ESPN/PFW Chat

JoeF

I would be ok with a swap of 1st round picks and we get Turner......

Why not stay put and hope to get Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch.......I don't see these guys being any worser than Michael Turner....I hate the aspect of giving up draft picks at this time and also to a super bowl contending team like the chargers....

Today I hated the fact that the Colts, Ravens and Patriots got 3-4 draft picks in the 4th, 5th

and 6th rounds as compensation picks for players lost to FA....You don't want to let these

teams stockpile draft picks for the long run.....

Why not stay put and hope to get Adrian Peterson or Marshawn Lynch.......I don't see these guys being any worser than Michael Turner....I hate the aspect of giving up draft picks at this time and also to a super bowl contending team like the chargers....

Today I hated the fact that the Colts, Ravens and Patriots got 3-4 draft picks in the 4th, 5th

and 6th rounds as compensation picks for players lost to FA....You don't want to let these

Drafting Peterson/Lynch at 12 would likely be a hell of a lot easier on Ralph's bank account as well. Last year's 12th pick, Haloti Ngata, signed for $11.9M over 5 years. And compared to a 2nd round pick, its no contest at all financially.

3rd this year and 3rd next year. Have you guys actually seen him play? He's nasty and I love his energy. We get him and we can focus on LB. Get willis at 12 and then trade back into the late first and get Timmons. I would LOVE this year if we could pull that off

AJ Smith is just doing his job. He is waiting it out and seeing if any team loses in the game of chicken first and gives up a first rounder for him. All the way up to the draft, and even throughout the first round, Smith can hold Turner. But basically, IMO, he is thinking he will have to end up with a second round pick. He's waiting to see if the Bills or the Packers or another team bites. When he decides that no one is going to offer a first, he will start to talk seriously about a second. And that's where I expect it to end up. Personally, I would trade the Bills #2 pick for him and be very happy with that. We instantly would have a good offense.

That's the deal breaker. why trade away a pick and sign the dude to a $30 mill deal? I'll take my chances on a rookie 2nd or 3rd rounder at a modest price tag

Well, they may be willing to do the trade for our 2nd and have him play some of the year under the existing contract and towards the end of the season or during the bye week, extend him for 5 yrs only after determining he is or will become be a true #1 back...

Well, they may be willing to do the trade for our 2nd and have him play some of the year under the existing contract and towards the end of the season or during the bye week, extend him for 5 yrs only after determining he is or will become be a true #1 back...

existing contract??? :thumbdown:

Some stuff that was said by Trent Modglin of Pro football weekly in his ESPN chat. A lot more on Turner then I thought:

mike; fallbrook, CA: In light of the Shaub deal between then Falcons and Texans, You have to believe that Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith is going to shop Michael Turner for the best price he can get before the draft; he says the phones have been ringing and I still feel that the Packers, Bills or Browns will step up with a creative and fair offer; AJ loves young talent and will not let him walk away next season without any compensation;

Trent Modglin: (4:03 PM ET ) Funny Mike, I actually just put a call into Turner's agent right before I logged on to see what was going on. Unfortunately, I got his voice mail. However, I think AJ Smith will have to listen to deals that will come in the weeks leading up to the draft, especially if a first-round pick is involved for a backup RB he's likely to lose next season anyway. I hear that the Bills, Packers and Browns are most interested, in that order.

Eric, Costa Mesa: Any idea what Anthony Gonzales ran at his pro day and where you might see him going in the draft?

Trent Modglin: (4:42 PM ET ) I like Gonzalez a lot, Eric. He ran in the mid-4.4s at the combine. I think he'd be a perfect complementary No. 2 wideout in the NFL, and I know the Vikings and Chargers are fond of him. I'd expect him to go in the second round, depending on how he works out in the coming weeks.

Hayden (WI): Would Michael Turner be good in the zone blocking scheme in Green Bay, and what would the Packers have to give up to get him?

