(OT) Bert Jones

Guest Jonesfan

He was considered the greatest QB when he played. Second over all pick after Houston took the "Tooz". He could do things no other QB could do. His arm was as strong as Elways but the Colts had a lousy defense and it always cost them in the playoffs. That '75 Colts team was the first to go from worst to first in league history. From 2-14 to 10-4 and the AFC East champs. They won three division titles in a row but had to play the Steelers twice and the Raiders in the playoffs. Tarkenton played for the Vikes back then and he said that Jones was hands down the best QB in the game. Thats when they should have had seeding in the play offs. The Vikings use to go to the Super Bowl and wouldn't have even made the playoffs in the AFC. They couldn't have even been a wild card. The AFC was really loaded back then. Steelers, Raiders, Dolphins, Oilers, Colts, Bills,etc. The NFC took a real butt kicking in the Super Bowl every year. I remember those games back then against the O.J. led Bills. Great memories.

Yes, I remember him.  Probably the greatest Qb to ever play the game.  Good arm, mobile enough, smart, quick release and could throw a long way.  He regular wins the old timers QB contest every year during the Probowl.  He has had coaches kid with him about coming back, because he was throwing the ball through the moving tires at 40 yards, everytime.

71803[/snapback]

Greatest ever? Johnny U is turning over in his grave.

I liked Bert Jones (I still have a picture of me in my old Colts jacket; I followed the Colts for a couple years until about '81), I just don't think he's even the best Colts QB of all time, let alone the best QB of all time.

Imo, Bert Jones ranks as one of the most sad injury stories in the history of sports.

As the qb of the Colts, this guy was awesome. Talent? He had touch on his passes AND a cannon for an arm. Not enough? He could run like a deer, and throw on the run. Oh, he was also (as I recall) pin-point accurate.

I watched him warm up once (sitting in the first row) at Shea Stadium before a jests game. It was a freezing cold day with strong winds. He threw the football as if it were a baseball, and the receiver was grunting in pain. True story.

Not that I am an expert by any means, but I am pretty sure that that he would have been in Canton if not for the career ending injury, and I am just wondering if anyone else here was lucky enough to watch him play.

71739[/snapback]

Fully agree. He was one of my favorite QBs back then. He was exciting to watch. His favorite target was Roger Carr who was also good. Lydell Mitchell had a similar story too and together they would have been very good.