32 killed in Va. Tech shootings

stuckincincy

There's a huge difference between a small school like RPI and a large commuter school like VT. RPI only has roughly 6000 students, and most of them are on-campus. VT has over 25,000 students.

CW

I'm not a big fan of law suits but if the facts are as I believe, this is a case of institutionized stupidity. The president of the u will be lucky to avoid jail time for gross negligence.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a big fan of law suits but if the facts are as I believe, this is a case of institutionized stupidity. The president of the u will be lucky to avoid jail time for gross negligence.

You've obviously never been on a large commuter campus before. I went to the University of Minnesota (largest campus in the country) and there's no way in hell they could lock down the whole campus. It's impossible.

Let's put it another way. I live in a city of about 11,000 people, less than half the size of VT. If someone comes into my house and kills my wife and I, should the whole city be locked down? Because you know, that person could go into the local grocery store and gun down 33 more people. If that does happen, are you saying the mayor of the city and the police chief should both be put in prison?

Sounds crazy, no? I don't see how it's much different. Why can't people just accept that bad things can happen and there isn't necessarily anyone to blame (except the person who pulled the trigger!)?

The authorities don't even know all the facts yet. Why don't you give them a ring and let them know what's up? :thumbsup:

You've obviously never been on a large commuter campus before. I went to the University of Minnesota (largest campus in the country) and there's no way in hell they could lock down the whole campus. It's impossible.

Let's put it another way. I live in a city of about 11,000 people, less than half the size of VT. If someone comes into my house and kills my wife and I, should the whole city be locked down? Because you know, that person could go into the local grocery store and gun down 33 more people. If that does happen, are you saying the mayor of the city and the police chief should both be put in prison?

Sounds crazy, no? I don't see how it's much different. Why can't people just accept that bad things can happen and there isn't necessarily anyone to blame (except the person who pulled the trigger!)?

Hell, why can't we just accept that there's no "one size fits all" solution to security? What may be right in one situation might be completely counterproductive in another (e.g. giving airplane hijackers immediate control of the plane to save passenger lives, thus giving them the opportunity to play kamikaze with airliners). It's entirely possible that putting VT into lockdown would have given the gunman MORE victims when he chained the doors of the building shut with more people inside it.

Or we can assign blame and lionize the victims. It's the American Way, after all.

Great example, I was just about to post that until I read yours. Single murders happen all over cities every day. No one attempts to put the entire city or town on lockdown. It's just not reasonable.

I'm sick of this blame sh--. sh-- happens, and there are psychos everywhere. Now, i do question why the school officials didnt at least attempt to get out some info about what was going on (as far as we know), but i dont blame them in the least. As was said above, its a big ass campus with almost half commuters. If something like this happened here at FSU, half the people would be to campus on their way to class before they had a chance to even find out what was going on.

At first i was of the mindset that things could have been handled differently, but looking at the facts, they were faced with what they thought was a domestic situation. The guy went in and shot 1 or 2 people in a dorm room. Its irrational to assume that the guy would then randomly go into another building and shoot 30 odd other people.

I'm sick of this blame sh--. sh-- happens, and there are psychos everywhere. Now, i do question why the school officials didnt at least attempt to get out some info about what was going on (as far as we know), but i dont blame them in the least. As was said above, its a big ass campus with almost half commuters. If something like this happened here at FSU, half the people would be to campus on their way to class before they had a chance to even find out what was going on.

At first i was of the mindset that things could have been handled differently, but looking at the facts, they were faced with what they thought was a domestic situation. The guy went in and shot 1 or 2 people in a dorm room. Its irrational to assume that the guy would then randomly go into another building and shoot 30 odd other people.

But why weren't they dropping pallets of water on campus after the first shooting?????

I thought I heard the chief of security for the school say it was off at 7 am.

Never seen a college campus when it was on later than 8am. 10am would actually be pretty ridiculously restrictive, considering classes probably start between 7 or 8.

Did you want them to lock down the campus or cancel classes? The two are very different things, especially since they have 15,000 commuter students. BTW, the reason they didn't cancel classes is they thought the 7AM shooter fled the campus, and people were probably safer in the classrooms. Little did they know he'd go to the engineering school, chain lock the entrances and start shooting people.

Well then something does not add up does it? If they had reason to believe the killer left the school than they would have had to know who he was and why he killed the first two. Otherwise, it would be shotty police work to guess the motivations of an unknown assailant and assume he left campus putting the welfare of the entire campus community at risk. They should have assumed nothing without evidence locked down the campus, broadcast that the school has been locked down and cancelled, called in the feds, and set up manned road blocks at each road entrance to the school.

Well the press conference right now the police chief just said that the identity of the shooter in the classes did not match the description of the person who did the shooting in the earlier incident. Well there goes that theory.

If they had reason to believe the killer left the school than they would have had to know who he was and why he killed the first two.

Or it may have had something to do with the fact that NOTHING HAPPENED FOR TWO HOURS AFTER THE FIRST SHOOTING.