32 killed in Va. Tech shootings

stuckincincy

Why?

Already started. I was listening to the Q&A with the college president and he was being raked over the coals by the media. Why did it take so long, why did it take 10 minutes for off campus police to get to the first shooting, why didn't they know right away who did the first shooting. On and on... He sounded like he wanted to kill some of the media himself.

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Already started. I was listening to the Q&A with the college president and he was being raked over the coals by the media. Why did it take so long, why did it take 10 minutes for off campus police to get to the first shooting, why didn't they know right away who did the first shooting. On and on... He sounded like he wanted to kill some of the media himself.

They do have to ask these questions. That is their job and we need to know the answers to them. It is too early to ask them and to expect a serious, well-thought out and comprehensive answer but it does need to be asked. What it doesn't need to become is a 24-7-365.25 witch hunt just looking for someone to over-blame and sue.

They do have to ask these questions. That is their job and we need to know the answers to them. It is too early to ask them and to expect a serious, well-thought out and comprehensive answer but it does need to be asked. What it doesn't need to become is a witch hunt just looking for someone to over-blame and sue.

That's usually step 2.

- Who to blame?

Let me get this straight they have a desperate unknown, armed and dangerous assailant on the loose that just killed 2 people and the brain trust at VT decide they have everything under control and don’t need to lock the campus down or at the very least cancel classes? WTF?

bingo. lock down the students who are in the dorms and don't allow off campus students to come in until you are sure you have a handle on things after the first shooting...but like I said earlier, we don't have the full details yet, maybe the school did take appropriate action.

Nice leap. They absolutely should have known that this person was going to go kill a bunch of people because he killed one guy at a college. You know, because it's happened dozens of times in human history.

I love the American "mind." Start looking for someone to blame first. You're right. They should have mobilized their entire force to search what is a small city, ignoring the other (however many) millions of people they're responsible for over a much broader area. They should have stopped everyone from living their lives until they found the proverbial needle in the haystack. Nothing like ignoring reality.

At the end of the day, this was a single guy who did a really bad thing. I'm actually surprised, given how many idiots there obviously are, that stuff like this doesn't happen more often.

I wonder what the SOP is for locking down 20,000 students across 2600 acres - when the shooter could very well be one of the students they are "locking down"?

I don't know but when a former RPI student committed suicide on campus a few weeks ago they invoked every security procedure known to man including flooding the campus with local police and locking down and cancelling classes. For a suicide!! Of course, they thought it was a murder initially.

They do have to ask these questions. That is their job and we need to know the answers to them. It is too early to ask them and to expect a serious, well-thought out and comprehensive answer but it does need to be asked. What it doesn't need to become is a 24-7-365.25 witch hunt just looking for someone to over-blame and sue.

Is there any chance that isn't going to happen?

Let me get this straight they have a desperate unknown, armed and dangerous assailant on the loose that just killed 2 people and the brain trust at VT decide they have everything under control and don’t need to lock the campus down or at the very least cancel classes? WTF?

Did you want them to lock down the campus or cancel classes? The two are very different things, especially since they have 15,000 commuter students. BTW, the reason they didn't cancel classes is they thought the 7AM shooter fled the campus, and people were probably safer in the classrooms. Little did they know he'd go to the engineering school, chain lock the entrances and start shooting people.

If you had to bet your life savings on whether or not parents woudl sue or not sue, what would you bet?

To paraphrase the university president: We thought the killings in the dorm were a domestic dispute and we thought the assailent had left the campus so we didn't warn anyone. His next job will be a janitor for Mcdonalds, if he's lucky. With a half semester of law school, I could win a big bucks case against VT on that statement alone.

Yeah, because evacuating all the classrooms and causing a mass chaotic panic with a murderer on the loose would have seemed a much better option at the time. Everyone's an expert when it comes to hindsight.

Not directed at you AJ1....just me voicing my opinion.

Can you believe what happened today at VT? 32 people dead and somewhere around 15 injured in a shooting that started early this morning in a dorm and moved to an academic building. Worst school shooting in the history of the US. Its so sad, that campus is going to have a hard time recovering.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/us/16cnd...irginiashooting

Yeah, because evacuating all the classrooms and causing a mass chaotic panic with a murderer on the loose would have seemed a much better option at the time. Everyone's an expert when it comes to hindsight.

Not directed at you AJ1....just me voicing my opinion.

Mass panic vs 30 deaths. Believe everyone connected with security is going down with the entire administration on this one. I would bet $10,000 on it.