Peters may be willing to sit all season

scribo

Or would you prefer the Bills preemptively sign players they think are on the rise to "good" contracts to make sure they feel appreciated and paid commensurate to their performance? Wait, we did that with Peters and he still isn't happy....

Reflects my thoughts entirely.

As a side note - his recent antics are only serving to wipe away the rosy image I had of him as a nobody who worked his way up to become a star in the league. With his ungrateful actions, he is shown himself to be nothing more than a greedy athlete to me. And I really am hoping he reads this thread to see how a majority of the fans on this board feel he is justified in asking for a raise but is being a sulking a$$ going about it.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reflects my thoughts entirely.

As a side note - his recent antics are only serving to wipe away the rosy image I had of him as a nobody who worked his way up to become a star in the league. With his ungrateful actions, he is shown himself to be nothing more than a greedy athlete to me. And I really am hoping he reads this thread to see how a majority of the fans on this board feel he is justified in asking for a raise but is being a sulking a$$ going about it.

I'm in the camp that says he should have reported, but the only reason that one could consider as good for him to hold out is to avoid an injury.

Top 5, I agree. But he has THREE YEARS LEFT on his contract. What kind of leverage does he think he has? I won't play for you? It's not like he's going to become an UFA. Plus, if he doesn't report he's stuck here for an extra year or 2. The FO doesn't HAVE to trade him OR extend him. At least if he came to camp he would garner good will, which would make the FO WANT him around.

IMO, Peters is probably holding out with the knowledge that he can force a trade and then instantly become the highest paid LT in the NFL. He can do that by not communicating with the team, then just showing up at some point in the first half of the season and feigning injury or causing some other kinds of problems. A "good" player wouldn't be able to pull it off, they'd end up giving their new team a discount for the potential headache. But everyone knows Peters is the top young LT in the game, and he'll get paid regardless of how he behaves this time. The new team would just say he needs a change of scenery and gladly pay the price.

The Bills would like to negotiate. They want to pay less because of the existing contract. But like I said, all Peters has to do is become a headache and the Bills will deal him and he will get a 10 year deal worth around $150M. Why negotiate? That's such a hefty raise that it would render the few hundred grand he could lose in fines insignificant.

Being more acquanited at this point with the Sabres than I am with the Bills, all I have to say, after reading all these posts about how each player "handled" seeing another player get more money than they were currently getting.......this CBA does nothing but breed petulant babies in football uniforms. I always wondered why I hated the atmosphere surrounding football players since the mid-80s. The bargaining agreements are 100% fuc ked. I'm surprised we don't see more of these losers gracing the pages of Vogue and Teen Beat.

Seriously, !@#$ all of them.

The Bills would like to negotiate. They want to pay less because of the existing contract. But like I said, all Peters has to do is become a headache and the Bills will deal him and he will get a 10 year deal worth around $150M. Why negotiate? That's such a hefty raise that it would render the few hundred grand he could lose in fines insignificant.

A player can not get a 10 year deal - CBA does not allow it.

What prevents him from signing another contract and collecting another bonus by acting like a child?

What prevents him from signing another contract and collecting another bonus by acting like a child?

As long as he's a great player, keeping his deal updated so he's never paid less than other top tackles should keep him happy.

I don't know if he'd demand further re-negotations, but the Bills haven't had a great player at a critical position like LT since Bruce Smith in the mid-late 1990's. Ted Washington was great, but he had a lot less value to 4-3 teams than 3-4 teams. They've had some other star players, but not a guy who scouts might call THE BEST at such high dollar position. Clements was great, but not the best. Takeo was great, but he was a LB, not a QB/LT/DE. I'd be willing to bet 31 teams would trade their LT straight up for Peters if they could. I'm not condoning it, and I'm as pissed as any fan at the way he's handling this, but he's got a lot of value and his agent knows it.

Didn't Michael Vick get a 10 year deal back in 2002?

McNabb did get an 11 yr deal or something like that

EDIT:

archived link I found

McNabb to sign biggest contract in NFL history

The Philadelphia Eagles and quarterback Donovan McNabb have agreed on a contract extension.

ESPN.com's Len Pasquarelli has confirmed it is a 12-year deal worth $115 million, giving the 25-year-old McNabb the biggest contract in NFL history.

McNabb's deal runs through 2013, and includes a $20.5 million signing bonus, his agent, Fletcher Smith, told The Associated Press.

Brett Favre and Drew Bledsoe both have existing $100 million total deals, and Ray Lewis received the previous largest signing bonus of $19 million under his new contract reached with the Ravens in August.

The Eagles plan to announce the new deal at a news conference at 2 p.m. ET.

McNabb's new contract supercedes the four years that remained on his original deal with the Eagles, which ran through 2005, so this deal technically is an eight-year extension. The new deal starts with this season and goes through 2013 -- 12 years.

