32 killed in Va. Tech shootings

stuckincincy

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy what a horror. The morning after the first class I taught at Appalachian School of Law a disgruntled student came in and killed the Dean, the Associate Dean and then went to the cafeteria and shot and killed a student (single mother of one.) He was overcome by a number of students or the casualties could have been much worse. What a thing for the parents and loved ones, the school, the community. My heart really does go out to them..

Amongst the multitudes of lousy and horrific things concerning this massacre, I am truly hating the news reports on all networks that cannot help themselves from saying over and over that this is the worst shooting at a school in history. And now it has been reported that since there are (allegedly) 31 dead, it is the worst single shooting incident in US history. I can just imagine there are 1000 psychos around this country in a dark room thinking how cool it would be to beat that record.

Sadly, you are absolutely right.

Amongst the multitudes of lousy and horrific things concerning this massacre, I am truly hating the news reports on all networks that cannot help themselves from saying over and over that this is the worst shooting at a school in history. And now it has been reported that since there are (allegedly) 31 dead, it is the worst single shooting incident in US history. I can just imagine there are 1000 psychos around this country in a dark room thinking how cool it would be to beat that record.

I think that is as true as it is prescient.

I hate to say this but you know some sick people at these news stations want the numbers to be high...

Higher number = Ratings.

Don't believe me? My friend said when he worked at a major news network..when Pricess Di was killed...people in the newsroom were celebrating and giving high fives.

Hence the old saying, "if it bleeds, it leads".

Why?

The first incident took place at around 7am in a dorm. At 9:30am, when the 2nd half of the shooting apparently took place, they still had all the kids in their classes and didn't alert any of them of the first incident or of a potenial threat. Maybe they took the appropriate actions, we certainly don't have all the details, but I just have a feeling the media will jump on this...

I assume he means because there was two hours between the first shooting and the second, and that they didn't do more to alert the students and protect them because they knew the guy was still on the loose.

If found negligent, the university could be sued out of existence.

I assume he means because there was two hours between the first shooting and the second, and that they didn't do more to alert the students and protect them because they knew the guy was still on the loose.

bingo. lock down the students who are in the dorms and don't allow off campus students to come in until you are sure you have a handle on things after the first shooting...but like I said earlier, we don't have the full details yet, maybe the school did take appropriate action.

And that would be a great benefit to our society. :thumbsup:

Of course you're right, there are going to be loads of lawsuits.

Well its a land grant - so it is an open question - can the state of Virginia be sued out of existence.

It really opens up some constitutional questions.

The first incident took place at around 7am in a dorm. At 9:30am, when the 2nd half of the shooting apparently took place, they still had all the kids in their classes and didn't alert any of them of the first incident or of a potenial threat. Maybe they took the appropriate actions, we certainly don't have all the details, but I just have a feeling the media will jump on this...

Which is nonsense: at 8am, they were investigating a single shooting incident, with one dead and one injured, in a single dorm room. It is NOT standard procedure to assume that an act of violence on a college campus predicates an even greater act of violence two hours later in a location NOT in close proximity to the original crime (VA Tech being a rather large campus).

But like you say, the media will jump on it, senseless know-nothings that they are.

Which is nonsense: at 8am, they were investigating a single shooting incident, with one dead and one injured, in a single dorm room. It is NOT standard procedure to assume that an act of violence on a college campus predicates an even greater act of violence two hours later in a location NOT in close proximity to the original crime (VA Tech being a rather large campus).

But like you say, the media will jump on it, senseless know-nothings that they are.

I wonder what the SOP is for locking down 20,000 students across 2600 acres - when the shooter could very well be one of the students they are "locking down"?

I wonder what the SOP is for locking down 20,000 students across 2600 acres - when the shooter could very well be one of the students they are "locking down"?

I think it goes:

Step one: Wait for the government to arrive.

Step two: Start dropping pallets of bottled water.

Step three: Get the opinion of Al Sharpton.

When the unidentified shooter could very well be one of the students.

I don't even know how you assess negligence on the school in this case...but I'm sure some shyster ambulance-chaser knows. And I'm sure it has something to do with some "These completely unrelated bomb threats that turned out to be nothing are, in retrospect, indicative of something about to happen even though they're completely unrelated to what happened" lahjik.