(OT) Bert Jones

Imo, Bert Jones ranks as one of the most sad injury stories in the history of sports.

As the qb of the Colts, this guy was awesome. Talent? He had touch on his passes AND a cannon for an arm. Not enough? He could run like a deer, and throw on the run. Oh, he was also (as I recall) pin-point accurate.

I watched him warm up once (sitting in the first row) at Shea Stadium before a jests game. It was a freezing cold day with strong winds. He threw the football as if it were a baseball, and the receiver was grunting in pain. True story.

Not that I am an expert by any means, but I am pretty sure that that he would have been in Canton if not for the career ending injury, and I am just wondering if anyone else here was lucky enough to watch him play.

Imo, Bert Jones ranks as one of the most sad injury stories in the history of sports.

As the qb of the Colts, this guy was awesome. Talent? He had touch on his passes AND a cannon for an arm. Not enough? He could run like a deer, and throw on the run. Oh, he was also (as I recall) pin-point accurate.

I watched him warm up once (sitting in the first row) at Shea Stadium before a jests game. It was a freezing cold day with strong winds. He threw the football as if it were a baseball, and the receiver was grunting in pain. True story.

Not that I am an expert by any means, but I am pretty sure that that he would have been in Canton if not for the career ending injury, and I am just wondering if anyone else here was lucky enough to watch him play.

71739[/snapback]

He was great. Never the same after losing to the Steelers in the playoffs.

71739[/snapback]

Saw him play, but I'm not OLD. :blink:

:doh:

What you got against Fergy?  He and Steve Freeman are my all-time favorite Bills!

71756[/snapback]

Critical mistakes at the worst possible times + whenever he was about to be sacked, he'd run backwards trying to get away & lose 10 more yards. Gary Marangi not panning out & taking his place was a big disappointment to me as a young Bills fan.

Wasn't Bert the guy who was always complaining about stuff?

71763[/snapback]

There is a great NFL films short on him - he was a cocky mother and played hurt (If I remember right he once played with a separated throwing shoulder for 3 games - the type of guy the Bills could use now.

Archie Manning was another guy who had it, but was just abused.

In '73 when Fergy was a rookie, he and Jihn Scorpan lived in the same apartment building as we did. Joe came up one Saturday and aske my wife and me down for dinner. His Dad had just flowin and brought in fresh fish. To our surprise, Bert Jones was there for dinner. Here is my wife sitting between Joe & Bert and me with no camera. Have football signed by Bert. True story. KG4ZDX

When I was a little kid (8-9) I liked the Colts (after the Bills) and I remember Jones could throw on a rope in the worst weather as well as in the good stuff.

My Uncle was a preist and taught at a St. Mary's Seminary in Baltimore when the Colts were holding thier training camps there. He knew I was a closet Colts fan and told me how Bert Jones was a really "Spiritual" guy. He was impressed how the guy was pretty religious even as a young QB. Jones made the time to get to mass before many of the practices and would spend time talking to my uncle who had no interest in football about anything but football. Uncle Gil was very impressed with him on how knowldgeable the guy was ("even for a football player").

Yes, I remember him. Probably the greatest Qb to ever play the game. Good arm, mobile enough, smart, quick release and could throw a long way. He regular wins the old timers QB contest every year during the Probowl. He has had coaches kid with him about coming back, because he was throwing the ball through the moving tires at 40 yards, everytime.

Yes, I remember him.  Probably the greatest Qb to ever play the game.  Good arm, mobile enough, smart, quick release and could throw a long way.  He regular wins the old timers QB contest every year during the Probowl.  He has had coaches kid with him about coming back, because he was throwing the ball through the moving tires at 40 yards, everytime.

71803[/snapback]

He was alot like Jimbo. At least until LC Greenwood got ahold of him...

Yes, I remember him.  Probably the greatest Qb to ever play the game.  Good arm, mobile enough, smart, quick release and could throw a long way.  He regular wins the old timers QB contest every year during the Probowl.  He has had coaches kid with him about coming back, because he was throwing the ball through the moving tires at 40 yards, everytime.

71803[/snapback]

You know, it is great to have ones opinion validated by a football expert. :blink: It is hard for me to label a qb as better than Montana. Jones was (in OUR opinion :doh: ) certainly more talented, but did not get a chance to mature ala Elway. Could you imagine?

You know VA, Losman reminds me of Jones in terms of the way he is built. He will never have his arm, but who will? I just hope that the Bills, somehow, will build the necessary wall to protect this kid.

This could be our shot at the prize.

