On second thought I am liking Peters strategy now

The mods may want to collapse this into one of the many existing Peters threads, but I think that my views (which have already been offered on TSW if so I apologize for the redundancy but I cannot keep up with all the Peters threads).

My thinking is thus:

1. Is there any argument that Peters/Parker can make which will win the day for him in this dispute?

I think not. First off, the only audience he has to convince of anything is the Bills org. There is nothing he can say to them which is going to make them give him a huge contract. Perhaps. if he pulled off some great bit of Obamaesque speechifying he could so convince the public of his views that these customers would pressure the Bills.

No one mistakes Peters for a wordsmith last I checked. There simply is little he can say that will win the day for him and if you argue that there is then what is it?

2. Should Peters open back channels to the media, the team or his fellow players to help his case?

I would say no. If there was some "semi-official" back channel which provided reliable info for him, this back channel would then be beseiged by the media and fans looking for info. They would then truly be distracted (if it were Dockery or another teammate) and even worse folks would take even greater authority to put words in Peters' mouth if he was running an active info campaign to the media.

Quite frankly he is helped the most by letting folks imaginations run wild and then to watch these theories (the more ornate and complicated they are the easier it is for them to collapse)fall apart on their own without him having to take the time to correct things.

3. How will Peters win his case then?

The answer is reality. If Langston Walker comes off the field with the barest bit of a hobble. If Chambers gets used and abused by the LDE in camp (as apparently has already happened with Kelsay) or in any of the first couple of pre-season games then the cry from fans, the media, and all Bills stakeholders will be to sign Peters to a long-term new deal quick.

Peters well may not win this game if Walker and or Chambers prove to be productive. However, even in this case, when Peters chooses to waltz back into camp he immediately becomes the #1LT, Chambers goes back to the bench and Walker goes back to the right side.

The media starved by Peters for anything authoritative, will be reduced to ranting about Parker with no real effect or against the cypher Peters who simply ignores them. Actually, to a fair degree they will begin to watch Walker/Chambers with a fine tooth comb and likely will rant against their play (and remotely against the FO for allowing this situation to occur.

All in all, it looks like very intelligent strategy for Peters to just shut up. If reality deals him poor cards to play with because Chambers/Walker play well, then he waltzes into camp with two pre-season games to go (either 3 or 1 depending on what he thinks he and the rest of the OL need) announces he is sorry there was a dispute, he has paid dearly for it, and now all his time and attention is going to the getting ready for the next game and the season.

It may or may not work for him depending on reality. but I like the strategy.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a poor strategy. I don't know how you are supposed to work out a new deal by not speaking. I wonder if he was learning sign language when he should have been at Mini Camp.

Yes i understand he has a agent but in the end the player should have the final say on everything.

So wait.. you like it now?

Or is it just that maybe you understand it more?

Seems to me that it hurts the team.

Understand it more is probably a more accurate way of phrasing it as a Bills fan. Though I must say that after reading so many folks state a clear opinion that he and his agent were deranged, understanding it (I think at least) gives me a lot more respect for it that actually makes a word such as "like" a not inappropriate description of my feelings.

Actually if this really does explain what and why they are doing what they are doing, I do like some of the side effects:

A. This forces the Bills to plan a little bit for altering their OL line-up if an injury occurs. I think both Walker and Chambers will benefit from trying to make up for Peters.

B. I found the explanations based on Peters not really being recovered from the injury which bounced him from the Pro Bowl a little bizarre but still troubling. As a Bills fan I like the explanation in this thread better.

C. I like Wittle as a player but I think he is on the backend of his career and the Bills need another credible OL back-up. If the discomfort caused by the Peters situation makes the braintrust hit the waiver wire hard for another back-up OL player I will not be displeased.

Thus like is probably not too strong a word for this Bills fan.

PG,

You assume that this is a "strategy." I don't think it necessarily is.

I have a feeling Peters is low-priority for Parker, and Peters has just checked out until it's all resolved. I think George Wilson commented that Peters typically goes AWOL in the offseason--perhaps why he's so silent now.

As far as I am aware of, there has never been a holdout in the NFL where the player or player's agent have cut off communictation before issuing any demands.

