On second thought I am liking Peters strategy now

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Strategy my As*!

The man has a contract.

IF he is a MAN, he will honor his CONTRACT! :blink:

Why should players be vilified for not honoring their contracts, when they can be cut at any time and not receive any of the money. No guaranteed contracts = players on smaller deals are working on a year-to-year basis.

This is a setup for next offseason negotiations, IMO.

Au contraire...

"Peters had surgery to repair a sports hernia shortly after last season. The Bills don’t know if he’s fully recovered because he has not been in contact with the team trainers or medical staff.

"It’s customary for injured players to rehabilitate under the supervision of team trainers at the Bills’ facility. Teams also monitor players’ progress when they are out of town.

"That’s been impossible with Peters because no one has seen or heard from him since shortly after the surgery in January."

:blink:

If that's true, than I sure hope the Bills coaching staff is not preparing under the assumption that he will be playing on opening day. Sounds like the guy could be pulling a Ricky Williams and just be off the deep end.

In any event, the Bills should not give one iota here. I'd tell him that for every day of missed practice it will be one additional month before the team will even consider discussing a new contract. He doesn't like it? Let him sit for 3 years getting fat and lazy and then see what kind of contact he gets.

Why should players be vilified for not honoring their contracts, when they can be cut at any time and not receive any of the money. No guaranteed contracts = players on smaller deals are working on a year-to-year basis.

What about those huge signing bonuses? Ever hear of a player returing any of that money to the team?

This is a setup for next offseason negotiations, IMO.

If it is, it's a really stupid strategy. What if he has a bad year? Then all he's accomplished with this holdout is to piss off Ralph. The smarter thing would have been to show up for all the OTAs, report to camp, play his ass off - and VERBALIZE his discontent over his contract in a more discrete, more appropriate, and more mature manner - but I guess no one's ever gonna accuse Jason Peters of being smart!

It's a poor strategy. I don't know how you are supposed to work out a new deal by not speaking. I wonder if he was learning sign language when he should have been at Mini Camp.

Yes i understand he has a agent but in the end the player should have the final say on everything.

This "not speaking" meme is getting out of hand. Go back and read the articles where Brandon says he has had "only brief discussions" with Parker on Peters, that means they talked, and did so more than once. He also said that in working with Parker on Hardy, the "bulk" of the conversations were about Hardy and since "bulk" does not equal "all", that means they did talk about Peters.

Have the conversations been brief? Of course. How long does it take to say: "Jason won't play without a new contract" and "We won't give him a new one until at least next year" and finally "Okay, call us if you change your mind".

You don't need a G-8 summit to say "no".

This isn't a case where Peters has asked for more money than they want to give. They are not interested in renegotiating a new deal with him this year. Allen Wilson's article says just that.

The question is whether the Bills are willing to take the field without him, with Chambers and Walker and how far is Peters willing to go. The hold out doesn't hurt Peters at all. He can end it any time and they will waive all the fines. As he waits, he gets a little more vacation time and there is always a chance they will blink. I have been saying for awhile now that so far, this is a no-lose proposition for Peters.

This "not speaking" meme is getting out of hand. Go back and read the articles where Brandon says he has had "only brief discussions" with Parker on Peters, that means they talked, and did so more than once. He also said that in working with Parker on Hardy, the "bulk" of the conversations were about Hardy and since "bulk" does not equal "all", that means they did talk about Peters.

Have the conversations been brief? Of course. How long does it take to say: "Jason won't play without a new contract" and "We won't give him a new one until at least next year" and finally "Okay, call us if you change your mind".

This isn't a case where Peters has asked for more money than they want to give. They are not interested in renegotiating a new deal with him this year. Allen Wilson's article says just that.

The question is whether the Bills are willing to take the field without him, with Chambers and Walker and how far is Peters willing to go. The hold out doesn't hurt Peters at all. He can end it any time and they will waive all the fines. As he waits, he gets a little more vacation time and there is always a chance they will blink. I have been saying for awhile now that so far, this is a no-lose proposition for Peters.

Not exactly. If the Bills win without him and he sits out until game 11, he basically makes no money for the year and the Bills still own him for 2 more year at least, and can own him for another 2 with the franchise tag. And they might have even inserted verbiage in his last contract allowing them to recoup his signing bonus for something like this.

