The Dark Knight

shrader

Or the pointless blowing up of a hospital. Not only was it useless and did not help the plot at all, but was 100% unbelievable that anyone could load up that many explosives in a hospital (24hr facility) without anyone noticing ...

I was figuring if you just plant a few in strategic places near the O2 lines, that might cause the a whole building explosion.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The movie writers or the cops? Because all of the cops thought they were transporting batman to jail, and that the joker was going to let up because he had his demands met.

Well, considering the fact that Jim Gordon was driving Dent's transport vehicle, I'd say that at least one cop knew what was going on.

......but I like Fellowship the best because the cast is still (relatively) small and the fight scene at the end is pretty personal (i.e. it isn't 10,000 CGI guys fighting 20,000 other CGI guys; it's the Fellowship fighting a bunch of orcs).

ditto

And that pencil scene.. wtf? You know in real life people would just be pulling out guns right off and pointing them at the guy. Why even bother getting close to him?

All the guns were checked in for the meeting - it was shown on film. Or did you miss this point or forget to check the review you borrowed it from? How he got in meeting is different issue.

Sometimes people with agenda have so many holes in review they ought to just write blogs which no one will refute.

I was figuring if you just plant a few in strategic places near the O2 lines, that might cause the a whole building explosion.

imdb.com has a FAQ for the Dark Knight. Here's what they have for the Joker and the bombs...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/faq#.2.1.97

How does the Joker manage to get so much done so quickly?

The Joker made his first appearance, off screen, at the end of Batman Begins when then-Lieutenant Gordon tells Batman about a robbery the Joker committed. The Dark Knight takes place six months (as confirmed by interviews) after Batman Begins. The Joker has committed several crimes during that time. He is known to the police, to Batman, and to the mob. None of them think he is anybody to be worried about or taken seriously.

Then he begins his reign of terror, and seems suddenly able to do some rather difficult things (break into places, set bombs, etc). The obvious answer is that he had been spending the last six months carefully planning out everything so that he would be ready. For example, the Joker blows up a hospital. Most likely, he had set the explosives in place long before. This is a trait very typical of the comic book Joker -- he's able to prepare a crime for a long time and yet carry it out before anyone realizes what he's up to. He then "predicts" a crime that has already been committed.

Can I just say how !@#$ing awesome I thought that movie was?

MUCH better interpretation of the Joker than Nicholson's effort. MUCH better.

Edit: On the other hand, I don't know if it was the writing or not that made Ledger's role that much better. As far as I'm concerned, the back-story on Ledger's Joker is far more in-depth and believable.

Edit: On the other hand, I don't know if it was the writing or not that made Ledger's role that much better. As far as I'm concerned, the back-story on Ledger's Joker is far more in-depth and believable.

What back story?

Can I just say how !@#$ing awesome I thought that movie was?

MUCH better interpretation of the Joker than Nicholson's effort. MUCH better.

Nicholson and Ledger were both great in the role that was given to them, but yeah, it all comes down to the writing. This one was written so much better and its everything that character should be. But then again, Hollywood like the Nicholson version so much that they decided to make the Riddler and Two-Face be the same exact character in Batman Forever.

Nicholson and Ledger were both great in the role that was given to them, but yeah, it all comes down to the writing. This one was written so much better and its everything that character should be. But then again, Hollywood like the Nicholson version so much that they decided to make the Riddler and Two-Face be the same exact character in Batman Forever.

The difference is, I believe Nicholsons Joker was supposed to be more like the comic book Joker and more "comical" with one-liners and all where as Ledgers Joker was supposed to be darker and more sadistic. The newer movies are less like the original comics and more like they are just borrowing characters and settings from teh comics, and making them more modern day, by appealing to what most people want in a movie like this today, dark and creepyness. Think about it this way, how many people here with children would let their kids watch the first 4 Batman movies? How many would take their young kids to see these movies? How many times in the original movies did you see a person get shot and killed in the originals and how many times did you see it in just the dark night? These movies are geared more toward the adult movie goer then the younger crowd like the others were, or say, a series like Spiderman

AS for the "plot holes", seriously? you are going to complain about stuff like that in a movie that is about a guy who is a crime fighter who has all these gadgets and "flys" around the city undetected fighting crazy criminals?

Why not complain about the fact that Dent, not to long after having half his face burned off, can walk around fine with half his face missing and not die of an infection

The movie writers or the cops? Because all of the cops thought they were transporting batman to jail, and that the joker was going to let up because he had his demands met.

.. you know.. why else would they yell out and demand "No more dead cops"

So the Joker, on headline TV, would get to see what he wanted to see?

apus, you've actually got that backwards. At some point the comics Joker may have been more like Nicholson, but that was probably only around the time of the tv show. The darker Ledger version is far more similar to what the Joker has been most of the time. A lot of people don't realize this because the two most popular versions of the character were the tv show and Burton's movie.

edit: And as for all those people always whining about reality, why have I not seen anyone comment about the fact that Batman's actions probably should have triggered World War 3 in this movie?

All the guns were checked in for the meeting - it was shown on film. Or did you miss this point or forget to check the review you borrowed it from? How he got in meeting is different issue.

Wait.. I don't remember, but I thought they were pointing guns at him as he walked out? Which is why he had to show off the explosives inside his coat.

apus, you've actually got that backwards. At some point the comics Joker may have been more like Nicholson, but that was probably only around the time of the tv show. The darker Ledger version is far more similar to what the Joker has been most of the time. A lot of people don't realize this because the two most popular versions of the character were the tv show and Burton's movie.

edit: And as for all those people always whining about reality, why have I not seen anyone comment about the fact that Batman's actions probably should have triggered World War 3 in this movie?

I have always been more familiar with the Joker character from the movies, the early comic version may have been a little different, but I don't think he was ever as sadistic as the one Ledger played

Spoiler:

Spoiler: He contradicts himself at another point in the movie and says he gave himself the scars because of his relationship with his wife, so we have no idea which one is correct, if either. I wouldn't exactly call that backstory.

That's because he has no backstory/origin. The Joker has told mulitple origin stories in the comics. I loved how they pulled in that aspect of the character by having him tell those two stories (and he started to tell a third one).