I think Peters is sitting on his couch with a box of Twinkies watching his favorite daytime soap operas, all the while wondering if he'll ever get a chance to be on "Dancing with the Stars". He thinks to himself, "I look better in a muscle shirt than Jason Taylor." After a while he'll snap out of his day dreaming and sugar induced vegetative state, realize that training camp has started, and he's daily being docked $15,000 in double cheeseburgers from McDonalds. Then and only then will he return, unless the lead charachter of "Days of our Lives" goes on his death bed. Then, it just may be too much for poor Jason Peters to pull away from his TV for practice for 5 days out of his week.

I think the most telling is the comment in other threads from OBD that they expect Peters to play,regardless of his contract because he still has 3 years left. Given that very comment and I agree with others who have said it,there isn't much for Peters to say,until the Bills or management come forward and say a new deal can be worked out or done or he's gone Mike Williams and doesn't want to play Football anymore..

I think regardless of what the Bills say,they know what Peters wants,doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.I honeslty believe if there was any discussion at all about a new deal,he'd be in camp. But the Bills seem to be more on the side of he has a deal and should be in camp.

Of course I'm thinking last night about a great conspiracy theory by the Bills and Peters to protect him. This includes the thought that the surgery didn't go well or the healing process was more then expected. Players who do not report to camp and are holding out for a deal don't have to be put on a PUP list,nore do any injuries have to be disclosed obviously because the player is not at camp and participating..so no media questions every day about why he isn't practicing,what's the timetable for his return. If this were actually the case, the injury/recovery time could be concealed for weeks with out anyone even knowing.Yeah,I know,I doubt it too,but it seemed interesting.. :blink:

Who cares anyway? All that's important is that the fat lard better not be injured, and he better be in PERFECT game shape if and when he decides to come back. Because if he comes back NOT in shape he's no better than Chambers or Walker. If I were the Bills I'd be inviting any and all FA Left Tackles to camp, because this is getting stupid now. Look how quick they replaced Bowen. This is what they need to do here.

If I were the Bills I'd be inviting any and all FA Left Tackles to camp, because this is getting stupid now. Look how quick they replaced Bowen. This is what they need to do here.

Mike....a quick story about Bill Parcells when he was the coach of the jests.....

Jumbo Elliot, a great LT, suffered a long term injury during a game. At the post game press conference, a reported asked Parcells "if he plans to get a LT to replace Jumbo Elliot." Parcells immediately lost his temper. He asked the reporter to tell him exactly how he shoud do so, and said, "Should I go to the Left Tackle Store and pick one up?" :blink:

The point of this is that there is no chance of replacing Peters. Teams will not let go of good, let alone great LTs. It never happens. There might be a runnng back or even a wideout or 2 who fell through the cracks, but the waiver wires offer the Greg Jermans of this world at LT.

There might have been a fighting chance if they drafted differently, but we both saw what happened in April yet again.

Who cares anyway? All that's important is that the fat lard better not be injured, and he better be in PERFECT game shape if and when he decides to come back. Because if he comes back NOT in shape he's no better than Chambers or Walker. If I were the Bills I'd be inviting any and all FA Left Tackles to camp, because this is getting stupid now. Look how quick they replaced Bowen. This is what they need to do here.

It was stupid to start with. He comes in out of shape, no conception of the new playbook, and with uncertain health and he performs at a backslide level, good luck at getting a new contract. Could he have chosen a more counterproductive 'negotiating 'strategy? Doubtful.

PG,

I have a feeling Peters is low-priority for Parker, and Peters has just checked out until it's all resolved. I think George Wilson commented that Peters typically goes AWOL in the offseason--perhaps why he's so silent now.

As far as I am aware of, there has never been a holdout in the NFL where the player or player's agent have cut off communictation before issuing any demands.

1. It depends on what you mean by "low priority". In one sense, I believe you are right, it's a very low priority because Parker is simply saying "sit and wait this out", and see what happens (meaning if the Bills cave at all). So there is no work to do for Parker, there are no calls to make, there is no planning or anything, and he can do whatever he wants with his time because all of his work for Jason Peters right now has been done. It's very low priority, almost non-existent. He could go for days without talking to anyone about it because there is nothing to say.

On the other hand, I guarantee you that the Jason Peters situation and client is one of his top priorities. It could be the very top. Because Jason Peters is probably going to sign a contract as big or bigger than anyone Parker has ever represented and he has represented some of the biggest stars in the game. And that means more money in Parker's own and his agency's pockets.

