Do you pay your utility bills in person?

JoeFerguson

Do you pay your utility bills in person?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you pay your utility bills in person?

• Yes, I love wasting time and am proud of the fact that I'm an idiot.
    • No.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know people still did that.

Most of the scumbags I work with do crap like this. They don't want anyone to know how much money they make, so they do everything in cash. This way they can keep their child support payments stay at a minimum. :pirate:

Semi related - I had a lady come into my bar one evening and use her debit card to pay for a to go meal. It declined. She asked me to run it again, so I did (probably hitting her with another NSF fee) and watched it decline again. I explained that it was declining and that if NSF was the reason then she could be hit every time I tried it. At this point she told me not to try again and asked if she could pay with a check... :pirate:

Semi related - I had a lady come into my bar one evening and use her debit card to pay for a to go meal. It declined. She asked me to run it again, so I did (probably hitting her with another NSF fee) and watched it decline again. I explained that it was declining and that if NSF was the reason then she could be hit every time I tried it. At this point she told me not to try again and asked if she could pay with a check.

that is a great story.

I found an ATM receipt last week of someone who took out $20, had a balance of $2 afterwards and paid $3 for the transaction.

Nothing like paying 12% of your net worth to take your cash out!

that is a great story.

I found an ATM receipt last week of someone who took out $20, had a balance of $2 afterwards and paid $3 for the transaction.

:pirate:

I have also worked in a Customer Care department where we do monthly billing fo a product that ships every 4 months. Essentially, for the average customer, we ship a 4 month supply every 4 months and bill every month until it is all paid off. Then we reship starting the cycle all over again. So they see a payment on the same date of every month. I had a guy call and ask me why we billed him. He was absolutely furious and cussed me out from the start of the call. He had received nine shipments and made 35 payments at the time. All on the same date over the last 3 years. He wanted to know why. I explained to him the policy and how the system worked. He said he never ordered it. He then hesitated and asked the name of who we were shipping to. I said a woman's name. Same last name as his btw. He said, "I see, well I apologize and I will find out exactly what this means when I get home."

I googled the area newspapers but never found a story of a "Husband kills Wife", but maybe he got away with it.

You used to be able to pay utility bills at most banks. Here in Cincy, it was but a few years ago that the power company service centers closed down their drive-thru and/or walk-up payment windows.

The T-W office in a mall near me takes payments. And why not?

I remember when bills could be paid by remitting U.S. postage stamps... :pirate:

Were you one of the two people who voted "yes" to this poll? My grandmother is in the category of someone who still is afraid of giving her credit card number out over the internet or phone, but she loves myspace. She claims that if she didn't run errands like this then she would never leave the house. I really can understand that. If you are under 70 years old and you still feel the need to pay bills in person, then I really have a problem with you.

Today I had to go to the Time Warner Cable office to return a friend's cable box. I actually had to wait in line behind about 6 or 7 people who were there to pay their bill!!!! I didn't know people still did that. These weren't old ladies either, they were fairly young people.

Sounds like you are the one wasting your time. Why doesn't your friend do it himself?

here in chesterfield county va, the water bill has to be either mailed or in person, they have yet to get an automated system in place. it ridiculous for an area with this kind of population and growth
It's the same thing with my local water company.

They actually say right on the bill that it's cool to "push your payment through the little slot in our door during off hours". So I do just that. Saves a stamp. :pirate:

Of course I pay everything else under the sun online, and using a cash-back reward credit card whenever possible.

I'm ALWAYS behind the person in line who's paying with a check at the grocery store.

Two things that irk the hell out of me:

1. Waiting to fill out the check information until the very end. They are scanning 75 items. In that time fill out the "to" part, sign your name, fill out the other pertinent info they need (phone number Drivers Lic #, whatever) and just leave the amounts blank until you get your total.

2. You can CLEARLY see they have a debit card in their check book, they just aren't using it because it's "hot check day"

I don't pay my utilities in person, but I also think there is some reason to mistrust online services, so I don't feel myself superior to anyone who chooses not to. I like the convenience, and the time saved, but realize there are some risks involved. I have had my identity stolen twice (in both instances, my account was accessed by someone via PayPal), and my bank account (not much in there) emptied. It all got taken care of, and the bank gave me every penny back, but it was a major inconvenience. Much more inconvenient than going to the local grocery store and paying my bills would have been.

He moved.

People who have real, flesh and bone friends are idiots. I hate people who waste their time interacting with people in person, because it is such a hassle for me...internet friends only...you can say whatever you want, and only hear a response if you feel like it. :pirate:

AJ, be glad you live in a relatively urban area. Nothing beats trying to get something at wal-mart, and watching the group in front of you pay for some things with a check, some with a card, and the rest with food stamps.

I had somebody doing that yesterday AND they were walking back and forth to put more stuff on the damn checkout conveyer belt.....

I have never ever assaulted a female.....but the things that were going through my mind as she did this like 3 times and turned around and looked at me with a "what the $$*%$* are you going to do about it" look on her face.

I pay all my bills online. Those are probably the same people that write a check at the grocery store in front of me. :cry:

Absolutely one of my biggest pet peeves. :lol:

that is a great story.

when I was in college, I had like 6.75 in my checking account, so I took back $4 worth of cans, deposited the $4, so I could withdraw $10 for the drink special at Mickey Rats City bar...good times...

when I was in college, I had like 6.75 in my checking account, so I took back $4 worth of cans, deposited the $4, so I could withdraw $10 for the drink special at Mickey Rats City bar...good times...

I've done that in college too. Deposit just enough so I could get $20 out for the weekend.

I pay most of my bills online, or they are set up for automatic withdraw. The only one that still gets mailed in is the water bill. They offer a way to pay it online, but the fees to do it that way are about $2. Why spend $2, when I can mail it in for 41 cents.

AJ, be glad you live in a relatively urban area. Nothing beats trying to get something at wal-mart, and watching the group in front of you pay for some things with a check, some with a card, and the rest with food stamps.

That's partly why I'm glad I do most of my shopping at odd hours due to my work schedule...that sort of thing would truly make me insane!

that is a great story.

Why are you collecting and looking at discarded ATM receipts ?