The team, ESPN.com confirmed, can void the contract at any time. McNabb can void the final three seasons, 2011-2013, by reaching certain predetermined performance incentives.

Clearly the contract will be rewritten in subsequent years to address salary-cap issues.

An NFL team has never signed such a lengthy contract with a player who still has that much time left on his current deal.

McNabb, the No. 2 overall choice in the 1999 draft, is in his third full season as a starter for the Eagles. He's off to the best start of his career, completing 61.3 percent of his passes for 791 yards, eight touchdowns and only two interceptions. He also leads the Eagles (2-1) with 118 yards rushing and two touchdowns.

Philadelphia is 27-13 in games McNabb started, and his touchdown-to-interception ratio of 62-34 ranks fourth in league history, behind Steve Young, Jeff Garcia and Joe Montana.

McNabb emerged as one of the league's top players in just his second season, leading the Eagles to an 11-5 record in 2000 and into the second round of the playoffs. He finished second to St. Louis Rams running back Marshall Faulk in NFL MVP voting that season.

McNabb again led the Eagles to 11 vcitories last season, and helped them reach the NFC title game.

He's a strong-armed passer with exceptional scrambling ability, the increasingly preferred style for pro quarterbacks.

"That style of quarterbacking is the future of the NFL,'' former Redskins cornerback Deion Sanders said after McNabb ran for 125 yards in a victory over Washington in 2000.

With each passing day, the Peters' legend grows. He's probably getting fitted for his HOF jacket right now, wherever he is....

Nobody said he's HOF material. It's a transition time at the top of the LT list. Ogden is gone. Pace is in decline. Jones is aging. I'm not saying Peters is playing like those guys in their prime, but in the context of what else is out there, IMO, he's the best young LT in the game. Remember, the frame of reference now is a guy like Matt Light not a superstar like Tony Boselli. Like I said, it's a transition time. He'll have more competition soon, but there are no Orlando Pace's on the horizon either.

With each passing day, the Peters' legend grows. He's probably getting fitted for his HOF jacket right now, wherever he is....

LOL. The is the simplest and best post of this thread by far!

I agree 100%. Move over Jackie Slater, Jason Peters is now the poster child for the best LT in the NFL. Just ask some Bills fans....they'll tell ya!

Really? There are rules regarding the length of rookie contracts, but none that I'm aware of for veteran players.

I'd still give the edge to Walter Jones, but the margin is closing.

The top of the list changed in a hurry the past couple years after a rather long time with the same names at the top. The people who are gaffawing about where Peters ranks don't seem to realize that. After Ogden, Pace and Jones entered the league there were a lot of years where the top OT's weren't really "great" prospects, didn't live up to the hype or just plain flamed out.

Anyone who's been to practice and watched Langston Walker at LT today knows Peters' leverage grows with each day. Walker's athleticism is a shred of what Peters offers and will not neutralize edge rushers. It's understood this was Walker's first full day at LT, but his lateral movement isn't there for a OLT.

There is an amazing domino effect which taking place, with Walker now changing positions and a career backup inserted at RT. I think the team's frustration is born out of the realization that they cannot yield to the new deal demands for principle (and pride) reasons, yet not doing so means their team (at least on offense) will not nearly be as successful.

The team may need to relent sooner than they imagined, although maybe it'll take a few pre-season games to impress on fans what the coaching staff knows right now: that Walker's move to LT will be a rough transition for him, the QB, and the entire offense.

Anyone who's been to practice and watched Langston Walker at LT today knows Peters' leverage grows with each day. Walker's athleticism is a shred of what Peters offers and will not neutralize edge rushers. It's understood this was Walker's first full day at LT, but his lateral movement isn't there for a OLT.

There is an amazing domino effect which taking place, with Walker now changing positions and a career backup inserted at RT. I think the team's frustration is born out of the realization that they cannot yield to the new deal demands for principle (and pride) reasons, yet not doing so means their team (at least on offense) will not nearly be as successful.

The team may need to relent sooner than they imagined, although maybe it'll take a few pre-season games to impress on fans what the coaching staff knows right now: that Walker's move to LT will be a rough transition for him, the QB, and the entire offense.

I kinda feel as though the spread of this type of mindset ( if occurring in the minds of the players) WILL result in a domino effect, but if the will of the players is strong they should be able to absorb the change and work with it. With that said, for one player to be in a position to affect an entire team in this way speaks to the need for change in the way the NFL does it's contracts.

IMO, Peters is probably holding out with the knowledge that he can force a trade and then instantly become the highest paid LT in the NFL. He can do that by not communicating with the team, then just showing up at some point in the first half of the season and feigning injury or causing some other kinds of problems. A "good" player wouldn't be able to pull it off, they'd end up giving their new team a discount for the potential headache. But everyone knows Peters is the top young LT in the game, and he'll get paid regardless of how he behaves this time. The new team would just say he needs a change of scenery and gladly pay the price.

I am having a Howard Ballard flashback. :devil: