Peters may be willing to sit all season

scribo

Exactly. This thread is prompted by Chris Brown reporting on what Adam Shefter says the unnamed representatives of Jason Peters allegedly said to the Bills.

Huh?

This is a vaguely interesting story if true since even if true it leaves out so much of what the reality is that led to this impasse. Actually, the likelihood is that this story is probably missing several big fat key elements for anyone to reasonably draw a conclusion from.

Ever play telephone? A 5th hand story is the ultimate in reliable. :thumbsup:

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what? If the Bills think Peters is a "bad character guy", as Brown is trying to paint him, then let him go. Trade him for a high-motor guy that will sacrifice his off-season with his family completely for the "good of the team".

Too bad you can't do it retroactively. They could've gotten a lot of draft picks for Bruce Smith back in the day.

It doesn't seem to me that Chris Brown is saying Peters is a bad character guy. I think he is just voicing his opinion that if Peters handled this differently, it would work out better for all involved.

Did you read the rest of the blog post? Here it is:

By no means am I suggesting that Jason Peters is not committed to the team and his teammates. However, I believe if he was on hand for all the offseason OTAs and mandatory minicamp and voiced his concerns in person about a new contract, the process would be a lot further along that it is now.

That being said, I think even now if he reports to camp and gets to work the Bills will still talk to him about a new deal. It seems all the Bills want is his commitment to what they're trying to do in 2008, and that starts with being on the field with his teammates.

Chris Brown's slight comparison of Kyle Williams' and Brad Butler's situations with Peters is downright laughable.

I can't really trust anything that comes out of OBD, especially in light of this talk that there's been no communication. You know that even if Peters hadn't contacted them, they want to know why their best lineman hasn't felt it necessary to report to training camp.

It is times like this when a savvy front office type with experience in handling personnel matters would be invaluable. Unfortunately, the Bills don't have a GM, and didn't feel the need to get one.

The information is just as reliable as any information you will get out of Eugene parker or Jason Peters. There are very good reasons why teams are elusive, evasive or downright lying when it comes to negotiations of contracts. I wouldn't trust either of them, but I wouldn't really blame them for it either. It hurts you to be completely honest with the media. It's unfortunate, but it's true.

If anyone believes that there has been NO contact with the Bills from Peters' agent, or that the Bills have NO IDEA what he wants in a contract, or what his (threatened) plans are to sit, you should be locked in a rubber room. There are few things in this world totally impossible to believe and that is one of them.

They are definitely aware that Peters is unhappy as he didn't show up to any OTA's, is not at training camp, and are questioned about it in every interview. RB said several times that he has not had any direct contact with JP or agent, I don't think that's impossible to believe. They need to meet, that's the bottom line. None of this negotiating through the media bull sh--!! We have so many former GM's on this board with all the answers and inside scoop, I'm just a Bills fan that calls it like I see it based on the facts reported...

Chris Brown's slight comparison of Kyle Williams' and Brad Butler's situations with Peters is downright laughable.

The comparison is not only laughable, it is downright idiotic. It's basically saying, we're willing to renegotiate Jerry Ostroski and Carlton Bailey because they came in and lifted weights; but, Bruce Smith stayed in Virginia close to his family and worked out and got his knee scoped so he'd be ready in September -- the bum -- screw him!

It doesn't seem to me that Chris Brown is saying Peters is a bad character guy. I think he is just voicing his opinion that if Peters handled this differently, it would work out better for all involved.

Did you read the rest of the blog post? Here it is:

I read it and discounted it because the first paragraph seems to be in direct contradiction. The rest is a placebo, tossed out there like a "don't take this personally" attached to a "you're a gullible sod."

Yes, but the OTAs are not mandatory, right? And how much of a role does his agent have in this mess? These guys have agents to manage contract negotiations. So, what Brown is saying is that it would work out better if Peters took his agent out of the equation. Well, yeah, I can see that being good news from the Bills standpoint. The Bills aren't bolted to the floor; they can reach out as well.

They are definitely aware that Peters is unhappy as he didn't show up to any OTA's, is not at training camp, and are questioned about it in every interview. RB said several times that he has not had any direct contact with JP or agent, I don't think that's impossible to believe. They need to meet, that's the bottom line. None of this negotiating through the media bull sh--!! We have so many former GM's on this board with all the answers and inside scoop, I'm just a Bills fan that calls it like I see it based on the facts reported...

There is no reason to talk to Peters. All contracts are through his agent, and Brandon doesn't do contracts, Littman does. Brandon said yesterday that his conversations with Parker were "minimal" when compared to his conversations with Parker about James Hardy. So he's clearly spoken with Peters' agent, and probably recently.

The thing that is laughable to me is that if anyone took one second to sit back and think about what that actually means, that they would believe it. Is it even possible to believe, even in Madden 09, that Eugene Parker and Jason Peters just decided to not show up but didn't tell anyone or tell the team anything about why or what they wanted? They are just waiting for the team to call them and ask where he is?

There is no reason to talk to Peters. All contracts are through his agent, and Brandon doesn't do contracts, Littman does. Brandon said yesterday that his conversations with Parker were "minimal" when compared to his conversations with Parker about James Hardy. So he's clearly spoken with Peters' agent, and probably recently.

