Peters holdout lacks a cheering section

Mike32282

Yeah, and your post about the Evans contract situation while totally true, did little to help my mood.

Here we are, trying to develop a young, and potentially very freaking good quarterback, and we seem to be playing hard ball with his LT and his best wide receiver. WTF. you know? :thumbsup:

Stuckincincy made a great point....the team could probably sell for more with less outstanding contract debt. This is great for Ralph, but pretty freaking bad for us as fans. Is this what we freaking deserve? :lol:

It sucks, no matter which side a fan thinks is "right" in this instance.

OK, you are right. Maybe Ralph will get more for the team when he sells and we will never have a playoff game in Buffalo (or perhaps not even a team). But, Peters will work in a bowling alley, and you will be right in some abstract way.

Senator, it all sucks at this point. :thumbsup:

where are you pulling this stuff about "Ralph being able to sell the team for more" as the reasoning behind this?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

where are you pulling this stuff about "Ralph being able to sell the team for more" as the reasoning behind this?

If he settles the contracts of Peters and Evans, there would be (on paper) additional debt to the tune of over 100 million dollars. Don't you think this would matter at all? Seriously.

OK, you are right. Maybe Ralph will get more for the team when he sells and we will never have a playoff game in Buffalo (or perhaps not even a team). But, Peters will work in a bowling alley, and you will be right in some abstract way.

Senator, it all sucks at this point. :thumbsup:

But it doesn't have to suck, Bill - Peters can end it all by showing up tomorrow morning and, as I said about Steven Jackson in a different thread, time - and winning - heals all wounds. Peters will eventually get his $$$$ if he still plays at a high level, and all will eventually be forgiven, if not forgotten.

QUICK EDIT: BTW, Bill, I'm still saying we're a playoff team this season with or without Jason Peters.

If he settles the contracts of Peters and Evans, there would be (on paper) additional debt to the tune of over 100 million dollars. Don't you think this would matter at all? Seriously.

Ralph has said many times that the team will not be sold while he's alive. Ralphs actions have proven, for better or worse, that he does not care what happens to this team when he's gone. He's not setting things up for the estate sale.

Peters has nothing to do with the selling price of the team, but it may have a lot to do with a stuborn 89 year old man.

Peters is pretty football smart. I remember McNally saying how fast he picked things up. The play he made to block the kick and score a TD one of his first games, he fooled the OL. He played four different positions in college, and a couple years at Arkansas they didn't even have a TE coach, the position he mostly played. Then learned to play RT and then LT at an alarming pace, and he doesn't seem to make many mental mistakes at all. The guy just wants a lot of money, his linemate right next to him that he's better than makes 4 million more than him, and his contemporaries that he is as good as make 5-8 million more a year. It's pretty easy to see where Parker and Peters are coming from, just as easy as it is to see where The Bills are coming from.

He also hasn't missed a game yet. IF he decided to sit out this season, then I will re-evaluate his business acumen. But I very much doubt that he will.

I wonder how much of Peters' ability to make plays on ST and the OL was due to his freakish athletic ability, rather than his mental uptake capacity. :thumbsup:

Peters is pretty football smart. I remember McNally saying how fast he picked things up. The play he made to block the kick and score a TD one of his first games, he fooled the OL. He played four different positions in college, and a couple years at Arkansas they didn't even have a TE coach, the position he mostly played. Then learned to play RT and then LT at an alarming pace, and he doesn't seem to make many mental mistakes at all. The guy just wants a lot of money, his linemate right next to him that he's better than makes 4 million more than him, and his contemporaries that he is as good as make 5-8 million more a year. It's pretty easy to see where Parker and Peters are coming from, just as easy as it is to see where The Bills are coming from.

He also hasn't missed a game yet. IF he decided to sit out this season, then I will re-evaluate his business acumen. But I very much doubt that he will.

we have a winner!! :thumbsup:

No. Sports franchises are valued using revenue multiples. Plus there is a salary cap and you have to spend the money on someone. At this point, why would Ralph entrust Peters with a huge contract after his antics?

His talent is just amazing. DEs are sure that they have the angle, but he is fast and agile enough to stay with the fastest of them. Then, he is so freaking strong that he pushes them out of the play with his strong and very long arms.

He plays a Walter Jones style imo. Jones is more nimble, but Peters is stronger, and weighs much more. Pace was different. He was even stronger than Peters, and would just flat out destroy his opponents. R.Rich will dispute this, but I think that Pace was the best ever.

