Phoenix has landed on Mars!

You forgot about velcro. Without velcro, you wouldn't be able to strap on your helmet or put your shoes on.

Actually it was invented in 1941 and started to be sold in the 1950s.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We wouldn't have computers if it weren't for wasting billions to go to Mars?

Link?

NASA is not the origin of digital computers, but their requirements in terms of speed, size, weight, non-destructive memory and lots of environmental characteristics accelerated the development of todays small, fast computers that are based on semiconductors and external storage. There's many books dedicated to the subject, have at it.

I guess I never realized that space exploration and research is "wasted billions" :oops:

Read here dingus. Go to post #59 on this page. Educate yourself.
7. The development of the CCD (charged coupled device) pretty much eliminated the need for scalpels in mammograms. Doctors can now use a needle to do biopsies, eliminating scars and saving patients and insurance providers over 300% on these procedures.

The CCD is pretty much inside every modern digital camcorder and many digital still cameras

From what I gather... Things and CHANGE catch on rather slowly... The space program (yes, expensive) has been a catalyst for change in the way people think of a product...

IMO.

Technologies makes it way to the military and space programs first, then medical, then down the road to the general public. An example would be the latest camera technology. Digital imagining has been used by the military and hospitals much longer then they became available to general public.

I saw a presentation from the chief investigator of this program last year. While it is by no means a small budget at $420M, it isn't huge money. The Phoenix name comes from the amount of material reuse from previous program efforts. The lander itself was originally supposed to be a follow-on vehicle for the one that crashed ~10 years ago. It has a small backhoe apparatus that is supposed to dig through about 6-18" of soil down into the ice. The plan is to thaw the ice, look for evidence of life in the soil and water samples, and see if something could be grown using Mars soil and water for human consumption.

One of the few Government programs that actually sees a return on its investment

Computers, GPS, cell phones, medical imaging, solar energy, food preservation...i could go on if you'd like

All that and more for less than 1% of the Federal Budget

Wait, I thought we had computers and the internet because of Bill Gates and Al Gore???

I saw a presentation from the chief investigator of this program last year. While it is by no means a small budget at $420M, it isn't huge money. The Phoenix name comes from the amount of material reuse from previous program efforts. The lander itself was originally supposed to be a follow-on vehicle for the one that crashed ~10 years ago. It has a small backhoe apparatus that is supposed to dig through about 6-18" of soil down into the ice. The plan is to thaw the ice, look for evidence of life in the soil and water samples, and see if something could be grown using Mars soil and water for human consumption.

It will also stay as a weather station after it's analysis of the ice. :lol:

Wait, I thought we had computers and the internet because of Bill Gates and Al Gore???

How many times do I have to link this?

interesting, I had read some of that, but never the exact wording he used at the time...

Anecdotally, in 1986 I worked for a computer systems company. We were doing a beta test of a very early router, and our partner was a college in Michigan that was gonna try it for us and see if it was ready for prime time. We had internet then, but only a few companies, universities and the military were connected. You couldn't use it for commercial purposes at all. We wanted to FTP (file copy) the software update to them instead of sending a tape or CD via Fed Ex. We had to get all kinds of lawyers to decide if it was legal or not. Eventually they decided it was ok since we weren't selling anything.

Years later congress passed legislation to allow commercialization of the government net and history was made.

It was a big joke about Al Gore at the time, since the internet itself had been around for so many years and the technology for the www came out of CERN in Europe, so how did he invent it? :lol:

Looking back, it was very important legislation to change it's purpose from a closed research network to the open Information Highway.

It will also stay as a weather station after it's analysis of the ice. :lol:

IIRC, I don't think they expect it to survive the winter season, but I'm sure it will track the data till a storm takes it out...