Mel Kiper

Bagel

In today's four round mock draft Mel has the Bills selecting:

1. Patrick Willis (LB Ole Miss -- APete gone to the Vikings at 7)

2. Antonio Pittman (RB OSU -- third RB selected)

3a. Jonathan Wade (CB TN)

3b. James Marten (OT Boston College -- curious pick in my opinion)

4. Rhema McKnight (WR ND)

I thought one of the surprising predictions was Daymeion Hughes going to Indy at pick 136. I know that his 40 times are lousy, but I watched him at Cal -- he's a playmaker at CB.

I thought one of the surprising predictions was Daymeion Hughes going to Indy at pick 136. I know that his 40 times are lousy, but I watched him at Cal -- he's a playmaker at CB.

For the most part that isn't a bad first day. I do take issue with Marten though (as did you). The Bills have no need for a first round tackle and from what I've read about Marten he's not quick enough to pull and trap as a guard so moving him inside isn't really an option. I don't think the Bills take a OT in the entire draft, much less on the first day.

I do like Wade a lot and if he's there in the 3rd he'd be a great pick for the Bills.

Out of curiosity, has anyone compared Mel Kiper's mock drafts to how the subsequent drafts actually unfold? We know that ESPN would rather shove the same "crappy" talent down our throats then give airtime to more deserving experts, and Kiper is a huge douche.

He is the same guy that predicited that the Pats could be the first 0-16 team in NFL history, the same year they won their first SB.

I like Mel's draft although wonder if Wade would pass our character test, I know in my mock I had us taking guys with problems too but in reality it might be another matter. Marten has both OG and OT at BC so think he be a good guy to have on the bench or maybe develop into a long term answer at LG if Duke Preston should happen to faulter. In terms of Hughes, a 4.6 plus forty time is horrible for a CB and play making aside speed factors big in terms of NFL and expect it will drop him to day 2 of the draft.

I like Mel's draft although wonder if Wade would pass our character test, I know in my mock I had us taking guys with problems too but in reality it might be another matter. Marten has both OG and OT at BC so think he be a good guy to have on the bench or maybe develop into a long term answer at LG if Duke Preston should happen to faulter. In terms of Hughes, a 4.6 plus forty time is horrible for a CB and play making aside speed factors big in terms of NFL and expect it will drop him to day 2 of the draft.

Jokeman,

I understand your point regarding Hughes, but I didn't see any lack of speed on the field (as much as it pains me to praise a Cal player since I'm a Stanford guy). In addition to his ball skills, Hughes is also an eager and effective tackler. I figured that a cover-2 team would grab him before the end of the third. But perhaps I should stop drinking before work.

Out of curiosity, has anyone compared Mel Kiper's mock drafts to how the subsequent drafts actually unfold?

How could that be done? He comes out with a new draft every time he needs to take a crap. By the time the draft arrives, he's got just about every possibility covered. Except when Marv's picking, of course.

Out of curiosity, has anyone compared Mel Kiper's mock drafts to how the subsequent drafts actually unfold? We know that ESPN would rather shove the same "crappy" talent down our throats then give airtime to more deserving experts, and Kiper is a huge douche.

He is the same guy that predicited that the Pats could be the first 0-16 team in NFL history, the same year they won their first SB.

Kiper is definitely a COMPLETE douche :lol: William Henderson called him out on it at last year's draft. It was hillarious. He's almost like the "Rosenhaus" of ESPN analysts. I wonder if some of these guys slide him a little under the table to get him to talk them up a bit the way he slobs all over some guys. I think we should put an actual draft beside Kiper's mock on the following Monday so we can all laugh and call him a jackass.

Looks fine to me. I like Irons more than Pittman, but Pittman would be a good choice. Wade may be a catch as well. Overall not a bad set of selections. Wide receiver and offensive tackle could fill a need as well, although I'm not familiar with either of the two mentioned.

Kiper is definitely a COMPLETE douche :lol: William Henderson called him out on it at last year's draft. It was hillarious. He's almost like the "Rosenhaus" of ESPN analysts. I wonder if some of these guys slide him a little under the table to get him to talk them up a bit the way he slobs all over some guys. I think we should put an actual draft beside Kiper's mock on the following Monday so we can all laugh and call him a jackass.

Rosenhaus is probably the best agent out there. Surely in the top three.

I would LOVE picking Huges up with our second 3rd rounder. McKnight would help us a lot on the goaline. I know I'm gonna get ripped on for backing the ND guy, but he has good hands, height and is a good jumper. Sure, McKNight's not gonna speed past anyone but we have a couple other guys on the team who can stretch the field.