Trent Modglin: (4:44 PM ET ) I think he would be good in a zone blocking system, Hayden. He's powerful with a good burst and can put a foot in the ground and cut-back well. I don't see the Chargers coming down too much from a first-round pick, which would mean sacrificing the 16th pick, where the Pack could have Marshawn Lynch out of Cal. Tough call, but one that we may see the Packers have to make.

Jeff (boston): Chargers question...wr and ss are a must...any chance they move up to get Landry?

Trent Modglin: (4:46 PM ET ) They could, Jeff. I wouldn't put it past them, especially if the aforementioned Turner is involved. Put Landry back there with Marlon McCree and three solid corners, and that would be trouble for the AFC.

Ryan (San Diego): Trent, the public perception of the draft is that the Chargers need to take a wr every year, and every year it doesn't happen in the first round. They have been a juggernaut offense the last 2 seasons without any big names..will this catch up with them soon?

Trent Modglin: (5:01 PM ET ) Good question, Ryan. It hasn't caught up with them yet, but it sure could have helped to have a true No. 1 in the loss to the Patriots in the playoffs. They really like Vincent Jackson, and for good reason. With some seasoning, he could turn into a No. 1. But regardless, this is an area that needs to be addressed. Eric Parker makes some tough catches, but he should be a No. 3. I think it would only help open things up further for the running game and Antonio Gates in the middle.

Katelyn (Syracuse, NY): Do you think Buffalo will wait to see if Adrian Peterson falls to them at 12 before dealing for Michael Turner?

Trent Modglin: (4:58 PM ET ) If Adrian Peterson falls to 12, I'll swim across Lake Michigan. I think their best bet is to try to trade up or grab someone like Kenny Irons out of Auburn or Lorenzo Booker from FSU later on in the second or third to tandem with the A-Train.

Katelyn (Syracuse, NY): Do you think Buffalo will wait to see if Adrian Peterson falls to them at 12 before dealing for Michael Turner?

Trent Modglin: (4:58 PM ET ) If Adrian Peterson falls to 12, I'll swim across Lake Michigan. I think their best bet is to try to trade up or grab someone like Kenny Irons out of Auburn or Lorenzo Booker from FSU later on in the second or third to tandem with the A-Train.

And that's exactaly what I'd do before waiting to contact the chargers about turner. I still wouldnt give up 12. I'd take a lb pat willis preferably and then work something out with sd. I still wouldn't give higher then a 3rd for turner though.

Trading for Turner without a reasonably priced extension doesn't make any sense. So I don't see how this trade can wait until draft day. I'm happy to give up #44 if Turner is a reasonably priced Bill for three or four years. But if he thinks he is worthy of big back money without having proved it as a starter, or if he would rather wait and test free agency and possibly be a one year rental, then I would take the best back at #44 instead.

I would LOVE to read about getting turner for our second rounder, and a day two pick if needed as well, but only if it is conditional on an extension.

For the AJ stuff, he will weigh two things: best offer he can get (#44 will be a good player who will be theirs for pretty cheap for five years) vs. a backup running back who they really hope stays off the field all year before walking. Now for a team with this talent and being right in the middle of things and wanting to win, we can't undervalue what a backup running back means (can't lose a year just because LT pulls a hammy and you don't have anybody to back him up). But when push comes to shove I think AJ would rather have the #44 pick than a backup running back, and if he can't do better from GB or cleveland he would make that deal.

I could be wrong, or overestimating this kind of thing, but isn't there alot of bad blood between the Bills organization and AJ Smith? If so, I think the egos involved would really have to be sure that they were getting the better of the deal. It just seems unlikely that the Bills would feel good about a deal with the Chargers.

I could be wrong, or overestimating this kind of thing, but isn't there alot of bad blood between the Bills organization and AJ Smith? If so, I think the egos involved would really have to be sure that they were getting the better of the deal. It just seems unlikely that the Bills would feel good about a deal with the Chargers.

Not between Smith and Marv, who remain very good friends.

Worser? Really?