point that I asked someone on this board who really knows his schitt if he could make the transition to LT. This poster told me it would be no problem whatsoever. He was right, and I am going to take this stance at this time. People laying on the turf that he just knocked on their asses aren't going to worry about his I.Q.

Good God I wish they would settle this mess. :thumbsup:

It was shocking to see the reporter in this article actually add value to the story by making phone calls.

I used to devour all the stuff in the Buf News and D&C, but since we've had access to most of the press conferences, it's not worth it anymore. Almost all of the articles on the Bills are built on things any of us can see in the games and the press conferences. It's getting harder and harder to find a quote in an article that wasn't directly from a post-game/practice PC. Anyone here could transmit the information found in most articles, and some of the people here (e.g., Lori) could do it much more elegantly. What ever happened to developing relationships/sources over time so that a reporter could actually give us non-public insight into a team?

Anyway, I would love it if more reporters actually bothered to do what this guy did.

As for analysis, the major media are only about 5% better than the unreadable speculation on RealFootball365. I can get WAY more insight into football in general and the state of the Bills in particular by reading the posters on here who watch the game with attention, intelligence, and knowledge (e.g., Simon, Dave McBride, Badol, Kelly, R. Rich, Bill in NYC (who else is going to spend the entire game maniacally staring at the right guard?), etc.). Imagine a professional commentator who actually took the trouble to RE-watch games and look for things that aren't obvious at first glance. I already freaking know if the quarterback played well, even though I never played football and might possibly be watching the game somewhat intoxicated.