Peters may be willing to sit all season

scribo

You on the hooch again this morning, Bill? You're makin' absolutely zero sense at all. You insult me, then accuse me of not liking you when I respond. FTR, I like you just fine, but please learn to read - I did not bring up Losman, I simply responded to a prior post that invoked his name.

<_<:D Nah, not my thing. I could explain again but it isn't worth it. Let me go as far as to apologize for the "fanboy" remark.

Back to football if you will.....being held hostage is not fun. On this we certainly agree. Still, Peters has a point. He is THE most essential piece to our playoff hopes. This is what I think gets lost. Most of our debate has been about Marshawn and his truck, Hardy and his gun, and JP/Trent, but none of them are as good as Peters. At least not yet.

Ralph is pocketing 78 million or so from Toronto, and sold 54,200 season tickets. To my knowledge, there are only tickets left to 1 game. Having been to RWS 14 times, I know he will do pretty well at the concessions to boot. :lol:

This season, there is a chance for him to actually deliver us a good product. I seriously doubt that this can be done without Peters, and I am sick of not making the playoffs. They need to reach out, and quickly.

I am sick of the losses.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Bill knows so much about football, I think it will be more fun to see if he's right that JP will never be anything but a backup in NFL and that Trent will blossom into something quite good.

I see JP as more feast or famine than a steady backup. He has shown us talent way more than consistency. Yes, I predict that Trent will be similar to Hasselback.

<_<:D Nah, not my thing. I could explain again but it isn't worth it. Let me go as far as to apologize for the "fanboy" remark.

Back to football if you will.....being held hostage is not fun. On this we certainly agree. Still, Peters has a point. He is THE most essential piece to our playoff hopes. This is what I think gets lost. Most of our debate has been about Marshawn and his truck, Hardy and his gun, and JP/Trent, but none of them are as good as Peters. At least not yet.

Ralph is pocketing 78 million or so from Toronto, and sold 54,200 season tickets. To my knowledge, there are only tickets left to 1 game. Having been to RWS 14 times, I know he will do pretty well at the concessions to boot. :lol:

This season, there is a chance for him to actually deliver us a good product. I seriously doubt that this can be done without Peters, and I am sick of not making the playoffs. They need to reach out, and quickly.

I am sick of the losses.

Stay out of the negotiation business. You're prepared to cave on this way too early. Peters will be fine and in the starting lineup on opening day ready to go.

I am sick of the losses.

I think most real football fans know how important Peters is to this team. My big problem is the holdout. We know he probably should get more money. I just don't agree with how he and his agent are going about this. The Bills have publicly stated that they will not discuss anything until he shows up to practice. I don't think it is a matter of money for the Bills. Peters needs to be in camp for this to move forward.

:lol::D Nah, not my thing. I could explain again but it isn't worth it. Let me go as far as to apologize for the "fanboy" remark.

Ralph is pocketing 78 million or so from Toronto, and sold 54,200 season tickets. To my knowledge, there are only tickets left to 1 game. Having been to RWS 14 times, I know he will do pretty well at the concessions to boot. :wallbash:

I am sick of the losses.

No blood, no foul! <_<

And, having been to the concession stands about 14 times per game, I can attest that - despite Jeremy Jacobs' cut - Ralph does quite well with those, too.

As you & most know, I'm the eternal optimist when it comes to Da Billsss. Peters was an undrafted tight end converted to right tackle, converted to left tackle. That implies to me that the coaching staff knows how to recognize, adapt, coach, and develop young talent. I'd love to see Peters in camp, working his ass off along with the rest of his teammates, instead of bitching about only makin' $3M a year. However, you & I just disagree that he's irreplaceable.

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 & 0 baby!!!!! :lol:

Senator's remarks are most likely shared by a number of posters on this board, though their POV was terribly represented in his sophomoric post. Fact is, Peters is inviting criticism and losing fans for the way he is handling this situation. He was signed as an UFA, taught a position that he knew nothing about and trusted enough to be put in a situation where he could play. When he played well, he was rewarded with an extension. Now, instead of participating in mandatory activities as required by his contract he is huffing and puffing about a new contract, yet the FO claims they were blindsided by this. He seems to be getting some bad advice from his agent. I don't care how good you are, if the fans dislike you, you're going to lose in the end. TO is arguably the best WR in the league, yet he makes virtually no money in endorsements. Why? Because people can't stand the sight of him. Peters would be well advised to report to camp and negotiate instead of whining and pouting in the corner.

I am sick of the losses.

Bill, myself, and probably every poster on this board (certainly the majority) agree with you that Peters is the best or one of the best players on the team AND that he's a key to our success this season. However, you can't just let a player do whatever he wants, disregard all organized team activities, and then open the bank vault for him. I assure you if they do, what would stop Evans from saying the same thing and sitting out? Evans is just as critical to our success this year and he's in the final year of his contract. Should he just go home and refuse to talk to anyone until he gets a new contract? What about Trent after he has a great year behind Peters? Should he too sit at home and just expect to be paid?

