Peters may be willing to sit all season

scribo

Personally, If I was someone like Evans or Crowell, and the Bills caved into Peters right now and they started negotiating with him before I had a new deal in place, I would tell my agent right away that I refuse to talk to the team and will become a UFA this offseason. If they are in camp, working with the team and had been to Offseason programs with the Bills, they deserve to negotiate first for a deal for next season, before someone who still has 3 years left and hasn't played through half of his new contract yet.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the end, Gilbert made out like a bandit too, as I recall.

And was Gilbert in the last year of his contract? Peters would have to sit out 3 straights and then I don't believe he even becomes a free agent, I think the Bills still retain his rights (correct?). Anyway, he or his agent really need to get together with the Bills brass. That's the bottom line, if they sit back and wait for a call it will be a long hold out...

John Riggins held out a year in his prime.

That was about 13 years before free agency started. Totally different ballgame. I think Sam Bam Cunningham of the Pats might have sat out more than a year. One or two guys have held out as a rookie I think, but Gilbert may be the only veteran player who actually sat out an entire season since free agency started.

Back to the link in the original post of this thread, I like Chris Brown's words about what the team values: Commitment to the team. Show that you are in 100 percent, and the team will reward you.

From Brown:

Just this offseason Brad Butler and Kyle Williams were both extended despite being just two years into their rookie contracts. But both of those players are also heavily committed to the team and the offseason program.

John Riggins held out a year in his prime.

I listen to the John Riggins Show a few times a week here in D.C. He has said a on there that he regrets doing that to his team and he regrets leaving them eventually. Then again, he did credit that off year as a contributing factor to why he can still walk.

Jason Peters will be part of the Bills for a long time, be it on the field (99% likely) or sitting at home.

1. According to the front office, Jason Peters is signed for 3 more years at 3 mil per season. If Jason Peters never approaches the front office for an extension, and instead uses the media, one, how does the FO know he wants more $, and two, that is highly unprofessional. Think of yourself at work. If you'd like a raise, what's the better tact, to grumble around the office, or to walk into your boss's office and explain to him the situation?

2. Jason Peters will be a Bill for a long time, and he'll get his money. It might not be this year, it might be next february or march. But he will get his money. Even if Peters plays this season for his current salary, he's still got 2 years left on his deal. He can come out and say that he'll never re-sign with the Bills, but with 2 years remaining on a deal, if the Bills flash a big time deal with 25 mil guaranteed, he'll be signing it within the hour.

It basically comes down to the fact that when the Bills show peters the money, he'll re-sign. Perhaps if he made the appropriate steps (contacting the FO, attending OTAs and camp), he'd have his money a lot sooner.

You read this board. There are posters who base virtually every opinion they voice on stats.

Players such as Jason Peters are what matter most to a football team. We lucked into one, and posters are grumbling because he wants more money than guys who are clearly inferior.

It makes no sense.

I'm not grumbling because he wants more money. The fact is, he has 3 years left on a contract, you don't just not show up when you have that much time left. Show up at camp, sit down with Brandon and tell him you're unhappy with what you're getting and demand a renogotiation befitting a pro bowl left tackle. In the meantime, get your ass out there and show that you are still at that level after off season surgery and deserve that raise.

Back to the link in the original post of this thread, I like Chris Brown's words about what the team values: Commitment to the team. Show that you are in 100 percent, and the team will reward you.

From Brown:

I think that's disingenuous of the Bills. Peters situation, being a Pro Bowler, and due a $50-70 million contract is totally different. Butler and Williams, if they tried to hold out, would be laughed at. Neither of them were grossly underpaid. Neither of them are essential to the team. What happens if Peters comes in to camp as they ask, his agent makes their demands, and the Bills say you're crazy, we're not making you the top paid OL in the game (even though he may deserve it based on talent, age, potential, play, etc). Then it gets really ugly.

The Bills own his rights. If he sits out three years, he still owes them three years. He has no leverage, which is why he will show up eventually.

He has leverage in that he can withhold his services. The team has leverage because they can fine him heavily, don't have to pay him if he doesn't play, and don't have to give up his rights until he plays out his contract (which doesn't happen if he doesn't play). So, yeah, he has a very poor hand and can do little other than to squawk and complain and threaten. His other leverage is the PR damage he does to the team. It is teams like the Bengals, Bears, and Bills that seem to take black-eyes on these things, while teams like the Patriots get lauded by the players and media for signing veterans at bargain basement prices.