The thing that is laughable to me is that if anyone took one second to sit back and think about what that actually means, that they would believe it. Is it even possible to believe, even in Madden 09, that Eugene Parker and Jason Peters just decided to not show up but didn't tell anyone or tell the team anything about why or what they wanted? They are just waiting for the team to call them and ask where he is?

I posted this in another thread, it's and interview of RB on WGR:

Link

He states he's had little contact regarding Peters, but says Peters agent knows where the Bills stand.

What's missing from this discussion:

The second most important number in this Peters situation, besides "three", the number of years left on his contract, is HOW MUCH DOES HE WANT? That is very likely the major factor in what is going on. Chances are extremely likely that his agent's starting point for Peters is for him to be made the highest paid offensive lineman in the league. And he might be worth it considering all factors: his play, age, position, talent, potential, etc. The Bills entire stand could be predicated (and probably is) on the fact that we're simply not ready to pay him that much money this year. And it would be dumb, IMO, for Peters or Parker to be asking for anything less. That is likely why there is little communication between them.

so why should a team EVER sign a player to an extension? what is the reward they get for their risk (i.e. the fat signing bonus that comes with an extension)? if you allow guys to not honor the terms of their contacts then extensions become worthless because they are then a no risk/all reward proposition for the players and a no reward/all risk proposition for the owners

The Bills probbly should not have set the precedent then by re-upping Schoebel, Butler, Williams etc.

Link

He states he's had little contact regarding Peters, but says Peters agent knows where the Bills stand.

And he knows where they stand. So there has been communication. The reason, IMO, is what I just stated above. Brandon is playing the media more than Parker/Peters are.

And he knows where they stand. So there has been communication. The reason, IMO, is what I just stated above. Brandon is playing the media more than Parker/Peters are.

Well whatever, you can interpret any way you like. They had little contact, IMHO there should be way more contact if a player I represent is losing 15k a day by holding out. But I can just go by what I hear or read, I don't have the inside scoop...

I thought Overdorf did contract negotiations? Even still, transparency isn't required in this process, and being honest probably hurts the situation. I'll take an educated guess and say there's been preliminary talk between the two sides.

Still, it's worth noting that Brown is a mouthpiece for the Bills organization, as Peters and the agent are for their side. A "fair and balanced" perspective is probably out of the question here.

Link

my guess is the Bills opening response as noted by Brandon was - "we just re-did your contract, you have 3 years left, wait till next year"

which is what prompted Peters to stay away.

The current response that they are willing to talk if he shows up is damage control, after the horse left the barn

The second most important number in this Peters situation, besides "three", the number of years left on his contract, is HOW MUCH DOES HE WANT? That is very likely the major factor in what is going on. Chances are extremely likely that his agent's starting point for Peters is for him to be made the highest paid offensive lineman in the league. And he might be worth it considering all factors: his play, age, position, talent, potential, etc. The Bills entire stand could be predicated (and probably is) on the fact that we're simply not ready to pay him that much money this year. And it would be dumb, IMO, for Peters or Parker to be asking for anything less. That is likely why there is little communication between them.

The Bills obviously knew this back in January when their contact broke off.

Yet they arrogantly refused to acknowledge the problem and failed to protect themselves by gettiong anyone with any experieince to fill in at LT

I thought Overdorf did contract negotiations? Even still, transparency isn't required in this process, and being honest probably hurts the situation. I'll take an educated guess and say there's been preliminary talk between the two sides.

Still, it's worth noting that Brown is a mouthpiece for the Bills organization, as Peters and the agent are for their side. A "fair and balanced" perspective is probably out of the question here.

You're right. I meant Overdorf, not Littman. Of course there have been preliminary talks.

Peters reportedly wants a contract between $8 million and $11.5 million per season in a contract extension.

Would it kill him to at least be in Rochester and ask for a renegotiation? But Peters and his agent decided to filp the bird to the Bills and his teammates. Bill, no one is faulting Peters for wanting a fair contract. What the problem is how he's doing it. Peters and his agent are showing no respect to a team that has taken good care of Peters all along. They want the Bills to come crawling to them. Sorry. If the Bills cave in, then expect the line to form right after. It sucks but don't blame the Bills.

Peters can sit out forever as far as I'm concerned. Then he can get a real job.

PTR

While it would be nice if Peters took the same approach that Kyle Williams and Chris Kelsay showed, there's a key difference here. Williams and Kelsay SUCK. They better f**ing be team players and show up or they will be cast aside as the journeymen that they truly are.

In any case, I agree with you that the best course of action the Bills can take at this point is to do nothing. Let him collect the fines and rot -- he has 3 years on his deal and he's not going to forgo his salary this year.

If the front office were smart, they would have drafted some depth at tackle the last two years so that we would at least have some good, promising young players in the pipeline. If only...

Peters reportedly wants a contract between $8 million and $11.5 million per season in a contract extension.

Well, there you go. At 11+ million he would be right up there with the highest in the league. The Bills probably don't mind spending that if he does it next year.