32 killed in Va. Tech shootings

stuckincincy

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mass panic vs 30 deaths. Believe everyone connected with security is going down with the entire administration on this one. I would bet $10,000 on it.

Would it have been prudent for them to secure every single rest area in a 200 mile radius of Blacksburg, as that's where the perp was likely headed?

Mass panic vs 30 deaths.

Playing Devil's advocate on this one. I know the Whitman shootings happened in August, but say they evacuated the classrooms at UT while he was up in the tower. I'm not trying to downplay the sensless loss of 30+ lives, but I don't understand how one could say...at the time...they should evacuate the classrooms with an armed gunman on the loose. Crowds of panicked people could possibly make easy targets, no?

Can you believe what happened today at VT? 32 people dead and somewhere around 15 injured in a shooting that started early this morning in a dorm and moved to an academic building. Worst school shooting in the history of the US. Its so sad, that campus is going to have a hard time recovering.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/us/16cnd...irginiashooting

No? What happened?

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=63080

Mass panic vs 30 deaths. Believe everyone connected with security is going down with the entire administration on this one. I would bet $10,000 on it.

That is 100% hindsight. Why do you evacuate tens of thousands of people because there was a murder two hours ago and the murderer apparently fled the scene? Especially when the initial shootings appeared to be caused by a love triangle or whatever. Based on the initial shootings, I don't think anyone would have anticipated what the killer had in mind for two hours later.

Let me get this straight they have a desperate unknown, armed and dangerous assailant on the loose that just killed 2 people and the brain trust at VT decide they have everything under control and don’t need to lock the campus down or at the very least cancel classes? WTF?

Except they didn't know he was desperate, dangerous, or on campus.

Other than that, you have everything straight. :thumbsup:

Are people honestly calling this a failure of public safety?

The guy was gunning down people in secured buildings.

If someone wants to start killing people, it isn't that hard to do.

That may disturb people - but it aint rocket science.

That is 100% hindsight. Why do you evacuate tens of thousands of people because there was a murder two hours ago and the murderer apparently fled the scene? Especially when the initial shootings appeared to be caused by a love triangle or whatever. Based on the initial shootings, I don't think anyone would have anticipated what the killer had in mind for two hours later.

Don't even bother. The message board lawyer wanna-be's are on a roll.

Playing Devil's advocate on this one. I know the Whitman shootings happened in August, but say they evacuated the classrooms at UT while he was up in the tower. I'm not trying to downplay the sensless loss of 30+ lives, but I don't understand how one could say...at the time...they should evacuate the classrooms with an armed gunman on the loose. Crowds of panicked people could possibly make easy targets, no?

Apparently, you didn't read one of my earlier posts. A few weeks ago, at RPI in Troy, NY, the campus cops found a body at the base of a stairwell of a campus building. They thought the person had been shot by a sniper (although actually a suicide). The Administration immediately initiated all their security procedures including a campus lockdown. There were no reports of an ensuing panic that I'm aware of.

Are people honestly calling this a failure of public safety?

The guy was gunning down people in secured buildings.

If someone wants to start killing people, it isn't that hard to do.

That may disturb people - but it aint rocket science.

Actually, they're calling it in hindsight a failure to do what's clear only in hindsight.

Which means congressional hearings will be organized within the week.

The anti gun nuts are already on the move. I caught a talk show here "over the rainbow" (SF) where the caller was saying that this will keep happening until they ban assault weapons. The guy used a 9 mm from what I understand.

Apparently, you didn't read one of my earlier posts. A few weeks ago, at RPI in Troy, NY, the campus cops found a body at the base of a stairwell of a campus building. They thought the person had been shot by a sniper (although actually a suicide). The Administration immediately initiated all their security procedures including a campus lockdown. There were no reports of an ensuing panic that I'm aware of.

There's a huge difference between a small school like RPI and a large commuter school like VT. RPI only has roughly 6000 students, and most of them are on-campus. VT has over 25,000 students.

CW

I've been to RPI and I've been to VT. Suffice to say, it's a lot easier to lock down RPI than VT. Plus, the shootings in the school were the result of a lockdown situation, where people we shot inside the building.

PS - the school president just said that they had a 7AM shooting suspect in custody, and were questioning him. Obviously it wasn't the guy.

The anti gun nuts are already on the move. I caught a talk show here "over the rainbow" (SF) where the caller was saying that this will keep happening until they ban assault weapons. The guy used a 9 mm from what I understand.

Jack Thompson, an anti-videogame lawyer is already blaming "murder simulators" like Grand Theft Auto :thumbsup:

There's a huge difference between a small school like RPI and a large commuter school like VT. RPI only has roughly 6000 students, and most of them are on-campus.

CW

There's also a huge difference between finding two victims in a dorm room, and finding a body in a public stairwell. Like he said, the police at RPI thought there was a sniper...the police at VA Tech thought there was a domestic dispute.

Two unrelated shootings two hours apart ? That is seriously weird... :thumbsup:

Let me rephrase that, VT president said that after the 7AM shooting, they were questioning a guy who they thought was the suspect. Then the search turned up nothing in his room or on him, and started looking for the other guy, who they thought fled the campus.