Still, Peters already has displayed everything one could possibly want in a LT, and miraculously, he was on our football team, the Buffalo Bills.

I wish I cared less, because I am sick to my stomach with this f :thumbsup: king b.s.

he has the talent to not only be a pro bowl player, but someday down the line be one of the greatest of all time. When you hear McNally comparing his skill set to that of anthony Munoz, you gotta be down right giddy!!

i dont care who's right or wrong, just get it done already !! :lol:

You can count the number of people who think the front office is handling this incorrectly on the hand of a bad woodshop teacher. :thumbsup:

One, two, three....yep, that's about right. They rhyme with Dickey, WillsPet, and Jill from XYZ.

Seriously, it astounds me that it took this long for this article to be written. As I've been saying for days, if not weeks, this is a unique situation -- one in which it is essentially unheard of for such a position to be taken by a player/agent.

Get your ass to Orchard Park, Jason, and start rebuilding your integrity with your team.

I do not Bill. The only thing the team is on the hook for is the bonus, which even for tight fisted ralphie may be spread out two years and the very most 3 . So lets say combined Evans and Peters get $45M guaranteed. That leaves $30M still left to be paid out, nothing when considering the purchase price of the team will be over $750M. And as you so wholly support that would be for the two BEST players on the team.

But if he doesn't, don't the Bills end up with a choice between trading him or having a valuable asset go to waste? I don't know how he would manage to afford to stay home all season, with his income level he must have some pretty steep bills but if he went through with it and simply refused to come back, what then? It never happens so I don't see it happening here but I don't know, he is got to be getting pretty close to the date where he will lose a game check.

When Hines Ward held out in Pittsburgh, I remember the worst case scenario for him returning being either week 8 or 10 - I'm leaning toward 8. After that, the players lose credit for the year in regards to their pension. Unfortunately I can't find a link to an article, I may have just heard it over the radio.

Edit: Here is something, but it talks about if he sits the entire year it won't count toward his contract.

Mr. Parker is in the middle of this as well.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_359413.html

Parker would like to avoid such a scenario, although he offered no assurances when asked if Ward would make it to camp - or if he'd even play for the Steelers this season.

"Do I expect it?" he said. "I can use the term, 'Hope.' I would hope it would work out. I tend to be a positive person.

"Parker said he never has had a client hold out an entire season in his 20 years as a players representative. If Ward turns out to be the first, it could be costly, considering he could be fined for missed games, potentially forfeit 25 percent of his signing bonus ($500,000) and remain the property of the Steelers for '06, thereby missing out on free-agency. "

He only referred to two guys out of what, 75? I get it was JP and Edwards, its their keesters that are going to get killed if Peters doesn't play or plays out of step due to the missed time.

The article confirmed what a number of us have said all along, that his absence from camp isn't the issue, the team flatly refuses to give him a new deal this year and he flatly refuses to play without one:

"They also have made it known to Peters' agent, Eugene Parker, they're not willing to renegotiate 2008, insisting any additional money will be paid next year forward."

If either of them are bluffing, the team or Peters, we will know soon enough as pretty soon he is going to start missing game paychecks. Until then, this holdout just doesn't really cost Peters anything and as we saw with Walker's near injury, you never know how the deck could be reshuffled.

As for the 7 other agents, they are Parker's competitors and I bet they would love to see him get fired so they can take a run at a new client. Besides, they are agents for goodness sakes, if they told the truth to anyone besides their clients they wouldn't be doing their jobs.

Mickey, its always entertaining reading your responses. When tide of reality is rushing by, you still manage to swim upstream with your own alternate version. What's next? Will you be explaining how the Earth is flat and everything in the universe revolves around it? :thumbsup:

PTR

Ralph has said many times that the team will not be sold while he's alive. Ralphs actions have proven, for better or worse, that he does not care what happens to this team when he's gone. He's not setting things up for the estate sale.

Peters has nothing to do with the selling price of the team, but it may have a lot to do with a stuborn 89 year old man.

Or it has everything to do with good business practice, just like everyone quoted in the article agrees with. Only the members of the cult of Jason Peters would disagree.

PTR

Or it has everything to do with good business practice, just like everyone quoted in the article agrees with. Only the members of the cult of Jason Peters would disagree.

PTR

If it is such a good business practice, why don't other teams follow it?

What does Russ Brandon know that Robert Kraft doesn't?