I would LOVE picking Huges up with our second 3rd rounder. McKnight would help us a lot on the goaline. I know I'm gonna get ripped on for backing the ND guy, but he has good hands, height and is a good jumper. Sure, McKNight's not gonna speed past anyone but we have a couple other guys on the team who can stretch the field.

I am definitely behind Hughes, I've been talking about him for a month now. In the scenario that Kiper has (players falling to the same places, etc...) I would MUCH prefer to get Dallas Baker with our first 3rd and pick up Hughes with our 4th. Personally, I think Hughes will go to Indy at the end of the 3rd though. They have a hole to fill at CB and Hughes fits the system for them.

Dallas Baker would be a much better fit than McKnight. He's a big target that never hesitates to make catches in traffic, and he's huge in the endzone. He would never be a #1 WR, but he'd be perfect opposite Evans and would be a great slot receiver when needed.

We know that ESPN would rather shove the same "crappy" talent down our throats then give airtime to more deserving experts, and Kiper is a huge douche.

I love that everyone bashes the guy while pretending like they've seen BC play 2 games much less noticed their offensive tackle.

Nobody on this board would know d!*k about most of these college players if it weren't for Kiper.

Thank you Bagel,

I agree with your questioning of the Marten pick, especially considering the bodies we already have in place at that position. I believe whether our day one picks are filling in starting holes or not that these picks should be in positions where they could start shortly. For example, with the personnel on this team I doubt that a third round DT or OL is going to see much action or even run the risk of seeing much action. However, another LB or potentially a RB that dropped (Bush) could show something early, even if they are not penned in as starters. If given my druthers, and considering the state of our lines, I would rather look for a back-up OL or big DT in the later rounds, depending on availability, of course.

Jokeman,

I understand your point regarding Hughes, but I didn't see any lack of speed on the field (as much as it pains me to praise a Cal player since I'm a Stanford guy). In addition to his ball skills, Hughes is also an eager and effective tackler. I figured that a cover-2 team would grab him before the end of the third. But perhaps I should stop drinking before work.

His situation kind of reminds me of what happened to Kevin Thomas a few years ago. Thomas was rated by most as a 2nd/3rd round type guy before he ran a 4.64 at the combine. The Bills ended up drafting him in the 6th and he ended up being a pretty decent 3rd CB before he got hurt. I don't know if Hughes will fall that far, but most teams draft speed and athleticism early, and if there are question marks especially about a WR, CB, or RB prospect in that regard, that player is probably in trouble on draft weekend though he may ultimately succeed in the NFL.

I think Hughes will probably go in R4.

I have been following this a bit over theyear's and one guy DOES seem to get it better than the others. Rick Gosselin of the Dallas Morning Times. He whipped Mel again last year. Here's a report from the Pittsburgh tribune (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_450235.html):

Mel Kiper Jr. might be the self-proclaimed guru of the NFL draft, but he has nothing on Rick Gosselin and Clark Judge.

Gosselin, of the Dallas Morning News, and Judge, of CBS Sportsline.com, easily outscored Kiper in mock draft predictions for the first round of last Saturday's draft.

Gosselin and Judge had the highest scores among national prognosticators, according to an informal study conducted this week by the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

Credit was given if the expert had the player going to the correct NFL team -- even if that team's draft slot changed because of a trade.

Gosselin correctly identified 15 of the 32 first-round selections, including nine of the first 10. He even predicted that Santonio Holmes would fall into the Steelers' lap, although Gosselin didn't take into account that the Steelers would trade up to the 25th pick in order to get the Ohio State wide receiver.

Judge was next with 13 correct submissions. He hit six of his first seven picks and nine of the top 13. However, he erred when he had the Steelers picking Miami wide receiver Sinorice Moss with the final pick of the round.

Kiper? He had only seven picks identified, although to be fair his mock draft was submitted two days before the Houston Texans decided to make North Carolina State defensive end Mario Williams the No. 1 overall selection. And Kiper did have USC quarterback Matt Leinart falling to Arizona with the 10th pick.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sportsline.com ranked third on our list with 10 correct predictions in his mock draft.

Paul Zimmerman of Sports Illustrated should be awarded an asterisk next to his score of eight. Dr. Z admittedly was at a disadvantage because he had to submit his picks to the magazine a week before the newspaper/online pickers made their selections.

Being affiliated with the league apparently didn't result in NFL.com experts Vic Carucci and Pat Kirwan acquiring too much inside information. Carucci had just five correct picks, misfiring on 26 of his final 28 picks. Kirwan had only four right after whiffing on his first 18 selections.

It also was a long day in the war room for Tribune-Review columnist Mike Prisuta, who correctly identified just five of the 32 selections in his mock draft.

Here's the link to Gosselin's latest mock - he has us taking Lynch: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...ft.2dc3375.html