On second thought I am liking Peters strategy now

If it is, it's a really stupid strategy.

The stupid strategy is the Bills overpaying Walker and Dockery. Had the franchise drafted well and actually "developed" its O-Line, then Peters could remain the highest player on his line, as he rightfully should.

What if he has a bad year? Then all he's accomplished with this holdout is to piss off Ralph. The smarter thing would have been to show up for all the OTAs, report to camp, play his ass off - and VERBALIZE his discontent over his contract in a more discrete, more appropriate, and more mature manner - but I guess no one's ever gonna accuse Jason Peters of being smart!

Yeah it'd be nice if he could be a good soldier like Chris Kelsay and Kyle Williams. Those guys have no choice because they suck. Peters doesn't have to, no matter what you or I say. While I think the Bills are playing this right by sitting tight, I don't fault Peters for holding out either.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stupid strategy is the Bills overpaying Walker and Dockery. Had the franchise drafted well and actually "developed" its O-Line, then Peters could remain the highest player on his line, as he rightfully should.

And as an undrafted TE, converted to right tackle, then switched to left tackle where he had one good season, I'm not convinced the Bills need to placate the whiney B word just yet. They gave him a nice extended contract, which he happily signed. If he continues to play at a high level, I'm sure the Bills will reward him - that seems to be the current management's M.O.

Yeah it'd be nice if he could be a good soldier like Chris Kelsay and Kyle Williams. Those guys have no choice because they suck. Peters doesn't have to, no matter what you or I say. While I think the Bills are playing this right by sitting tight, I don't fault Peters for holding out either.

I'm not asking anything extraordinary from Peters - just that he honor his contract, and act like a professional. I guess only time will tell if Peters needs to 'be a good soldier', no matter what you or I say, but I say he'll be in camp this Friday - WITHOUT a new deal.

Not exactly. If the Bills win without him and he sits out until game 11, he basically makes no money for the year and the Bills still own him for 2 more year at least, and can own him for another 2 with the franchise tag. And they might have even inserted verbiage in his last contract allowing them to recoup his signing bonus for something like this.

Also, there's a difference between negotiating and a player/his agent demanding a certain pay range and nothing else.

We have no idea what they have said we just know they have talked thus, the endlessly repeated assertion that they haven't talked is simply not true. And what I said was that so far, this holdout has cost Peters nothing. "If the Bills win" is a pretty big "if". Have you seen Kirk Chambers play?? Assuming they do and he still holds out, the bills will have a choice, trading a player who won't play for them and get some good value or, out of spite, let his sit and rot. What do you think they will do? They will trade him and he will get that big deal he wants from someone else.

That all gets pretty speculative. My point was so far it costs him nothing and he can end it anytime before the regular season at little or no cost for the effort.

While sitting in traffic today... listening to the griping on ESPN radio of the story with no end... {Favre... which someone even called Favregate for some inane reason}... An interesting thought entered my mind...

The Favre story is the mirror image of the Peters story...

Way too much information on how a player wants to be on his Team which would rather the player stay retired.

While with Peters...

No information at all on a player who doesn't want to show up for a team who really wants him to show up.

Maybe Favre needs to go back in retirement for Peters to show up... :unsure:

I'd rather you find me an article that quote Brandon saying he spoke with Peters, not Parker, but I think we both know that none exist.

I know how for the Bills are willing to go, and I don't really give a rat's ass how far Peters will go. The team will move on without him, if necessary.

My only concern for Peters right now, as a compassionate human being, is that he's not seriously f'd up, either physically or mentally, because his behavior borders on the bizarre.

It would be unheard of for the player to talk about his contract with the GM, that is what the agent is for. In fact, it might even be illegal to do so.

What is bizarre about this, that he isn't mouthing off in public like Chad Johnson? This is a hold out, they happen every year, all over the league.

In absolutely no way, shape or form is a lack of communication a "good" strategy. Peters needs to make public what he wants and expects, as well as show up to camp and prove he is healthy and in shape and ready to resume his dominance at the LT position.

Why does he need to make it public, are we the ones calling the shots here? I think it is enough that his agent has told the team he wants a new deal, they said no and in fact, publicly declared that they expect him to honor the committment he made 2 years ago. Silence to the public is actually a very mature way to handle things. Every new contract requires proof of physical fitness, that comes after the deal is worked out otherwise, not before. If he fails the physical, the deal is void. The team needs to state that they will give him a new deal providing he is healthy. They have said the opposite. Why are you letting the team off the hook? Do you think he should get a new deal?

