Playing time for 3rd CBs.

todd

From Peter King's article:

According to NFL playing-time documents, the average third corner in the league played 57 percent of his team's defensive snaps last year.

I had no idea it was that high. Not only that, we play in a division with the Patriots. Any discussion regarding our need for more than two starting corners is now dead. 57% of snaps for what used to be called a dime corner? Wow. I'm surprised. We might as well be discussing whether or not we need 3 starting LBs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writ.../11/mmqb/1.html

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to NFL playing-time documents, the average third corner in the league played 57 percent of his team's defensive snaps last year.

I had no idea it was that high. Not only that, we play in a division with the Patriots. Any discussion regarding our need for more than two starting corners is now dead. 57% of snaps for what used to be called a dime corner? Wow. I'm surprised. We might as well be discussing whether or not we need 3 starting LBs.

Most fans realize the need for 3 good corners. The term for the 3rd CB is nickel, not dime.

The term for the 3rd CB is nickel, not dime.

Yeah, but we don't want to short-change anyone here. :blink:

I'd like to think our corners are all above average.

Think about it, usually teams go into nickle packages if it's more than 2 and 8 or 3 and 4. Also, any two minute drills, or the offense get's apenalty on first down, and get's backed up, the tendancy is to pass. Yeah I could easily see at least nickle packages 50% of the time.

I certainly agree with this premise, while keeping in mind that the ultimate objective is to disrupt the passer so we don't have to rely on the CBs to hold their coverage as long.

Pressure, baby..........gotta bring it.

We already had three starting corners.

I'll still be disappointed with the result of the first round if McKelvin is just a solid starter. He needs to be something special to make me look back on this kindly.

They were starting because we had no other options. I loved the way Greer and McGee played but they are not exactly elite. Overall, our secondary wasn't very good and didn't have a lot of size. McKelvin is a little bigger than those too and has shut down some real good receiver prospects in college (Calvin Johnson for instance). The best thing about the move is that we took what was once a weakness and made it into a strength. This is a passing league now.

They were starting because we had no other options. I loved the way Greer and McGee played but they are not exactly elite. Overall, our secondary wasn't very good and didn't have a lot of size. McKelvin is a little bigger than those too and has shut down some real good receiver prospects in college (Calvin Johnson for instance). The best thing about the move is that we took what was once a weakness and made it into a strength. This is a passing league now.

Somebody should have told Fairchild!

We already had three starting corners.

I'll still be disappointed with the result of the first round if McKelvin is just a solid starter. He needs to be something special to make me look back on this kindly.

:thumbsup::blink:

You're correct. McGee, Greer, and (who the hell played nickel?) could all start in most college intramural leagues.

What means this? Sarcasm regarding folks unhappy with the McCorner pick?

OF COURSE!!

i mean our o line did let up the fewest sacks in frachise history -- so they are ok at the least.

or corners were TERRIBLE last year. we schemed and did things up front to try to stop the passes (and did fairly well against the long deep bomb) but every 3rd and long it was just a matter of watching the cb cut the wrong way or just get jumped over for the ball.

2nd and 3rd wr's had career days against us all year.

OF COURSE!!

i mean our o line did let up the fewest sacks in frachise history -- so they are ok at the least.

or corners were TERRIBLE last year. we schemed and did things up front to try to stop the passes (and did fairly well against the long deep bomb) but every 3rd and long it was just a matter of watching the cb cut the wrong way or just get jumped over for the ball.

2nd and 3rd wr's had career days against us all year.

How did the OL look on 3rd and short? Did you see any push from the Center position? Let me know because I do want to hear about it.

As for the corners in 07, do you think that a better pass rush might have helped them even a little?

If you are happy about a football team in Buffalo devoting its top resources to the secondary time and again, that is great. My point is that others mights disagree. Also, losses shouldn't surprise you.

How did the OL look on 3rd and short? Did you see any push from the Center position? Let me know because I do want to hear about it.

As for the corners in 07, do you think that a better pass rush might have helped them even a little?

If you are happy about a football team in Buffalo devoting its top resources to the secondary time and again, that is great. My point is that others mights disagree. Also, losses shouldn't surprise you.

you see a C in the draft that would come in and play well enough to improve our run on 3rd and short to warrent a pick?

think having zero passing threats in the flats due to smurf WRs might have gotten the box stacked?

and with THE SAME LINEMEN AS LAST SEASON we had tthe 8th rated pass rush in the nfl in 06. this is with one extra great corner and 2 good LBs. now we have 2 new (as poz was hurt) lb's and we added a stud corner.

it all counts bill, including the secondary. how can you say that we had good corners last season, we had street free agents back there. when a team with 3 pro bowlers on the OL and a pro bowl QB spreads you out with 4 or 5 wide, you need to cover. you need to make plays against the pass in the secondary.

last year the oline was good, not great but good. last year our secondary was HORRIBLE. not bad but horrible.

putting the 11th pick into a decent o lineman who can't even start for your team at his natural position is a horrible move compared to the top corner in the draft who projects to being a day one stud and starter. they are all football players bill, even if they aren't huge 300 pounders.

you see a C in the draft that would come in and play well enough to improve our run on 3rd and short to warrent a pick?

think having zero passing threats in the flats due to smurf WRs might have gotten the box stacked?

and with THE SAME LINEMEN AS LAST SEASON we had tthe 8th rated pass rush in the nfl in 06. this is with one extra great corner and 2 good LBs. now we have 2 new (as poz was hurt) lb's and we added a stud corner.

it all counts bill, including the secondary. how can you say that we had good corners last season, we had street free agents back there. when a team with 3 pro bowlers on the OL and a pro bowl QB spreads you out with 4 or 5 wide, you need to cover. you need to make plays against the pass in the secondary.

last year the oline was good, not great but good. last year our secondary was HORRIBLE. not bad but horrible.

putting the 11th pick into a decent o lineman who can't even start for your team at his natural position is a horrible move compared to the top corner in the draft who projects to being a day one stud and starter. they are all football players bill, even if they aren't huge 300 pounders.

McKelvin makes our secondary complete? ;) We'll now keep Brady and Co. at bay because of the McKelvin addition? :ph34r:

I don't care who your corners are, unless you get the push up front you will continue to get lit up. Don't get me wrong, good CBs help, obviously, but unless Stroud comes in and does what he is projected to do, not much else will change. If Stroud can't command double teams freeing up your edge guys (who aren't world beaters to begin with) your CBs will be exposed regardless.

As far as your sarcasm regarding OL, well, a C may not have been the pick @ 11 a particular G would have helped tremondously. :P

One would hope that any first-round selection, particularly one taken in the top 20, would be more than just a solid starter. He was picked for that reason.

If you had gotten your wish for our first-round pick, whoever that is, the same would apply.