4th Round Selection 2: Derek Fine TE Kansas

Dan

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not upset, but I think the people who are feel we are drafting projected 7th rounders in the 4th.

Correct ... People are reading the draft projections. Both of our 4th rounders were projected as 7th or UDFA.

You never know? I trust Modrak and the coaches more than the people who write the draft marketing data.

Sorry but the last 2 picks have sucked (both should have been 7th-UDFA) with the DE pick not that bad

I agree 100% I'm mystified by this draft so far. Every pick after Leodis McKelvin has some problem associated with them that makes them a questionable pick IMO.

TE | (6'2", 251, 4.849) | KANSAS

Scouts Grade: 35

Flags: (S: SPEED) Player lacks ideal speed at position

Strengths: Hybrid capable of lining up at both the tight end and fullback position. Quick off the ball and able to avoid contact working against press coverage. Does a good job of selling the run and gets into the flats quickly off play action. Smooth, runs clean routes and is at best getting open underneath. Has a wide frame and does a nice job of using his body to shield defenders from the ball. Possesses an understanding of how to attack defenders and set up breaks. Appears to read defenses well and does a nice job of finding open areas working against zone coverage. Gives great effort as an in-line blocker and is relentless once in position. Takes sound angles to blocks, flashes the ability to adjust to the moving target in space and can get into position at the second level. Is as effective lead blocking from the backfield as he is lined up at tight end and is somewhat versatile.

Weaknesses: Lacks top-end speed and isn't going to stretch the middle of the field. Lacks the overall strength to consistently sustain blocks, loses balance at times and is seen on the ground a lot. Does not have great body control and struggles to adjust to passes thrown outside frame.

Overall: Fine signed with Kansas in 2002 but didn't enroll because of an injury. After redshirting the 2003 season, he played in all 35 of the Jayhawks' games (19 starts) over the next three years (2004-06'), collecting 52 receptions for 615 yards (11.8 average) and six touchdowns. Fine played in all 13 games (10 starts) as a senior, hauling in 46 catches for 394 yards (8.6 average) and four touchdowns. He also was a productive contributor on special teams coverage units during his career (11 tackles, 10 assists). Bottom line: Fine is versatile enough to provide depth for a team that likes to use H-Backs but he doesn't have prototypical speed or power so he projects as a seventh round pick.

Linkage

This draft is a C so far in my opinion.

I agree 100% I'm mystified by this draft so far. Every pick after Leodis McKelvin has some problem associated with them that makes them a questionable pick IMO.

TE | (6'2", 251, 4.849) | KANSAS

Scouts Grade: 35

Flags: (S: SPEED) Player lacks ideal speed at position

Strengths: Hybrid capable of lining up at both the tight end and fullback position. Quick off the ball and able to avoid contact working against press coverage. Does a good job of selling the run and gets into the flats quickly off play action. Smooth, runs clean routes and is at best getting open underneath. Has a wide frame and does a nice job of using his body to shield defenders from the ball. Possesses an understanding of how to attack defenders and set up breaks. Appears to read defenses well and does a nice job of finding open areas working against zone coverage. Gives great effort as an in-line blocker and is relentless once in position. Takes sound angles to blocks, flashes the ability to adjust to the moving target in space and can get into position at the second level. Is as effective lead blocking from the backfield as he is lined up at tight end and is somewhat versatile.

Weaknesses: Lacks top-end speed and isn't going to stretch the middle of the field. Lacks the overall strength to consistently sustain blocks, loses balance at times and is seen on the ground a lot. Does not have great body control and struggles to adjust to passes thrown outside frame.

Overall: Fine signed with Kansas in 2002 but didn't enroll because of an injury. After redshirting the 2003 season, he played in all 35 of the Jayhawks' games (19 starts) over the next three years (2004-06'), collecting 52 receptions for 615 yards (11.8 average) and six touchdowns. Fine played in all 13 games (10 starts) as a senior, hauling in 46 catches for 394 yards (8.6 average) and four touchdowns. He also was a productive contributor on special teams coverage units during his career (11 tackles, 10 assists). Bottom line: Fine is versatile enough to provide depth for a team that likes to use H-Backs but he doesn't have prototypical speed or power so he projects as a seventh round pick.