1. It depends on what you mean by "low priority". In one sense, I believe you are right, it's a very low priority because Parker is simply saying "sit and wait this out", and see what happens (meaning if the Bills cave at all). So there is no work to do for Parker, there are no calls to make, there is no planning or anything, and he can do whatever he wants with his time because all of his work for Jason Peters right now has been done. It's very low priority, almost non-existent. He could go for days without talking to anyone about it because there is nothing to say.

On the other hand, I guarantee you that the Jason Peters situation and client is one of his top priorities. It could be the very top. Because Jason Peters is probably going to sign a contract as big or bigger than anyone Parker has ever represented and he has represented some of the biggest stars in the game. And that means more money in Parker's own and his agency's pockets.

2. I don't see how anyone over the age of nine can actually believe there has been no contact with the Bills. And that the Bills don't know what Jason Peters contract demands are. That is impossible. Of course they issued demands and the Bills are completely clear on what they are. There simply isn't anything to talk about because Parker is saying we want a new contract this year and the Bills are saying he has to play under his old one this year. What is there to say until one side changes their stance? And it's likely not going to be the Bills.

Exactly. Yet all these posts, one after the other, think the problem is Peter's current zip code rather than the many millions of more dollars he wants. Gee, if he just sent us a text message, we would give him millions but he won't, *sigh*

I guess people are frustrated because they know just how important this guy is so they have to find a villian to blame.

It would be unheard of for the player to talk about his contract with the GM, that is what the agent is for. In fact, it might even be illegal to do so.

What is bizarre about this, that he isn't mouthing off in public like Chad Johnson? This is a hold out, they happen every year, all over the league.

No, Eugene, it's definitely not illegal for Jason Peters to talk to Russ Brandon. Are you afraid Jason's gonna go it alone, w/out an agent, a la Daunte Culpepper?

I'm not even sure it's a hold out. How do I know Peters is not passed out somewhere, head on the table, with his face buried in a big pile of it?

(And you know no more about the sitch than anyone else.)

No, Eugene, it's definitely not illegal for Jason Peters to talk to Russ Brandon. Are you afraid Jason's gonna go it alone, w/out an agent, a la Daunte Culpepper?

I'm not even sure it's a hold out. How do I know Peters is not passed out somewhere, head on the table, with his face buried in a big pile of it?

(And you know no more about the sitch than anyone else.)

Just more than you, which isn't saying all that much.

Yeah, that is a fair assumption, Peters is dead. Brilliant. I know that if he didn't want more money, he wouldn't be holding out and if the Bills wanted to pay him that money, he wouldn't be holding out. Not exactly rocket science to conclude that what he wants, they won't give.

I am sure Peters is paying Parker out of a sense of charity, not because he has the legal and business experience to negotiate a good deal. Certainly Peters would prefer to match wits with Brandon rather than to let his agent handle it. No reason to think Brandon would have an edger there. That is probably why so many athletes do their own negotiating rather than hire an agent. Oh, wait. None of that is true now is it?

I also know that Parker has had more than one discussion with Brandon because Brandon told us he did. I also know that they spoke about Peters when they were working on Hardy's deal because Brandon told us he did. I also know that Brandon wants him to play another year under his existing contract because he told us he did. Yet the brain trust around her is filled with one post after another about how the team would sign him if, gollyoski, he just came to camp. As if every freaking hold out that ended with a contract didn't include negotiations with the player not at camp. That is why they call it a hold out.

According to Brown - Peters has texted back and forth with a few linemates, just not about his contract or holdout in genera.... so, he ain't dead...

Well, maybe someone killed Peters, and they're f'n w/ everyone by using his cell to text his agent, the bills, and his teammates... Hmmm...

The Team, Peters, and his agents know more about this situation than anyone else... And they aren't sharing that information w/ anyone. Brandon said he's not going to talk about it w/ the media, Peters & his Agents haven't been talking to agents... which is strange, usually during a holdout you hear the player or his agent complaining about what they want to the media...

It could be something other than $... We all jumped to that conclusion... And of course that's where the speculation starts.