2. I don't see how anyone over the age of nine can actually believe there has been no contact with the Bills. And that the Bills don't know what Jason Peters contract demands are. That is impossible. Of course they issued demands and the Bills are completely clear on what they are. There simply isn't anything to talk about because Parker is saying we want a new contract this year and the Bills are saying he has to play under his old one this year. What is there to say until one side changes their stance? And it's likely not going to be the Bills.

PG,

It really depends on what you mean by low priority. If you mean low active effort, I agree, because I GUESS that Parker has counseled Peters that there is nothing he can say or do short of accepting whatever the Bills are willing to offer him for an extension which will get him a new contract.

Logistically and contractually the Bills have the leverage in this situation as Peters signed a deal (which in a world not driven by the modern financial ethic he would honor but it would simply be naive not to recognize that though honoring his word is the correct thing to do our version of capitalism routinely rewards folks who chose dollars over their word at the time- this does not justify what Peters is doing at all but it would simply be naive not to recognize that the Golden Rule has mutated in our society).

There is nothing Peters can say and no argument he can make that will move the Bills to a position of giving him what he could get IF there was a free market for his services. However, he signed a deal which eliminated that free market for 3 more years. Now that reality has changed he wants to operate in a market for the new reality (he is a Pro Bowl LT rather than the old free market (he was a promising UDFA who had become a starting RT).

Activity and negotiating is a low priority for Peters and Parker quite correctly as there is nothing really to negotiate about in the market he already signed a deal in.

However, I think it would be simply naive to call Peters a low-priority for Parker overall. Parker has shown every sign in his past activities of assigning priority based on the cash money he can make. IF Peters and the Bills choose to operate in a free market for LT services, there is so much money to be made here by Parker that it would simply be foolish for him not to make Peters a big priority.

Peters is only a limp (Walker from even a temporary muscle pull) and a questionable performance (word is that the young Chambers is already being taken to school by Kelsay) away from making it big time in the Bills interest to operate in a new market for bidding for Peters services.

Its not there yet, but given what I now think is the likelihood that Peters will sit for a couple of games worth of fines we will see if reality changes.

The mods may want to collapse this into one of the many existing Peters threads, but I think that my views (which have already been offered on TSW if so I apologize for the redundancy but I cannot keep up with all the Peters threads).

My thinking is thus:

1. Is there any argument that Peters/Parker can make which will win the day for him in this dispute?

I think not. First off, the only audience he has to convince of anything is the Bills org. There is nothing he can say to them which is going to make them give him a huge contract. Perhaps. if he pulled off some great bit of Obamaesque speechifying he could so convince the public of his views that these customers would pressure the Bills.

No one mistakes Peters for a wordsmith last I checked. There simply is little he can say that will win the day for him and if you argue that there is then what is it?

2. Should Peters open back channels to the media, the team or his fellow players to help his case?

I would say no. If there was some "semi-official" back channel which provided reliable info for him, this back channel would then be beseiged by the media and fans looking for info. They would then truly be distracted (if it were Dockery or another teammate) and even worse folks would take even greater authority to put words in Peters' mouth if he was running an active info campaign to the media.

Quite frankly he is helped the most by letting folks imaginations run wild and then to watch these theories (the more ornate and complicated they are the easier it is for them to collapse)fall apart on their own without him having to take the time to correct things.

3. How will Peters win his case then?

The answer is reality. If Langston Walker comes off the field with the barest bit of a hobble. If Chambers gets used and abused by the LDE in camp (as apparently has already happened with Kelsay) or in any of the first couple of pre-season games then the cry from fans, the media, and all Bills stakeholders will be to sign Peters to a long-term new deal quick.

Peters well may not win this game if Walker and or Chambers prove to be productive. However, even in this case, when Peters chooses to waltz back into camp he immediately becomes the #1LT, Chambers goes back to the bench and Walker goes back to the right side.

The media starved by Peters for anything authoritative, will be reduced to ranting about Parker with no real effect or against the cypher Peters who simply ignores them. Actually, to a fair degree they will begin to watch Walker/Chambers with a fine tooth comb and likely will rant against their play (and remotely against the FO for allowing this situation to occur.