Again.....the question is NOT should Peters get more money. The question is whether making zero contact with your team the way to do it?

PTR

Exactly...

I truly believe The Bills Brass when they say they are willing if Peters is around and showing the committment to the Organization...I think most Teams are taking this angle now with their Super Stars and it's a fair angle to take...Look at the Urlacher situation...It looked like that could get ugly after Briggs got His Deal, but Urlacher basically sucked it up, went to the Mini Camp, acted like a Team Leader, and got an extra $18 million for His minimal effort...

Peters is getting horrible advice...Moronic advise to be perfectly honest..The Bills LOVE Jason Peters and his abilities at LT...If anyone thinks The Bills would be unwilling to do a New Deal with Peters...well...They would be wrong...Had He simply shown up with the rest of His Teammates all Off Season, while His Agent worked out a better Deal, I have no doubt the Contract would be done by now..I mean ZERO doubt...

This is just plain dumb...And this is why Players Agents are widely viewed as the scum of the earth...It's just stupid... :thumbsup:

In all reality here, the Bills have handed out what I'd call two large contracts in the past two years. Both Dockery and Schobel received big deals, and Lee Evans will follow shortly-I hope. The two to Dockery and Schobel put this situation on the map, not to mention the deals for FA OL in NY (Diehl) and TEN (Michael Roos) All the other contracts (Mitchell, Butler, K. Williams, Parrish, and Stroud) are minor to slightly above average deals.

I've got to believe the Bills don't have the money to extend Peters, given the enormity of the contracts they've handed out. It doesn't help that the team handed out large contracts to two other lineman and the going rate for young line talent has risen so rapidly. That, and Evans must have a deal soon.

I'm not trying to say one way or the other, but as KFBD said, there's issues from both standpoints.

If anyone believes that there has been NO contact with the Bills from Peters' agent, or that the Bills have NO IDEA what he wants in a contract, or what his (threatened) plans are to sit, you should be locked in a rubber room. There are few things in this world totally impossible to believe and that is one of them.

From Brown:

You know what? If the Bills think Peters is a "bad character guy", as Brown is trying to paint him, then let him go. Trade him for a high-motor guy that will sacrifice his off-season with his family completely for the "good of the team".

Too bad you can't do it retroactively. They could've gotten a lot of draft picks for Bruce Smith back in the day.

If Peters was a qb, rb, or wr, he would get a lot more sympathy.

If we had a QB, RB or WR play the season at Peter's level in 2007, make the Hawaii roster and miss day one of Training Camp over a contract issue, there would be scant posts on any other subject on TSW today, the mods wouldn't have any chance of keeping up with the duplicate subject posts, and the news around the league would lead off all day with the talk about the penny-wise and pound-foolish Ralph Wilson.

If anyone believes that there has been NO contact with the Bills from Peters' agent, or that the Bills have NO IDEA what he wants in a contract, or what his (threatened) plans are to sit, you should be locked in a rubber room. There are few things in this world totally impossible to believe and that is one of them.

Exactly. This thread is prompted by Chris Brown reporting on what Adam Shefter says the unnamed representatives of Jason Peters allegedly said to the Bills.

Huh?

This is a vaguely interesting story if true since even if true it leaves out so much of what the reality is that led to this impasse. Actually, the likelihood is that this story is probably missing several big fat key elements for anyone to reasonably draw a conclusion from.

You know what? If the Bills think Peters is a "bad character guy", as Brown is trying to paint him, then let him go. Trade him for a high-motor guy that will sacrifice his off-season with his family completely for the "good of the team".

Too bad you can't do it retroactively. They could've gotten a lot of draft picks for Bruce Smith back in the day.

Chris Brown's slight comparison of Kyle Williams' and Brad Butler's situations with Peters is downright laughable.

I can't really trust anything that comes out of OBD, especially in light of this talk that there's been no communication. You know that even if Peters hadn't contacted them, they want to know why their best lineman hasn't felt it necessary to report to training camp.

It is times like this when a savvy front office type with experience in handling personnel matters would be invaluable. Unfortunately, the Bills don't have a GM, and didn't feel the need to get one.