Also, there's a difference between negotiating and a player/his agent demanding a certain pay range and nothing else.

I believe it hurts the overall gel that developed between this team's O-Line this past season, they seem pretty buddy-buddy and just as the gel was starting to hold a piece broke off. Now I'm all for not bending to a whiny demand, (Or, not so whiny in this case, due to the complete silence), but if you finally have a young team that can make some serious noise in the NFL, maaaaybe you should toss some cash at the guy.

I'd rather you find me an article that quote Brandon saying he spoke with Peters, not Parker, but I think we both know that none exist.

I know how for the Bills are willing to go, and I don't really give a rat's ass how far Peters will go. The team will move on without him, if necessary.

My only concern for Peters right now, as a compassionate human being, is that he's not seriously f'd up, either physically or mentally, because his behavior borders on the bizarre.

Peters' refusal to talk just shows his immaturity. Maybe he does deserve to be the highest paid lineman on the Buffalo Bills or perhaps even the league, but he's forgetting one thing -- Dockery & Walker were free agents and he's not! They earned their right to shop the open market and pull in the big offers by HONORING their old contracts until they were free and clear. Brandon has offered to discuss a new contract. What else does Peters want? Does he want Brandon to knock on his front door bearing gifts and beg him to return?! He's got to come into camp. I think Brandon will make good on his stated willingness to discuss a new contract, but this silent treatment is not going to work out well for him if he continues with it.

1. It depends on what you mean by "low priority". In one sense, I believe you are right, it's a very low priority because Parker is simply saying "sit and wait this out", and see what happens (meaning if the Bills cave at all). So there is no work to do for Parker, there are no calls to make, there is no planning or anything, and he can do whatever he wants with his time because all of his work for Jason Peters right now has been done. It's very low priority, almost non-existent. He could go for days without talking to anyone about it because there is nothing to say.

On the other hand, I guarantee you that the Jason Peters situation and client is one of his top priorities. It could be the very top. Because Jason Peters is probably going to sign a contract as big or bigger than anyone Parker has ever represented and he has represented some of the biggest stars in the game. And that means more money in Parker's own and his agency's pockets.

2. I don't see how anyone over the age of nine can actually believe there has been no contact with the Bills. And that the Bills don't know what Jason Peters contract demands are. That is impossible. Of course they issued demands and the Bills are completely clear on what they are. There simply isn't anything to talk about because Parker is saying we want a new contract this year and the Bills are saying he has to play under his old one this year. What is there to say until one side changes their stance? And it's likely not going to be the Bills.

Bingo, on all counts.

In fact, this issue was probably broached very early in the year, and the parties have probably known for a very long time that they are on completely different pages.

If Peters let's this little game of chicken go on beyond a couple of weeks, it is going to start impacting his ability to have a strong start to the season, which could severely impact his leverage for future negotiations.

Bingo, on all counts.

Bingo, my ass.

1) Jason can enjoy sitting on his hands for his holdout period. For his sake, he better doing something to keep in shape, or when he finally comes in one of his understudies might have his job by virture of being much better prepared.

2) It is 'impossible' to believe that the Bills don't know the dimensions of Peters' demands. That's not all that hard to believe given the incommunicado stance heretofore taken by Peters and agent.

BTW, point one, as presented, does a good deal of destroying the logic of point 2.

Bingo, my ass.

1) Jason can enjoy sitting on his hands for his holdout period. For his sake, he better doing something to keep in shape, or when he finally comes in one of his understudies might have his job by virture of being much better prepared.

2) It is 'impossible' to believe that the Bills don't know the dimensions of Peters' demands. That's not all that hard to believe given the incommunicado stance heretofore taken by Peters and agent.

BTW, point one, as presented, does a good deal of destroying the logic of point 2.

This is what I don't get. The fans like yourself who believe that there "literally" has been no communication with the Bills, or next to no communication, and no negotiation at all, and the Bills really don't know what he wants because they haven't spoken to him or his agent about it. In order for you to believe that, you must also believe the following conversation took place:

Jason Peters: How is my contract situation going?

Eugene Parker: Nothing to report. Sit tight.

Jason Peters: Are we close at all?

Eugene Parker: Not sure. I don't know what they are offering. Or whether they are serious about doing a deal.