Peters is good. Everyone knows it. But, he's not in any position yet to not show up to any OTA or Camp and expect the FO to pay him. I'll go so far as to say no FO in the league would do that. Look no further than the Hester situation or the Jackson situation. So this isn't a case of the FO mishandling Peters. It's a case of Peters thinking of himself first and the team last. For that, he has alot of ground to make up in this fan's opinion.

I know it's the new thing to re-sign players before their contract expires, but do we really have to rework contracts every 2 years? I'd imagine that's what the FO is thinking - its certainly what I'm thinking.

Senator's remarks are most likely shared by a number of posters on this board, though their POV was terribly represented in his sophomoric post. Fact is, Peters is inviting criticism and losing fans for the way he is handling this situation. He was signed as an UFA, taught a position that he knew nothing about and trusted enough to be put in a situation where he could play. When he played well, he was rewarded with an extension. Now, instead of participating in mandatory activities as required by his contract he is huffing and puffing about a new contract, yet the FO claims they were blindsided by this. He seems to be getting some bad advice from his agent. I don't care how good you are, if the fans dislike you, you're going to lose in the end. TO is arguably the best WR in the league, yet he makes virtually no money in endorsements. Why? Because people can't stand the sight of him. Peters would be well advised to report to camp and negotiate instead of whining and pouting in the corner.

Sounds like you're pretty much in agreement with The Senator's sophomoric POV.

So you are saying a proper front office caves to any demand made by a player? Get a grip here. This holdout is a bit unexpected since they just gave Peters a new deal 2 years ago. But even if he wanted a new contract, can't the guy say so instead of acting like he has PMS? I mean I can see this if he went to the Bills and they told him to go jump in the lake. But he or his agent never said word one to the Bills. They went right to skipping OTA's, skipping camp, and threatening a hold out, all without ever making an official contact with the Bills.

Does this hurt the team? No question. But blame the guilty party here: Peters, not the Bills. They are trying to do right by their players, but they can't be held liable when a player and his agent decide to act like babies.

PTR

Peters isn't just any player. The guy is a pro bowler and one of the best in the game. And he is young enough to keep that key position filled for years. Given the money we forked over for guys like Kelsay, I can see Peters' point.

I remember when he was playing special teams seeing McGee take one back all the way where Peters knocked one guy into another guy and put them both on the ground just before McGee fired through the gaping hole Peters had created.

Peters is doing what every player in the history of this league has always done, everything he can to get paid what he is worth. As for unexpected, we gave Schobel a new deal and the next year when we gave Kelsay even more money, we redid Schobel's deal. Peters is right to ask why they didn't hold Aaron to a deal only a year old and won't re-do his 2 year old deal when, in the interim, he rose to be one of the best in the game.

I know the Bills have to manage their cap and I can't blame them for doing their job which is to keep that payroll manageable but man oh man, Jason Peters is not the player I want to see them use to make the point. Save some money on the next guy and get this guy smiling, fat and happy back into camp.

Even if he folds his tent, he come back an angry young man who likely has instructed his agent to get him the heck out of Buffalo at the first opportunity. Is this what we want?

Bill, myself, and probably every poster on this board (certainly the majority) agree with you that Peters is the best or one of the best players on the team AND that he's a key to our success this season. However, you can't just let a player do whatever he wants, disregard all organized team activities, and then open the bank vault for him. I assure you if they do, what would stop Evans from saying the same thing and sitting out? Evans is just as critical to our success this year and he's in the final year of his contract. Should he just go home and refuse to talk to anyone until he gets a new contract? What about Trent after he has a great year behind Peters? Should he too sit at home and just expect to be paid?

Peters is good. Everyone knows it. But, he's not in any position yet to not show up to any OTA or Camp and expect the FO to pay him. I'll go so far as to say no FO in the league would do that. Look no further than the Hester situation or the Jackson situation. So this isn't a case of the FO mishandling Peters. It's a case of Peters thinking of himself first and the team last. For that, he has alot of ground to make up in this fan's opinion.

I know it's the new thing to re-sign players before their contract expires, but do we really have to rework contracts every 2 years? I'd imagine that's what the FO is thinking - its certainly what I'm thinking.

Didn't we re-do Schobel's contract one year after it was signed because we gave Kelsay more money and Schobel was clearly better?

Peters isn't just any player. The guy is a pro bowler and one of the best in the game. And he is young enough to keep that key position filled for years. Given the money we forked over for guys like Kelsay, I can see Peters' point.

I remember when he was playing special teams seeing McGee take one back all the way where Peters knocked one guy into another guy and put them both on the ground just before McGee fired through the gaping hole Peters had created.

Peters is doing what every player in the history of this league has always done, everything he can to get paid what he is worth. As for unexpected, we gave Schobel a new deal and the next year when we gave Kelsay even more money, we redid Schobel's deal. Peters is right to ask why they didn't hold Aaron to a deal only a year old and won't re-do his 2 year old deal when, in the interim, he rose to be one of the best in the game.