All in all, it looks like very intelligent strategy for Peters to just shut up. If reality deals him poor cards to play with because Chambers/Walker play well, then he waltzes into camp with two pre-season games to go (either 3 or 1 depending on what he thinks he and the rest of the OL need) announces he is sorry there was a dispute, he has paid dearly for it, and now all his time and attention is going to the getting ready for the next game and the season.

It may or may not work for him depending on reality. but I like the strategy.

Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe Peters never fully recovered from his off-season surgery and wants to strike a large contract with a large $$$$$$$$$$ before anyone finds out he can't play to the NFL caliber he once did? :blink:

Mike....a quick story about Bill Parcells when he was the coach of the jests.....

Jumbo Elliot, a great LT, suffered a long term injury during a game. At the post game press conference, a reported asked Parcells "if he plans to get a LT to replace Jumbo Elliot." Parcells immediately lost his temper. He asked the reporter to tell him exactly how he shoud do so, and said, "Should I go to the Left Tackle Store and pick one up?" :blink:

The point of this is that there is no chance of replacing Peters. Teams will not let go of good, let alone great LTs. It never happens. There might be a runnng back or even a wideout or 2 who fell through the cracks, but the waiver wires offer the Greg Jermans of this world at LT.

There might have been a fighting chance if they drafted differently, but we both saw what happened in April yet again.

Coming to camp with Chambers as the 3rd tackle was inexcusable. Just goes to show the lack of attention to the OL this organization has continually shown. They finally got fed up and went out a bought a couple starters last offseason, then got lucky and had a virtually injury free year and forgot all about the fact that they need a backup plan. If you want to become a winning franchise in the NFL right now, you need good QB play. A QB needs good OL play. Gotta' be covered in those two areas first and foremost.

Peters will come back, but what if he or Walker get injured? I don't think Edwards will survive 3 games without either of those guys blocking their position.

Understand it more is probably a more accurate way of phrasing it as a Bills fan. Though I must say that after reading so many folks state a clear opinion that he and his agent were deranged, understanding it (I think at least) gives me a lot more respect for it that actually makes a word such as "like" a not inappropriate description of my feelings.

Actually if this really does explain what and why they are doing what they are doing, I do like some of the side effects:

A. This forces the Bills to plan a little bit for altering their OL line-up if an injury occurs. I think both Walker and Chambers will benefit from trying to make up for Peters.

B. I found the explanations based on Peters not really being recovered from the injury which bounced him from the Pro Bowl a little bizarre but still troubling. As a Bills fan I like the explanation in this thread better.

C. I like Wittle as a player but I think he is on the backend of his career and the Bills need another credible OL back-up. If the discomfort caused by the Peters situation makes the braintrust hit the waiver wire hard for another back-up OL player I will not be displeased.

Thus like is probably not too strong a word for this Bills fan.

Well, when you explain your logic this clearly there is not much more I can say. Way to kill an argument. :blink:

Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe Peters never fully recovered from his off-season surgery and wants to strike a large contract with a large $$$$$$$$$$ before anyone finds out he can't play to the NFL caliber he once did? :blink:

I find it somewhat hard to believe that the Bills don't know what the status of his surgery is. There had to be checkups, rehab, etc...... which is all paid for by the Bills. Someone would know if he isn't doing these things. They also should have gotten reports from the doctors on the success of the surgery. I also doubt that the Bills haven't spoken to Peter's agent at some point. You can tell that the Bills are tight lipped about the whole thing.

I find it somewhat hard to believe that the Bills don't know what the status of his surgery is. There had to be checkups, rehab, etc...... which is all paid for by the Bills. Someone would know if he isn't doing these things. They also should have gotten reports from the doctors on the success of the surgery. I also doubt that the Bills haven't spoken to Peter's agent at some point. You can tell that the Bills are tight lipped about the whole thing.

Au contraire...

"Peters had surgery to repair a sports hernia shortly after last season. The Bills don’t know if he’s fully recovered because he has not been in contact with the team trainers or medical staff.

"It’s customary for injured players to rehabilitate under the supervision of team trainers at the Bills’ facility. Teams also monitor players’ progress when they are out of town.

"That’s been impossible with Peters because no one has seen or heard from him since shortly after the surgery in January."

Link

Agreed!! Strange things are a foot a One Bills Drive. :blink: