CB James signed by Bills

bobinaz

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that if he is now fully healthy he could add good veteran depth and be our nickel because i just don't think he could start but if he does great in camp then idc as long as he can not give up big plays and make big plays im fine.....

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ps i love the Bryant Scott re-signing because he is a good physical player who can come in on certain situations

Stroud for Pro Bowl 2008

Do not get the idea that I'm churping about a Super Bowl run, but this type of signing is JUST what the Patriots did prior to their first win against the Rams. He is a veteran, who makes the roster stronger, if he can stay healthy. The offseason is shaping up nicely, in my opinion, and offense is slated for April 26th!! Go Bills!!

Interesting signing.

Will James is my Favorite Player to be Kicked Out by Michigan (my alma mater), back when he was named Will Peterson. He was good his freshman year, very good his sophomore season, showed loads of potential... and then he got booted from the University for ordering a stripper to a dorm room party and then stealing $46 out of her purse. Niiiiiiice.

I will say this though: James/Peterson/whatever he is called now is not without talent. If he can commit himself and put in the effort he can help with depth in the secondary. Assuming he doesn't rob another stripper of course.

Interesting signing.

Will James is my Favorite Player to be Kicked Out by Michigan (my alma mater), back when he was named Will Peterson. He was good his freshman year, very good his sophomore season, showed loads of potential... and then he got booted from the University for ordering a stripper to a dorm room party and then stealing $46 out of her purse. Niiiiiiice.

I will say this though: James/Peterson/whatever he is called now is not without talent. If he can commit himself and put in the effort he can help with depth in the secondary. Assuming he doesn't rob another stripper of course.

haha - i had no idea they were the same person until this post. :doh:

he got booted from the University for ordering a stripper to a dorm room party and then stealing $46 out of her purse. Niiiiiiice.

If his playing career doesn't pan out, he could always run for governor of New York...

It's semantics. I would think that "nickel back" refers more to the idea that he doesn't start, comes in when three CBs are in, or on passing downs, rather than just playing the slot receiver in nickel formations. A lot of teams, including the Bills in the past, have put outside guys in the slot. I think James will be given every chance to start and if he beats out Greer, so be it. It should be a good fight. He does give us some size. I could easily see, like you suggest, Greer starting and James coming in in passing situations but playing outside while Greer moves in the slot.

As usual, Kelly, I think you got this one pretty much right on. Frankly, I think this guy has a really good chance to compete for the number two. When he was starting in NY, he was one of their two top corners. He said in an interview I read (no I don't have the link cuz it was like weeks ago) that his back feels really good and he played with it at the end of last season without any hitches or problems. If he is actually healthy, and I don't think we would have signed him if he wasn't, he may be our #2. Greer at nickel and Youboty as a #4 is a pretty good situation.

Keep in mind we also re-signed Bryan Scott which really shores up some depth at secondary. We should be able to focus on WR and TE in the first couple of rounds and get some depth at line and in the secondary in the later rounds. We should be in GREAT shape after the draft. This was another really savvy move by the FO. I'm really starting to think they can right the ship after so many years of sinking.

Wow, that was an interesting signing.

So.. uhm... it looks like we're drafting a WR in round 1?

Very interesting signing to say the least, yes...Although the coaching staff may only think of him as a nickel/dime corner and may still be high enough on a guy like McKelvin or Rodgers-Cromartie and to pull the trigger in round one. I'd personally like to see them focus on WR with #11 though, especially now that we added this depth. Antoine Cason, Brandon Flowers, Tracy Porter, etc. all might still be there in round two if they are still uneasy about the CB position.

I recall he had a few good years with the Gints, although there were some off field issues.

I'm guessing it's the reason for the name change. Let's hope he's grown up.

A couple of random thoughts..

1) This probably buys Ashton Youboty another year as our "young, promising corner". We probably won't draft another corner in the first three rounds due to having James locked up for 2 years. Ashton was one of the players Chris Brown mentioned as having been a frequent visitor to OBD since the end of the season and working hard. Hopefully he can reach his potential this year. He lost his rookie year due to his mom's death and he was an early entrant...so there is still time. It looked like he was getting better toward the end of last year.

2) I like the signing of Scott a lot. He was my favorite replacement player last year (where's Gene Hackman and Keanu Reeves when you need them) However, I would not be surprised to see Wendling on the field at SS this year a lot allowing Whitner to roam the field. Wendling is smart and athletic and really played well on special teams the last half of the year. I would love to see him evolve.

Philly paper says he was a bum in two years with the Eagles.

If that's true why did they try to sign him?

The Eagles were trying to re-sign James. The Texans were also after him, and the Falcons, preparing to trade DeAngelo Hall to the Raiders, got in the mix in the past couple of days. In the end, though, James looked at the situation in Buffalo and thought there would be a good opportunity to play.

It's cool that Buffalo was able to beat out those teams! :doh:

He missed 15 games in two years with Philly and played with a back injury. He ripped when he was on the Giants. If his back is healthy James is very talented

Hopefully not another Jason Webster. The Bills still need a CB in the first three rounds.

Haven't you heard, anybody in Philly sucks.

Great avatar Rayzer! If only she wasn't a scientologist, that kinda ruins the fantasy. :P

James is a backup third corner who has starting experience in the NFL. He has had some problems with durability issues throughout his career. He has some anticipation and route recognition. James is a physical corner with good size and competitive demeanor who has the ability to matchup versus bigger receivers. He is a good athlete with long arms and transition skills. He has an upright pedal, but can lower his hips and re-align his feet in transition. James has good short-area burst when closing on underneath routes. He can open his hips and run with vertical routes, but lacks good top-end speed to stay in phase. He is more natural from a press than off position. Can be overaggressive at times and will jump double moves. He can be effective in man-to-man situations when matching up outside on the perimeter. He is a willing tackler and plays under control in open space. He does a good job of using his hands and warding off blocks. Overall, James is a solid backup corner who provides good experienced depth at the position. However, he is still a young player who could be an average starter for some NFL teams.

Linkage

If that's true why did they try to sign him?

It's cool that Buffalo was able to beat out those teams! :doh:

Hopefully not another Jason Webster. The Bills still need a CB in the first three rounds.

Great avatar Rayzer! If only she wasn't a scientologist, that kinda ruins the fantasy. :P

The article I read disputes what Clayton says about Philly wanting to resign him. I would post the link, but my overpriced phone can not cut and paste. I found it on something called Philly scout or something simlar via google search for William James NFL.

Hopefully he will stay healthy.