PETERS...

I hate math, so I am going to see if I can get somebody else to do it for me: Anybody have any clue how much money Peters has lost to date at the $15,116 per day rate?

If I'm looking at this right, so far he has lost close to a quarter of a million dollars and approximately 20% of my respect for him as a Buffalo Bill.

Do they reinstate fans' respect for the guy too?

How dare he put his interests and those of his family before ours? Where does he get off doing what everyone else does, get the biggest paycheck for his hard work as he can get?

Here is someone whines that "but oh gosh, he signed a contract, where is his honor?" To which I reply, if any player ever challenged these "contracts" in court, they would be unenforceable as the NFL is a monopoly. If a player like Peters gets pushed too far and challenges the system all the way, say good bye to the NFL draft and all these free agency rules. They would all be free agents from the get-go, just like you and me. So the NFL gets to be a monopoly and the players accept it and the players get to break contracts.

He hasn't reported yet, has he? Today was deadline day. He obviously doesn't care about losing a year's NFL service. I guess he doesn't need the pension.

PTR

I am sure you are right. I don't know who and I don't know when but somebody is going to end up paying him a lot of money, enough so that the pension set back will be peanuts by comparison.

To which I reply, if any player ever challenged these "contracts" in court, they would be unenforceable as the NFL is a monopoly. If a player like Peters gets pushed too far and challenges the system all the way, say good bye to the NFL draft and all these free agency rules. They would all be free agents from the get-go, just like you and me.

Really??? Gosh, all those brilliant agents & attorneys out there, & not one of them realizes this???? You'd think there'd be at least one out there as smart as you!

I am sure you are right. I don't know who and I don't know when but somebody is going to end up paying him a lot of money, enough so that the pension set back will be peanuts by comparison.

You keep assuming that, but let's say Peters sits out two years. Is anyone going to pay him elite money for sitting on his duff for two seasons? I seriously doubt it. In fact I think he becomes seriously devalued if he misses one year.

Some people assume the Bills will get all panicky and trade Peters. Why? If he's not playing he costs the Bills nothing, yet they still hold his rights. If Peters misses a year the Bills will just move on and keep Peters at home. A reward for being a grade A douchebag.

That's why the Bills hold all the cards. Yes, it will suck if the Bills lose Peters for 2008. But we have to play the games. And once we start playing, after a while, we have to leave Peters behind. Once we cross that point, Peters is toast. He has no leverage. In fact you'll see him beg the Bills to take him back, and the union will probably get involved saying the Bills have play him or trade him.

PTR

Ummm... The NFL is a Monopoly? What about the Arena League?

A person doesn't have a "right" to play in the NFL, just like I don't have a "right" to work at IBM, Microsoft, or any other company. Any player who doesn't want to sign w/ the team who drafts him, can simply find work in the field they trained for in college. Or, they can join the CFL or Arena League if they want to play football.

I honestly don't think it will come to this... (I think Peters is going to show up before the end of Camp... he & his agent are banking on his replacements being horrific and forcing the Bills to come crawling to him - but I think Brandon is going to stick to his guns regardless).

But I have another question or two for those who know where to find this information - or know it offhand...

Peters has until week 10 to report in order to burn 1 year off of his contract obligation...

What if he shows up and he's out of shape - or injured... or the Bills simply don't care at that point?

What forces the Bills to put him on the active roster or cut him? I'm assuming he'll be on the non-football Injury list as a holdout... which is where I think they put these oddball classifications to hold rights but not count as a roster spot. Will he have to petition the league for reinstatement or something to prove he is willing to be on the team?

What if he shows up week 11? He won't get credit for a season... but he'd at least be able to get a few game checks - or can he not even show up that late?

I honestly don't think it will come to this... (I think Peters is going to show up before the end of Camp... he & his agent are banking on his replacements being horrific and forcing the Bills to come crawling to him - but I think Brandon is going to stick to his guns regardless).

But I have another question or two for those who know where to find this information - or know it offhand...

Peters has until week 10 to report in order to burn 1 year off of his contract obligation...

What if he shows up and he's out of shape - or injured... or the Bills simply don't care at that point?

What forces the Bills to put him on the active roster or cut him? I'm assuming he'll be on the non-football Injury list as a holdout... which is where I think they put these oddball classifications to hold rights but not count as a roster spot. Will he have to petition the league for reinstatement or something to prove he is willing to be on the team?

What if he shows up week 11? He won't get credit for a season... but he'd at least be able to get a few game checks - or can he not even show up that late?

Well, many here first speculated that he will show up for camp on Aug 8th. Well, that didn't happen. In my mind, it has become a stale issue. I doubt he is inserted in the line-up if he reports mid-season esp. with the Bills O being new and him having missed significant playing time with others on the OL. If things sour in the negotiations, I can see the Bills trading him for some high draft picks.