Jets sign Bubba Franks

I don't want to join in and blast you, but do you really think Franks poses a threat? He has done nothing for years now.

I can't say for sure. No one can. My frustration lies in no one being invited in for consideration. The Jets have added an experienced TE who they think will help their young QB. It's a tactic I had hoped the Bills would employ for Edwards. IMO, Gaines was our best TE threat last year and he walked. Obviously, there's a lot of folks here convinced Franks doesn't know when to hang 'em up. But we'll face him twice next year as part of a revamped Jet offense. We'll see then.

I can't say for sure. No one can. My frustration lies in no one being invited in for consideration. The Jets have added an experienced TE who they think will help their young QB. It's a tactic I had hoped the Bills would employ for Edwards. IMO, Gaines was our best TE threat last year and he walked. Obviously, there's a lot of folks here convinced Franks doesn't know when to hang 'em up. But we'll face him twice next year as part of a revamped Jet offense. We'll see then.

Didnt we call in Troupe?

We signed anderson and signed Teyo Johnson, a very good LB and a pro bowl DT in a trade idk what else you want. especially with 8 picks? in this years draft. Not quite time to panic, the FR has a plan

Gaines was out best TE threat? You mean the guy that dropped a sure TD against Cleveland in the biggest game of the year? Yeah, he was scary to opposing secondaries.

I think it is safe to say what the bills are doing......

Is Bubba Franks really any better then Robert Royal? We are going to pick up a few key free agents that fit what they are trying to biuld and get the rest of it in the draft.

This is a strong draft for TE's....I dont WANT the bills to take a vet that is going to take valuable playing time away from the rook which we will most surely draft.

Also....I know most people dont remember but Shoeman looked pretty good before he got hurt (yeah I know it took the bills a little while to figure it out and put him on the field)

I really dont have a problem with any of this.....

Rookie Stats

Player Receptions Yards Average Tds

Crumpler 25 330 13.2 3

Shockey 74 894 12.1 2

Gates 24 389 16.2 2

Franks 34 363 9.0 1

H. Miller 39 459 11.8 6

Alexander 37 383 10.4 4

Clark 29 340 11.7 1

Brady 26 252 9.7 2

Witten 35 347 9.9 1

Granted these are not glowing numbers, but they beat these 2007 Stats

Gaines 25 215 8.6 2

Royal 25 248 9.9 3

The interesting thing, is the rookie TEs almost all showed vast improvement over those numbers in year 2. If we draft a good rookie TE, we can step ahead of where we are in year one, and quite possibly strengthen the roster for years to come. Most of the guys who were available had question marks surrounding their health, age, ability, or value for the dollar. Let's just hope we draft well.

I keep reading here that we need to get a receiver through free agency, and yes it would have been nice to see, but I was never sold on Bryant Johnson. Looking back over the history of this franchise, most of our best receivers, with the exception of James Lofton were drafted by the Bills. I am glad the front office did not get into a spending spree for a #2 receiver, even if we "have the money". I am as tired of missing the playoffs as any Bills fan, but would rather see us situated for the long haul than the short term.

I also believe that if the Bills draft well, and are patient we will see cap casualties closer to the start of the season, where veterans are displaced by younger players, and could come in for one or two good years to help solidify the line-up, and mentor younger players. Suprizing moves happen almost annually. Let's hope our player personnel guys continue to do their homework.

Yeah, yeah.. Crumpler, Utecht, Franks. You and OBD appear convinced none of them rated a stop by during FA. The likelyhood that all three of these tesed TE's fails miserably next year -where a rookie is a better option than all three of them- doesn't make much sense to me.

Tell me how you're not frustrated that these two glaring deficiencies haven't been addressed with at least some veteran influence. Where's the pie in the sky?

I'm not frustrated because what was available probably wasn't any better then what we currently have, or what we could get in the draft.

But hey, like someone said, if signing over the hill/past their prime "names" floats your boat, you probably shouldn't be a Bills fan.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/s...ded-to-te-corps

I've been quitely hoping since the start of FA that the Bills would address all 3 of their ridiculous needs: DT, WR & TE. Now that there's absolutely no one left we have to hope rookies will lift our embarrassing offense to some level of respectability. WR & TE are not positions that rookies typically come in and make a major difference. To say nothing of one of each on one team.. :pirate::lol:

For me, I'm done hoping and less than satisfied. :lol:

You do realize that we got more production out of Royal and Gaines than Green Bay got out of Franks, right?

Royal: 25-248 3 TD

Gaines: 25-215 2 TD

Franks: 18-132 3 TD

The Jets are mortgaging their near term in spite of the long term. They will be back in cap hell once these signings play out. While I agree that Crumpler or Utecht might have plugged a hole, they probably wanted too much money against the Bills budget. Right now it is a buyers (team) market. The closer it gets to draft time these players will be signing on the dotted line.

oh no what was our front office thinking? they didnt run out and sign a 90 year old tightend!

:censored:

I was really hoping the title of this post and content would be in jest when I clicked...sadly, I was mistaken.

Unbelievable.

:thumbsup:

Joe Montana for Bills QB!!!

Why do you think Franks is any good? In the Packers pass-happy offense and with Favre having a great year, Franks still did squat. It is time people stopped wanting FAs just because they recognize the name.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/s...ded-to-te-corps

I've been quitely hoping since the start of FA that the Bills would address all 3 of their ridiculous needs: DT, WR & TE. Now that there's absolutely no one left we have to hope rookies will lift our embarrassing offense to some level of respectability. WR & TE are not positions that rookies typically come in and make a major difference. To say nothing of one of each on one team.. :doh::P

For me, I'm done hoping and less than satisfied. :(