Jason Peters: Why not?

Eugene Parker: I haven't called them. Or talked to them. Even in the room when we did the Hardy deal. And don't plan on it. They need to call me, and I'm not answering the phone.

Jason Peters: Sounds good. I won't either.

Eugene Parker: That will show 'em we mean business.

This is what I don't get. The fans like yourself who believe that there "literally" has been no communication with the Bills, or next to no communication, and no negotiation at all, and the Bills really don't know what he wants because they haven't spoken to him or his agent about it. In order for you to believe that, you must also believe the following conversation took place:

Jason Peters: How is my contract situation going?

Eugene Parker: Nothing to report. Sit tight.

Jason Peters: Are we close at all?

Eugene Parker: Not sure. I don't know what they are offering. Or whether they are serious about doing a deal.

Jason Peters: Why not?

Eugene Parker: I haven't called them. Or talked to them. Even in the room when we did the Hardy deal. And don't plan on it. They need to call me, and I'm not answering the phone.

Jason Peters: Sounds good. I won't either.

Eugene Parker: That will show 'em we mean business.

Actually, I see the conversation going more like this...

Peters: How's my contract situation going?

Parker: What contract situation? You signed on for a big raise 2 years ago, you're locked up for the next 3 - maybe longer.

Peters: Waaaahhhh!!!!!!! Waaaahhhhhh!!!!!! I want mo money!!!!!!! Waaahhhh!!!!!!!!

Parker: Well, have you bothered to tell that to anyone at One Bills Drive?

Peters: Waaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!! Waaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! They'll be sorry....I'll eat rocks....I'll hold my breath til I turn blue....Waaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!

Coming to camp with Chambers as the 3rd tackle was inexcusable. Just goes to show the lack of attention to the OL this organization has continually shown. They finally got fed up and went out a bought a couple starters last offseason, then got lucky and had a virtually injury free year and forgot all about the fact that they need a backup plan. If you want to become a winning franchise in the NFL right now, you need good QB play. A QB needs good OL play. Gotta' be covered in those two areas first and foremost.

Peters will come back, but what if he or Walker get injured? I don't think Edwards will survive 3 games without either of those guys blocking their position.

Hey, they can stick one of the many DBs at LT. Ya figure they can at least slow down a speed rusher, right?

Come on, we don't need depth on the line. keep them Dbs comin'..... :rolleyes:

2 new things I thought of re: Peters...

1) I think he's waiting for at least the first PS game... He is banking on his replacement tanking and hoping the Bills come crawling to him...

2) If he holds out for much longer than that... I would bet money the Bills will draft a stud LT next draft... as insurance. (Too bad he didn't start pulling shiznit until after the draft... Someone here is starting to sound wiser every day...)

Peters' refusal to talk just shows his immaturity. Maybe he does deserve to be the highest paid lineman on the Buffalo Bills or perhaps even the league, but he's forgetting one thing -- Dockery & Walker were free agents and he's not! They earned their right to shop the open market and pull in the big offers by HONORING their old contracts until they were free and clear. Brandon has offered to discuss a new contract. What else does Peters want? Does he want Brandon to knock on his front door bearing gifts and beg him to return?! He's got to come into camp. I think Brandon will make good on his stated willingness to discuss a new contract, but this silent treatment is not going to work out well for him if he continues with it.

It seems the only people we know for sure that Peters has not spoken to are the media.

Any other story about contact between Peters and the team (or lack thereof) has been spun by the Bills or its media outlet to put the Bills in the most positive light

If the Bills do indeed have no idea about his recovery from injury, then why not? They couldn't check up on him?

My guess is the coaches and medical staff know everything they need to knowq- but Brandon personally has not spoken to Peters so he can say with a stright face he can deny contact.

Have there been any quote from any coach that he has been in contact with Peters since january?

Bingo, my ass.

Oh well, of course if the media hasn't reported that they've spoken, than it must be true! They can't possibly have spoken! After all, the media knows EVERYTHING there is to know.

Yes, it's REALLY plausible that not a word has been spoken between agent and Bills about Peters' contract, and he has instructed his client to sit home, not respond to anyone on the Bills, and somehow the Bills will still figure out what he wants and then of course negotiate the contract with themselves. :wallbash: