The Dark Knight

shrader

We saw it today. Solid movie. Good flick. Did have some flaws. Batman was drab I agree. The people around him were more interesting(M.Caine and Morgan Freeman). The girl was absolutely horrible(Maggie Gyllenhaal). Can't act a lick. Pretty average looking as well. Her character was bland as hell. But I thought the story moved along pretty well. Special effects and gadgets were good. And I do agree that The Joker was the movie. Without that performance it drops from my 7.5/10 rating to a 6/10. For me the super hero thing is getting a little tired but I am interested in The Spirit coming out later. I used to love the Warren Magazine version of those comics.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh please, 47,000 people???? WOW....47,000 + people have forgotten about the godfather movie.......

the frigging godfather has been out for nearly 35 years, batman or whatever the comic strip hero du jour movie of the day has been out for 3.5 days...dont make yourself sound silly by comparing the 2 or referencing some site that pretends do, by some purely subjective rating system...our hop pocket society will forget about batman, or the dark knight or whatever he/she/it is called this week once underdog 2 comes out... :bag:

boy do you get excited...I simply posted the imdb website's rating and didn't make any personal comparisons to the movie.

Did I like the movie? Hell yes. Would I say that it's better than The Godfather? No, not even close...I think part of the reason why people are so excited is because this is an amazing piece of work for a comic book movie (see previous letdowns like Batman and Robin, The Daredevil, etc.). Actually, I think quite a few people haven't seen The Godfather. I don't think my wife has sat through the full movie once even though I must've seen it at least a dozen times in my life (it was on consistently several times a year, probably still, on UB cable).

The girl was absolutely horrible(Maggie Gyllenhaal). Can't act a lick. Pretty average looking as well. Her character was bland as hell.
I found her to be incredibly unattractive. I would've preferred Katie Holmes before she went and became a Scientology nut. You'd think Bruce Wayne could do better than those two...though it wouldn't make much sense to have a "Christmas Jones Nuclear Physicist" type onscreen as a powerful lawyer.

We saw it today. Solid movie. Good flick. Did have some flaws. Batman was drab I agree. The people around him were more interesting(M.Caine and Morgan Freeman). The girl was absolutely horrible(Maggie Gyllenhaal). Can't act a lick. Pretty average looking as well. Her character was bland as hell. But I thought the story moved along pretty well. Special effects and gadgets were good. And I do agree that The Joker was the movie. Without that performance it drops from my 7.5/10 rating to a 6/10. For me the super hero thing is getting a little tired but I am interested in The Spirit coming out later. I used to love the Warren Magazine version of those comics.

I tend to agree with you that the supporting characters were more interesting than Batman was. To compare, Christian Bale was great in Batman Begins, in Dark Knight he gives a good performance as he seems to be more of the straight character this time around. Still he does a fine job of portraying both Bruce Wayne & Batman. And his "Batman voice" does'nt bother me at all.

The great performances this time around go to Heath Ledger & Aaron Eckhart. Ledger is fantastic in his lunatic logic ways of the Joker. Eckhart's Harvey Dent/Twoface, is a masterful work as well.

I disagree with you on Maggie Gyllenhall. Horrible & Can't act a lick? She did nothing outstanding, but she was a step up from Katie Holmes.

It was great to see Gary Oldman get a more expanded part as Jim Gordon this time around.

Supposedly the voice is right along the lines of how it was written in the comicbooks. He can't just talk in Bruce Wayne voice. Anyway, its a very minor detail in the big picture.

I disagree with you on Maggie Gyllenhall. Horrible & Can't act a lick? She did nothing outstanding, but she was a step up from Katie Holmes.

I may be a bit harsh but she really did seem out of place. In the end, I don't think her part was big enough to really hurt the movie anyway. Just that when I see her act like that in a big movie I figure she has to know someone or daddy got her part or something. No way she got there on talent. It would have been nice to have Nicole Kidman back. :lol:

Saw the flick yesterday afternoon w/ my wife. We both loved it. I'm not in the business and I don't pretend to be a critic, so take my opinion for what it's worth. I go to the movies to be entertained, and I was completely satisfied. Ledger was phenomenal, as most have already said. I had a melancholy feeling at the end of the movie, knowing there will be no reprise of that actor in that (or any) role.

I really enjoyed the psycho- and sociological aspects of the movie, and some of the dialogue was fantastic. It was a superhero movie that actually made you think (if you wanted to).

To me, debating whether Maggie G was "hot enough" for the Rachel role is sort of silly. Casting a "hottie" in that role would have been counterintuitive, as there needed to be a distinction between Wayne's lifelong gal-pal and the supermodels he appears with on a moment's notice. He can "get" anyone he wants, but he's forever tied to the "normal" girl he grew up with.

SPOILER ALERT (highlight text to read):

Nice touch with Alfred burning the note at the end; allowing Wayne to read it would have served no purpose. Killing off Rachel also frees Batman up to be a real bad-ass in the next installment.