You know, it is great to have ones opinion validated by a football expert.  :blink:  It is hard for me to label a qb as better than Montana. Jones was (in OUR opinion  :doh: ) certainly more talented, but did not get a chance to mature ala Elway. Could you imagine?

You know VA, Losman reminds me of Jones in terms of the way he is built. He will never have his arm, but who will? I just hope that the Bills, somehow, will build the necessary wall to protect this kid.

71822[/snapback]

I will never compare anyone to Jones. Jimbo had his heart but not his arm or mobility or quick release. Marino had the arm and release, but no mobility and no heart. Elway didn't have the arm.

In the short time he played, Jones was it, he was the best I ever saw play the position. I sill don't understand why he isn't in the Hall, he played 6 years, which is long enough especially with what he did.

You know, it is great to have ones opinion validated by a football expert.  :blink:  It is hard for me to label a qb as better than Montana. Jones was (in OUR opinion  :doh: ) certainly more talented, but did not get a chance to mature ala Elway. Could you imagine?

71822[/snapback]

I have a very hard time even mentioning Joe Montana in the same breath as "great quarterback". I understand why people do it but that doesn't make it valid.

Montana was the ultimate system QB who benefitted more from the personnel around him than any player I can recall. He'd have been a dismal failure anywhere but the WC offense or in a cold weather climate.

Think about the AFC Championship game in Orchard Park when he was flailing around and throwing quails all over the place. At his receiver's feet. 10 yards over their heads. Just no way the guy could play in the elements. Emminently beatable if it was raining or the wind was fairly stiff or worse.

Steve Young was twice the QB Joe Montana was. Phil Simms would have put up ridiculous numbers playing in Montana's place in San Francisco. I seriously doubt Montana would have done the same in the Meadowlands throwing to Phil McConkey and Stephan Baker.

I will never compare anyone to Jones.  Jimbo had his heart but not his arm or mobility or quick release.  Marino had the arm and release, but no mobility and no heart.  Elway didn't have the arm. 

In the short time he played, Jones was it, he was the best I ever saw play the position.  I sill don't understand why he isn't in the Hall, he played 6 years, which is long enough especially with what he did.

71824[/snapback]

Kelly was just as mobile as Jones in college.

Elway had an absolute rocket. I don't know what you're thinking.

Kelly was just as mobile as Jones in college.

Elway had an absolute rocket.  I don't know what you're thinking.

71829[/snapback]

I maybe be skewed but Jones had a cannon. Elways was good, but Jones was like Jay Shroeders, if you remember him. Plus Jones was accurate with it.

I maybe be skewed but Jones had a cannon.  Elways was good, but Jones was like Jay Shroeders, if you remember him.  Plus Jones was accurate with it.

71831[/snapback]

I've seen Elway and Schoeder play in person. Elway threw the ball as hard as any QB who's ever played. EVER.

Wasn't Bert the guy who was always complaining about stuff?

71763[/snapback]

He was a great QB, but after almost every play, he would go over and complain to the refs. He was the biggest whiner in the NFL.

I remember Bert Jones well. Ted Marchabroda was the Colts coach. Had a lightning fast WR named Roger Carr. I believe in 1975, we led the Colts 28-7 at the half in Rich Stadium. We had cashed in on multiple turnovers. Jones throws 4 TD's in the 2nd half and the Colts win 35-28. I remember RB Joe Washington making the greatest catch I ever saw in person. One handed leaping grab. Crowd even gave him an ovation.

Jones had it all . Was, without question, the biggest whiner in the NFL. Would just scream at the Officials all game for pass interference calls after an incomplete pass. The boos would rain down from the stands.

71803[/snapback]

Jones was far from the greatest QB to ever play the game but he was a good one. He had a nice strong arm with a soft touch and he was cocky. He played under Ted Marchibroda and for a couple of years it looked like they would make it to the superbowl but just came up short. He was also a crybaby and I think that hurt him a lot

71739[/snapback]

Yeah, he was one hell of a QB...could have been an all-time great if not for a career cut short by injury. As a kid, I remember being in awe of his talent and despising him at the same time for his crybaby attitude. One of the most notorious whiners in NFL history.

If I recall correctly, he went to the same high school as Joe Ferguson.

71743[/snapback]

i know Fergy went to the same high school as Bradshaw, in fact he broke most if not all of Bradshaw's passing records, some of which (at least up until a few years ago) still stand.

i think Jones was from the same region of Louisana but not the same school.

i don't have any favorite memories of him since the Colts were typically beating the Bills pretty good through the mid-70's. but i would compare him very favorably to Brett Favre today.