Phoenix has landed on Mars!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

plus its frigging cool, its mars for chrissakes

One of the few Government programs that actually sees a return on its investment

Computers, GPS, cell phones, medical imaging, solar energy, food preservation...i could go on if you'd like

All that and more for less than 1% of the Federal Budget

This money wouldn't be better spent drilling some !@#$ing oil out of Alaska????

For !@#$ sake, and no offense Darin, but who gives a sh-- about the pristine condition of that !@#$ing state? If it saves me from having to hear one more person B word about gas prices, its worth every dead baby seal.

For !@#$ sake, and no offense Darin, but who gives a sh-- about the pristine condition of that !@#$ing state? If it saves me from having to hear one more person B word about gas prices, its worth every dead baby seal.

No it would not be better spent drilling the sh-- out of Alaska. Perhaps the energy crisis will be solved by NASA. Money spent towards research and development benefits mankind infinitely more then myopically drilling pristine habitat and !@#$ing up our environment even more. Necessity is the mother of invention- or used to be. Now Americans are instant gratification driven- instead of being pragmatic and being more utilitarian. The cure for everything is in nature. We need to stop wiping out species. People need to stop being so selfish, and we need to work together

Do you believe for one second that if they found a crapload of oil in Alaska that gas would ever cost less? I'm sure Exxon/Mobil is just itchin' to bring back 99-cent gas. $4 gas is here to stay because we have no other option. Then you have ruined wilderness and still pay $4 for gas.

PTR

Has the lander confirmed it's really frozen H2O ?

The Phoenix website is portraying it like they don't know for sure, but, the chief investigator spoke like it was a forgone conclusion. In doing a quick search, here is a press release from 10 years ago that makes a pretty good case that it is indeed water.

The Phoenix website is portraying it like they don't know for sure, but, the chief investigator spoke like it was a forgone conclusion. In doing a quick search, here is a press release from 10 years ago that makes a pretty good case that it is indeed water.

Maybe they will find frozen Martians or Martian critters from eons ago when the planet was warmer and water flowed freely.

No it would not be better spent drilling the sh-- out of Alaska. Perhaps the energy crisis will be solved by NASA. Money spent towards research and development benefits mankind infinitely more then myopically drilling pristine habitat and !@#$ing up our environment even more. Necessity is the mother of invention- or used to be. Now Americans are instant gratification driven- instead of being pragmatic and being more utilitarian. The cure for everything is in nature. We need to stop wiping out species. People need to stop being so selfish, and we need to work together

Except it's not pristine and it's "wilderness" only in the sense that nothing can live there about 10 months a year.

There won't be a single species wiped out by drilling in ANWR. That's the ridiculous fear mongering that put us in this hole in the first place.

I'm as "environmental" as all but the hippies out there but not drilling ANWR ain't based on environmental fact. It kills me that people think it's smarter to drill offshore in "asssmashistan" or in the rain forests then bring oil across the ocean from places that don't have a single enviromental control in place rather than drill in the most controlled oil producing country in the history of the world.

Very enlightened.

Oil bad. America bad.

Ice? Sweet!!!

Quick, someone send up a bottle of Kettle One, some tonic water, and a slice of lime.

Instead of sending stuff up why not bring the ice back.

Yuppies are willing to spend $1 for a bottle of Earth water. Imagine how much they'd pay for some genuine Mars water