I know the Bills have to manage their cap and I can't blame them for doing their job which is to keep that payroll manageable but man oh man, Jason Peters is not the player I want to see them use to make the point. Save some money on the next guy and get this guy smiling, fat and happy back into camp.

Even if he folds his tent, he come back an angry young man who likely has instructed his agent to get him the heck out of Buffalo at the first opportunity. Is this what we want?

The Bills have never said they won't discuss a new deal. However, Peters is under contract and is required to be in camp. Once he shows they will talk about a new contract. Why is this hard for some to understand?

That 1st opportunity is at least 3 years from now.

Didn't we re-do Schobel's contract one year after it was signed because we gave Kelsay more money and Schobel was clearly better?

Yes, and Schobel was in camp, in the OTAs, singing the team's praises the whole time negotiations were going on. He wasn't a no show for an entire off season. Not to mention, he was the big contract this year. My guess, and that's all it is, is that the Bills FO were planning for Evans to be the big contract this year and Peters to be next.

The Bills have never said they won't discuss a new deal. However, Peters is under contract and is required to be in camp. Once he shows they will talk about a new contract. Why is this hard for some to understand?

Schobel skipped 4 OTA's when he still had 3 years left on a contract extension he signed previously. Schobel didn't talk to the press about his dissatisfaction. He had made the pro bowl and the Bills signed Kelsay for more $ than Schobel was getting. The Bills gave him a new 7 year deal with a substantial raise and wiped out the last 3 years of his old contract. They ponied up just as camp opened.

Compare that with Peters. He made the pro bowl to and league wide, he is much higher rated at his position than Schobel ever was. He skipped OTA's clearly sending the message that he was serious about a new deal just as Schobel did. He also has not talked to the press about it. With Peters, the silence is characterized as "stonewalling" while Schobel's was characterized as being noble and respectful of the team, not airing dirty laundry etc, etc. With Schobel they gave him a new deal and did it in time for camp. With Peters, nothing.

The reason Peters is not in camp is for some reason they won't do for him what they just did last year for aging veteran Aaron Schobel. Who would you say is more valuable to the team's future?

Why is this so hard to understand?

Yes, and Schobel was in camp, in the OTAs, singing the team's praises the whole time negotiations were going on. He wasn't a no show for an entire off season. Not to mention, he was the big contract this year. My guess, and that's all it is, is that the Bills FO were planning for Evans to be the big contract this year and Peters to be next.

Check your facts, Schobel skipped 4 OTA's and had 3 years left on his deal. The Bills signed Kelsay to a contract even larger than his that year. I am not aware of a single disrespectful comment Peters has made in public. Schobel sang the teams praises after they gave him new and very lucrative deal.

The situations are far more alike than different. Most of the differences argue in favor of it being even more appropriate to give Peters a raise than it was for Schobel.

Schobel skipped 4 OTA's when he still had 3 years left on a contract extension he signed previously. Schobel didn't talk to the press about his dissatisfaction. He had made the pro bowl and the Bills signed Kelsay for more $ than Schobel was getting. The Bills gave him a new 7 year deal with a substantial raise and wiped out the last 3 years of his old contract. They ponied up just as camp opened.

Compare that with Peters. He made the pro bowl to and league wide, he is much higher rated at his position than Schobel ever was. He skipped OTA's clearly sending the message that he was serious about a new deal just as Schobel did. He also has not talked to the press about it. With Peters, the silence is characterized as "stonewalling" while Schobel's was characterized as being noble and respectful of the team, not airing dirty laundry etc, etc. With Schobel they gave him a new deal and did it in time for camp. With Peters, nothing.

The reason Peters is not in camp is for some reason they won't do for him what they just did last year for aging veteran Aaron Schobel. Who would you say is more valuable to the team's future?

Go back and check your facts. Schobel signed his new deal on August 24th. That's hardly "as camp opened." While he skipped OTAs, Schobel was there all throughout camp busting his ass getting prepared for a season. He wasnt whining and staying home like Peters is.

Also, i have yet to see proof that Schobel was dissatisfied with his old deal. He simply got paid in line with what other top DEs are making. Another difference is that Schobel had proven his worth over 5-6 seasons, not 1.

If signing a contract on August 24 is your idea of getting it done before training camp, then I want a piece of your calendar. When did facts matter to you anyway?

Go back and check your facts. Schobel signed his new deal on August 24th. That's hardly "as camp opened." While he skipped OTAs, Schobel was there all throughout camp busting his ass getting prepared for a season. He wasnt whining and staying home like Peters is.

Also, i have yet to see proof that Schobel was dissatisfied with his old deal. He simply got paid in line with what other top DEs are making. Another difference is that Schobel had proven his worth over 5-6 seasons, not 1.

Well said and Peters is coming off an injury.