Saw the flick yesterday afternoon w/ my wife. We both loved it. I'm not in the business and I don't pretend to be a critic, so take my opinion for what it's worth. I go to the movies to be entertained, and I was completely satisfied. Ledger was phenomenal, as most have already said. I had a melancholy feeling at the end of the movie, knowing there will be no reprise of that actor in that (or any) role.

I really enjoyed the psycho- and sociological aspects of the movie, and some of the dialogue was fantastic. It was a superhero movie that actually made you think (if you wanted to).

I was pretty sad listening to the Joker's last rant to Batman while he was upside down knowing that was the last we'd ever see of the Heath Joker. You're right that the psychological stuff and dialogue really made the movie too. As much credit as Heath Ledger gets, the writers deserve a ton of credit for creating a VERY scary Joker and actually getting the character right.

And, not surprisingly, early work on the sequel happened a while back.

Link

“I think that’s the scariest thing – to think, could we come up with a third movie that was as good as the first two? Can we top ourselves?” screenwriter David Goyer asked aloud, almost rhetorically, in a recent conversation with MTV News. “Doing it a third time would be a big proposition.”

Make no mistake about it, though, a third film HAS been discussed, Goyer confessed, revealing that, while nothing is concrete, both a villain and a theme have been bandied about.

“We’ve only talked loosely about it, though, Chris and I,” Goyer said.

Interestingly, it’s the theme, and not the villain, that most interests me, especially given how the latter seems inexorably tied to the former in this new modern Batman universe. (Fear the predominant issue in “Begins” precipitating the introduction of Scarecrow, escalation in “Knight” similarly calling for The Joker.

The fact that Goyer has a theme he wants to keep in mind for a possible “Batman 3” means he also has a direction, a crisis, and, yes, a villain.

So what is it?

“I have one,” Goyer said laughing. “But I’m not going to tell you. Chris is very particular about that.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/

so you thought it was drab...fantastic...apparently 47 thousand people think that The Dark Knight was better than The Godfather, which used to be IMDB's top rated movie... 9.7/10 :blink:

Self-selecting sample. The people who voted were the people who were eager to see it to begin with, who were the people most likely to rate it so highly. It's not like 47000 objective, disinterested people voted.

Self-selecting sample. The people who voted were the people who were eager to see it to begin with, who were the people most likely to rate it so highly. It's not like 47000 objective, disinterested people voted.

I too don't think the boards or the votes on IMDB count for anything. But a slight counterpoint to your argument - I was very eager to see Indy 4 and used to visit the boards occassionally. When the movie disappointed me, out of spite I made sure I went to that page and gave it a poor rating. My point is that the votes for movies are not necessarily just by people who loved or hated a movie.

I was pretty sad listening to the Joker's last rant to Batman while he was upside down knowing that was the last we'd ever see of the Heath Joker.

Go see it again. Problem solved.

What I really wonder is why does anyone care? My list of favorite movies is very different from yours, which is very different from anyone else posting in here. Hell, I'm sure there's someone out there who thinks Caddyshack 2 was a good movie. Personally, I could care less if someone else enjoyed a movie less than I did. All this greatest movie ever talk is absurd. There is no such thing.

What I really wonder is why does anyone care? My list of favorite movies is very different from yours, which is very different from anyone else posting in here. Hell, I'm sure there's someone out there who thinks Caddyshack 2 was a good movie. Personally, I could care less if someone else enjoyed a movie less than I did. All this greatest movie ever talk is absurd. There is no such thing.

Very true that movie preferences are very subjective. This movie was great without having to apply the 'est' at the end. It is immaterial.

IMHO, 'Gone Baby Gone' was the best movie of last year and NCFOM was way over-hyped. But none of those two statements matter to anyone but me.

Go see it again. Problem solved.

Two of my favorite comedies are The Cable Guy and Death to Smoochie. Even Jon Stewart who played a big role in Death to Smoochie makes fun of it for being a bad movie no one saw/like

Hell, I'm sure there's someone out there who thinks Caddyshack 2 was a good movie.

Yeah his poster name is "Beerball" <_<

Haven't seen the movie yet and have a pretty decent job of avoiding spoilers (thanks to those of you who have posted here). :blink:

Will probably go in a couple weeks after the buzz has died down.

Haven't seen the movie yet and have a pretty decent job of avoiding spoilers (thanks to those of you who have posted here). :blink:

Just be careful with my posts. I started the thread so I have no problem with talking about specific details. But hey, you've been warned.

Just saw it. Here's my 2 cents. They can stop making any more Batman movies because they won't be able to top The Dark Knight. And it will be a travesty if Heath Ledger doesn't win an Oscar. In comparison Jack Nicholson was a goof. Ledger is the soul of the Joker.

PTR

Just saw it. Here's my 2 cents. They can stop making any more Batman movies because they won't be able to top The Dark Knight. And it will be a travesty if Heath Ledger doesn't win an Oscar. In comparison Jack Nicholson was a goof. Ledger is the soul of the Joker.

PTR

Agree 100%, before the I saw the movie I thought that all this oscar talk was just because ledger was dead, but this really was one of the best performances I've seen. Awesome movie overall, I don't understand how some people thought it was boring or too long, I thought it was the quickest 2.5 hour movie I've ever seen.