Linkage

This draft is a C so far in my opinion.

Still going with an A- or B+. We've addressed our needs and I think Fine will be a fine young player for us.

I think a lot of this is special teams driven. You have to remember, we lost Wire, Haggen, Stamer and Aiken. We need to replenish our special teams. I think it's a good thing that the team is conscious of this.

Yeah, those guys were the core of why we have had the best or top 3 special teams units for the last few years. If we want to have any chance against the Pats*, Chargers, etc. we have to beat them in that phase of the game. And Moorman has to have a better year....

That's 4 guys to replace too, not just 1 or 2

Ok, let me get this straight. People are upset because the 9th or 10th TE chosen in the draft is not projected to be the next Antonio Gates?

You people slay me.

Well said, eball. In fact, if he does turn out to be another Antonio Gates, the critics on this board will then say Fine was a 'reach' in the 4th round 'cause, after all, Gates was undrafted! :thumbsup:

Not saying he's gonna be another Gates, but he'll be Fine.

Sorry but the last 2 picks have sucked (both should have been 7th-UDFA) with the DE pick not that bad

And who decided this? i know, you read Billy Joe's draft website that he publishes from mom's basement, and that should have been the official draft list of the bills.

But, i am guessing that the NFL front office guys might know a bit more than the average schmuck who publishes a mock draft.

And who decided this? i know, you read Billy Joe's draft website that he publishes from mom's basement, and that should have been the official draft list of the bills.

But, i am guessing that the NFL front office guys might know a bit more than the average schmuck who publishes a mock draft.

I agree, but it makes a person wonder when every public draft source has him listed as a 7th rounder. If he was projected as a 5th round pick by those sources I'd say big deal, but that's not the case.

BTW, Can we please stop with fine puns. You guys are walking a fine line with going overboard.

I agree, but it makes a person wonder when every public draft source has him listed as a 7th rounder. If he was projected as a 5th round pick by those sources I'd say big deal, but that's not the case.

BTW, Can we please stop with fine puns. You guys are walking a fine line with going overboard.

I dont care where any "experts" had them ranked. Here we are in round 5, and i see a good number of "projected" 2nd and 3rd rounders still on the draft board. Thsi tells me that the experts really have no clue what they are talking about. And if they can overrate players by 3-4 rounds, then can underrate them by that much as well.

i'll stop with the puns when posters stop with the "we didnt draft position X, so we are going to suck" posts.

I dont care where any "experts" had them ranked. Here we are in round 5, and i see a good number of "projected" 2nd and 3rd rounders still on the draft board. Thsi tells me that the experts really have no clue what they are talking about. And if they can overrate players by 3-4 rounds, then can underrate them by that much as well.

i'll stop with the puns when posters stop with the "we didnt draft position X, so we are going to suck" posts.

Ok, you win this one.

As far as the puns go I guess you have no intention of ever stopping them. :lol: I'll just deal with it. Don't worry I'll be fine.

Because he's going to catch the ball well and block just as good as some of our linemen. I see Jason Peters in him.

I havent seen him play one down...As a matter of fact I didnt even know who he was..Can he get down the seams and make those seam route catches?

Isn't this guy exactly what we need? NFL.com says he "moves the chains"... he had 46 receptions last year.

You clearly misinterpreted......."moves the chains".....as in, the guy who wears the orange vest on the sidelines who....."moves the chains". :lol:

I've lost my place....what round did the FO start losing touch? :lol:

Yeah, I've read all the stuff about him being a projected seventh-rounder. But I'll tell you what ... the Bills didn't spend a fourth round pick on this guy because they DIDN'T know something. I am going into this one saying I trust our personnel people. This'll be a nice little litmus test. The word I keep reading is "versatile" ... supposedly he has the potential to play a little H-back and/or pure fullback.